Magpies After Maiga – “Newcastle Are A Very Good Club”

News in the Daily Mirror that Newcastle are still very interested in Sochaux striker Mobido Maiga.

Modibo Maiga– Newcastle still interested?

The news is that Newcastle will reopen negotiations in January for the striker, who they almost signed on the last day of the transfer window in August.

It looked like the deal was going through, but Sochaux stalled at the last minute, ruining the Magpies’ chances of signing a top striker to replace Andy Carroll, and Alan Pardew was less than happy with the situation.

Maiga went on strike for a while over the summer, on August 12th to be exact, as he tried to force a move to Newcastle,  and it seems that the Sochaux supporters have not forgiven him, as they boo him regularly.

This is what Maiga said today:

“I have had enough of being booed by supporters right now, but anyway it does not stop me scoring goals for the club and making them happy.”

“I scored a double for them again at the weekend. I had two chances on Saturday against Toulouse, two goals, just to thank them.”

“Newcastle? They are a very good club, I will not finish my career in Sochaux if I am scoring every week – that is the reality of football. I have not invented that!”

“At the moment I am here and scoring goals. I do not know when the transfer window opens what there will be. It depends also on the club, but in the near future I want to ply my trade in another top league.”

“It is a genuine ambition, I will accept being booed for that!”

We really hesitate to say that Newcastle will be signing Maiga in January, because it’s already been a bit of a soap opera, with the club’s negotiations with Sochaux.

Indeed Sochaux reported Newcastle to FIFA in August,  for what they said was an illegal approach by the Tyneside club for their player.

But Maiga will give the Newcastle attack something different up front, and we think he would be a very good buy at around £8M.

Sunderland ate also now said to be interested in the player – why’s that not a surprise?

Modibo has scored 19 goals in 41 appearances for Sochaux, since  joining them in 2010 from Le Mans.

What do you think?

• beddersmag

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Bit concerned as hes obviously somewhat mercenary but guess thats just the way of the world now. Anyone seen him play? I hope hes a quick player in the bellamy defoe owen mould because we seem obsessed with target men

• i Toon

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM

Transfer talk in Oct

• dbeeio

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM

1st

• dbeeio

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:37 PM

now off to bed got uni 2moro

• dbeeio

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:40 PM

nah that aint fair i was frikin 1st then sme1 bumpd my comment down

• numba9

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:56 PM

beddersmag, looks like a bit of a targetman again , i agree a bellers or defoe type would be more beneficial for us, id say andy johnson would also be worth a pop just what we could do with as a squad

• TinoToon

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Shane Long is not that bad at all. i’d have liked that Pardew have opted for him.

• spitfire_

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I don’t want him… prefer Eren Derdiyok.

• Sav

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM

Stand to be proven wrong but I have to say this kid sounds like a right pain in the arse and a hatful of trouble. If Pards signs him he’d better be sure or his well-balanced apple-cart could get tipped over.

• liam85

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I have every faith in Pardew if he wants to bring him in! – OK, he’s a bit silly with the way he handled the transfer situation but I’m sure pardew could sort him out.
    Only last week he thought he can handle Tevez (not that I really want him lol).
    Pardew has done so much already this season to help us. I know it\s early days but there’s a big improvement from last year for sure.
    Our players are winning games! doesn’t bother me, if he’s scoring those goals, manager and co really want him, then bring it on! 😀

• Level 7 Hero

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Would prefer any from Nolan Roux, Erdinc or Cisse… He’s the man like. But yeah its a strange feeling to trust a manager in the transfer market for a change. Still way to early to discuss transfers really, but its good to hear that there starting the recruitment drive now.
    Also, could have had a lucky escape with that Bangura who went to Celtic 5 games 0 goals. Still early days but hasn’t hit the ground running.

• toonincheek

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:59 AM

dbeeio –
    If there was any way we could bump your comment(s) down, or better still delete them, we would.

Unfortunatel;y, we can’t.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Now Ed, i really think its not good to be talking transfers on 3rd October!

There was so much bull the last time around, we were linked with so many different names, i was pleased when the window shut!

The scouts and Pardew know who is on their list and we can only speculate who is on it!
    I would be more concerned about where we are in the league when the transfer circus begins again.
    Not interested in Transfers just now!

The Dutch no1 keeper is injured again! Chances are that Krul will play for Holland again next weekend! Hope he plays well but does,nt get crocked!

• Klatoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM

If Spurs plan on playing VDVaart at RW again,there wouldnt be a better/easier game to start Santon heck he might even get an assist or two as the Dutchman offers almost nothing down the wing (def or off)

• NUFC 1892

GUTHRIE
    OBERTOON
    BEST

• redondo77

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM

@Klatoon
    I don’t think that will happen, because Redknap saw it emmidiately change it in the 2nd half during the Arsenal game. But.. who knows I hope he made the same mistake again, I hope he try to fit in VDV, Modric and Defoe again.

• NUFC 1892

RALOR
    OBERTOON
    MIAGA
    BEST

• ardenTOON

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:38 AM

Maiga seems like a real cocky bastard..is he that good,anyone?

• LewSpi

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Seems like a bad egg in my opinion. I say Macheda. Would fit right in;
    young,
    has a point to prove,
    knows where the goal is,
    speaks good English but more importantly Italian (Davide Santon), he also obviously already knows Obertan and Danny Simpson,
    he’s surplus to requirements at Man U.

How many more reasons could you want to sign a player??

• bambams

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

It totally bemuses me when i read about possible targets for Newcastle then read Sunderland are also interested.
    Now if it was for genuine reasons that Sunderland feel they could pip us to a very good player that they have “watched for a long time” then all is fair in love and war. But that is not the case, remember “Kilkenny from sheffield utd ” I think Chris Hughton tried for him when we were in the championship but Sunderland bought him ! I had it on very good info it was a PR stunt to win Bruce over to the Mackem fans- i dont think he even played two games!
    Now we see Bruce really struggling- what better way of diverting his problems by offering a “potential mercenary” (Maiga is not really acting as a true profesional by striking) a lot more money to sign for them rather than a team on the rise.
    I hope if we do get him he is the correct type of character/attitude- if he is not then Sunderland can make another mistake!
    Still cant wipe this smile off my face when i look at the league table !!!!

• WesJameson

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:20 AM

@ LewSpi // Oct 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Good shout that mate, but i would rather have Diouf from Manure

• Lil-Geordie

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Just stick to plying football,transfer talk in December yes but not just now!

• cupiddstunt

Oct 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I think it’s about time some fans on here, and football fans in general had a reality check.

Most footballers want to play for the top teams as that is a back handed way of claiming they are a top player, players careers are also short so they have to make hay while the sun shines as it were.

So if Maiga kicks up f@@k at his club because he wants a transfer to what he sees as a bigger club paying better wages then that only makes sense if he has any ambition.

For those of you who think he is only out to use NUFC as a stepping stone to some bigger club get a f***ing grip, is that not exactly what NUFC want to do with him??????????????

They will use a player until that player is perceived to be no longer of any use i.e. not good enough/ young enough then they will sell him and replace him with (hopefully better) another.

Is he mercenary? Of course he is so what

Is he ambitious? He appears so which is good as it means he has something to prove.

As long as he gives 100% while he is here then he is welcome as far as I am concerned.

If he attracts the attention of a bigger club while with us then good as it means he has been doing the business for us.

Bottom line is we are NOT a top club but managed right we could be, until then we will always be a trading club so get used to it.

• bambams

Oct 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I do not disagree (cupiddstunt) with most of your argument, i would be happy if as a result of his performances he was eyed by not “bigger” clubs how about “successful” clubs because like you say it means he is doing the business…. I just dont want another Owen, Domi or Marcelino who only come for the money.
    I myself would have to think long and hard if this is the type of person i would want to spend a lot of money on. In My Opinion, simples

• cupiddstunt

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Bambams

First sorry about the “bigger” club comment the word bigger was meant to be in inverted commas.

I know what you are saying but I think we have a completely different scenario to the like of the Owen debacle, in my mind the parasite was signed as a knee jerk signing to the fans screaming for a big name.

He was at the end of a very high profile career which at its latter end was littered with injuries and he was demanding a stupid money contract, which in itself was not a problem until we find out there are no clauses written into it to cover when he is on the physio’s table.

Maiga I see as someone at the beginning of their career and hungry to climb the ladder, I understand he had not behaved in a good manner over the NUFC deal but IF NUFC did tap him up then I can see why he misbehaved, the boy being offered lots of goodies before his club had been contacted hence his club take the huff and throw a strop and refuse the deal so the boy takes the huff and refuses to play.

He apparently realised his error and is now playing and scoring quite well even though the fans are booing him for wanting to leave.

Funny much like a lot of NUFC fans behaviour over our better players leaving for what they perceive as “better” moves.