Let’s Not Get Carried Away With Early Success

The worst thing that can happen with the Newcastle squad right now, or even with the fans for that matter, is to get carried away with the good start the lads have made to the season.

Davide Santon – this youngster could imporve the side

After the disastrous  relegation two years ago, it has made us very wary of  what can happen, and we tend to stay a lot more grounded these days, whereas before two wins in a row,  and we were talking about the European Champions League!.

Not any more, because relegation was just too tough to take, and had a very sobering effect.

But manager Alan Pardew will not let the current squad get carried away at all, and that’s good because once November rolls around, Newcastle have a three match run when the lads have to play the following three game schedule:

November
Sat 19	15:00	A	Manchester City
Sat 26	15:00	A	Manchester Utd
December
Sat 03	15:00	H	Chelsea

If Newcastle can avoid defeat in any one of those games they will have done well.

So a good positive way to look at things right now,  is to get as many points as possible in the six league games before we play at Manchester City on November 19th, and also to progress to the quarter finals of the Carling Cup – that’s the next challenge for the team.

And the next six games in the league starting on Saturday are as follows:

September
Sat 24	15:00	H	Blackburn
October
Sat 01	15:00	A	Wolves
Sun 16	16:00	H	Tottenham
Sat 22	15:00	H	Wigan Athletic
Mon 31	20:00	A	Stoke City
November
Sat 05	12:45	H	Everton

This is what Pardew had to say to Sky Sports today about the Magpies impressive start to the season:

“I look around the building and I just see players in good form,”   “But this Premier League is such that one game can knock that on its head, so you always have to be on your guard.”

“It’s heady heights for us, but we are not getting carried away because it is early days.” “There are tougher tests to come, but we have also not had an easy start,”

“Five away games – we have only had two at home – that’s been lost a little bit, so even more so, the players have done terrifically.”

“The players are producing. Whichever player I put out there at the moment seems to have a bit of form about them and confidence, and that bodes well”

It will be very interesting to see where Newcastle are positioned at the end of this year (and where Liverpool are for that matter), and if the lads  are in the top eight in the league, we’ll be happy enough.

And of course as the new players meld into the team and get used to playing with each other, and Ben Arfa and David Santon start playing regularly for the side, Newcastle could have an even better side.

We’ll know soon enough, but it’s exciting times for the Geordie fans at the moment.

And to take it one game at a time – the only thing that matters at the moment, is to beat Blackburn Rovers on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

Howay The Lads!!

• beefman13

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Not gettin carried away thats for sure, but it is such a team spirit and togetherness is brilliant at the toon, we have many a score to settle on saturday!!!!!! onwards and upwards one game at a time, howay the lads!!!!!!!!

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

Let’s have two more wins, before the international break – the city will be buzzing!!

Very hard to contain the excitement. 😛

• ginkoh

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I will worry for our squad last season but for now I confident it will not be problem anymore.

• mattnufc

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

The last two games I’ve been to have finished 0-0 and I’m going to Blackburn on Sat. Another 0-0 then, sorry lads!

• GeordieDan

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

I’ve got no problem with getting carried away to be honest right now.

I’m loving our start to the season and why not dream a bit while we can still enjoy it?

Granted we’ll not exactly be in the running to win the Prem but we should be milking every second of our success right now before things change.

Another big win at the weekend and I’ll be one happy Geordie.

HWTL

• pardew no 1

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM

matt dont go

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM

matt dont worry lad I am playing on going Saturday and I am yet to see a goaless game 😉

• GeordiePeter

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM

hopefully Stoke beat Chelsea at the weekend too, we’ll be up in 3rd!

• Magforlife

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Great start better than i dared dream, but one word of caution………… Blackpool !!!!!

• ginkoh

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Point is point even it’s just early of the season but I will take it all no matter how.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Agree with a previous post. Let’s enjoy this success for now. No doubt, when we lose a couple this site will once more flood with the ‘I told u so’s’. Remember how many said we’ll get turned over by AV? Where are they now? Waiting no doubt.

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Cyprus

I agree, a certain few posters, are conspicuous by their absence…………..

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Am here….think I said we would get turned off though I predicted a 1-1 draw

• chuck

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Not like you to be cautious Ed.
    Usually see all things regarding NUFC through rose colored glasses.
    But of course we all are aware that this ride will end at some stage,(look at Chelsea vs. Fulham last w/end who’d a’ thunk it!).
    We hear a lot about our resilient defense and clean sheets etc., but in fact our back four are actually three decent defenders, it just happens to be our Achilles heel and badly needs strengthening.
    We all know that most teams start with a solid defense and build from there, apparently our two experts Ashley & Sancho Panza, thought you started from the midfield.
    Hope they figure it out by Christmas ?

• ginkoh

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:01 PM

The beautiful thing from our squad is if some of our first eleven slip their form, we still have someone with same or better quality to replace that’s different from last season.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Good point Ginkoh. As soon as someone slips up (except Shola of course) they;ll be another player to take over. btw, WWJBD, would you not agree that Shola has moved down a notch (u said third), since last game? Remember I had him bottom of the pile.

• ardenTOON

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Before the season it was the too many foreign players will take time to gel and the team spirit will suffer was what most were about. On the other hand Liverpool had brought the thoroughbred english players who would settle quickly. Well if only it was that plain and simple. I can see the club has direction and set itself a blueprint for progress. Credit where it is due would be nice 4 a change:) the pessimists seem to have gone missing

• ardenTOON

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Best seems to be banging them in but for me it’s ba whose caught the eye. He is the one proper striker we have at the club who has a shot on him and can link up play with the french lot…

• woodsee

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Apart from sunderland,the other match i hope we win is against Liverpool,and to think i never used to mind them.
    Lets run through the usual suspects
    Kenny boil inthe bag face Dalglish,
    Jose ,leave for champions league club Enrique
    Andy waltzer spinner Carroll
    oh and Phil proboscus monkey Thompson

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Honestly probably not. He was bad but was Lovenkrands better? Well he scored two goals that Shola would of scored…the header wasent exactly striker skill but more crossing skill and Shola is king of the pen

Maybe Lovenkrands is joint 3rd but I dont think he changes the game enough to go over Shola however its just my opinion and am too tired to really argue mate 🙂

• ardenTOON

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

chuck was it really chelsea vs fulham last weekend ? Do you even care abt football to bother watching??

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Never argued with anyone on this site. It’s just frustrating to have had him for over a decade, with so many coaches seeing something there (apart from his obvious physique) and yet no work rate or instinct for goal. I’ll be the first to be thrilled when he comes good! Maybe he’s like good wine…

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Then you sir are a better man then me. All I seem to do is argue haha must be my nature

I agree he is the most frustrating player at NUFC, oldest prospect in the league isnt he? Wine more like Whiskey 😉 Nice malt that lad will become….when he is 50 he will be hammering them in on a Sunday with a pub team

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Anyone know how strict unis are on predicted grades?

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:34 PM

ochytoon
    Depends on what course, what uni and how far off the grades are I think

I got into my course with a ABC when I needed ABB

• Marty-Toon

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Tis strange that we`ll actually be surprised and disappointed when we lose our first game.
    we are playing so well and gettin some luck too which was missing last season for sure.
    The team is looking strong throughout,with a lot of skill through the team.
    Tis probably our best ball playing team for many a decade.
    Just gotta get more players adding goals and assists for Guti and Obertan.
    If we can get the wingers crossing well and attacking the full backs then we`ll be a serious threat for almost anyone.
    Blackburn should be 3 point and Wolves but the International break and then the Spuds i can`t see us beating them but hey who knows?????
    Howay the lads!!!

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM

WWJBD
    I need either ABB or AAB and I’m predicted A/B, B and B

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:42 PM

ochytoon
    I would say if you got the A in the course you wanted then it wouldnt be a issue (or in fact if you got 3 B’s might not be a issue) but would depend on the popularity of the course youve picked and popularity of the Uni

I had to ring Northumbria on the day I got my results to see if I got in and both my course and my Uni are very popular but I had no problem

• alip123

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:46 PM

From the next 6 games, I predict:

Bburn (h) as much as I’d love to see us win, I think we will have to be cautious. D

Wolves (a) They won’t be targeting Barton, and are not in great form. W

Spurs (h) Draw

Wigan (h) Win

Stoke (a) After Carling Cup, Stoke will be more tired. (D).

I am hoping for at least another 9 points from the next 5 games.

HWTL!

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:50 PM

WWJBD
    The A/B is for economics but I want to do history. I need to beg my history teacher for an A lol. Good thing she likes me. BTW, have you ever been too Norwich and if so, what is the night-life like?

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM

ochytoon
    To my (very limited) knowledge History isnt a hugely popular subject classes up here are around 20people in a lecture (compared to mine which are between 200-500) so I wouldnt worry too much about it just do ya best…and maybe have a word with ur teacher and ask her what your chances are mate she’ll know more than me

As for Norwich Ive never been bud so cant help ya, thought you were Southampton bound though?

• colwell

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM

alip123

Are you hoping that Stoke are still going to be tired in 5 weeks time because they played Spurs in extra time on tuesday?

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM

WWJBD
    Changed my mind, I decided its not worth living 30 minutes from home. As of now, my targets are Kent (nightlife depending), Birmingham, Reading, Newcastle, Uni of East Anglia (Norwich). Thats good too know about history not being too popular up north.

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM

ochytoon
    Fair point lad. Birminghams meant to be a utter sh*thole from what I have heard not to put you off like 😉

Dont know about the rest (other than the Toon obviously). I only know about History because I used to work with a lad who did it at Newcastle Uni he said it was good and he got to go to Sweeeeeeeeden for a semester to study abroad for free. Think I picked the wrong bleeding thing to do like!

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM

WWJBD
    Sounds very appealing, I didn’t realise you got to go abroad for free, nice. You took financial studies right?

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Haha, I chuckled

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Aye he had to apply for it and was lucky enough to get it not sure that its a full part of the course or just a option people can take.

I am currently studying Business Management mate

• ochytoon

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Business management thats it, how far are you into your course?

• WWJBD

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM

First day of my final year was today and I am already dreading the work load bump. Enjoy your first and second year lad thats all I would say