Italian Youngster Davide Santon Happy At Newcastle

Newcastle United full-back Davide Santon will lead out the Italian U21 side tomorrow night in a Euro 13 qualifying game against group leaders Turkey, at the Centro d’Italia, in Rieti, Italy.

Davide Santon – in action for Newcastle Reserves

We knew when Newcastle were trailing the 20 year old dull back of Inter Milan in the summer that Italian club Roma were also interested in signing the player.

But it looks like a lot of the signings the Magpies made in the summer, Davide was another player only too keen to come to Newcastle.

Davide talked to Ansa today about nearly signing for Roma:

“There was a moment when I was very close to Roma, but nothing happened, and in the end I chose to move to England,”

“I did not have talks with anyone, but I know Roma sporting director Walter Sabatini wanted me. But, the deal was not concluded and so I went to Newcastle. I am happy there.”

Santon has yet to make his Premier League debut for Newcastle, but has had some injury worries with his right knee since joining the club to some fanfare on 30th August.

His knee now seems to be okay, and Davide has played twice for the strong Newcastle Reserves side, and has looked good in both the games at left full back.

The 20-year-old signed on at Newcastle for an undisclosed fee, which is thought to be in  the regions of £5.3M, and since he arrived makeshift left back Ryan Taylor has kept his position in the Newcastle side.

Ryan is  likely to keep his place and keep Davide on the bench,  when Tottanham Hotsopur come a calling on Sunday afternoon at St. James’ Park.

Davide Santon is already an accomplished player, and has played 7 times for the full Italian side and 14 times for the Italian U21 side, and the 6’2″ youngster can play in either full back position and also on either wing.

• GeordieToon89

Oct 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM

any news on Cabaye?

• Stuart

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM

As well as Raylor has done, Santon is twice the player he is so should be playing!

Not sure on Cabaye, last I heard he was a doubt for tomorrows game, the fact that hes definately not ruled out gives me hope lol.

• Ameobi No.9

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Cabaye is looking to return for his country on Tuesday, so hopefully it is not as bad as we think. Might be wise for France to leave him out if he is not 100% fit for the match, otherwise we will have to sent Shola Ameobi down there to slap them across the head a few times.

Apparently Demmmba-baba-baba-ba-baaa has knackered his knee and has not featured yet for Senegal. Hopefully he will be fit enough for spurs, because if we start with Best and Strolla, I fear it will be endless ‘long ball over the top’ and we will play ourselves into a defeat.

• Ameobi No.9

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Send*

• Stuart

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

If Ba is injured for the spurs game I would hope AP plays HBA rather than Ameobi like.

Hell, I’d hope he’d play big Derek Wright, the physio, before he plays shola haha!

• Ameobi No.9

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM

@Stuart

I agree, as well as Raylor has done, I feel we need to change things up a little bit, Santon for R.Taylor, Marveaux for Obertan (who has yet to convince me of his so called ‘pace’) and Ben Arfa for Ba if he is not fit.

• Stuart

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Haha Ameobi, of all the things Obertan is yet to convince on, his pace isnt one of them like, the amount of times ive seen him pick the ball up on the right, run it all the way across to the left and players for dead is ridiculous. Only problem is he does nothing with it when he gets there lol.

I agree with all your changes like but I do like Obertan still, I reckon he’ll come good eventually, only 22 or something afterall.

• toonloon

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Ed, I’m sure Davide is an exciting and fascinating for us…and not a dull back as you describe him in paragraph 2.

• toonloon

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM

exciting and fascinating player that is

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:25 AM

What a stupid move by the club to hand Strola Ameobi a new contract. Here we are all now worried sh*tless if he will play. Everyone with half a brain know he sucks so why in the hell keep him??? He’s more of a liability than Bramble ever was.

HBA HAS to play ahead of him or else it proves Strola is the world’s biggest kiss ass for being picked again.

• Ameobi No.9

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM

@ Stuart

I suppose I am being a little harsh on him, but, Obertan reminds me of Routledge (who I like as a player) Runs a lot with the ball, could beat the same man 5 times if he wanted to, but cannot do much with it when he gets near the box.
    It just frustrates me thinking about how much stick Routledge was getting from us for doing his best, then Obertan gets praise for complaining when a pass is not inch perfect (which did a lot of in his first few games for us) and not really trying much when he is on the pitch.

• Stuart

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I wouldnt agree with that like. The first thing I remember Obertan doing at the beginning of the season was chase down a ridiculously overhit pass, covering 100m in 2 secs flat lol.

I also think he offers Simpson a canny bit of cover, at least more than Barton did.

You’re right however, he has the same problem as Jonas usually has, no real threat from the final ball.

From what I’ve seen from Marv, he can drop a cross on a 5p piece if he wanted to so I want to see him get more game time.

• Ameobi No.9

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM

@ JP…from the Rock

I cringe a lot seeing Shola on the team sheet, never mind the starting 11. But there is no need what so ever comparing him to Tightarse Shambles, and saying that Shola is worse..

I agree that giving him another contract was not the best of moves, but there has to be a reason for it. I cannot see us giving him a longer contract just because he is a canny lad in the dressing room.

• Ameobi No.9

Oct 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM

@ Stuart

I am not doubting Obertan’s ability, its just that he looks so lazy for 60% of the match. As much as I cannot stand Ferguson, it looks like he had something going when he was playing Obertan for the last 30 mins of the match.

• weg

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Davide has to start against Spurs! R.Taylor has done a sterling job so far out of position but Spurs are a step up from what we have played against so far this season and they could be too much for him down that side of the pitch.
    If Ba is out, that is a big blow for us. He is hitting form and Best is drying up a bit. If Pardew doesn’t play HBA behind Best, then I’d rather have Sammi come in than Strolla or Lovenkrands.

• jayphoto

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Think Ben Arfa will play against spurs regardless of Ba being fit or not! They play open expansive football and have big, slow centrebacks who dominate in the air but don’t particularly enjoy clever players! Just look how they dominated Andy Carroll but couldn’t handle Nani and Rooney etc The game is made for Ben Arfas return! I’d prefer Ba upfront with him mind, but think Best’s movement off the ball would suit a clever playmaker like benny!

• stephen1971

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM

i,d love to see santon get a shot against spuds, also like a lot of you think , play hba aswell in a 5 midfield working close to cabaye and behid ba or best

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 11, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Pardew has to make a big decision for Sunday!

I would consider actually resting Cabaye coz after his stint with France the risk that one of the Spuds players target his ankle is too big a risk to take! Would be a better idea to rest him for one match! His injury then will have a chance to recover!!!

There are a few players who are due to make their debuts, Santon is one! Marvaux and Gosling too! Furthermore it is time that HBA started!

Of course for Pards is there an even bigger risk that if we lose then all the village doom merchants on here will be screaming relegation contest and blaming him for our bad play etc,etc,etc!! Yawn!Yawn!
    This is something that happens everytime, we lose a game over thelast few years!
    It won,t be easy for Pardew to make this decision but so far this term he aint put a foot wrong so i trust him!

I would be happy with a point on Sunday!