“Magnificent” Krul Could Get Holland Start – Stekelenburg Doubtful

There’s no doubt that one player who has been in excellent form and one reason why Newcastle have made such a great start to the season is new number one goalkeeper Tim Krul.

Tim Krul – could be in goal for Holland

Tim is off on International duty and it will be interesting to see if he can start for the Holland side, and become Holland’s new number one goalkeeper.

And news today issued by the Dutch FA, may mean that first choice goalkeper, Maarten Stekelenburg, will not even be in the Holland squad.

“Maarten Stekelenburg headed on Monday for the training camp in Noordwijk, not with the Dutch team.”

“The goalkeeper is undergoing further investigation following the head injury he suffered two weeks ago in the league game for his club Roma against Inter.”

“This will show whether the goalkeeper can be part of the squad.”

Pardew was delighted with Tim Kruls’ display on Saturday at Wolves:

“Tim was the best player by some distance.” “We don’t want that because it means we’re not controlling the game.

“When we need him, and it will happen, he’ll come to the fore.” “He was magnificent.”

“I thought the first save he made in the game, from Jamie O’Hara, was his best. I thought that was in.”

Players who have had recent head injuries are very rarely risked, and we’d be very surprised if Maarten links up with the Dutch squad at all, and there must therefore be a very good chance of  Tim Krul getting another chance in the Holland goal.

But Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm is expected to take Stekelenburg’s place, according to today’s reports, when the Netherlands play Moldova in Rotterdam on Friday and Sweden four days later in Solna.

It would be a surprise, after the way Krul has performed this season for Newcastle, if  Vorm is preferred in goal, but we’ll see.

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Best keeper I’ve seen at SJP, although it’s early days- and I was not really Given’s biggest fan.

If he continues on current form, starts games for the dutch seniors and we don’t make europe he’ll be hard to keep hold of.

• wynsleap

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM

He must be some keeper if he can “Vorm” (sorry!) his way into the Dutch team ahead of Tim.
    Don’t think there’s a keeper anywhere playing better than our big lad at the moment.

• partizanovec

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM

So glad for this lad. Waited and waited patiently for his chance, and grabbed it in some style. Hopefully he gets even better. An I shout: New contract for him, minimum to 2016!!! 😉

• AshtreeKid

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:57 PM

boater, as given is the best keeper I’ve ever seen in a newcastle shirt can you explain what you didnt like about him, just interested?

• GeordieGerman

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Given very rarely attacked the ball. He waited to be attacked from the ball.

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Given looked good on MOTD highlight packages as he always threw in a couple of hollywood saves for the cameras. If you watched him over 90mins he didn’t command his box as well as other toon keepers I have seen. He rarely came for crosses – reputation always came first with him.

I would prefer to see a keeper prepared to attack and get it wrong than stay rooted to his line – then everyone said ‘keeper not to blame – it’s the old newcastle defense again’.. sometimes you have to look beyond the official story to get the real picture.

I always thought Given was very good at making it look like he did nowt wrong – 15 odd central defenders coming and leaving with their reputation in shreds would suggest something else was amiss.

• scottoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Can’t wait for the Spurs match. International breaks just kill me. I have watched Spurs in their matches since the Manchester blow outs, and they always seem to start like a sprinter out of the gate….very fast and very direct. Then as the match wears on they seem to settle into a pace. I think if they stay true to form, we can absorb for the first half hour or so, and then catch them. Wigan was down 2-0 early, then hada man sent off and you would have thought they were going to get stuffed 10-0 but Spuds let them back in 2-1.

• joppadoni

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

the performance against wolves was the best i can recall from a goalkeeper. hope he gets his chance and takes it

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Wow. I really cannot believe what I am reading, so fickle. Given gave us years of amazing service, and is an outstanding goalkeeper I can’t believe that is being questioned…especially by Newcastle supporters. Of course, Krul looks like the real deal and definitely has the potential to do more for United than Given did, but he is no where near to that yet, he’s performing brilliantly for around a year now, start comparing them after 5 years. Never mind the full 12 years Given put in.

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Spurs are lightening down the wings – if we can nullify them there, I think we can edge it in the centre of midfield. Parker/Modric/VDV Vs Tiote/Cabaye/Arfa should be close.

We’ll get chances against them- just hope Best has his shooting boots on, and Obertan/Guti can play killer balls when we do get in behind their midfield.

• scottoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM

On his form this season, Tim should be able to start for any side anywhere. He has been truly unbelievable. Credit to the defenders as well for the number of blocks that they have thrown into the mix.

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM

@scottoon

Very true, Spurs do seem to start that way everytime, it always involves Bale and normally Lennon too. They push the ball to those two guys and watch them sprint at the opposition really, really early on.

I think it is to get the other team nervous and rattled, and then before the opposition settle, someone like Defoe, Adebayor, or Van der Vaart has already scored.

I say we should try to flip the script, how about we get the likes of Hatem Ben Arfa, Marveoux, Gutierrez and Obertan sprinting at Assou-Ekotto and Corluka.

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Barras – it’s not fickle, I used to think exactly the same then as I do now. I know a lot of toon supporters who said the same.. he flattered to deceive, and the official ‘Given saves the terrible defense yet again’ was not to be trusted if you watched the games closely.

As for 12 years service – we made him a multi-millionaire in that time, and I’m not criticising him as a person, just as a player, which we are all entitled to do.

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Well I personally think it is pretty fickle to question his ability as a keeper, after what he done for this club and also how he did “save our terrible defense” time and time again. I think any football fan who thinks he didn’t is delusional.

There aren’t many players at the club who have deserved their wages more than him. Even if they are far higher than what they should be (the same as any other footballer).

• NickeAlvaro

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Given leaves a horrible bitter taste in my mouth after he jumped ship, regardless of the circumstances I can’t even smile to his name ever again.
    He went for money and got what he deserved for me. Sat on the bench the mug.
    Used to adore him but now I can’t stand him.

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:05 PM

Barras – I repeat, ‘fickle’ is when you change your mind easily, I haven’t changed my mind. It might not be your opinion but it’s mine.

I don’t have sentimental affection for him – he twice threw in transfer requests when SBR dared to give Harper a game.

My feeling – and that of many others, including Irish and city supporters – was that for all his glory moments, his defenses always leaked goals and then mysteriously started to improve when he didn’t play.

• toonincheek

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:09 PM

boater

Re Given – “He rarely came for crosses”

Absolutely. I love to see ‘keepers coming out for crosses the way Krul does.
    Naturally this needs defenders to cover the line, and that’s exactly what they are doing.
    No doubt Krul will miss a cross now and again – all part of the learning experience – but that’s the way to go.
    He will only get better.

• Dannyo

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Krul has amazing reflexes, he’s shown that at SCU and in the recent Wolves match. I can’t think of many keepers being able to reach consecutive shots like he’s done in the past.
    He’s got great reflexes, he’s a good reader of the game/ball too, which it’s why he’s so good coming out. I doubt we’ll see him get caught going late after an incoming ball.
    He needs to work a bit on distribution, but all in all, we have a world beater in Krul on our hands.

I feel safe with him in goal.

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Toonincheck – exactly. A good keeper thinks about the team before their own reputation. If you never take a gamble it’s easy to come out smelling of roses.

Krul looks to come whenever he can – and as a 23 year is mobile as hell – he will get it wrong a couple of times and people will slam him for it, but that’s much better than the Given way of hanging back on the line, relying on good reflexes to save the day.

Our defense has looked more solid ever since he left – last few months of relegation free fall aside – coincidence? I think not.

• scottoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Barras – my thoughts exactly, strength against strength. Put the pace in our side and break them down early before they get a chance to swing it out to Lennon or Bale. I would play a 4-5-1 with HBA in as a withdrawn striker, Marveaux and Guti on the wings ( I know this means one of them on the other side of the pitch, but wingers generally switch quite regularly during the course of the game anyway) and Santon in for Raylor. Ober has to come out because he does not do much to win a ball back, and while Raylor scarcely deserves to lose his place, we need speed and mobility against the Spuds. If we can press them high enough centrally via Tiote and Cabaye we could really surprise them by winning that midfield war.

• Dannyo

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM

@scottoon
    Player for player, i dunno, i think we’ll have a rough time against the wings.
    But then again, we’ve been a bogie team for Tottenham in the past. But we played a bit more physical football then, we’re allot more technical now.
    It’s worked for us so far, and if our wingers can help our fullbacks, we should have a shot at taking the win through the middle.

• scottoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:33 PM

As to the Given debate, at 6 ft Shay is not tall enough to come and challenge for crosses. He countered that by excellent positional sense, and extraordinary reflex which made him one of the best shot stoppers around. He is absolutely fearless, and while it may be argued that he stopped alot of shots by being struck by the ball rather than the other way around, I would say that it was his positional sense that resulted in the ball striking him. Bottom line is he is awfully damn good at keeping the ball out the net. Tim seems to have much of the same awareness, but add to that the fact that he is taller and can come and take away crosses and you have the makings of a superstar for years to come.

• scottoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Dannyo – too right, if the fullbacks don’t get the support down low, then it could be troubling. Guti has always shown that commitment, and against Scunthorpe, Marveaux tracked back exceptionally well. I think Marv deserves a shot, especially after Ober looked so out of it against Wolves.

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:38 PM

@boater

Truly grateful for the definition. So you maintained this opinion that Given is a poor keeper for the full 12 years he was at Newcastle? Because if you did, then I can’t imagine what you think about some of our other players that have played for us in the past 15 years.

I really don’t care about the opinion of Irish and city supporters, due to the fact that this discussion between me and you is about Shay Given at Newcastle United. As for our defense “mysteriously improving” when he didn’t play. I’m not to sure about that, as I remember some of the games against Arsenal in particular, which he pulled save after save out of the bag for us. In fact there was one in particular 0-0 at Highbury.

Additionally, the games which Given didn’t play in for us, normally ended up in Steve Harper taking his place, although he is a great guy, you cannot tell me he brought more security to our defense, have you seen some of the distances that man has been lobbed from?

• WWJBD

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Everyone has different opinions about football thats why its such a enjoyable thing to argue about

Must say though Given was class imo a top draw keeper only ousted because of a young English keeper coming through which is a shame

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM

@scottoon

Definitely agree with the team selection:

R.Taylor – out.
    Obertan – out.
    (When you said, place Hatem Ben Arfa behind the a striker, did you mean to replace Best or Ba? if Best then I agree.)
    So Best – out.

Then put:

Santon – in.
    Marveoux – in.
    Hatem Ben Arfa -in.

With a 4-5-1 formation. If we use this team in to attack Walker and Assou-Ekotto properly, we could score quite a few against them. However, if we allow Bale and Lennon to attack either R.Taylor, Simpson or Santon then we could be in a big trouble. This game looks like its going to be exciting.

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM

@scotton & WWJBD

Completely agree with both of your points.

• WWJBD

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I do partially agree with boater on Given though he was never very commanding of his area and often wasent vocal enough with his defence

As for comparisons with Krul they are different types of keeper mainly due to the size difference imo

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

On the same weekend we play spurs, Liverpool play united and villa play city. In other words – as early as it is, and unlikely as our top 4 position is – a win could see us edge away from the chasing pack.

• AshtreeKid

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM

sorry to be boring guys, but I’ve been pretty happy with the team thus far and my only change would be to drop obertan, move raylor to right mid to give extra protection and bring in santon at left back

• Toon Tang

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:57 PM

harry redknaps face melted and started to wilt when louise asked him to ‘watch’

• boater

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Barras – the city and irish perspective is the only way we can stand back and evaluate Given without our toon bias.

Some players need to be seen in the context of results not individual plaudits. Parker is another Jonah – always seems to be applauded, no matter that results tend to drop when he plays.

Given was hardly a Jonah – seeing as we reached CL twice with him in the side. But there was always a doubt about our defense …

countless managers, spending countless money on countless defenders couldn’t fix the problem… then Given leaves – and without spending on superstar new players, in a matter of months we no longer have a panicky defense.. you might think that’s coincidence, not me that’s all.

• AshtreeKid

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I never remember massive signings during the bobby robson era in defense apart from woodgate and when he and given were in the team together we did look secure???? If you mean ruined reputations like bramble then I think you have to look at them players rather than the outstanding shot stopping goalkeeper we had, who was short and sometimes struggled with crosses. Surely a Irish and City perspective is as equally biased as ours?

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I agree with your initial assessment of the two, Boater.

At just 23, Krul has far more presence, aerial ability, command of his box, than Given as ever had. His reflexes are fantastic, as are/were Given’s.

Shay is probably the most agile keeper I’ve ever seen, which naturally means his shot stopping is exceptional; Tim’s is still very good and will only get better.

• Barras

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

@boater

Well I think that both of our opinions are founded on fair ground. I don’t think were showing a bias, mainly because were comparing Given with other toon keepers instead of goalkeepers from other clubs.

I see what you mean here, but you cannot simply ignore that we had players like Titus Bramble in our defense during this time. Whilst you have contradicted yourself, as we did reach the Champions League twice with Shay Given, so if we were gaining good results then has to have an influence on how we judge him as a keeper.

If you are referring to how we have improved defensively, then all you have to do is compare Coloccini with Bramble, and S.Taylor with O’Brien. Whilst we have replaced Given with a very, very good keeper in Krul. If you are referring to City then they have spent money on new superstar players. But don’t pay attention to my City point as we are just discussing Given at Newcastle, and Krul at Newcastle.

• AshtreeKid

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

dont get me wrong I think Krul has the potential to be better than given.

• scottoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM

The Best v Ba debate is a good one. On current form, you would want to go with Ba. Best has better hold up play, and is arguably better on the turn, but Ba seems to have more of the poacher about him. In terms of how he would work with HBA and an attacking 4-5-1 set up I think I would give Ba the shout

• davybtoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM

strong reserve team outing tonight marveux, gosling, guthrie, harper, perch n lovenkrands all to play, also glad to see jj hooper his getting the chance to step up been brilliant since he signed from all match reports ive read

• davybtoon

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

ashtree – no way id drop obertan v spurs hes probably the one play who can out pace gareth bale n he could b vital to us shutting bale out the game
    as for lennon dont think we need to worry about him as hes injured he played last few games

• Dannyo

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:35 PM

@davybtoon
    Remie Streete too, the lads only 16 (!!!) I think JJ is aswell, but i think he’s having an easier time just due to his size.