Many Changes Tonight – Here’s Our Team

Pardew will likely start Ben Arfa tonight at the City Ground and Rob Elliot will also make his debut in goal.

Shane Ferguson – should start tonight

It may be the strength of the Newcastle squad these days, that other very decent players want to see some action tonight too, like Peter Lovenkrands, Danny Guthrie, Alan Smith, Shane Ferguson, Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux and others.

This is what Alan Pardew  said today about the team tonight:

“We’ve got a lot of players who haven’t featured and are desperate to show their wares, so to speak,”

“I look forward to seeing one or two of them on the pitch. I said before that Ben Arfa will play, and if he comes through training this morning then he will definitely feature.”

“I don’t want to say too many more, but we will still have a very strong side.”

And it’s a bit of a surprise that Rob Elliot will start in goal,  but it seems that Pardew has talked with Steve Harper, and he wants to give the 25 year-old goalkeeper his debut tonight.

This is what Alan said about the goalkeeper situation for tonight’s game:

“Rob Elliot will play. I’ve spoken to Harps because he wanted to play,”  “I said to him on this occasion the guy’s come in and it’s important to get a game under your belt.”

“When you come in behind two great keepers like we’ve got he’s got a danger of sitting on the sidelines and people then start asking him when he’s going to get his debut and I don’t like that.”

“I want him to get a game under his belt and wear the Newcastle jersey. He’s a good goalkeeper and he’ll play. He deserves recognition in his own right.”

It seems to us that Steve Harper is quickly becoming the number 3 goalkeeper at Newcastle,  after being the number one since Shay Given left for Manchester City back in January of 2009.

Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux and Shane Ferguson are almost bound to get a game tonight so here goes – this could be the team for tonight:

Elliot
Simpson Taylor(S) (c) Perch Ferguson
Gosling Cabaye Tiote Marveaux
Ben Arfa
Demba Ba

That’s not a bad team at all, and since Alan Pardew has been talking about how good James Perch is in central defense, this may be a good time to give him a run-out in that position, and rest captain Coloccini for Saturday’s home game against Blackburn Rovers.

But Alan may also want to give one of the central midfield positions to Danny Guthrie, and he could replace Yohan Cabaye in that line-up.

There are six changes in that side from the side that started at Aston Villa on Saturday, and still no place for either Sammy Ameobi, Alan Smith, Peter Lovenkrands or Mehdi Abeid, but they could get run-outs from the substitute’s bench in the second half.

What’s your team for tonight?

• Dannyo

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Just read the articles with Abeid and Elliott. It’s great that Elliott is getting such good reviews from Woodman, Woodman is working with Krul and Harper after all, so he should know a good keeper when he sees one.
    Also, having Abeid starting i didn’t even think of tbh, but now he is it seems, and thats great news. Another lad who excites me.
    I am REALLY looking forward to the talent we’ll be showcasing tonight, cause we have allot of it imo. Atleast in the middle.
    Hooper on the bench too?

This a repost btw…

• davis_toons

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Thats a good lineup to see Ferguson at lb.

• AMEOBI

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I’m excited can’t wait 🙂

• Jan Stavik

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Is the game not shown on TV tonight? What a pity, this can be an interesting encounter!

• nick_9

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Squad: Davide Santon (knee), Mehdi Abeid (knee), Alan Smith (hamstring), Mike Williamson (ankle) and Haris Vuckic (hand) are all unavailable through injury, Dan Gosling is doubtful with a groin strain, while Michael Richardson is cup-tied following his goalscoring appearance for Leyton Orient against Southend United

That is taken from NUFC.com, they think abeid is still out and gosling is doubtful. I would ply:

Elliot
    Simpson Perch Saylor/Kadar Ferguson
    Raylor Guthrie Tiote/Gosling Marveaux
    Sameobi Ba

then bring on arfa and obertan late on in the second.

• WWJBD

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Don’t think tonight will be a push over. We played mostly our starting 11 against scunny and they put us to the sword

Now we are playing mostly reserves against Forest…am not complaining but Forest are better than scunny still going 3-1 to the Toon though

• Eastander

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I have to say in premier league games coming up, with Marveaux, Obertan and Ben Arfa running forward and Cabaye playing the passes I’d absolutely pap myself if I was a defender!

• Persian Geordie

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM

i wouldnt play Tiote or Cabaye today, maybe on the bench but not start. i’d use Smith & Guthrie, they did it for us 2 seasons ago and should do it now.

the rest look ok. on paper even this team should beat Forest! HWTL

• AMEOBI

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM

We should win about 4-0 but these “under estimated” teams can provide a shock 😉 hopefully leeds do it tonight!

• nick_9

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM

smith is meant to be injured persian, not sure who else could play cm/dm, any ideas?

• Indian Magpie

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM

we have to play Tiote

He is a bit short on YELLOW CARDS

• WWJBD

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Raylor could play in the Tiote/Smith role did well there last season until he got red carded

• Symo22

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Elliot
    Perch Saylor Colo Fergie
    Raylor Gosling Guthrie Marv
    Benny
    Ba

Krul, Kadar,Simo,Sammy,Albied,Cabs,Loven

• gorgonzola

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Smith? are you drunk?

• drongo

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Yep – Id prob go along with Ed’s team I reckon

Defo start HBA and bring him off when we’re ready. Much much better than coming into a match cold.

• AMEOBI

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:10 AM

LOL @ post 11 😀

• toonfan76

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I think some of these fringe players are gonna be hungry to show what they can do, Think this will be a really good game. Lets hope they all get through it unscathed, HBA especially.

• nden85

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:13 AM

cant see ben arfa starting.

elliot
    raylor – perch – saylor – fergie
    samiobi – golsing – guthrie (fit?) – marv
    ba – loverpants

• Indian Magpie

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:14 AM

@17 Toonfan

HBA Fringe player really 😉

• Indian Magpie

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM

GUTHRIE has been on the bench for last 2 games nt gosling

• JimmyToonToon

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I can’t wait to see this game tonight, just rang Forrest box office and you can buy tickets on the night. Apparently we’ve got loads left.
    Will be made up to see HBA and Ferguson play.

HWTL

• WWJBD

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Gosling is injured to my knowledge groin strain

• belter99

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Just to let people know that this may be a link for the match tonight, you never know with these sites like.

• cla5hb0y68

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Watched Marveaux at Scunthorpe, a tidy player, small but deceptively strong and he completed virtually all of his passes. I noticed more than the odd glimpse of Beardsley in him.

• belter99

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:21 AM

not sure about the other areas of the pitch but up front I would play Sameobi and Ba up front and Barfa behind them both. Either way I’m pretty confident about tonight then again I was confident about the Scunny game too, these games are never easy I suppose.

• gorgonzola

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Of coarse not remember Leeds Man utd…

• hoppernufc

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:30 AM

elliot
    simpson s.taylor perch r.taylor

obertan guthrie gosling ferguson
    HBA
    best

• toonfan76

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Sorry Indian Magpie, a little bit misleading on my part, I wasn’t refering to HBA as a fringe player, I just meant that the fringe players would be hungry to do well. The point I was making about HBA was that I didn’t want him to suffer any injury, I don’t want any of the players to be injured but I’m more concerned about him. Just hope the ref does his best to stop any bad tackles early in the game.

• Symo22

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:37 AM

No coverage of tonights game anywhere im afraid!

• Indian Magpie

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:38 AM

@toon FAN @ 26

I knew what u meant

I was just trying to get one over a fellow toon FAN

• toonfan76

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:40 AM

@Symo22

How do you get that, If we can see highlights of the Carling cup matches then somone must be recording it, therefore someone may well be streaming it.

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

i think itll be
    ———————–ELLIOT———————–
    –SIMPSON–PERCH–SAYLOR–FERGIE—-
    GOSLING-GUTHRIE–ABEID-MARVEAUX
    ——————BA———————————–
    ——————————SHOLA—————–

HARPER–COLOCCINI–RAYLOR–SAMEOBI–CABAYE–BENARFA–BEST
    I reckon there is enough in that to beat forest and ill go for 3:1

• toonfan76

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

No probs Indian Magpie. There was me thinking I was posting in riddles for a second.

• WWJBD

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Toonfan
    In fairness we can’t just keep wrapping HBA in wool either he is built for the physicality of the English game or he’s not

Fair doos protect him until he is fit but by all accounts he is fit now so we can’t expect special treatment for him

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:44 AM

it was guthrie who came off in the 6:0 reserve win with a groin strain not gosling so i dont know whether its misreported or whether he recovered and Goose got one after or theyre both fine as i cant find anything official

• toonfan76

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM

@WWJBD
    I agree with what your saying, It’s more a concern I have with the Hatchet men of opposing teams (Cattermole for example) who just go out there and kick the flair players cos they can’t get near them. We all remember De Jong and his gentle approach.

• gorgonzola

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:54 AM

De Jong should be banned for life…and should get cancer…

• WWJBD

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM

True what your saying and I hate those players (Cattermole Henry etc) but they are part of the game…Nani, Young, Valencia, Nasri, Silva and the like all deal with it and I expect, given the right attitude, HBA will adapt to it too

I also expect HBA to spend a lot of this season on the injury table tbh

• WWJBD

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Am sorry but De Jong is a great player

And no one should have cancer wished on them

• Kris

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:58 AM

My team for today:
    Elliot
    Perch, S.Taylor, Kadar, Ferguson
    Obertan, Gosling, Guthrie, Marveaux
    Sammy Ameobi, Ba

Subs: Ben Arfa (second half sub), Harper, Cabaye, Shola, Lovenkrands, R.Taylor, Best