Ben Arfa Back For Carling Cup – Taylor For England

Alan Pardew has been singing the praises of his 25 year-old center-back Steven Taylor.

Steven Taylor – in action against Sunderland  with namesake Ryan

And Pardew has challenged the England manager to take a trip up to Newcastle himself,  to check first hand on the former England U21 captain.

Steven has played solidly alongside Argentine International and Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini so far this season, and the Newcastle defense have three clean sheets in their first four league games.

Pardew said:

“Steven Taylor is probably playing the best football of his career for me. I think he has a chance of being involved in England again.”

“I think the management should come and have a look at him, he’s doing that well. He is a good player, Steven.”

“I do see a tendency of players to be picked elsewhere than in the north-east.”  “Steven Taylor is definitely playing at a level where he should be considered, in my view.

“I don’t know how many times the England manager has seen us this year or seen us last year or has been to games in the north-east, but he would be welcome, most certainly.”

England don’t seem to have any hesitancy in picking Newcastle players these days, and after all Andy Carroll was given his England debut about a year ago, while still at Newcastle.

But Capelllo rarely visits the North East, that’s true,  and it’s obviously too far from London for his liking, so he sends his assistants to Newcastle to check on our players – now and again.

Hatem Ben Arfa

And some good news for Newcastle fans today,  in that it does seem as if Ben Arfa will get a game on Tuesday night at Nottingham Forest in the Carling Cup, after recovering from the ankle injury he picked up in Kansas City on the American tour in July.

Pardew said:

“He has trained very well. I don’t think he will be involved this weekend, but with the opportunity of the Carling Cup coming up this week, I think there’s a chance he could feature in that game.”

It will be great to see Ben Arfa back in action, and maybe he can play the withdrawn striker role with Leon Best up front as the sole striker, and get a goal or two for the side?

His presence will go a long way on Tuesday night, to adding some much needed creativity to the side.

• MacToon

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Well I used to be all for our players representing their countries and proud of it but not any more.

Keep your gob shut Pardew, what happens when Taylor’s injured playing for England or Jonas, Colo for Argentina etc. We can’t afford to give these players up for their country tbh.

I know why Pardew says these things but I’m sorry our team should be our only priority this season or up until January when the team/squad’s strengthened! (like I believe that).

• MacToon

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Good news about HBA but alot of people are already pinning their hopes on him and I really hope he gets a good run of games and plays to his potential week in week out.

• MacToon

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:28 AM

boo

• MadAboutToon

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:08 AM

i have been very impressed by taylor, he’s been our best player so far this season. i definitely think he should be on england squid. if lescock gets on it, then taylor should be in front of him anyway. maybe a new look CB pair cahil and taylor, might work well for england.

as for benny, that great news. i really hope he lives up to expectations and hopefully give us a good option going forward.

• Brutooon

Sep 16, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Forget about Saylor for England, let him focus on NUFC only. Later he got those unneccesary injuries playing for england

• GS

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:20 AM

I am going to have sossages for me tea, like. Not the deep fried ones from the chip shop though. But I might have chips annal, like.

• shearermania

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:38 AM

as someone who just had arthroschopy – key hole surgery a few days ago,(3rd time) its important to stress that its only a diagnostic procedure…which means its 4-5 weeks at best. if santon got a small meniscal tear hes out for a minimnum of 8 weeks……….if its his acl hes out a helluva lot longer

• ONLINE GUY

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Read 2 weeks before we signed Santon , the injury out in Italy was a meniscal tear …right in front of the knee cap,, not really so bad , but they brought him back after 3 weeks and messed it up ..to early ..Newcastle will give him time and it should heal up as strong as new.

• GS

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:33 AM

If he was injured, why did they play him in the reserves on Tuesday?

• Moe-NUFC

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:13 AM

@9
    Were u reading? Injury just occurred (reoccured) after today’s training

• dazza

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:18 AM

Santon will be class, even Beardo compared him to ‘a young maldini’. He must possess some serious quality for that sort fo praise. Let the injury clear up, bargain!

Look at the names QPR had on the field. It has way less to do with the quality of individual players as it does team spirit and professionalism.

• ginkoh

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:28 AM

@11 QPR got Barton-Taraabt-SWP in midfield. I don’t think they’re second to none in mid-table group team. Or maybe we are so bad.

• GS

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:56 AM

@10

I was reading the previous thread and posted here by mistake. That’s what drink will do for you sometimes.

• aussiemag

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:23 AM

He was injured when we purchased him It was easy to see this happening ay

• Daft_lad

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Will be great to see HBA back though it seems everyone is expecting a lot from him…..he’s been out for a long long time and the way we’ve played so far this season isn’t going to change just because hes back playing, it’ll take much more than that….I pray he can stay fit and get a run in the team

• Daft_lad

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:18 AM

Re: Taylor for England
    Every time one of our players has a good run of 3 or 4 games we get the inevitable (insert name) for England call. Also inevitable is the subsequent loss of form…. Eg., Simpson, Barton last season. Just let the lad play his game and if he gets a call up then great for him….still find the Simpson for England press rumour funny

• Dannyo

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:11 AM

@online guy
    I
    Read that too when surfing around gathering info on him. Out for a month is not so bad, but its really bad enough that he’s out at all…
    Would like to see Kadar in action. It’s make or break for him anyways…

• cyprus

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Give HBA no more than ten minutes. Please, take it easy with him AP, we really need him in the PL, forget about Carling Cup. Boro won it and where are they now? Priorities…

• geoff777

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:57 AM

@cyprus

lol He’s a big tough lad … give him 45-60 minutes.

Kadar was rumoured to be really overweight after the summer break.
    Either Kadar or Ferguson could do a job at LB.
    How close to match-fit they are I don’t know.

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:58 AM

I’m happy where we are so far, 4th place, concede only 1 goal. Superb!
    Can’t tell the future how it’s going to be, but i’m pretty sure we are going to do just fine as long as Shola is not starting in any game, as sub ok!

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:04 AM

When I watched the QPR game, it feels like our team didn’t want to win that game because they still have good relation with Barton or feel sorry for Barton. It’s like even if they scored they do not want to celebrate in front of Barton.
    This is only how felt in that game.

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:05 AM

Because I didn’t see any combative tackles being done against Barton, vice versa.

• WWJBD

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:08 AM

Saylor in the England squad? Haha aye right am sure. I can think of 8 english CBs who are better than him just off the top of my head…keep dreaming son

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Taylor for England,that would be great he’d be worth at least 10th million,we could sell him with two years left on his contract before he gets to old,and we’d be on a much better financial footing to take this great club forward.

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Cant see why stevie T shouldnt get a chance for england. Been in decent form, needs to keep it up, he was the under-21s captain aswell so should give him a chance. On the flip side i agree with mactoon @1 and if we had an injury to taylor or colo we will be in the sh*t.

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM

@WWJBD
    only if those 8 are injured heheheh

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:18 AM

@2Ameobi
    If we lose our CB, I’m pretty sure that we will play negative football like Sweden vs Brazil 1998 world cup, if I’m not mistaken.
    11 men behind halfway line.

• Dannyo

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Tavernier set to extend his loan for another two months. Am guessing he has recall clause in that…

• sirtoongospel

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Didn’t cheik get booked for a tackle on him? Of course we tried to score. Leon best was really unlucky. Great save from Kenny. Plus there were loads of tackles on Barton. Even Sammy mixed it with him. Looking forward to tomorrow. Should be good atmosphere yet again from our fans. A 5 man midfield should help us and hopefully we will bring something away. HWTL

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM

I think Raylor is going to score again from free kick against Villa

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:28 AM

@sirtoongospel
    I just compared the tackles and desire to win in that game with the previous games. Seems different imo.

• TOONROSE

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Hey guys, I work in recruitment in the engineering sector and I’ve just recieved a CV from an Argentinian called Fabricio Coloccini for a job in Aberdeen! Perhaps he won’t be off to Valencia or Seville after all?!! 😉

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Good to hear gbs and mactoon back on form and with more valid points than those that think jabba is good for our club!
    Yet they all still think the sun shines out of greedy buddhas fat ar5e!
    At the end of the day boys, I honestly think the fat f11ck is lining us up fir a sale, and my hatred is turning to hope!

A bit of a thought for the lovers on here….. AP said they buy players with injuries because they come with a price and wage commensurate with there injury!!!!

This is NOT the way to do transfer business! Now proven!!!!!

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I can see perchy at cb if/when taylor or colo miss a game with injury or suspension. Scary !

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:40 AM

Heard last week that they bought Santon as cover across the back line!! Pffffft thats another plan doon the pan in the threadbare defence………

Oh if only fat Mike had backed his Manager in the transfer window with good hard cash to bring in the couple of defenders and strikers we needed so desperately to enable us to submit a 25 man squad to the FA….then we wouldnt be so worried about the defence being threadbare, and if your not worried………well then your knowledge of football is very limited im afraid!

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:45 AM

@angry
    It’s already mid-september, it’s done, can only hope for the best until January window open. Hopefully we will signed more players.

• redondo77

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:48 AM

I just hope we won’t buy Modibo Maiga

• Indian Magpie

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM

May be during the season we would have a line up like this

Krul
    Tavernier Saylor Colocini Ferguson
    Tiote Cabaye
    Sammyobi HBA Vuckic
    Striker (?)

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:52 AM

After this last window how can you think we will invest in january after what dekka said last january. Personaly a wish there wasnt a transfer break mid season with ashley in charge.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:54 AM

redondo
    Yup agreed its done, but being ‘done’ dont make me any more comfortable im afraid when my anxiety could have been avoided with by someone with a little ambition running our great club!

You wil notice, my slagging of jabba has wained somewhat, and as posted eralier, its because i know we are stuck with the absolutely useless incompetent w@nk@ and shall be for at least the next 2 years i reckon. I am living with the hope that the incompetent is setting us up for the big sale!! This would make me the happiest man on the planet as currently the only blackspot in my life is the Fat F11ck who seems to be taking pleasure in running my football club into the ground and sticking 2 rather chubby fingers up at me and the rest of the die hards, with great glee………….