Wigan Will Provide Newcastle With A Different Kind Of Test

Jonas Gutierrez seems to have taken some the interview duties yesterday and today.

Jonas Gutierrez in action for Argentina

Jonas seems pleased that Newcastle are more consistent than they were last season, and whereas last term Newcastle would play well against the top teams, like beating Arsenal 1-0 away, they also came a cropper more than once when they played poorly asgainst the lesser sides in the league.

The 5-1 defeat at Bolton is a good example of a game last season when Newcastle didn’t show up, and after that game Newcastle had both center-backs, Coloccini and Mike Williamson, suspended for three game,s so it was truly a disastrous game for Newcastle.

But Newcastle are more consistent this season, at least so far, and the Magpies have won six and drawn four of their 10 games in all competitions.

This is what Jonas said today:

“Every season is different. Last season we did well against good teams and lost against the poorer teams.”

“This season we have drawn against the top teams so far like Tottenham and Arsenal and we are beating the teams we should be beating. We look strong but we have to keep that up.”

“The fans have helped us. They are enjoying it now more than they have before while I have been here.” “In the past when we have been losing they have not liked it. Now we are winning games they are clearly happier.”

“The smiles on the faces of the fans are greater now. We are learning about the mistakes we make.” “We have to keep going. It is a long season and in all of the games that come along we are looking better.”

“I don’t care about what people think about Newcastle. All I am bothered about is making sure we improve with every game and stay focused.”

“It will be hard to stay in the top four. There are a lot of good teams in the league but at Newcastle we are trying to play good football and keep the ball. Nobody has beaten us yet, so we deserve to be fourth.

“We have a great opportunity next weekend to take the three points at home to Wigan Athletic. “Against Tottenham many would not have thought we would win but we came very close to beating Spurs.”

“We are playing really well.”

We’ll see just how Newcastle play against a weaker side this Saturday afternoon when Wigan come to Toon, and on paper it looks like an easy win for the Tyneside club.

But things never seem to always  work out the way you expect them, as we all know.

But we also have to believe that Alan Pardew will have his side ready, and any player who treats the game lightly will not last long on the pitch,  with so many good players only waiting to get their chance in the first team.

Tottenham Hotspur were a stern test last Sunday, and Wigan will proved a different kind of test this Saturday.

Let’s hope the Newcastle team turns up like it did last Sunday against Spurs, especially in that pulsating second half.

One of my Doctors yesterday told me he had watched the game on Sunday (he’s an Arsenal supporter), and he said it was an excellent game in the final 45 minutes, and that Newcastle looked a very good side.

I asked him to repeat that – twice. 😀

• toonincheek

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Good idea not to argue with your doctor or you will get a prescription for a strong laxative!

• rulezzz

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:25 AM

cant wait for sat’s game! We just need some consistency, our wingers would ripe apart wigan def (ober can show his worth if he starts; i think Jonas would wreck havok again) considering their poor form especially away form.

• Stuart

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:26 AM

A different kind of test? We should by all accounts hammer them really.

• beefman13

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:26 AM

jonas is right we need to be on top of ourgame for every game, lets make no mistake we should be looking for the 3 against wigan but, stike and everton are really tough away games and i always looked at these games at the start of the season and thought these are the teams who will be around us, if we can get something from these games then it will really gage our season, i believe the players and staff at the toon think they can and that suits me fine.

• rulezzz

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:27 AM

forgot to add, with BA in great scoring form, he can definately add to his tally of 5 in last 3 and best can take this chance to score and regain his scoring touch! Thus, getting all 3 points on sat is an all important one for keeping the lads confidence up!

• Stuart

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I hope AP shakes things up abit and includes HBA and Santon in the starting lineup.

• gunnarnufc

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I was not at all impressed with Obertan in last game nor was I with Best. I’d like to see Marveoux for Obertan and Ben Arfa for Best.

• rulezzz

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM

i still think that AP will start the same squad but will give HBA/Marq/Santon more playing time this time round, lets say sub them in on the hour mark.

• Ollieh51

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM

@ Rulezzz – Agreed, they’ll get some game time next week in the cup too hopefully.

They’re strong enough to push Blackburn but then we can throw some more expereinnced players on if it goes a bit Pete Tong.

• Munster Mag

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Completely agree Gun

• GeordieToon89

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM

a think Santon will start against Wigan and Benny n Marv will come on after about 70mins.. and Blackburn they will all start because a cant imagine Benny starting at Stoke they a rough team

• Minato

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Firstly I’d just like to say how delighted I am after the Spurs game…great result and despite their collective arrogance…I think they all know they were lucky to escape from us with a point. Although I think we played better against Blackburn this was easily our most entertaining game and overall I’m delighted..

Also have to say that while I have been trying to defend Simpson he looked so out of place and constantly making mistakes. R.Taylor will have to be replaced in the long run…but out of the two id rather keep Ryan…Santoon look far more composed on the ball.

I also agree with those disappointed with Obertan..good defensively but going forward I have very rarely seen him offer anything.Marveux has a far better delivery and is more direct. I’d use him in games we can afford to attack in.

So for Wigan I’d bring in Marveux and Santon for Simpson and Obertan. Ben Arfa to continue getting minutes to boost his fitness.

As for the Wigan game, I don’t think we should start thinking about sure results. Wigan on there day can be very difficult to handle and while I’d expect a win..the old adage that every game is difficult in this league must be remembered. we must approach every game with a 100% attitude. Still think we can bag two wins and draw before we play the top three in a few weeks time

Hooway the lads! Finally good times are coming back…

• TS -77

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Would like to see this 11 start against Wigan:

Krul

Raylor – Saylor – Coloccini – Santon

Ben Arfa – Tiote – Cabaye – Gutierrez

Best – Ba

• nden85

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Can’t wait for this game, I’ve been invited to basically the best seat in the house, one of the corporate boxes right next to fat Mike. Oh and its a free bar so I’ll definitely not be getting invited back any time soon.

• solano

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Maybe the new advertising abomination going up on the outside of the Gallowgate End will be ready in time for the Wigan game?

• G

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM

What is said advertising abomination going up Solano? Some b**ger has some scaffolding on the roof of a building between here and there, and I can only see the top of the stand. More ‘Spurts Direct’ garbage I assume?

• rulezzz

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:09 PM

http://www.leazesterrace.com/tactical-analysis-newcastle-tottenham-oct-2011/ >> good read here lads on the tactical report against spurs

• solano

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM

From what I hear, G, YES! It appears it’s slipped below the radar because of our great start, but just spoken to a contractor working up there and it’s another free advert for his crappy sportswear.

• G

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Oh goody, another advertisement for crappy sports gear, designed for and bought by people who do not do sports.

• solano

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Those 8 year old Hindu boys stitch a canny pasty catcher like :-0
    I suppose with every bit of Ying we have to get a dose of Yang under these guys… but our great stadium deserves a bit more class than to be adorned at every angle with the ” Chav brand”

• solano

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM

G…still training hard? Marathons isn’t it?

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Or we could try this at one point:

————————–KRUL———————

R.TAYLOR—S.TAYLOR–COLO—SANTON

————CABAYE——–TIOTE————–

———————-BEN ARFA——————

—-DEMBA BA————————–JONAS

————————-BEST———————–

SUBS: MARVEAUX, OBERTAN, GOSLING

But i’d prefer:

————————KRUL———————

R.TAYLOR—S.TAYLOR–COLO—SANTON

————CABAYE——–TIOTE————–

JONAS———-BEN ARFA——-OBERTAN

——————DEMBA BA———————-

SUBS: MARVEUX, GOSLING, BEST.

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM

————————–KRUL———————

R.TAYLOR—S.TAYLOR–COLO—SANTON

————————–TIOTE————–

———-BEN ARFA———CABAYE——

—JONAS————————–——DEMBA

————————-BEST———————–

• G

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

No, triathlon, and only one. Did it a couple of months back, and was grateful not to come last for my age group, as I was stupid enough to attempt it with a knee injury (The running and cycling actually wasn’t that bad, it was the swimming that knackered me!). Regardless, I wasn’t too happy with my time, but I ddin’t exactly disgrace myself either.

• Tiote4PM

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

LOVE IT nDen – sounds like you drink like me!

When Newcastle play well the whole quality of my life improves.

I FEEL good on a day to day basis. If we win something I will reach Navana!

HWTL!

• solano

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Still a canny effort. Cycling will do me now…..retired from the beautiful game last month. Father Time and all that.

• Ollieh51

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM

@ Rulezzz – That’s another awesome report fela!

• GeordieToon89

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

see the Maiga story is on nufc.com now, dont really want him to be honest but he’s scored 4 in 3 games so far

• G

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Snap, given up the running and all that, but stuck with the pedalling, although no more roadie nonsense for me now. MTB only. Congrats on the kiddie bit, just recently had another screaming skull myself. Little girl again (another bloody wedding to pay for in years to come!).

• shamsoftabriz

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM

We need three points from the home fixture against Wigan. We have played neither Manchester team yet, nor Chelsea, nor Liverpool. Those are eight matches we will not be favored to win. All loom ahead of us. Therefore, we must gather our rosebuds while we may so that we may baton down the hatches and weather the storms that lay ahead. The way things are shaping out, after the top four–which will likely be the Manchesters, Chelsea, and Liverpool, it is WIDE OPEN for fifth….could be us, Tottenham, Arsenal, or Stoke, I think. Keep our noses to the grindstone and beat Wigan, score a lot of goals, and increase our differential.

Keep at it!