The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Senegal Striker Happy To Have His Sharpness Back

9:42 am, Tuesday, September 27th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Demba Ba seems happy to be back to top fitness. and that first goal of his last Saturday showed his skills.

Demba Ba - after scoring one of his goals on Saturday

He took a pass from Leon Best on his chest, turned and rammed the ball with tremendous power past goalkeeper Paul Robinson with his right foot,  for his first ever goal for Newcastle.

And of course he followed it with two other goals for the fourth Premier League hat-trick by a Newcastle player in the last two seasons, and those players were  Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan, Leon Best and now Demba Ba.

Demba Ba talked about his hat-trick against a poor looking  Blackburn side:

“As a striker it is always important to score the first goal for your club, the sooner the better,” “It didn’t play on my mind though, I was more focused on getting my sharpness back in this game.”

“Even if I had not scored a hat-trick I would still have been happy as I felt sharp. That was my goal. My team-mates were really happy for me and all signed the matchball.”

In fact Demba Ba had a very good game at Villa Park in the previous league game, and he got some praise from manager Alan Pardew after the 1-1 draw, although Leon Best got the headlines with his third goal of the season.

As we all know, Ba’s conditioning was not helped in the summer by not being able to eat or drink during daylight hours, as he fasted for Ramadan for a month.

So how does he replenish his fluids after training, especially in America, when the temperatures were over 100 degrees F?  That even sounds dangerous to us.

The Senegal International continued:

“I trained every day,” “I did everything asked of me and I have been doing this fasting ever since I was a young boy.”

“Sometimes it doesn’t affect you at all, sometimes you start feeling a bit tired. But it is not something new to me – I have been doing this for a long time.”

“I am used to it and it is something very important to me. My faith is where I get my confidence and energy from. I will not quit doing this because I can’t.”

“I was sharp during that time although maybe not quite as sharp as I would like to have been.”  “It would not have mattered if they had brought a new striker in because it would have been good for the team,”

“The manager is thinking about the team and the players have to think about it too. They can bring as many strikers in as they want as far as I am concerned. It would not bother me at all.

“Whatever happens I will just keep working and trying to show what I can do.”

Demba Ba is certainly a modest man who is also very likable and seems to be an out and out team player, which is also good and contributes to the excellent team spirit at the club.

The 26 year-old looked great at West Ham earlier this year, and he has shown the same form in his last couple of games for Newcastle, so we have to hope that form will continue and more goals will be on the way from the former 1899 Hoffenheim player.

Tags: Demba Ba · Newcastle News

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 roshan MAGPIE // Sep 27, 2011 at 9:50 AM

i think ba and best will score against wolves

• 2 WWJBD // Sep 27, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Very likeable lad Ba is and has the right attitude regarding competition for places

As for the fasting issue personally I think Pardew was at fault for picking him (and Pards has come out and said as much himself) but we should get to see a better game from him now so bring on Wolves

• 3 Stuart // Sep 27, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Haha, according to The Mirror, the night Nile Ranger got arrested and his car nicked he was out drinking with Mario Ballotelli.

Now if that isnt a good influence for the lad I dont know what is…

• 4 Bobtoon // Sep 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM

I know it is a good problem to have but I really don’t know how we are going to incorporate HBA into the starting eleven if Ba and Best keep up this excellent form

• 5 AMEOBI // Sep 27, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Really Stuart? Where’s this said? Wouldn’t surprise me but I’d say Mario balotelli is out of his reach, he wouldn’t hang with ranger surely?

• 6 AMEOBI // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Ah the Mirror didn’t see that :S

• 7 SincerelySamuel // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM

agreed Ba comes across as a very humble lad who whole heartedly loves and apreciates the position he is in unlike a certain other forward we have cough cough Ranger we seem to at the minute have 2 strikers who are prepared to work are selfless have self belief in abundance not a shred of arrogance loverman is similar in mentality but at times a little too selfish and lower quality i agree imma put a cheeky quid on Best and Ba to score provided theyre in the starting lineup and as for Pardew he hadnt earned the job when he was given it but hes definately well on his way now i think we can all agree i also lik the fact he has no quarms about changing things if his initial tactics didnt work eg when he subbed ba at HT earlier in season

• 8 Cockney Magpie // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:09 AM

If best and ba carry on this form, ben arfa will have to play out on a wing, marveaux and benarfa on the wings with tiote and cabaye in the middle and best and ba stickin them away

• 9 ITUNDERASHELL // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Looks like we may be in for Marveux Martin if l have his name spelt correctly and the right way round.
    Saw him play for france recently and he is a genius, if this happens lads we really will be in business.

• 10 DanToon // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM

………………………….. Krul

………… S. Taylor – Coloccini – Santon

Obertan/Jonas – Cabaye – Tiote – Marveoux

……………………… Ben Arfa

……………………… Best – Ba

What do you think to that team? Very attack minded.

• 11 ITUNDERASHELL // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Sorry lads, his name is Marvin Martin, watch some videos of him on ytube.

• 12 Stuart // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Probably out of our price range ITUNDERASHELL although we were apparently interested in him during the summer.

• 13 SincerelySamuel // Sep 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM

@CockneyMagpie #8
    oh dear u just made me make a happyness in my trousers with the exitement of that forward 6 sublime …now i neeed a cigarette

• 14 Cockney Magpie // Sep 27, 2011 at 11:32 AM

@sincerelysamuel haha I have no idea how to reply to that comment,(except by tellin u I have no idea how to reply to that comment)

• 15 Munster Mag // Sep 27, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Dantoon, i like that team and have said it on here before, but only for home games. It will require and awful lot of energy from the wide midfielders. I’m not sure Marveaux will tackle aswell as he may need to either. It certainly will help us to hammer some teams though.

previous post: Derek LLambias Has Been Great With Us