Demba Ba Knee Injury Causing Newcastle Concern

Demba Ba was not involved for Senegal in their 2-0 win over Mauritius on Sunday to finish top of their African Cup of Nations Qualifying Group.

Demba Ba – Senegal striker has injured knee

The Senegal FA have reported Demba Ba had a knee injury and had missed the two previous training sessions, and therefore Alan Pardew will now be sweating it out to see if his striker is fit for Sunday’s tough game against Tottenham at home.

Of course we all know that last January Ba failed a medical at Stoke City, because of a knee problem, although he subsequently passed his medical at both West Ham and Newcastle.

However, nobody is saying whether his latest knee injury is related to his previous problem, and we have to hope it isn’t, but if there’s any injury doubt about Ba for Sunday, Alan Pardew will not risk him and Peter Lovenkrands would likely get the start alongside Leon Best.

The 26-year-old is on his way back to Newcastle, and the Newcastle medical team will do their own prognosis once he arrives back.

Of course Newcastle will be without both Demba Ba and Cheick Tiote in January as the African Cup of Nations will run in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea from January 21st  to February 12th.

However there is a rule that the players are allowed to meet up with their squads a week before the competition begins so both players will leave Newcastle around the middle of January.

Both players could be away almost the whole tournament with the Ivory Coast and Senegal both having good sides and likely to advance far in the proceedings .

Alan Pardew is also sweating on French International Yohan Cabaye,  as he injured his ankle in France’s 3-0 win last Thursday against Albania, and France play their last qualifying game tonight at home to second placed Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Whether Yohan will play tonight is still not known.

But with Demba Ba we have to hope for two things, the injury to his knee is not the exact same injury from the past, and that it’s  not too bad an injury, and hopefully he can still play on Sunday.

• fungus44

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:06 AM

when this is confirmed on the official site then i will believe it at the moment it,s here say

• G

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Lets just hope whatever it is, it isn’t too serious. He’s only recently re-discovered his shooting boots, and he certainly looks the part when he plays.

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:24 AM

you see this could all bite us in the ass, the inability to purchase the striker and all….not being negative but its the truth starring us in the face.

I think Its important for us come JAN to get the extra “no 9” .

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:25 AM

hmmmmm who will be up front come Spuds? Best Loven? or Sammy Best?

• spitfire_

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:28 AM

4-5-1 with Benny behind Besty.

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Arfa? I suppose….not a real attacking formation I am afraid for a home game….

• wynsleap

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM

spitfire_ – will go with that.
    gorgonzola @ 4 – as long it’s not Shola Best!!

• ginkoh

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Loven replace ? Come on Ed, it will be Ben Arfa time !

• Toon Tang

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM

• wynsleap

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Gorgonzola – @ 3
    I have to agree with you – it’s all well and good buying at low cost these top players with injury problems but they should be supplemented by the purchase of another top injury free performer in their position.
    That way when the inevitable happens (and it will) we’ll have the extra body to slot in.

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM

WHAT RE THEY AUCTIONING?@?@?@?@?@?@?@?@?@@?

• GeordieGerman

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Toon Tang, if that money doesn’t go to a charity I’ll be well peed off with Ashley.

• GeordieGerman

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM

100% of the final sale price will support Newcastle United Foundation.

Suppose that’s ok then.

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM

wynsleap

I know mate…I was just thinking, I think we have made a bigger mess up of transfer window than we initially though. Times like these having a solid el classico striker is key ….

I am not saying it will happen ut got mt thinking players like Henry ( whome I bought and brought to the club in Fifa 12 :D)
    Are the game if not season changers you have a tight game and then bang out of nowhere goal….that was a certain TINO and ROBERT and GINOLAS trait, we need those TOP CLASSS type of players or PLAYER in our case to turn the time of a mid table to an upper table team to win those key battles such as Spuds etc….

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Geordie German ow ok….feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww

• gorgonzola

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Also Lads,

Been wathing some youtube vids entire weekend of nufc. Ones that delighted me the most was Sir bobby robson ones and the infamous barca game, I am very nostalgic by nature so times like those almoust hurt me if you know what I mean.

And man o man I miss the likes of SOLANO, what a player he was they should erect a statue for him near SJP together with Shearers…. Also I am in pure disbelief we sold players like Ginola, and Bellamy must say he could have been a legend. I like him pacy no nonsense….you know….

I sort of miss a player I can fall in love with in a way a legend player I hope that will be a Ben Arfa soon and a Cabaye and Santon….

• Toon Tang

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:52 AM

@GeordieGerman – I was thinking the same when i first saw it, but if its for a good cause and not just for ashley financial gain (not that it would scratch the surface of his fortune) its not so bad.

Wouldn’t mind one in my garden but my finances say otherwise; and then there’s the trouble of collecting it haha.

• AMEOBI

Oct 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Rigfht lads, if anyone knows anywhere I can get chipmunks? As in a few pet ones, where abouts been looking for ages but can’t find any! How much are they each? Got my first wage 😀

• Stuart

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM

If Ba is injured then we just switch to 4-5-1 with Benny behind Best.

The game against spurs will be won by whoever controls midfield. If we’ve got tiote and cabaye clearing up and the wingers and HBA creating chances we’ll be golden.

• Eyeball81

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Ive said it all along….with the so called injury prone players we have signed…If the gamble pays off ashley will have pulled off a good bit of business and after his four goals in two games it certainly looked like the gamble was paying off…Yes I may be sitting on the fence but Im not going to say whether i think its a good thing or a bad thing….but deep down we all knew that sooner or later there was a risk of any of these players…Gosling Ba and Marveux getting injured…lets just wait till its official and cross that bridge when we come to it!!!

• Stuart

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:31 AM

1 unconfirmed injury to 1 player doesnt make all our new signings injury prone.

• wynsleap

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:45 AM

No it doesn’t Stuart but put a player with a suspected injury problem into a jinxed Newcastle United shirt and only a cock eyed optimist wouldn’t fear the worst.
    Let’s face it – over the years injuries have been our forte – it’s what we’re known for.

• Eyeball81

Oct 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I didnt say that stuart….Earlier in the summer everyone was going on about us signing SO-CALLED injury prone players…I.e Marveux (not played since Oct/Nov 2010) Sum may class him as Injury prone in that instance….Again I re-iterate the SO-CALLED..I did not say I thought they were injury prone