Striker’s Club Problems Could Become Newcastle Opportunity

We thought all the trouble was over between Sochaux and Newcastle target Modibo Maiga.

Modibo Maiga – to train with Reserves

But in the French Daily L’Equipe today, there is news involving Sochaux chairman Alexandre Lacombe, who says the French club’s situation with Modibo Maiga and also with Kevin Anin, who is seeking new terms in his contract,  has become “unmanageable.”

We all know that back in the summer Maiga tried to force a move to Newcastle near the end of the transfer window by going on strike at his club – the striker went on strike.

He missed a few games but then was back playing by the end of the transfer window, but now both Modibo and Anin have been told to train with the Reserves.

On the last day of the transfer window last month, Newcastle were closest to doing a deal for Maiga, but Sochaux pulled out of that deal in the afternoon, for no real reason.

It seems to us that Lacombe likes to come over as the tough guy at the club, and he certainly seems to court publicity.

Remember it was the Sochaux Chairman who reported Newcastle to FIFA because of their supposed illegal approach for the Mali striker, and we’ve heard nothing since about that,  by the way.

This is what Lacombe told L’Equipe today:

“We are working with the ones who want to work,”  “I told them what I had to say – that is enough – it has become unmanageable”

“Now it is just up to them to let me know when they will be ready to be serious and reliable.”

First team manager Mecha Bazdarevic agreed with his Chairman (that’s  a surprise), and had this to say:

“It has lasted two months now. We have been docile and tolerant enough. They must not do that, they have to respect the club; the group; the job.”

“They have been put apart until it will be sorted out. It could last two or three days, we will see.”

Maigi is not accepting any of the official party line from the French club,  and thinks the Chairman is simply punishing him for his actions in the summer, as Modibo told L’Equipe.

“I am not thinking about the summer anymore, I just want to play,”   “The chairman is the boss, but it is useless to keep me and treat me that way.”

“I will go with the reserves and give my best, but I can’t understand. Maybe he wants revenge.”

It’s interesting that the same thing happened with Ben Arfa last summer, when the French International also went on strike to push through a move to Newcastle.

But Sochaux will also find out that it is very difficult to keep dissatisfied players in their ranks, and to us, this is a perfect opportunity for Newcastle to tie up a deal for the 23 year-old, that can be executed on January 1st.

That’s if  Maiga is still a striker target for Newcastle.

Maiga was wrong to have gone on strike, and did himself no favors at all,  but this is also rather poor handling of the situation by the French club.

Nobody comes out of this looking like a winner.

Well except maybe Newcastle.

• redondo77

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Anyone know info about Zamblera? He supposed to be quick and good finnisher.

• roshan MAGPIE

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM

if he dosent wants to play for them now then bid a loan bid for him now

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Just seen the new sign at sjp on the east stand. Makes the place look cheap and tacky, just like his main business. Disgrace !

• WWJBD

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM

He brought this on himself

He went on strike and acted unprofessionally so what are they meant to do with him? Fair play to them I say

• redondo77

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM

It just shows that he has no sense of professionalism.

• geordie.In.Taipei

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM

@roshan: i dont think we can loan him now. Im not a 100% but pretty sure top league clubs cant bring in loans during the loan window….just loan them out. Maybe someone knows more on this than me?”

• redondo77

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:06 AM

still better than being parasites like xisco and owen

• redondo77

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:11 AM

when i look at french clubs uniforms, they looklike racing uniforms. so many advertisment

• WWJBD

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:13 AM

How is Xisco a parasite? He wants to play but can’t

And Owen was plagued by injuries when he did play for us he was pretty good in all fairness

• markmac

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM

redondo – i thought i read that zamblera had left for someone in italy? might be wrong though,

• Munster Mag

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Footballers are just overpaid dimwits and scumbags. I hope we look away from this guy ….I admire clubs who ignore the pathetic bleatings of their players who scream to move to other clubs just for a pile more money. Spurs ( Modric) and Man City ( Tevez) have both ignored their players who have tried this tactic. Eventually, the players forget about it, go back to what they know ( football, computer games , honeys) and play on. Tevez in particular is a scumbag. I hope City dont win the league. I dont like Man U, buy City stink of cheap easy money with some of their players on 200K a week. Farcical.

• redondo77

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

They have very high wages, but for me personally Xisco didin’t work that hard for the coaches to reconsider him.

Regarding Owen, you may have a point, but he seems to be injured so easily, injured a lot more than when he played for MU.

• redondo77

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Thanks Markmac. I ask because he is still register as our player.

• Davies

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Ben Arfa’s situation was different; he was told to find a new club, and when he did, his club changed their mind. Maiga was just stamping his foot until he got a transfer.

• WWJBD

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Xisco came in and was slated regardless of performance on the pitch after that I can imagine its hard to be motivated to work hard and has apparently developed a attitude issue at NUFC but he didn’t force newcastle to give him high wages or go over KKs head to buy him. To say he is a parasite is to far imo

Owen has barely played for MUFC to pick up injuries…now I hate Owen but not because of his wages or his injuries but because of his attitude to the club after he left and that he lost the fight in his heart (much like everyone else at the club at the time)

• aussiemag

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Dont start this shit again please

• funkness

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Why would we want to buy a player, who obviously has no respect for the contract he has signed with his club? Imagine if we got him, he had a good season with us, and suddenly the Top 4 clubs started showing interest in him – would he then repeat his shamefull actions and go on strike here aswell? Some will mention Ben Arfa, but we went for him because he had his troubles at Marseille, he didn’t have them because we wanted him, and that makes a hell of a difference. Regarding Maiga, I would most certainly stay clear of him, as I think his lack of professionalism and integrity is hardly what we need at our club ..

• weg

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM

9 out of 10 players seem to think too much of themselves nowadays. Players with integrity seem to be a dying breed. They have no idea how priviledged they are and they have less and less in common with normal fans who work hard to make a small fraction what they make.
    To try and push for europe this season, we have to bring in not one but two decent strikers who dont just want the money and prestige. I think we’ll probably be making a move for Derdiyok if anyone! There will always be that cloud hanging over Maiga – the fans will expect him to want another move it he does well here!
    I just wish they’d spend the money for Papiss Demba Cisse!

• theleckworthbird

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Yes, I really thought we were going for Cisse – he did look good on viewed clips. Maiga? an unknown quantity for me.
    Maybe however, this reported petulance may stem from the way he has bee treated at his club. No one can know the answer to that apart from what is reported in the press – and we know how accurate that can be.

• jim

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM

has anyone got the link to this new sign on the east stand? the pictures of it?

• BigAl9

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I don`t think I want Maiga, I don`t like the way he`s gone about all this. Who`s to say he wouldn`t do it to us if say Arsenal bid for him a year down the line?. I`m no expert on the french and german league`s but I much prefer the look of Papis Demba Cisse, he`s clinical.