Jonas Shows Class With Great Goal To Celebrate New Contract

It seemed just perfect when Jonas Gutierrez scored one of his best goals ever on Saturday at Molineaux, to celebrate his two year extension to his contract he signed last week.

Jonas Gutierrez – after missing decent chance on Saturday – before his goal

That will keep Jonas on Tyneside until 2015, and we are hoping the same will also soon be true for Newcastle’s stellar captain and Jonas’ Argentine pal, Fabricio Coloccini.

Jonas is now off to join the Argentine squad during the International break, when the Argentines will play games with Chile and Venezuela in the World Cup qualifiers, and he had this to say to the local Newcastle press today:

“It was a nice goal and I enjoyed it. But the most important thing was to go there and take away the three points.”

“It was an open game and we had space to exploit. We did a lot of running towards them. We tried to keep the ball.”

“In the second half we didn’t create as many chances, the most important thing in the second half was to defend as well as we did. We are happy about that.”

“I am very happy about the result, it was really important to come to Wolves, play away and take the three points.”

As well as scoring that dramatic goal, when he somehow got past about four Wolves defenders before putting his shot beautifully into the far corner of the net, Jonas worked his socks off, as usual, for the Newcastle cause.

It’s these types of players we just love having at Newcastle, but there again,  there seems to be a lot of very good characters and very good players on Tyneside right now.

That bodes very well for the future of Newcastle United.

For the record, Jonas has now played 120 times for Newcastle with eight goals.

• G

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Perhaps we should get him to sign it again, just before the Spurs game?

• Trent Toon

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Jonas is an easy starter everytime for us even ahead of hatem benarfa

• Trent Toon

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

@ G

Haha good idea

• BOOM BOOM THE 1ST

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

what a pro it must really make pardews job so much easier having the likes of jonas and collo around a club when EVERYBODY thats at the club seem to be pulling in the same direction i wonder what @joey7barton thought of his game yesterday by fcuk they got a spanking.

• Toon Tang

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:33 PM

finish was straight outa the top drawer. you can tell gutti’s up’d his game coz of the competition for his place now. this can only be a good thing.

Gutti has always had massive workrate helping back down the left as well which is why i think he should be starting games whilst raylor’s at LB. He needs all the help he can get against better RW. Starting marvaux could be a risk just for this point.

toon toon black and white armpits (as my young daughter used to say) hahaha

• HENDAS-NUFC

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Any 1 got any real news on D,Ba being injured or not ?

• ichrisho

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:49 PM

HOWAY JONAS… He with COLLO plus the French Revolution is making this club great again… We are now very hight regarded in Italy, France and Argentina… think we can have a few starts from there in the future? I DO think… Good business strategy by whomever is counselling the actual donkey’s running the club…

• boater

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Jonas contributions are that of about 2 or 3 players over a season. It’s outstanding – plus he never seems to tire in a game. Best dribbler in the premier league, okay we all know about the final ball at times, but if he had that too then he’d be at Barcelona or REal Madrid not at the toon.

• ToonAndy

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Our team by an absolute mile is…..

———————–KRUL———————–

SIMPSON—SAYLOR—COLLO—SANTON

—————CABAYE—TIOTE—————-

JONAS——–BENNY ARFA—–MARVEAUX

————————-BA————————-

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM

I agree, ToonAndy. Depending on effectiveness, Jonas and Marveaux can always switch, during matches. The sheer energy and speed we’d have to come off the bench, would be amazing too, to torture tiring legs.

• ballerfan2

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

He never stops running and working for the team, offensively and in defence. He’s never injured (touch wood). He constantly puts teams on the back foot with his ability to run at a defence…… and still some people moan about him. “Oh, we’ve got a sparkly new toy (Marveaux) so let’s put him in the team for Guttierez”. On what basis I ask. Marveaux may prove in time to be another brilliant signing (and the signs are good I admit) but you don’t take off one of our most consistent players to give him a game. Marv hasn’t really proved anything yet except that he is a class above the likes of Scunny and Forest. His time will come but hopefully not because of an injury to the Toon Messi.

• drongo

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

@Toonandy & mike above

I have exactly that line up and formation – but with Raylor in for simpson. I think his crossing off his right foot compensates for Jonas’s one and only weakness. Means he can hold the width too and let jonas go off on one as he likes to!

• ballerfan2

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:51 PM

There does appear to be very short memories regarding Ryan Taylor. When Simpson was last injured not so long ago and Raylor played RB everyone was desperate for the return of a proper full back because of the obvious defensive deficiencies he continues to show on occasions. Although having said all that, I think he has played out of his skin so far and has done a marvellous job. He is a proper pro in all he does. I still don’t think he is naturally a good as defender as Simpson though.

• WWJBD

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:54 PM

ballerfan2
    When did Raylor play RB for a injured Simmo? I cant recall that

I do agree though Id have Simmo over Raylor at RB any day

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Can somebody tell me where these rumours about Demba Ba being injured are coming from? I read it on here yesterday and could only find links to .org – not that I read the article mind you.

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:58 PM

@WWJBD: I think he’s confusing Simmo with Perchy at the start of last season. The only time I remember Simmo being injured was when he was recovering from his operation – don’t even remember the lad being subbed with a niggle tbh.

• Dannyo

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM

HBA and Santon is on paper better than some of the players we’re fielding. I recognise that the team as a whole is doing well, but with those two on, should we not be doing even better?
    With HBA on the field ahead of Best for example, should we not be able to bury Wolves like Pardew has said?
    I understand that it’s difficult for Pards, taking a player off when he’s played almost every game in an unbeaten run.
    But we could do even better with some of the people we have on the bench, starting on the pitch instead…

I’m missing a bit more of a cynical side of Pardew when picking his side.

• WWJBD

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Thump
    Ah that makes sense haha I was lost I cant remember seeing Raylor play RB for NUFC at all

As for the Ba rumour I have only read it on here but could be people putting 2 and 2 together because he went down hurt in the match then was subbed off later on I pay no heed to it until the Journal or Chronicle report it

• Dannyo

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM

If it was from the match, the man was holding his ankle, and the physio/medic was looking at it.
    But he was subbed of akit kater was he not?
    Nothing wrong with his knee, and we would have heard about from Pards.

• toonbrother

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:07 PM

marveaux is much better

• WWJBD

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Yeah it was a fair bit after he went down that he was taken off to my memory

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM

He’s definitely played RB for us but I think it was mostly in the CCC. I distinctly remember him playing somebody onside for a goal as he tracked back and still raised his arm to appeal to the ref and his assistant – I was f’ing furious with him that day.

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Yeah he got a clatter in the match but if it was that bad, he would have been subbed straight away. I think it was about 10/15 minutes after he got clattered before Lover came on for him.

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Ignore ‘before’ in the above post. I have no idea why I put that in lol

• WWJBD

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Oh fair one I think I have wiped the CCC season out of my memory 🙂

• Dannyo

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

@thump
    Not as bad as my “akit kater”. How the hell was i able to write that…
    But being clattered 10/15 mins after Loven came in before is pretty impressive too, lol.
    Fair play to WWJBD for understanding my sudden japanese… 😛
    Now, what can we do to get Pards convinced on fielding Santon and HBA as starters next time?!

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Wouldn’t know like, Dannyo. That Akit Kater is some player 😉

• Dannyo

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM

@Milking Mikes’ bulging pockets
    If u got to NUFCTV and watch a penalty shootout between Campbell and Hooper, u’ll see that they’re quite different.
    Hoopers is a big lad, in the Shola mould, Campbell is a short CAM (i think), built sorta like Rooney, but not quite his “witdth” if thats the right word for it.
    Did Campbell not win that sporting award thingy?

• AshtreeKid

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Dannyo, think we should stick with players who are playing if they’re in form. Its up to the others to take their chance when they get it… or we end up with players who know they’re playing every week no matter what which is very un healthy

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Yeah, says in that article. A prestigious ‘best player’ award at some tournament, previously won by Xavi, Tevez and Torres, to name a few.

Campbell scored 1 (running from the half-way) and assisted 3, against the Mackem U-18s, at the weekend.

They both sound like blinding prospects.

• GeordieGerman

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM

MMbp, both? I’m confused.

• GeordieGerman

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Ah Hooper. Sorry.

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Ashtree

I kind of agree, but in the case of Raylor being omitted for Santon, it’s just common sense. Raylor, by his own admission isn’t a LB, he’s filling in. Santon is a LB and we’ve bought him to come and replace Enrique, as a starter.

He’s simply a better player, who’d be playing in a familiar and comfortable position.

Would release whoever is playin LW too, as well as adding another dynamic to our attacks.

Raylor can challenge for RB, he’s good enough to oust Simpson, when he gets the chance, in my opinion.

• Dannyo

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:34 PM

@AshtreeKid
    Ye, i realise it could be demoralizing. But our main point is to win games. And fair play, we’ve done that so far, but i still think we could do it even more convincingly. And by all accounts, Ben Arfa would create more and Santon is our LB, Raylor simply isn’t.

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Maiga still very keen and banging them in for fun, so far this season.

• WWJBD

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I am all for Santon coming in for Raylor but as for HBA coming in for either Ba or Best I dont see it right now. Ba and Best are working very well together and have a understanding

Using HBA as a RW coming in for Obertan is ideal imo

• Thump

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Good words from Maiga. I like that resilient attitude.

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM

WWJBD

That would fully expose Simmo. No chance of that happening. I do agree, Ba and Best are developing an understanding, creating chances for each other, both have a good blend of pace, power, aerial ability and movement – very difficult to defend against.

Spurs are vulnerable at the back, Ledley King is made of paper mache and uber slow. Best and Ba’s mobility will wreak havoc.

• WWJBD

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:49 PM

MMbp
    I dont see how it would expose Simmo anymore than Obertan does tbh