Newcastle Improvement A Fantastic Achievement

Newcastle United put in a superb display of guts and glory yesterday afternoon,  and came from behind twice to keep their unbeaten record and keep their 4th place in the league table.

Alan Pardew applauds the great Newcastle fans after the game yesterday

As it turns out if Newcastle had lost by one goal yesterday, they would have still been in 4th place ahead of Sours on goal difference, but now they remain 2 points ahead of Liverpool and 3 points ahead of Spurs but 3 points behind Chelsea in 3rd place.

So we’re starting to lose touch with 3rd position Chelsea which must be worrying.

I’m only kidding. 😀

It’s not surprising Alan Pardew was so upbeat after the game yesterday, and he was rightly proud of his side after the game.

And Alan did his bit from the touchline too, encouraging his players, and making attacking substitutions when Newcastle went behind for the second time, in that pulsating second half.

More performances like this and we hope to see St. James’ Park packed full with over 52,000 fans at the ground.

Alan Pardew also thinks Newcastle have closed the gap on the top teams in the league, and he’s probably right:

“Standing on the sidelines, there wasn’t a lot in it. That’s a good sign,” “There were times last season when I stood on the sidelines and there looked to be a big distance between us and the top sides. We’ve closed that gap.”

“Whether we can sustain it, we need our key players to keep fit, but we’ve got others who can make an impact.” “As I stand here today still unbeaten, you’ve got to say it’s a fantastic achievement by the players and the staff.”

“And I’m proud of the players and the staff because this has taken a lot of hard of work. And from the owners too,” “They’ve taken a lot of criticism at this club and sometimes things take time.”

“We haven’t looked at targets beyond the short-term,” “If we win at Wigan we’ll have 19 points and that’ll be almost halfway towards safety, which is some achievement. Once you clear those barriers you can start to look at other things.”

Pardew still has safety in the league as the number one priority and then as stated in the Newcastle United Mission Statement released by the club yesterday, a top ten finish is the goal this year.

It was very good to see the club release the mission statement because once the fans know what the club is trying to do, and what the constraints are, they should be more understanding.

This last financial year – presumably though June 30th this year when the club was back in the Premier League – should see a slight loss of just over £4M, and the next financial year the club should see the club break even and likely make a profit.

That compares with the club losing £30M plus over the previous two season – so that’s good news on the financial front.

But a good question is when the club is making a profit, will that profit be reinvested back into the club, so that it is run as non-profit business in effect?

That would be a good way to run it, although the club still needs to repay Mike Ashley for the loans he has made over the last four years.

But there’s no doubt now that Newcastle are a very decent side this season, and they should do well, although just how well remains the big question.

And to close I’ve got to be honest and open, and say I was so proud of our lads at the end of yesterday’s game  –  they were simply fantastic.

• toonfan76

Oct 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM

All I will say is that I thought we were the better side and if Spurs are one of the teams challenging for a top four finish, then I can’t see why we can’t be part of those teams challenging.

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM

We have improved and confidence is high. On Sunday we matched Spurs player for player – the only criticism is that final cutting pass or moment of magic. Ben Arfa will supply that when fully up to speed. I read somewhere people saying we want him in only because of his goal against Everton- I suggest you look on you tube and see what he done in France. Marveaux will shine when he cements his place in the side. I am over the moon at the way things are going at the moment and really look forward to Novembers fixtures.
    Keep the Faith

• toonfan76

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM

In fairness I think the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea are gonna hold the first three places, So that leaves Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and now us fighting for that fourth spot, you could throw Villa into that lot too but I think we will be above them come the end of the season. Why not us for forth place? I think Liverpool will be the biggest challenge for that spot.

• tdt

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

If we can keep our main players fit, the sky’s the limit. It’s also really exciting to think of all the good players that are waiting in the wings, budding to get into the first team.

We could have a very good season if a) our best players stay fit, and b) we get maybe a couple of good players in January for centre back cover and a striker (as Ba will be away for ACN).

• toonarmy1986

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

There is no reason why we can’t finish 4th! Liverpool are still a very average team at best and Spurs very hit and miss. As for Arsenal I still feel they are one of them teams who could suddenly string 10 wins together out of nothing or they could continue how they are.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM

We played extremely well for the last 20 mins, but it was long ball after long ball before Ben Arfa came on for best.

I hope now we’ve got these ball players like ben Arfa, Marveux etc, the ball will stay on the ground longer like it did in the last 20 mins.

Personally I’d prefer the

Tiote Cabaye

Jonas Ben Arfa Marveuz

Ba

rather than playing 2 big target men.

• Widowmaker

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Toonfan76, I like your optimism. See, I can’t even spell the word. 😀

I think Spurs, Gunner and Liverpool are still way stronger, especially if you look at their bench. We wouldn’t let Andy Carrol sit on bench regardless of his form, would we? Having said that, I think a Europa League spot is reachable with 2-3 good signings come January.

• bills-son

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I swear that this is true and not bull$hit.

I had a business meeting before Sunday’s game with the foreign agent of one of the Toon’s top foreign players. He was involved in 3 of the 7 summer signings and he confirmed that we also made offers for both Erdinc and Cissokho. The Erdinc offer was accepted but he did not want to leave France, the Cissokho offer was rejected and we wouldn’t pay the asking price.

He also confirmed what another blog member posted recently – that we had an offer accepted on deadline day for a CF (he wouldn’t say who but didn’t deny it was Maiga) and that when we arrived to sign him the club asked for another £2M – we refused to pay it. The agent tells me the original fee for this player has now been agreed and – as long as we still want him in January – he will definitely sign

The agent also confirmed that he and other agents have been told to scour the world for top talent under 25 who can be bought for a maximum £5/6M without paying stupid wages. The agent is an ex player and he said he fully agreed with the Toon’s policy.

Another interesting comment – he said he thought the atmosphere in the ground was far quieter this year than last even though the team have had a great start. He asked me why. I said I believed many fans were worried that after selling Nolan, Barton, Enrique on top of Carroll we would bomb this season + the anti-Ashley feeling was sky high at the start of the season. Those two factors have probably made many fans sceptical (nothing new there!) but I told him I could sense that fans were now getting excited about this team and that they would be screaming the roof off soon. He would have heard that alright in the 2nd half yesterday!

• GeordieToon89

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Champions League? having a laugh lads aye? ridiculous even thinking about it, Spurs are a much better team with they actual full strength squad playing and will be around 10 points ahead of us come end of may.. a think we could easily finish in Europa league though 5th/6th/7th and maybe even get to a cup final

• magpiebop

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

1,250/1 for league.1/3 the odds a place 1 or 2.
    25/1 Carling cup. 1/2 the odds a place 1 or 2.
    50/1 F.A. Cup. 1/2 the odds a place 1 or 2

• Sav

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM

We are good and have a decent bench for impact now. But if that was Colo who went off for us after 30 minutes like King for Spurs, we’d be snookered. Same goes for Wily Tiote. They are irreplaceable but of course we will have to replace them at some stage this season. That is the difference between our squad and Spurs/ Liverpool / Arsenal’s. Still, its a lot better than it has been and great to see us just well-organised in defence and at set-plays. The hell with ‘entertainers’ and our supposed unrealistic expectations.

• MacToon