Leon Best Still Improving But Finishing Very Very Good

Leon Best, as we had hoped for, is again a revelation for Newcastle so far this season, as he has scored 3 goals in just five appearances for the first team.

Leon Best after scoring one of his three goals this season

And this year he has scored 9 goals in just 17 first team appearances, and only 12 of those were starts,  so Leon’s record this year is simply outstanding.

Remember that Leon hadn’t played in the Premier League until last January, and in his first start he scored a great hat-trick against West Ham United.

And  like any good striker he just loves scoring goals, and you can see that when he bags a goal, he lightens up and runs towards the Newcastle fans, and he’s also becoming a popular lad on Tyneside, as he keeps scoring those goals for the club.

There are still areas of his game that he needs to improve on, and it seems Alan Pardew is coaxing that out of the willing learner, and as we said last week, as long as he keeps scoring goals for Newcastle he will be back in the Ireland International squad very soon.

It will be interesting  to see if Leon makes the Ireland squad for the European Championship qualifiers against Armenia and Andorra next month, and of course a goal or two tomorrow against Blackburn would almost make it certain he will be recalled by the Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni.

Alan Pardew was asked if the manager can get more out of Best today:

“I don’t know if it is about getting more out of him – it is about Besty playing to his potential.” “He is showing that.”

“In the games he’s started he has a great record and he wants to continue that.”  “His all round game is something we work on and his finishing is very, very good.”

“Leon is top scorer for us now.”  “He’s very pleased with that.” “There is no special ingredient, confidence is a massive tool in this trade.”

The saying that when one door closes another opens is so true, and the fact that Newcastle failed to bring in a top striker in the summer, has given Leon Best another chance at Newcastle, and he seems to be taking it big time.

Keep it up Leon, you’ve done great so far!

• Shorzy

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM

1st mo fo’s!!!!

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Excellent striker. Without him on the pitch our team suddenly looks void of goals. Truly a revelation and i hope he goes on and takes the league and Europe by storm. Potential to be 1 of the most complete striker we ever had.

Just needs to work hard on his all round game and movements inside the box. Finishing is top notch. No matter what the doubters will say, bottom line is, when he plays, he simply scores.

• Tiote4PM

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Besty is starting to Impress. Hope that he manages to keep things going. If we had paid 15 mill for him people would be raving about him at minute…

Just need Ba to start firing – I have high hopes for him also.

• Shorzy

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

2nd – While I like Besty I can’t help thinking he’s not good enough, I know I’m bang out of order and he’s outscoring the likes or Torres and other top players I just can’t get my head round it. I think it may be because he’s been a bargain buy or something like that……anyway, off to have a word with myself……..

What does anyone else think??

• Jan Stavik

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM

ilovetoon8788, the fact that Best looks so good is probably because the replacement quite often is Shola. Who is probably the worst striker in EPL…

But I agree, Best has impressed me a lot the last 6 or 7 months!

• ontariomag

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM

firstly Ed hope all goes well in your battle thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Best’s record speaks for itself better than most goals/game ratio. Ba looked as lazy as shola the first few games but he looked better against villa so hopefully with the potential we have in midfield we can keep up the good work.
    gosling and vukic impresed me on US tour so we do have strength in depth. But surely Shola’s days are done i accept everyonne can have a bad day but dont accept that they dont put the effort in when they do

• scottoon

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

LB is a bit of a revelation. Did not look like much when he came over during the season in the Championship, but when he got his chance he took it. He has that ability to be in the right place.

I would like to see this side against Blackburn

————-Krul————–

Simmo—-Staylor—–Collo—–Raylor

Obertan—–Tiote—–Cabaye—–Jonas

————–HBA———–

———–Besty——————-

Subs – Harps, Perch, Marveaux, Gosling, Sameobi, Ba, Abeid

• WWJBD

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I would disagree with Pardew that Bests finishing is very very good. Very much like Best but his shots arent great

A lot of his goals are tap ins more because of his all round play opposed to his finishing to which he often aims directly at the keeper….or am I just way off again?

• toon 4 life

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:39 PM

is best english or irish

• scottoon

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Best is Irish but was born and grew up in Nottingham to Irish parents.

WWJBD – you’re right, we haven’t seen much of his finishing, more of a poacher that pops up in the right place at the right time. Mind, he did force a great save against QPR on the turn so maybe it is there and we just haven’t seen it yet.

• colwell

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Besty gives everything when he plays, he`s not as big as shola but out muscled Hangeland and beat him in the air. has a bit of skill and pace, shoots with both feet and most importantly SCORES all the time.

What more can we ask we could have a 50m striker that can`t hit a barn door but on paper looks better or someone that always scores?

For his price he has to be 1 of our brilliant bargains.

• AshtreeKid

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM

best is a poacher, if we had a quality centreforward next to him he would be good enough

• WWJBD

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Aye fair one that shot against QPR was decent as was his second against Fulham (lovely touch and stick ur boot through it move) maybe he just needs to work on his shot power tbh. But his all round game is pretty good imo hes always moving and tempting runs often ghosts into dangerous positions

Not sure whether Pardew is just filling him with confidence or he generally thinks that…hard to tell with the Riddler 😉

• AMEOBI

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I think that Pardrew is right, he’s the one that watches him day in day out. Probs got some rockets up his sleeves to come out against blackburn 😉

• cgrizzly87

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM

for anyone who watched the QPR game on Sky Sports…

Best is Gary Neville’s favourite local geordie hero, rising through the ranks of the youth team with wor Shola

• scottoon

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I do wonder about his ankle though. Never plays 90 minutes. He has had issues in the past, and he often seems to labour after taking simple knocks. Still, as long as he is healthy he is knocking them in for us. Long may it continue.

I heard that Harps is not fit for the subs bench. Anyone know what is going on there? Is his knee still acting up?

• colwell

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM

When Ben Arfa is %100 fit we aren`t going to play 2 up top so Best (Ba) is up on their own. It won`t matter anyways as long as the ball goes in the box Best will score.

• WWJBD

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Last I heard on Harper was he wanted to take a step back from the team a bit due to his knees (and general body issues) not sure if its true or if it was just a rumour though so take it with a pinch of salt

I know he was very vocal about wanting to keep the no1 spot this season however maybe his recent pains have forced a change of heart? Hope not though it may explain why Elliot came in

• shearermania

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:01 PM

best’ biggest problem is hes constant off side….

brilliant in the air i might add…

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM

He’s another bargain. I always thought there was something special in Best even before we signed him. Now my instinct is proving me right again. When he played for us at the beginning people were knocking him down but I always felt he’ll come good and I am glad to see he has taken his chance unlike a certain Ameobi. You see Ameobi is a player that never convinced me since his debut. I have a knack in guessing correctly. I also thought we should have signed Hargreaves in the summer when many doubted me and look at him now. I also have a REALLY GOOD FEELING WITH OUR TEAM NOW so success can’t be that far away. I haven’t been so excited about our team since Sir Bobby!!

HTL

• voodoo85

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

@6 – agree with the team but would have marveaux and jonas start, probs try jonas on the right

then bring obertan on with 25 mins to go when their defenders are tyring

• scottoon

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Too bad about Harps but would explain Elliott coming over.

Don’t mind Besty being offside. Seems he likes to play on the shoulder and looks to get the jump on the defenders. It can be frustrating, but one missed call by a linesman might win you a match. Once had a coach who told us to “cheat” that way. I would rather those offside calls, then the type against Stolla who is just generally lazy getting back onside.

• scottoon

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM

@voodoo – I think Pards wants to keep Jonas on the left as protection for Raylor. When Santon is fit, I think we might see the change to Marv, who has looked absolutely brilliant in the cup ties so far.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM

How much can we get for him in January,if he gets another ten goals in between now and then.

• WWJBD

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM

JP
    Look at Hargreaves now? Hes played one match fella haha might want to hold off on the I told u so’s until he has played a few more

• GarageFlower

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

He’s mint.

• AshtreeKid

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

JP I love you modesty, think you should be a proffessiinal scout! Only kidding with you!

• jamesnufc86

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM

lol cgrizzly87 , I actually rewinded it to see if I heard it right , lol Gary Neville get the f off my tele!

• jamesnufc86

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:23 PM

ha ha cgrizzly87 i actually rewinded that bit to see if i heard it right , Gary Nville get the fu*k of my tv

• mikeashleyisamackem

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM

yeah i watched that with neville a was like what f planet you on m8 we only signed him a year or so ago just proves his football knowledge is pure dross

• mikeashleyisamackem

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:26 PM

neville neville is his dads name he comes from a family of half wits so what u expect

• magpiebop

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Get yer money on Geordie Best!