Pardew Said It Would Be A Watershed Game – He Was Right

Alan Pardew said before the game against Tottenham on Saturday that it would be a watershed game, and he was right.

Shola Ameobi – scored Newcastle equalizer after 86 minutes

Newcastle came back twice to retain their unbeaten record this season, and remain in 4th place in the league.

And Newcastle fans saw the debut of 20 year-old Italian full back Davide Santon, who came on for right back Danny Simpson, and what he did he did well, and this boy looks a good player.

And Shola Ameobi came on as a sub too, as Best and Ba were replaced by Demba Ba in a brave attacking move by Alan Pardew after 71 minutes, shortly after Newcastle had gone 2-1 down through an excellent strike from Defoe.

And Shola obliged with a wonderful equalizer after 86 minutes,  and his first goal of the campaign, and the local lad was very modest after the game, when he was interviewed by nufcTV.

Fans also saw Ben Arfa play well,  and it could be he’ll get a start next Saturday at home to Wigan, which is a game Newcastle can win, but they cannot be over-confident.

Santon, Newcastle’s  summer signing from Inter Milan had to wait over six weeks for his debut, after having trouble with his knee shortly after he arrived.

Davide came off the bench for the last 13 minutes of the game today, and the defender had this to say to nufcTV after the game:

“I’ve been waiting, and it is really good to finally get on the pitch.” “It was frustrating having my knee problems so early after I joined the club, but everyone here was so helpful and supportive.”

“They helped me recover, and even today the rest of the players were there to help.” “Now I just want to do my best, get more games and try to help Newcastle continue our fantastic start to the season.”

“They are fantastic fans,”  “They cheered when I came on so they are fantastic! They helped us a lot today and the noise they made was very important in helping us get the draw.”

“At the beginning there was a lot of pressure, but Shola came on for us to score the equaliser and 2-2 is a really good result.”

Newcastle went behind for only the second time this season in the league juts before half time, and in fact they went behind again in the second half, but both times they came storming back, and they showed today they can live with the big boys in the league, at least at home.

Next up is Wigan at home next Saturday afternoon, and while it’s a game Newcastle can and probably should win, we should take  absolutely nothing for granted.

• DJM TOON

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM

and lets not forget, with villa losing, we are the only team in the english football leagues to remain unbeaten

• DJM TOON

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM

and that might go on for another couple of games too

HWTL

• yorkshireToon

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM

except for the manchester clubs…

• Geordie-Jake

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:43 PM

I’m not looking forward to Stoke away after this Wigan game :S

• Mike Ashleys Lovechild

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Random message here but did anyone watch the match via sky hear the few star wars references by the commentator ,i heard force is strong with this team and something about the dark side refering to colo’s defending ???

• DJM TOON

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:52 PM

HAHAH, where did i get that from… it probably has something to do with the stupid amount of alcohol running through my veins

a good sign to go to bed me thinks!

• tdt

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Great result today, spurs are a good team and we could of nicked a win in the end. Well done lads!

If we play in the same way against wigan like we did today, we should crush them. I bet not many teams get 56% posession against spurs (I cant be bothered to look up the stats, but I bet only maybe man u and chelsea would get that much play against them). That bodes really well for the future because we are playing classy football.

If there weren’t a couple of sloppy moments today like when cabaye and HBA gave the ball away in dangerous positions, we would have looked far more solid.

I cant decide if I want the likes of HBA, Marveaux and Santon to start aginst wigan, solely because the current line-up have earned thier places (generally speaking). OK obertan didnt have a great day today, but he wasnt totally crap. The defence is playing like a solid unit too. And finally the strikers, well we’re doing their jobs too!

So either of these two line-ups would please me for the wigan game next week:

—————-Krul—————-
    Simpson–S.Taylor–Collo–R.Taylor
    Obertan—Tiote—Cabaye—Jonas
    ———–Best—–Ba————-

Subs: Elliot, Santon, Gosling, Marveaux, HBA, Lovenkrands, Shola Ameobi

or

—————-Krul—————-
    Simpson–S.Taylor–Collo–Santon
    —————-Tiote—————
    Marveaux———————Jonas
    ———-Cabaye—-HBA———
    —————–Ba—————-

Subs: Elliot, R.Taylor, Gosling, Obertan, Sammy Ameobi, Shola Ameobi, Best.

• BigAl9

Oct 17, 2011 at 12:36 AM

I`m sooo pleased for Shola, stunning finish. I`m not saying he`s our No.9 but he`s one of our four strikers(and has been for 11 years) . The rest of the players love him, his brother looks up to him. I just want everyone to have a bit of humanity and lay of the bloke! Knees Bent Arm`s Stretched RA RA RA

• Brutooon

Oct 17, 2011 at 1:41 AM

1) Shola Ameobi played well last night, but he will play shit+lazy the next 30 games. (remember he average one good performance every 30 games)

2) Good time to dropped Simpson? Raylor at Right Back and Santon left back

3) HBA to start, Obertan to the bench

• kenzie

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:35 AM

This team looks pretty strong in most positions but Obertan really worries me, and why Pardew repeatedly plays him is baffling. Well done today lads.

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Team for Wigan:

________________Krul________________
    Santon_____Saylor_____Colo_____Raylor
    HBA____Cabaye_____Tiote_____Jonas
    ____________Best_____Ba

Goal glut.

• PapaToon

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Great games by the lads.
    For the ppl who made and continue to make fantasy formations for the starting eleven. Ben Arfa and David Santon did not start! Ben Arga will again not start next game. Ppl just want him there bcuz of his goal against everton. Hes no way near match fit or sharp enough. gave away the ball couple of times and held on to it for too long as well. Atm hes trying to do too much.
    Raylor had a very good game, kept Bale quiet (And who says Bale doesn’t play on both wings :)). Marveux may have a chance of playing instead of obertan and Santon will get more game time. He looked very good, very willing to go forward.

• Milking Mikes' bulging pockets

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:34 AM

He’s trying to do too much, because he’s having to shine with limited time. The only way he can become ‘sharp’ (bollocks), is by playing from the start.

Hardly a fantasy. A very feasible possibility.

• Newfrancernal United

Oct 17, 2011 at 3:45 AM

• Widowmaker

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Couldn’t watch the game as ESPN somehow did not broadcast it for some reasons. Pissed off.

But from your comments, I think we are only 3-4 signings away for challenging the 6th spot this season. Don’t get me wrong, it would still be difficult even with 3-4 extra signings, but at least this is the first time in years that we can see things this way.

Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool are the predicted top six teams before the season started and maybe we can overtake one of them if we keep playing with the dertermination the players are showing?

Having said that, do I expect the board to sign 3-4 top players (regardless of their price) in January? No, I don’t giving their history but I refuse to give up. 😀

• Souperstar_IndianGeordie

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:17 AM

AP should defo put Marveaux for Obertan in the next game..Shola sub for last 20 mins again!

• ganiyu

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Football manager doesnt lie…ben arfa is a selfish player who stucks his team mate under pressure.
    What he was trying to do was un necessary especially when you are a goal down.

• shamsoftabriz

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM

Just watched this on delay in the states. What a game! These lads look like a team not satisfied with a “temporary” place in the top quarter of the table. Whatever happens, the spirit they’re showing this season is remarkable. A few thoughts: HBA is pure electricity. He is probably one of our 3-4 best players; but I like the idea of bringing him on at 60 minutes to run, keep possession, and menace the opposing defense. That way, he has half an hour to just go all out. Very proud of the team’s display earlier this afternoon (well, yesterday afternoon as I write this). They are unafraid of anyone. If we can get a creative, talented striker to replace Best in January, there’s no telling what we might be able to accomplish. Best is adequate, but he simply doesn’t have the skill and finesse that we would like to see. If we can can corral a small, speedy, gifted striker who can accelerate and create his OWN shot, that wold be wonderful.

All around, though, a great statement that we’re a team to be taken seriously and no mere flash in the pan.

• Klatoon

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:50 AM

HBA isnt yet sharp enough to start against Wigan,but maybe Santon will get a start. Expected him to go to LB with Raylor moving to the right but Pardew was very clever as he saw the need to put the quicker Santon on Bale. Was delighted by that one moment when Bale tried to sprint away only to get caught easily by both Santon and Obertan.

• bambams

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Head on the block here….I am absolutely over the moon with preserving our unbeaten run here- Spurs are a very good team and we could/should have won it in the end.
    I might be missing something but I still do not see Cabaye as this unbelievable player, I have seen him four times (yes this is not a lot and fans will have seen him more than me) this season and i am still unsure he is THAT good.
    I dont want to be shot down , i just want to be reassured he is that good from fellow bloggers who have obviously seen him more than me.
    HBA needs some starts as i also have not seen enough from him but he does look as though he has that “edge” about him.
    I thought Colo was unbelievable yesterday and Chiek covered every blade of grass- but the man who impressed me so much was Pardieu ! This man is growing on me and it was great to see him urging the team to score after we equalised, some managers would have shouted to go into the corners to run the clock down.
    Please boys i am not having a go at Cab…Just need that heads up that he is that good…..
    Well done Shola, took that goal superbly !

• vuckic

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM

i thnk obertan should stay in the line up his skil pace and trickery r just awesome.his game is developing.ben arfa should replace best.and i thnk santon is our best full back raylor and simmo cant match up with him.HWTL

• FoxtrotOscar

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM

“Papa Toon”
    I agree 100% with your comments about HBA.
    Maybe he is trying too hard to please.

• BigKirky

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Im really looking forward to seeing more of Santon. Oozes class and his quality going forward as well as defending will be a great bonus.

• magpie6699

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I think people are a bit harsh on Benny. Yes i was unhappy at him being caught in possession 2 or 3 times but he also did some good things, including the slipped pass through for Shola’s goal. He WAS trying too hard – understandable – and I suspect he will always be wanting to take the opposition on. But I’d rather have someone like him who can change the game in a flash – and entertain me in doing so – than have a team full of journeyman plodders.
    Still on the bench for me – like wise Shola although Besty wasn’t great yesterday.
    To reiterate my earlier comments: Colo is brilliant, Jonas is under-appreciated, Obertan is disappointing but the potential is there so hope he continues to get time on the field although wouldn’t be sorry to Marv start in his place, Raylor did very well, Bale was kept relatively quiet on both sides – and Modric is a tit!

• Stuart

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Although we’re still unbeaten and apparently AP’s view is if it aint broke dont fix it, I really think we should give the team a shake up for Wigan.

Drop either Simpson or Raylor for Santon, drop Obertan for Marv and drop Best for HBA.

I think Obertan and Best have been doing well so far this season but you should always want to be fielding your best players and I believe they would need to be dropped to do so.

• stuart no9

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM

bambams, the best thing to do on this blog is to speak your mind.if something is not sitting right in your head , speak out. i have seem much better players than cabaye at the toon. Just like you i am waiting for this guy to make me go “WOW” it hasnt happened yet

• STB

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Without wanting to be too critical as all the players are really giving 100% at the moment, you have to admit that there are a couple of players who just don’t look like they’ll ever be good enough in a top 8 side.
    Besty is a great blok, trier and has an eye for goal but the basic ball control is lacking. Simmo is a very average RB. Not a bad one but he clearly stuggles when in possession to make a decent pass. Pardew I think realises that these 2 are stop gaps. They have not tied down Simpson to a new deal (QPR in Jan I think) and may go back for Pieters (or Sissokho) in January and then play Santon RB. Rtaylor will be a reasonable back up.
    Ba is good enough to play target man with HBA off him.
    For Wigan & Cup, I’d be tempted to play Marveaux on the right instead of Obertan. Obertan was a good choice for yesterday as his speed helped contain Bale. He was poor going forward though.
    So for me Rtalor RB, Santon LB, Marveaux Jonas on the wings and HBA plying off Ba. The rest of the team picks itself.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Yep agreed stuart obertan needs dropped it would give him the kick up the arse he needs i would swap santon for simmo the reason raylor can play RB & LB which means if we come up againts a fast winger santon can swap sides when he does and force them back with his forward runs and raylors delivery is the best at the club and if gets in positions simmo does you can expect a cross to go straight in! i would leave best and ba up top theve got a good understanding and we are getting goals best is due a goal! marv for obertan, santon for simmo

• stuart no9

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:53 AM

widowmaker@15
    the reasons ESPN didnt broadcast the game is because it was on sky

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM

@27 hahaha he must be livid sitting with espn on waiting for the toon to come on

• NorseToonBrann

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Absolutely loving this! Jonas, what a great player he has become. Thrilling. Santon looks absolutely mint. His physique is a bit bale-ish i think. Might become a toon favorite soon. Ben arfa should be stepping in for obertan soon enough, with oba becoming a class act impact sub. Raylor impressed me as well. And what about marveux? Haha, the optimism<3 hwtl

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Marv has to play on the wing with jonas on the other they are both direct players and are not scared to run at people and they can both deliver a good cross

• vuckic

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:08 AM

ben arfa should start along obertan and jonas ths trio could prove decisive.jonas mazzy runs ben arfas vision and trickery with obertans pace.ths team could b in seventh heaven

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Obertan doesnt seem to want to use his pace running at people where as marv will like jonas does

• Stuart

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM

I think the problem with Obertan is once hes got the ball and absolutely pegged it down the wing, he freezes up and cant decide what to do next. Those cruticial seconds let the defense catch up then he wastes the ball like.

Once he gets the ball he needs to be quick, either run it to the line and cross it or cut inside and shoot, either way it has to be done quickly.

• cyprus

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM

a) Why do so many here plough into Simpson? How many goals have we conceded from that side? If Simpson had been as clumsy as ‘wor Taylor’ (more than twice this year), he’d be crucified! Yet everyone talks about his immense performances… btw, Taylor has been making similar mistakes THROUGHOUT his career, notably in our relegation year, so he must iron those out. He can’t remain a raw talent for ever. He must, and definitely can, step it up.
    b) Every fan from other teams points to our ‘biggest threat’, Jonas. Yesterday got SMS from Spurs fan ‘told you so’, when his incredible assist basically gave Ba the goal. Why is he underappreciated here? It baffles me.
    C) Confession: I’m one of the Shola critiques. When he came on I groaned: 10 players! He frustrates me more than any other player. People like Butt, Smith could piss you off, but they are average players, so maybe they were forgiven. My suggestion: Have him as an impact sub, maybe he conserves strength to last the full game if he is given 90′; maybe he is worried about those persistent injuries..

• toonfan76

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Those of you who are unsure about Cabaye, trust me this guy can play, His distribution and vision is of the highest quality, In some games you may think he is not playing very well because he’s not playing that killer pass or taking an amazing shot at goal. What goes un-noticed is that his decision making is really good, It’s the little things or the simple things he does really well also. This is what keeps us moving in the right direction and I can see Tiote being an even better player this season because of his partnership with Yohan.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Yep he always seems to just turn around and pass it back he has the ability to gain that half a yard on any defender and whip a ball in he needs to be more direct so put marv in give obertan that kick up the arse then bting him on for the last 20-30 and get him to run at them and put balls in that is what we want to see

• SwedishMagpie

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

marveaux in best out
    santon in raylor out

—————krul
    simpson colo taylor santon
    ———-cabaye tiote
    ——obetan marv jonas
    —————-ba

• geordieupontyne

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM

really wished we had won.and only for this reason.there are a lot of wankers around that keep saying we haven’t played the big teams yet.well we have.they all say Arsenal was a weak team.well their bad form happened not before but after we played them.had it been since last season fine,but they started the season as one of the title contenders.besides its the premier league.the best 20 in the country play here.and about the shit that we played against teams below us…???..what does that mean???the reason we defeated (or drew against) them is why they are below us.Man Utd doesn’t win titles by being lower than other teams.we are a top 4 team.DEAL WITH IT….HOWAY THE LADS..