The league that Newcastle play in, and are currently 4th from the top in, is the most popular sports league in the world.
The report on the Premier League was commissioned by the Sport+Markt group in Germany, and the report has revealed some profound statistics about the English Premier League.
The report shows the following results that we have collected:
- TV coverage of the Premier League reached 643M homes last season — a rise of 11% over the previous season
- 70% of all football fans worldwide now watch the English game
- The overall TV audience in homes is now 3.9B
- The number that watch the games in pubs and bars is 777M
- The biggest market for the English game is in the Asia and Oceania region with 1.3B viewers
- 64% of all Chinese fans now support a Premier League club
- 50% if viewers in the USA have a favourite English team
- The Premier League accounted for 185,000 hours of global TV coverage last season
- In the UK, 629M viewers watched live or highlighted coverage of games last season
- In the rest of Europe, 761M watched the games
- Newcastle United are the most popular side in the Premier League
OK – so I made the last one up 😀
Andrew Walsh is the Sports and Marketing head of International Affairs at the Sport+Markt group, and he had this to say about the results:
“The explanation for these remarkable figures lies largely in the redistribution of international rights for the start of the new three-year broadcast term last year.”
“One main driver of the rise was the switch of the League’s broadcast rights in China from pay TV over to terrestrial coverage.”
“That has burst open the floodgates in terms of the Premier League’s popularity in the world’s biggest and fastest-growing market.”
A Premier League spokesman also commented on the results:
“Our international fan base and success is helping develop English football at all levels, something we should all be pleased about.”
“Whether they are at the ground in person or watching all around the world on TV, fans know what they will get from a Premier League game.”
They’ll see some of the world’s best talent in thrilling matches played at packed stadiums.”
Of course there is also news today that Liverpool’s Managing Director, Ian Ayre, has said the Merseyside club is interested in negotiating their own overseas television rights deal, and moving away from the existing Premier League agreement that is in place.
It seems that Liverpool are unhappy at having to share the income equally among the other 19 PL clubs, some of which are small, and Bolton Wanderers is is one that Ayre has referenced. He says viewers tune in to see the big clubs like Liverpool but not clubs like Bolton.
Liverpool want to keep pace with the two Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid who already sell their own overseas TV rights.
That’s a dangerous move, because it simply means the rich clubs in England will get richer, and down the road there will only be a few clubs who will completely dominate English football, and it’s almost like that now.
If that happens the English Premier League will be in danger of becoming like the Spanish League, where Barcelona and Real Madrid completely dominate the league, and there’s little real competition that exists in La Liga.
As an example of that, Barcelona won the league with 96 points last season, followed by Real Madrid on 92, Valencia on 71 and Villareal on 62 points, with Sevilla in 5th place on 58 points.
What do you think?