Gutierrez – Newcastle Deserve To Be Fourth Top

Jonas Gutierrez recently signed a contract extension to stay at Newcastle until June of 2015.

Jonas Gutierrez – in action on Saturday

And we have to hope that his Argentine pal and the new Newcastle captain, Fabricio Coloccini, who has been in terrific form this season, will soon join him in signing an extended contract to keep Colo on Tyneside beyond his current contract,  which runs out a year come June.

Newcastle are in fourth place in the Premier League  on 16 points from 8 games, and they have  also won  a couple of rounds in the Carling Cup,  so Newcastle remain  unbeaten in their 10 games this season, winning six and drawing four.

Gutierrez thinks Newcastle deserve to be exactly where they are in the league:

“We deserve to be fourth. Nobody has beaten us yet, so we deserve it. We have a great opportunity next weekend to take the three points.”  “It will be hard to stay in the top four, we know that.”

“There are a lot of good teams in the league. But here at Newcastle we are all about trying to play good football and keep the ball.”

“I don’t care about what people think about Newcastle, or if they say we will never keep it up or that we have had an easy start. All I am bothered about is making sure that we improve with every game and stay focused.”

“Last season, we did well against good teams and lost against the poorer teams. This season we have drawn against the top teams so far, like Tottenham and Arsenal, and we are beating the teams that we should be beating.”

“We look strong, but we have to keep that up.”  “The fans have helped us. They are enjoying it now more than they have before while I have been here.”

“In the past, when we have been losing, they have not liked it. Now we are winning games they are clearly happier. It is great to see lots of smiling faces.”

Jonas is right about not doing well against the poorer sides in the league last season, and that must be corrected this Saturday,  when  Newcastle entertain Wigan Athletic, and there’s no way Newcastle should underestimate the Latics.

In last years fixture,  former winger Charles N’Zogbia scored two goals to put Wigan two up before half time, but Newcastle got themselves back in the game with a decent second half performance, in which Shola  Ameobi scored with 20 minutes remaining,  and then Coloccini scored a sensational injury time equalizer to make it 2-2.

We have to hope Newcastle don’t dig themselves into a hole on Saturday, against one of the weaker sides in the Premier League, but Wigan are not unlike  Wolves,  and they fight in every game and their players always give 100%.

Gutierrez again had a good game out on the left wing for Newcastle against Tottenham, and set up Newcastle first goal with some nice play on the left wing.

His final delivery was a delicately placed center that was driven home by Senegal International  Demba Ba who must have run 20 yards to get to the ball, and that’s the sign of a very good striker, and Ba now has scored 5 goals for Newcastle in just the last three league games.

Jonas Gutierrez  likes it at Newcastle, where he is an extremely popular player, and even seems to be improving this season:

“I like it here. We look a good team. The owners are doing the best they can for the team. The team is strong and that is the most important thing in football. My family and I are happy here. It was good for me to sign.”

“It would be good if we could be in Europe again by the time we reach the end of my contract.”  “It is too early, though, to talk about that. We have to go game by game. It is a long season and we are heading in the right direction.”

“November will be a tough game because we play Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea. Then we play nine games in December, so that will be a big two months for us. Really important. We have to focus on that.”

“This is my fourth season here in England, this is the first season really where we have been so high up the table.”  “We have been down and then up while I have been here”

“.Never this high. I have a lot of experience through all of these situations and it has helped me.”

It reflects very well on both Jonas Gutierrez and Fabricio Coloccini that they stayed with the Newcastle club after their first season on Tyneside, when Newcastle were relegated, and they both helped the club get promoted at the very first attempt, and Geordie fans will never forget that commitment.

We have Jonas at Newcastle for the next four years,  and it would be great if we can also secure captain Coloccini for that same time frame, and that’s what most fans will be hoping for, with negotiations already under way on Tyneside.

Newcastle have done  great so far this season, but the only thing that matters now is a win against Wigan on Saturday afternoon.

Howay The Lads!!

• TheMightyOne

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:35 AM

first!

• Widowmaker

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Personally I don’t like the idea of returning to Europe when Jonas reaching the end of his contract, but I am happy seeing players being realistic and intellegent.

I have always insist Jonas would be a sensation once we start play some more football and he is proving my point this season without the great Jose. Some says he is spured by competitions and I think it is a mistake thinking that way as we are talking about a player who is not only skillful but also always gives his 120% on the pitch. He just needs movements around if you have watched carefully when he played with Jose.

• ginkoh

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM

Without Jose, Jonas is free to attack on the wing with Raylor stay on back. All he missed is final ball but it’s improving every game especially last 2-3 game. Keep going El Galgo !

• cyprus

Oct 18, 2011 at 6:50 AM

“I know you guys have Rooney, Fabregas, Torres and many more stars – but Jonas is as good as any of them. ”

Who am I to disagree with you Lionel?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:18 AM

@2:
    Are you thinking that we won,t get back into European Competition until 2015 ! Jonas has just signed a contract untill then! Hoping Collo will do the same! And Krul !

I want European competition! If not this year then at least next ! Not least if they achieve that i might be able to get a ticket to see them play across here in Holland ! or in Germany!

Forget Jose! He left us because he thought that we would,nt amount to much and be fighting relegation again this year! Like Ruiz at Fulham, he may come to regret his money making move to the Pool !

I,me really loooking forward tp playing them on 30 December, promises to be quite a game and one which i want us to win!

Jonas is right about November! We play three of the so called best teams in the league in a ten day period!
    If we can get anything out of those three games, then lets face it we will deserve at least a top six finnish and maybe a place in Europe next year already!

But lets not get ahead of ourselves eh! First Wigan and three points! One game at a time, and try and keep this run going! The monday after it Stoke away which will not be easy, even Manure had problems there!

Keep the Faith ! HWTL !

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:25 AM

@5:
    Just checked out your link! If the lad was,nt a target maybe he is now!
    Are you thinking of applying for a scouting job !

He would fit in to our club structure at 18 years old !
    Who knows who were gonna get in Jan! We seem to be signing a lot of foreign players!
    Might be a good idea to look at home grown local talent and Enlish players! Has,nt Beardsley just been promoted to do just that?

• TS -77

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Jonas has really steped up a plate since signing that new contract. And with Marvaux and Ben Arfa sniffing around the starting 11, the competition has done him good as well.

Keep the good work up Gutierrez! And you too as well Ed.

• ardenTOON

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:27 AM

The player bashing mob have moved on from Shola and Jonas to the new whipping boy Obertan..but i think Simpson has been better off with Obertan in the right against spurs. One incident comes to mind where bale was charging down the right and obertan was with him all the way tracking back and breaking down the attack. And shola’s goal was quality… touch, power and more importantly placement.

• Widowmaker

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:31 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE?
    I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say, or perhaps I did not phrase it well. I think we can get an Europa League spot with some extra pushes come January,and that is why I done’t like what Jonas said. I want it happen earlier, just like you.

However, I am also glad that Jonas has put it in a good manner so he does not build fan expectation too high and piss the board off. on my mobile, and it is hard to type long reply

• WWJBD

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Well lads apparently that moody kid from france (Maiga) is near enough a done deal and will join us in Jan. Strange one as isn’t he at ACoN?

That’s according to reports in france and Sky

• Widowmaker

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:36 AM

About Jose, I can assure you I am over it. I was only trying to say Jonas needs players around to move around and create spaces to allow him swing the magic stick

• WWJBD

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:37 AM

On Guti he was my star player last season. He is probably the best player we have along with Colo imo

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM

@WWJBD

Don’t believe everything you read 😉 To be honest I don’t think we’re in for him anymore and I would like to see how well he’s doing come January.

I have a funny feeling if Da, Best and HFA all deliver we’re not going to buy a Carroll replacement in January, but a hot prospect instead – and I’m fine with that.

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Da = Ba 😉

• jesperfuglsang

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:41 AM

I am hitting all the wrong buttons 😉

HFA = HBA

• magpiebop

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Is Pardew playing Santon on the right to show that he wants Pieters for left back or to keep that slot free for Ferguson/Dummett? Time will tell!

• Stuart

Oct 18, 2011 at 9:52 AM

apparently Pieters is injured for at least the next 3 months like, someone said on here yesterday.

• Toon_Tom

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:07 AM

magpiebop > Santon came on at right back to use his speed and agility agains Spurs’ lefties! Moving foward, Santon will definitely become our regular left-back and it will be up to Raylor and Simpson to battle it out for RB.

• GeordieToon89

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM

He wont be keeping left back for fergie cos he isnt a left bsck, he took simo off cos hes had a rough week and we needed raylors set piece threat on the pitch,
    Wheres the stuff on Sky about Maiga never read anything about it and personally dont want him a think thazbetter out there

• GeordieToon89

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Haha see Bartons in trouble at QPR now he said “im yet too see the supposed genius of Taraabt” warnock wants words with him ha

• bambams

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Chaps i cannot find any new quotes re Modibo Maiga @wwjbd……………. Done deal, dont know if i know all the websites anyone shed any light on this? wwjbd ?

• patrick.osullivan.1996

Oct 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM

keep calm and think of shola.