Great To See Cheick Tiote Back In Top Form

There was a lot of good stuff to take out of the game on Saturday.

Cheick Tiote – excellent game on Saturday

One of them was that the central midfield pairing of Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote is starting to come together and both players had very good games with Yohan putting in  a great second half, as he was given license by Alan Pardew to push  forward more and he almost scored three times.

Oncwe he hit the cross-bar with a great shot and then he hit a remarkable right foot shot that looked like a winner all the way but then man Shay Given made a wonder save – unfortunately, and blocked Newcastle from getting the win.

And Cheick’s role is of course important and he did well in that second half to plug any gaps created by the advancing Cabaye, and  Newcastle looked a lot more likely to score and with just a little bit of luck could have won the game.

But we’re not complaining because Newcastle have had enough of good luck so far this season, and things will even themselves out over the  season.

Cheick had not played near his great form of last season, but he was buzzing from the opening whistle on Saturday, and looked like his old self, and that will do a lot for the Ivory  International’s confidence.

The Cabaye – Tiote partnership could be huge for Newcastle this season, and another thing was that Tiote didn’t get his customary yellow card at Villa Park, so that’s good too.

Although goal-scorer Leon best got a yellow card for too much celebrating after he scored, which we think is simply ridiculous – these referees need to lighten up a bit – and if only the understood (and has played) the game more.

As legendary Liverpool manager once said about referees:

“The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.”

Of course Bill was dead right as he usually was when managing Liverpool.

And speaking of Liverpool we saw they got two men sent off and were hammered by an impressive looking Spurs side yesterday.

And to think Andy Carroll and Jose Enrique could have been at a club that is currently 4th top of the Premier League. Well, we all make mistakes!

😀

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

probs not first LOL

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM

hahah its really stupid purely posted as the 1sters may go cry now 😛 but Yes totally agree we say Cheeky Chieky gettin back to what he does best on saturday and i have noticed in the last few games hes a very decent crosser of the ball

• bosamuelson

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

tbh I thought tiote’s game was quite poor by his standards. Well in terms of passing. I saw him give the ball away many times and got caught in possession a lot.

His break up play, interceptions and tackling were all top notch though.

Cut out the silly passes, lack of concentration and he will be back up there to his former self!

• hugenufcfan

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I just hope HBA gets back to full fitness. Really was excited the way he played @ everton last year.
    If he can regain his fitness along with marveaux i believe we have one of the best midfields in the PL.

• Dannyo

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM

@bosam
    Ye, he did a fewmof those mistakes, towards the end of the match it looked like our Tiote was on his way back. Exciting times…

• bosamuelson

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Dannyo, I remember one in particular he was almost the last man and AV just piled forward. I think to his credit he was back in the box before Taylor put a block in and Toite cleaned up.

But yes exciting times he is getting there!!!

• Davies

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:57 PM

His passing was awful on Saturday. He’s a massive talent, but he’s still way off his form from last season. Cabeye’s awesome, mind.

• Toon666

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Yeah I posted in the last “Tiote had a GREAT game” article – I don’t understand it, I really don’t….

What game were you watching?? He had a poor game again….

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:29 PM

passing 84% 117 touches of the ball i think the stats will show he had more of the ball than anyone else on the park and made a high number of passes so you may think goodness he misplaced 8 passes but the other 42 passes were dead on Cabaye made 91% of his passes for those interested and Marvellous Marveaux made 100% in his 11 mins

• gstadt

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Toon666 – agree completely, he gave me a heart attack every time he made a square pass that was picked up the Villians 🙁

• Toon666

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:10 PM

@9 – In my view the “opta stats” argument is totally invalid as to whether someone had a good performance or not.

Don’t be fooled by stats – when taken out of context they mean absolutely nothing……

• cupiddstunt

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Toon666 @ # 11

And your emotionally subjective view of the game and his performance is more valid than the purely objective stats from opta?

When looking at the opta stats the best players in the world curiously enough consistently have the best stats and the worst players funnily enough have the worst. How much out of context is that?

So tell me who is the most likely to take things out of context the emotionally involved fan or the computer?

I think the general consensus was Tiote had quite a good game so in answer to your question at # 8 it appears as if you and gstadt were watching a different game to the rest of the world.

• Toon666

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM

If you don’t already understand how stats are useless when taken out of context, then I doubt I will be able to explain it to you in a way you will understand, let alone agree with.

I’m not ruling out the opta stats completely; and I agree that yes – the world’s top players do often have the best stats in the areas that matter. I’m not saying that is untrue.

All I’m trying to say is that stats alone don’t make a good performance. You can’t enter the stats into a spread sheet and necessarily pick your man of the match from that.

And I also conceed that there are people who think he has played well this season – I am not one of them.

In fact the ONLY reason I posted questioning his form was because so many people were singing his praises.

I’m no Bobby Robson so perhaps there is a lot that I don’t see – but I stand firm by my opinion that Tiote has looked poor so far this season.

I think the stats making a good performance Vs Tiote on form or not are 2 seperate points.

For me Tiote has been in the bottom 3 performers so far this season.