Leon Best Hopes To Score 20 Goals For Magpies This Season

It turns out that Leon Best, who is one of  Newcastle’s biggest hopes to hit the goals trail before January, is big on statistics.

Leon Best – can he get 20 goals for Newcastle this season?

And Leon so far has a great record in the Premier League of  eight goals in just 16 Premier League appearances since the start of this year, although he had 13 appearances in the Championship with Newcastle the season before,  without hitting any goals.

But at the beginning of this year it looked like Leon’s career was over on Tyneside, but he was then given a chance by new manager Alan Pardew, and he delivered with those 6 goals in just 12 appearances.

And this season he has hit two goals in four appearances so far, and it seems that one thing that held Best back when he first arrived on Tyneside, was a persistent ankle injury.

But it seems he has finally recovered from that and had a decent pre-season, and we have to hope Leon can keep scoring those goals.

Leon has talked about his love of stats:

“Stats are something I look at and study,”  “When you see the best players in the world… the Brazilian Ronaldo is a hero of mine, I look at his stats and every team he’s been with, his goals-per-game ratio is unbelievable.”

“I know all my stats here, because the technical team is top notch. They give you a sheet after every game to let you know exactly what you’re doing, how many shots you’ve had, how far you’ve run, things like that.”

“I always keep track of my goals per-game-ratio, that’s the main stat and it’s always been the case my whole career, even right back to when I was a young kid.”

“Can I make it to 20 goals? That’s the big question. I hope I can. With no new strikers brought in, now I’ve been scoring, people might be looking at me thinking I should be doing just that.”

“It’s down to me and the other strikers now. There’s no 15 or 20 goal striker come in on deadline day, so it’s up to us.”  “I believe this league is better for me. “

“I love every minute of playing in it and I truly believe I’m a Premier League player, even though I’m still trying to prove myself.”

24 year-old  Best has scored 50 goals in 202 career appearances – so that’s around 0.248 goals per appearance.

This year he has a goals/appearance record of 0.50 since he’s hit 8 goals in just 16 appearances and in his Newcastle career overall, he’s hit 8 goals in 29 appearances for a ratio of 0.276, which is slightly better than his career average.

It seems to us he needs a couple of goals in tomorrow’s game and we’ll recalculate those stats for Leon – no problem.

The Ireland International striker is hoping he can score 20 goals this season for Newcastle, and if he does that, he’ll be worth a lot more than the £1M Newcastle paid Coventry for him in January of last year.

His Newcatsle manager Alan Pardew is more down to earth and knows that Leon is still learning the game, and can certainly improve:

“Leon’s goals-per-game ratio is impressive,” “He’s still learning and he still has a lot of improving to do before he becomes a recognised first teamer here.”

“At the moment though, he’s got the shirt and it’s down to him to keep it.”

Leon has another great chance right now to cement his place in the Newcastle starting line-up, and he’ll likely start for Newcastle at Villa Park tomorrow, and as we said earlier,  a couple of goals would be very nice.

Very nice indeed.

• i Toon

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM

i really think he could score 20 only 18 more to go

• Hoppefot79

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Ba & Best 2morrow

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Ho’way Besty! Net a couple more tomorrow!!

• IrishToon009

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:11 AM

If he scores 9 more before January does that mean we can sell him for 35million too??

• liam85

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM

maybe wishful thinking.. but…. wouldn’t it be great if he worked really hard to prove himself and scores loads of goals this season 😀

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM

• GeordieToon89

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM

lmao in my 3rd season with Gateshead on FM11 and Newcastle have been taking over buy some geezer called Muhammed Bin Zahine and Mike Ashley has just bourght York City haha. thought ad share that with you lot

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Word has it, opposing Goalkeeper’s scrotums shrink, on sight of Best bearing down on them.

• SaulToon

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:16 AM

@IrishToon009 saddly he’s Irish so 15 mill tops

• BUDGIE

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Incognito in the Villa end tomorrow , can’t wait. Come on Besty.

• soundoid

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM

We need someone to whip in a couple of half desent crosses to Besty, that might help.

I do think this lad has lots of potential, like Carrol in some ways but i think off the ball carrol had more presence.

• mattnufc

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I’m really doubtful for tomorrow, hopefully the team and besty can prove me wrong.

• Jan Stavik

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:12 AM

Best is our best striker. Play him tomorrow with Demba Ba, those two can cause problems for AV

• GoalsBringSmiles

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I truly hope Best surprises me and scores 20 this season, that would be fantastic for the team but based on his ratio this season of 0.5 that would rewuire him to play in 40 games-is this likely? I hope so. However, the more telling stat, the ratio of 0.248 in his whole career, means that to reach 20 goals this season he will need to play in 80 games. Well, he brought up stats. . Nevermind 80% of stats are bu11sh1t, apparently,

• FloridaToon

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:23 AM

This worked for the Fulham game….so I say 2-1 us.

__________________Krul________________

Simmo_____Saylor__________Colo_____Ferguson

____________Cabaye_______Tiote

Jonas_____________Gosling___________Marveaux

___________________Best_________________

• Brutooon

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM

he will score 12-15 goals (pessimistically)

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:52 AM

If scores 20, he’ll be off to a top 6 club for about 15 million pounds at the end of the season.

• Minato

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:17 AM

-Pards

HAHA for real?

Best is clearly our first choice striker and I think given the service and injury free he should comfortably hit between 15-20 goals..his third today against Villa.

• ToonMauritius

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:28 AM

Hi lads, wonderful, Todays match against villa is being broadcast live on local TV here in Mauritius, no needs for stream. I fear that if we play defensive football we may be torn out by Agbonlahor and Charlie, we have to keep playing offensively, pressurising them because there defenders are not that good.I expect a good show by the team because my three bros are Liverfool fans.

• Moe-NUFC

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:02 AM

I had belief in Best, thought he has potential
    Only if he can look down and focus on improving ..
    his work rate at his premier league debut against West Ham was amazing even before scoring that hatrick, I wish he could do that week in week out then we might even forget about bringing another striker .. just might 🙂

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:29 AM

I think we’ve all had a go at Shola, but never mind, he makes 30 a week so why not? Anyway, Best says after every game each player gets a stats sheet… Can you imagine the one Shola gets? Shots on goal: 0. Shots: 0. etc:0…

• WWJBD

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:58 AM

20 goal a season Best? Hmmm I somehow doubt it but good on him for having a target

• kimbo

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:03 AM

We will be lucky to score a goal at Villa,best we can hope for is 0-0. Will Obertan actually do any defensive work today or will just stand and let them run past , or is it just a case if he does a dazzling run across the pitch it takes him 20minutes to recover,we want Sammi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nimo

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:03 AM

Fergie for left back today.. Raylor wkll get embarressed by gabby abby… however god loves a tryer

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Kimbo, Obertan has been ok defensively. I am concerned about his ‘blazing’ pace, which I have not seen and his dribbling ability (which I’ve not seen). Marveaux seemed more sharp, but both deserve a chance. I think Gosling, who scored two with the reserves, should play, with Best up front. If we are losing at 60′, then throw on Ba as well. If Shola must play (?), give him last 3 minutes.

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:15 AM

Agree with Nimo. Fergie did fine at LB last year. Then again, although Raylor was exposed at QPR, he still hasn’t let in a goal (luck part of it), so…

• doddsy

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM

hi lads i thing the team for tonday will be looking somethink like this i think there will be a surprisee either on bench or starting..

team..

Krul

simmo
    collo
    taylor
    fergurson

toite
    cabeye

guti
    gosling
    marv

best or demba

i think ben arfa will be on bench
    ano he not due to play to wednesday but i have gota fealingg

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM

@27, that’s how I would play it too.

• alip123

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Hi guys – can I ask, what is the new p2p site to watch footy? Any streams to watch the Newcastle match?

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM

They haven’t won on this day since 1960!

1960 DIV1 MANCHESTER UNITED H W 3-1 Results Table
    1966 DIV1 CHELSEA H L 2-6 Results Table
    1969 DIV2 Bolton Wanderers A L 1-2 Results Table
    1975 UEFA Royal Antwerp A L 1-4 Results
    1977 DIV1 Nottingham Forest A L 0-2 Results Table
    1983 DIV1 Liverpool A L 1-2 Results Table
    1988 DIV1 West Ham United A D 2-2 Results Table
    1994 PREM West Ham United A L 0-1 Results Table
    2005 PREM TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR H D 1-1 Milner 4 33,686 Report Results

• JAMSHA

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Dam the match is live on t.v 2day bt cnt watch it :-(. Wat fkn excuse should I giv at da work to watch dis game. Help me plz. M a dj n v hav a house party 2day eveng 🙁

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Comment from Aston Villa blog. Sounds like a cc from some of the entries here!
    “But, with a dispassionate eye, its a distinctly average team that. The midfield is simply too lightweight. There’s not enough creativity coming from the full backs. And there’s not enough goals in there with an off-form/unhappy Bent up top. I think the reality is dawning for me at last.”

• Graeme

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Well, we can but hope!!

If he hits 20 no doubt FCB will cash him in next summer to pay for Carrolls replacement.

• BigKirky

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I’ve done a quick Cabaye vid from some of the early games so far fellas.

I’ll do more hopefully, depending on how much time I have and the availability of decent footage.

• Hugh Jorgan

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Jamsha@31
    I would tell your employers that you need the day off to practice your spelling and grammar.
    More importantly to stop this habit of writing in phonetic text talk … It’s so damned annoying !

• s_mav

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Obertan and Tiote should make way for Marveaux and Gosling, neither have been very good this season and I really don’t see what Obertan offers to the side, cos so far I don’t think he has shown his “blistering pace.” Both he and Tiote were awful against QPR and as much as I like Tiote he needs to be shown that if he plays badly he’ll be dropped.

• TOONALE

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I have us down to win 3 = 2 today ever the optimist.

• s_mav

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Oh and Shola should be dropped for Ba or Sammi or anyone really!!

• Daft_lad

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM

He is our best option but Leon Best is no more than a 15 goal striker on current showing….he may improve with confidence from playing games but time will tell. Now until January is make or break for Best imo….

As for some on here suggesting we play Ferguson at full back….no way would I do that…. the lad is a left sided midfielder with big potential, I said it on here last night; are we going to ruin yet another star in the making by playing them out of position? Steve Watson, Jon Dahl Tomasson, Hugo Viana, Charles Nzogbia etc….

As for today’s game….the result will depend upon how we line up I think, can Pards find the magic formula????
    If we go 442 then I think we’ll lose 2-0 or 2-1 (I’m just being honest)
    If we shape up with 5 in the middle, play a short passing game and support the striker properly from midfield then I can see 0-0, 1-1 or even a 1-0 win for the lads….we’re not playing well and we need to keep it tight today. My team would be….
    ———————-KRUL
    SIMPSON – SAYLOR – COLO – RAYLOR
    ———————TIOTE
    JONAS – GOSLING – CABAYE – MARVEAUX
    ———————-BEST

• GoalsBringSmiles

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM

I will repeat for those of you who are choosing to ignore the stats-to score 20 this season, based on his ratio this season of 0.5 that would require Best to play in 40 games-is this likely? However, the more telling stat, the ratio of 0.248 in his whole career, means that to reach 20 goals this season he will need to play in 80 games. Well, he brought up stats. Nevermind 80% of stats are bu11sh1t, apparently