It’s Great To Have A Manager Like Pardew At Newcastle

Gabriel Obertan has been singing the praises of his manager Alan Pardew, and he seems to be just delighted to be playing at Newcastle.

Gabriel Obertan  – in action against Blackburn

As we saw on Saturday, the French winger is steadily gaining confidence and learning his role in the team, and  he is getting better and better, and this lad could turn out to be a great buy for Newcastle.

Not only that,  but the fact he speaks in lyrical terms about the manager, the club and the City, can only help Newcastle recruit more good French players in the future, and not only French players.

The 22-year-old joined Newcastle on a long five year deal from Manchester United in the summer for around £3M, after he couldn’t  make the Red Devils first team too often, and just wasn’t getting the games at Old Trafford.

Like the other French players at Newcastle, he has settled in very well on Tyneside, and he has told the media just how good a boss he thinks Alan Pardew is:

“He is a great boss because he is close to his players. He talks a lot to us and he’s good at managing egos in a team. It is a great to have a coach like this.”

“I am starting to settle in game by game. There’s no reason why we can’t get a good result down there (Wolvcs) . “The confidence is near the top at the moment after the win at Blackburn. We’ll work hard this week and get prepared, then we’ll be ready for the game.”

“I knew this was a big move. I knew when I came here that this is a big club in England. so I was just glad to hear of the interest from the club. It’s a great opportunity and one that I didn’t want to miss out on.”

“This is why I moved to Newcastle – when I saw the opportunity, I didn’t hesitate,”  “The coach trusts me, so I’m really happy at the moment.”  “We were really happy to get the three points. Everybody produced. When we win like this, it’s a great feeling.”

“I’m really happy for Demba because he works hard in training. He scored three goals, and he was present in each play.”  “We’ve not lost a game this season. It’s great for the confidence. We’ve got a good group, and it’s great in the changing room.”

“If we can keep playing like this, it will be great.” “Personally, I’m finding my fitness, and I was really happy to play 90 minutes. It was good to play in this team.”

There’s no doubt the club seems to be in a better position now than it’s been for several years, and that has to be good news.

And the fact that Newcastle signed up Jonas Gutierrez to a couple more years on Tyneside yesterday, so he will be around for the next four years ,was a pleasant surprise and very well received by the fans.

We know the club are working to extend some other players’ contracts, and at least two of them are Danny Simpson and captain Fabricio Coloccini.

But of course all that matters right now is getting ready for the game at Wolves on Saturday afternoon, and trying to get another 3 points.

That’s the name of the game this season, and Newcastle so far have been very good at that.

Comments welcome.

• Indian Magpie

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM

we should go gor marco van basten

• Eastander

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM

You know things are going well when you have hatem ben arfa and davide santon in your squad and I personally wouldnt drop anyone for them to come in!

• geoff777

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:42 AM

I think Santon will get in the team as soon as gets a reserve game or two in and has no reaction. Probably he’ll start against Wigan.

HBA may have to make a few more cameo 20 minute sub appearances but eventually he’ll be too good to leave out.

I hope Pardew gives Marveaux more time in the pitch too. Perhaps a double substitution with HBA on 65-70 minutes. Bringing him on with five minutes to go isn’t giving him time to settle and show his skills.

• Eyeball81

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Agree eastander!! its good to finally have a squad that are playing well where we have real quality chomping at the bit to get on the pitch….hoping 3 points at wolves!!

• drongo

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM

@ geoff – thats exactly what I’d do in pards shoes at the minute. Jonas makes oppo fullbacks really work all game. Imagine having to deal with that for an hour and then have Marv come on to run at you.

• SincerelySamuel

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM

you gotta love it when due to form an ability its hard to find a space for Marveaux and BenArfa on the starting lineup agreed tho if were in command id bring in Marveaux and BenArfa at 60 mins

• BigKirky

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:53 AM

If Ben Arfa and Santon are eased in as it looks like they will be, the bigger chunk of sub appearances which they get, the more chance they have of outperforming the person who started in their position, thus making it hard for Pardew not to start them in future games. Alan is right in that the players must earn their place.

• wynsleap

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM

When Santon gets 100% fit he looks nailed on for the permanent left back spot.
    Unfortunately I think we’ll only get a string of short, in and out, cameo performances from Benny this year until his confidence and match fitness returns.
    Nice to hear the players’ good opinions of the manager though.

• thepict

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Good to see Mr P getting some credit after the abuse he has received from some people on here. When will some “fans” on here understand that the players who were sold would not have got into our current side.
    As for Jose he didn’t want to be here so get rid.

• Munster Mag

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Pict, thats rubbish mate. Barton would be in , and Enrique is one of the best left backs in England, and one of the best in the history of the club.

• drongo

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:45 AM

@ Munster – Barton would be in instead of whom?

Dont get me wrong, Im a big Joey fan, but if we’re playing a 4 man midfield hes cover for Tiote and cabaye all day.

• Benton Toon Exile

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Pardew is doing a great job and deserves all the plaudits he is getting!
    If he keeps the club in the top half playing good football then happy days!!!!!

• Sav

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM

For f’s sake, 6 games in and its ‘Pardew for England job’. Why don’t the papers get lost and leave us to quietly get on with growing a decent club/ being deluded / whatever?

• Sav

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:43 PM

For Pets’s sake, 6 games in and its ‘Pardew for England job’! Why dont the press get lost and leave us to quietly grow a decent club/ be delusional/ whatever. Sad, southern wasters.

• thepict

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Munster Mag, I never said Jose wasn’t a good player. Indeed I voted him player of the season 2009-10. From January this year he couldn’t be ar@@d. Indeed, I remember Nolan giving him a ba@@iking on the pitch against Wolves. He didn’t want to be here therefore what is the point in keeping him?
    As for Nolan and Barton they would not have got in the team ahead of Tiote and Cabaye. entitiled to your opinion as am I. That’s what forums are for discussion.

• Munster Mag

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Pict, sorry if i sounded aggressive. wasnt intended. The reason Enrique was half arsed was due to a lack of ambition. Has we kept Carroll and made the very modest investment in players that we have made this summer, then he and Barton may have stayed. People are too quick to diss Barton. He;s a proven premiership midfielder and a better tackler than Cabaye from what I’ve seen , and I like Cabaye. I would also guess that he would provide more assists than Obertan , from what I have seen. In fairness, being in Ireland i’m relying on Sky / TV , but i’d be sloss to diss tje guys we lost. Barton ran the show for QPR and Cabaye had no influence on the game. And please dont blame a 5 man QPR midfield.

• Tom_Toon

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Cabaye is younger and infinitely better than Barton. Anyone who thinks Barton is better doesn’t have a clue.

• magpiebop

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Only Enrique and Carroll out of the players sold would get in this team. Barton and Nolan left because they were not going to start regularly and we look more balanced since Barton left and we are scoring more goals!