Two More Wins This Week Is All That Matters Now

Leon Best is looking the part again for the Toon, as he got his third goal of the season in only five appearances so far for the Magpies.

Leon Best – after scoring Saturday – he was booked for this??

Leon has a great record in the Premier League of 9 goals in just 17 appearances this year, and he had this to say about drawing a club in the Carling Cup  from his home town – Nottingham:

“I was so excited when we drew Forest.” “I will be back in my hometown and my mum can come to the game and a few friends.”

“I will be playing against Wes Morgan who has a baby with one of my sisters and there will be a bit of banter before the game.”

“I am a Notts County boy – I have always had an affinity with some Magpies! I used to watch Forest as well, I was a big admirer of Stan Collymore, but I was mainly a County fan.”

“I was at Notts County as a kid and the reds are my enemy.”

Well, we hate to say this, but it could be that Alan Pardew rests Best for tomrorow’s game, although Leon could come on in the second half, at an opportune time.

It seems that Alan will play one striker up front, with Ben Arfa coming in to play just behind that striker, and that could be Demba Ba, to give the Senegal striker some playing time, as he needs to get a bit sharper and start scoring those goals.

Tomorrow night’s game will not be easy for the Magpies, even though it may look a fairly easy game on paper, it will not be, and Newcastle cannot have any let downs.

The lads have made a great start to the season as Leon Best rightly attests to:

“I don’t think people thought we could make an unbeaten start to the season.”

“We are now just looking to keep that up and stay unbeaten for as long as we can after another good result at Villa.”

But there’s no getting carried away with Newcastle’s start this season, and the only thing that matters for the club now, is to get through to the 4th round of the Carling Cup, and then  get all 3 points against Blackburn Rovers at St. James’ Park on Saturday.

If Newcastle can do that,  then Tyneside will be really buzzing on Saturday evening, and who knows, Alan Pardew may have another night out in the City center.

If Newcastle win their next two games Pardew will be the Toast of the Toon – and rightly so.

• toonfan76

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I’m really hoping we make a push for at least one of the cups this season, Carling or FA cup would be amazing and would write Pardew and the Team into Geordie folklore.Think the Carling cup might be the more realistic cup to go for. Would be pretty astonishing when you think that KK and SBR were unable to bring us any silverware. Here’s to hoping!

• sirtoongospel

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Pardew should be the toast of the toon anyway! he has done a grand job.

• tobes

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Forest will look to bounce back this week. Hope Gosling puts in a blinder and Pardew gives him some game time in the prem.

2-0 Toon. Arfa and Sammy.

• Minato

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I expect we will have more fringe players on that have the potential to break into the first team proper, Marveux, Gosling, Sameobi etc…I’d like to see Best start too..i think it will be 3-1 and a reasonably comfortable game..

• toonfan76

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM

@tobes
    Heard on another thread that Gosling has a slight groin strain so will not be playing tomorrow, not sure if that’s 100% but it was definitely mentioned.

• tobes

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:30 PM

toonfan76

That sucks. Not happy. Really wanted to see him get run.

• toonfan76

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Have to say that I am really pleased with our options in Midfield now. I think we are a lot stronger in that department now. Just wish we had a bit more cover in defence. Also really looking forward to seeing Santon play when he is ready. The return of HBA is gonna be huge.

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM

yup Carling cup would put Pardew up there in Stature in wor clubs history taking Glenn roeders place as the last man to deliver a top flight trophy (intertoto cup if ya wanna count it) 😛

• Ameobi No.9

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Hoping for a win against Forest, got to watch out for the underdog in these types of competitions.

Vuckic will be in the team wont he? wouldn’t mind him getting a start, also Marveaux to start and score a cracker.

Wouldn’t risk too many first team players, would not like to see them get injured before the Blackburn match (which will be hard but is definitely winnable)

Would go for this kind of line up..

Krul
    Simpson, Williamson, Taylor,/Santon
    Taylor, Vuckic, Guthrie, Marveaux
    Ba, Lovenkrands

Subs being –
    Marveaux for Sammi Ameobi, 30 mins left
    Vuckic for Cabaye 20 mins left
    Ba or Lovenkrands for Best 15 mins left.

Not a overly strong team but I feel that we can still beat them with it. also I dont want Pardew saying ” We was fatigued, we had 2 very difficult games in a short period of time and we couldn’t cope” or something like that.

2-0 Toon v Forest and 1-0 Toon v Blackburn, Haway The Lads

• colwell

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Reading through other posts can anyone explain to me how Ben Arfa is injury prone? do they actually know the meaning of this?. He has had 2 dirty tackles that anyone else who was on the end of would of suffered the same.

A midfield of HBA, Cabaye,Tiote,Oba and Marv is just awesome. I would play Jonas LB until Santon is back he did well against Villa as Raylor was caught forward alot Jonas was always back there.

• colwell

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM

@Ameobi n09

HBA is playing in this game, Vuckic is injured as is Santon.

• BiffBaffBoff

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM

colwell

I agree with you re. HBA. Hes just terribly unlucky to be on the receiving end of 2 dirty tackles :/

• drongo

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:58 PM

@ ameobi – Williamson and Santon are injured mate

I for sure want to give cabbie a rest after his efforts on Saturday. My preference would be to start Guthrie and Gosling in the CM roles, Marveaux and Sameobi on the wings. HBA behind Best.

I would prefer to start HBA and have the option to bring him off, rather than send him on cold into a game.

Defence we dont have too many options! Going to have to be the same 4….

• Ollieh51

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Is this one of the few games that we give Smith a run out as we want Chieck and Yohan to have a rest, and Gosling is out injured or do we need bigger players than that?

• colwell

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

@biffbaffboff

Someone even compared him to Woodgate WTF? He just needs some steroids like Messi had he gets lumps kicked out of him every game but never gets injured.

• tweaked

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

reckon with ben arfa just behind best and cabaye’s long range efforts the goals will come

• colwell

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Luckily for us Smith is out with a hamstring injury.

• drongo

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM

reason I leave besty in is I think he is a confidence player

• Ameobi No.9

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM

@Colwell, Vuckic broke his hand/finger, I think he could probably kick a ball for 60-70 mins, plus I heard he could be in for an appearance against Forest.

Forgot about Santons’ knee, if all goes well he will be able to play again sometime in the next fortnight but if not, he will need surgery to get rid of the remaining scar tissue

• colwell

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Our other new gem has to be marveaux. He is class pace,skill great vision and passing ability looks like a great signing.

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Team of the week. No Cabaye :/

T!ts bumblebee is on it though….

• colwell

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

@Ameobi no9

You`d think that I know but if he falls he could do alot more damage. It is on teamtalk that him,Abeid,Smith,williamson remain on the casualty list.

• Ollieh51

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM

What are we thinking the team is going to look like?

There are very few options at the back for us and we CAN NOT risk injury to our 1st choice back four for Blackburn.

• Ameobi No.9

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:08 PM

@ drongo
    Would leave Sameobi on the bench til about the 70min mark, he cannot handle 60+ mins yet. plus imagine him against their fullbacks when they are getting a bit leggy? he would torture them.

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I actually feel that Pardew is going to start Perch at Center Back…

• Ameobi No.9

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:14 PM

@ Colwell, I did not mean to get a reaction from you, its just silly that someone cannot kick a ball if he has a bad hand? but I suppose it would make sense to leave him out in case, like you said, he falls on it and makes it worse.

Thank god Smith is out, but cant remember him doing anything at all to get injured, oh well, must be old age or something haha.

Any one notice the Sly (Sky) commentator could not even say, ‘Great day for Newcastle fans as their team remains 4th in the table’ but if we were 17/18 they would be all over it saying ‘Newcastle’s poor start to the season just got worse blah blah blah’ They cannot stand it when we are doing well..

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM

What i hope the team will be in respect to resting key players for Blackburn and giving fringe players a chance to show what they have to offer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Harper/Elliot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:17 PM

fringe and youth players*

• Ameobi No.9

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:19 PM

@ San Toon

Think Tarvinier is still on loan? Not hugely confident in Dummet but would like to see him in action.

Other than that, I agree fully with your team, if they are all fit to start

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM

He was loaned out on 11th august for 1 month, so i assume he is back now…

He isn’t listed as “on loan” on http://www.nufc.com

So i assume he should be available for us :/

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Comments awaiting moderation…. due to links…

I assumed he was available since his initial loan on 11th of August was only for 1 month..

He is listed as available…. but on the home page further down his loan has apparantly been extended…

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM

So i guess either Simmo or god Forbid Perch at Right back in that line up :/

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Tavernier is still at carlisle aint he? and id guess itd be
    ——————Elliot,
    ——Raylor,Perch,Dummett,Fergie
    Lovenkrands, Gosling Guthrie Marveaux
    ————-BenArfa
    ————————Shola
    but i really hope we go with a stronger side as this is a cup we actually cud win

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:29 PM

AVB should have signed this lad, he knows how to score in an open goal with his back towards the net!

Miles better then Torres

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Ive become so used to Arfa not being out injured i didnt include him on the bench…. oh my…

• Ollieh51

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM

@ San-Toon

Not sure how up to date that it, Zamblera was released last weeek.

I still have a slight concern that we don’t have enough depth to focus on these cups.

I’d much rather a solid, consistent league performance hence why I would rest a few players…

• AshtreeKid

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM

santoon you cant play raylor at centre back unless you want to loose you nutter!

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

• ~~San-Toon~~

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Would u Rather Perch/Simmo at Center back then?

I doubt Pardew is going to start Staylor and Colo together and make them play 3 games in 7 days.

Willo is out injured, Kadar has just gone off the radar…

Who else will play at Center back?

• AshtreeKid

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM

would prefer perch to a right sided midfielder yep