Danny Simpson Leaving – So Is Erik Pieters Coming In?


It’s a rumor that will not go away,  and now Danny Simpson has confirmed he will be leaving Newcastle, either in January or next summer.

Danny Simpson – on his way in January?

Danny signed a contract in January of 2010, when Newcastle were still in the English second division, and his wages are fairly low, and although there were stories that Newcastle had offered him a new five year deal, nothing has been signed.

And Danny doesn’t think he will get any new deal past the 18 months he has left on his current deal, so if that is the case, we could see Newcastle sell Danny in January, since they will not want to lose him for nothing in the summer of 2013.

Newcastle paid around £500K for Simpson from Manchester United, and he could bring as much as £3M in the transfer market, which would be a tidy profit for Newcastle.

Aston Villa were said to be interested in the player in August,  but the deal apparently fell through, and we think Davide Santon could well come in  against Wigan on Saturday at right back, and Danny moved to the bench.

Simpson said this today:

“There is a chance in the future that I will be moving, whether in the transfer window or in the summer.”   “I have 18 months left on my contract and I don’t think it will go past that.”

Simpson didn’t get a good deal in January, 2010 and he’s on around £10K/week, which is fairly low on the totem pole, even under owner Mike Ashley.

Newcastle have lined up Sochaux striker Modibo Maiga as a potential transfer for £7M very early in January, but now if Simpson is on his way, we wonder if Newcastle will try to bring in Erik Pieters of PSV or another left back.

Newcastle were close to getting Pieters on Tyneside during the summer, and we wonder if Newcastle have continued their negotiations with PSV to try to get the player to Newcastle  in January.

That would potentially give Newcastle a  full  back partnership of Santon on the right and Pieters on the left, and we also have Ryan Taylor, Shane Ferguson and James Tavernier as back-ups, although Ryan Taylor has kept his place at left-back with some solid performances this season.

So it could be that Newcastle bring in a striker and left back in January, and since Newcastle  are a little light at center-back,  it would also be good if Newcastle can bring in a center-back in January so that Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson and the new center-back can fight it out for the two starting center-back positions.

We’d like to see three players brought in during January and with this news that Simpson, who can also play canter-back,  may be leaving, that could happen.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

46 comments so far

  • AMEOBI

    Oct 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM

    Comment #1

    Well, let him go, Raylor RB Santon LB? Or opposite positions

    Both better than Simmo imo

    0
  • sammydolan

    Oct 19, 2011 at 11:41 PM

    Comment #2

    Denies this on twitter…

    0
  • paulmurph272003

    Oct 19, 2011 at 11:42 PM

    Comment #3

    Doesn’t seem like he wants to be here that badly and I believe in Santon, Raylor we have better players right now. But credit to him, he has done better this season than most fans probably expected and I would be sad to see him leave.

    Mind you, if Pieters came in as his replacement we would look stronger than with Simpson in. Pieters offers the potential of playing centre half too which can only be a good thing!

    0
  • AMEOBI

    Oct 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM

    Comment #4

    Quotes from twitter please, not got it and cba make one

    0
  • AndyRobinson

    Oct 19, 2011 at 11:53 PM

    Comment #5

    Don’t believe everything u read, things get taken out of context! Very happy at Newcastle n I’m staying quote from twitter

    0
  • sammydolan

    Oct 19, 2011 at 11:57 PM

    Comment #6

    what @AndyRobinson said…

    0
  • AMEOBI

    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM

    Comment #7

    Cheers andy

    0
  • Robby Bobson

    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM

    Comment #8

    Denies it on twitter….he said it in court!!!!

    Cant really deny he said it, maybe he was jus pleeing so his license didnt get taken away but he still said it.

    Dont really care, full backs as good as him aren’t hard to come by. I think Raylor is ahead of him anyway.

    0
  • sirtoongospel

    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:19 AM

    Comment #9

    Was Simpson not another player who refused/failed to sign a new contract? The others were shipped out and he might be next? He is a weak link in the team anyway imo. Santon should be stronger, and totally agree that a lb, cb and pacy striker is all we need in Jan. Total spend of around 11-12 million. we have that money so not beyond the realms of possibility. If MA spends that he might just see us exceed expectations and sneak into the top 7.

    0
  • archaeomag

    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:23 AM

    Comment #10

    I think we already need a defender in January, whether he leaves or not.
    Would we sell Simpson for a few million, and hang onto Perch?
    Poor lad spends half his time denying these stories in the press.

    0
  • BeeGuy

    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM

    Comment #11

    NOt fair to take this as Gospel. Simmo explaining to judge why he needs to drive (in order to help with his child’s health issues) is far different from talking to a reporter.

    0
  • Thump

    Oct 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM

    Comment #12

    @BeeGuy: Yeah but the problem lies in reporters being there. I’ve spoke to the lad a good few times and he loves it up here, loves the fans (and unlike a lot of players been and gone, he seems very genuine) and most importantly he knows where the Metro Centre is. That’s reason enough to stay, surely?

    Seriously though, it was a way to get out of a driving ban.

    1. Child’s predicament.
    2. Realises it probably isn’t going to wash with the magistrates.
    3. Career.

    That’s exactly what happened. That said, he was almost sold on the last day so it wouldn’t surprise me if he was sold but I’d be damn sad to see him go, he’s a decent RB but he needs to close down a little more.

    0
  • Jinky Jim

    Oct 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM

    Comment #13

    Well one thing for sure! he wont be driving away.

    0
  • JBax97

    Oct 20, 2011 at 1:25 AM

    Comment #14

    Never rated Simpson, he’d make a better midfielder. Keep Raylor on the left and put santon on the right.

    0
  • craig bell

    Oct 20, 2011 at 2:35 AM

    Comment #15

    poor attitude to have. If he thinks the manager wont give him a new contract then he should go out on the pitch and prove he deserves one

    0
  • NUFC_DOWNUNDER

    Oct 20, 2011 at 2:54 AM

    Comment #16

    I’ve been reading all the speculation about which strikers are likely to come in in January but to me, the weakest position for us is wing backs. Both Raylor, although I admit he has exceeded expectations, and Simo have been the worst players in the team.
    I believe we do not need a striker of the same calibre as Ba, Best, Shola. I feel Maiga is of the same quality, which is 8-12 goals in a good season without injuries. I feel like if we go for a striker it needs to be someone small and nippy who hangs off the shoulder of a full back. Somone like Rossi, Hoillet, Defoe etc.. WE have enough striking power to finish in the top 10. If we want to go for it we need to really spend to land top quality in that department.
    As for wing backs, we need one immediately and i have 3 candidates. 1. Pieters, Ollson or Sossokho. Perhaps it wouldn’t hurt buying Ridgewell cos he can cover centre back and left back spots

    0
  • Thump

    Oct 20, 2011 at 4:09 AM

    Comment #17

    @NUFC_DOWNUNDER: Good job we have full backs then.

    0
  • ginkoh

    Oct 20, 2011 at 5:21 AM

    Comment #18

    Yes, He’s no world beater but I think he has enough quality to play in most of mid-table PRM team. I would have him in our team as squad player than sell him. However if decent offer is on the table and it’s good for club and himself, He will go with my grateful.

    0
  • MT

    Oct 20, 2011 at 5:22 AM

    Comment #19

    let him go,not outstanding guy.we need to increase the centre back.just like pieters,Nicolai Boilesen

    0
  • HKTP

    Oct 20, 2011 at 5:48 AM

    Comment #20

    I’ve watched a few games this season, and whilst I think he has improved, he still doesnt cut it. His positional sense is poor, his attacking is weak and doesnt strike me as the long term left back. His strength is he has pace but that isnt enough in this day and age. Collo and Tayls have bailed him out on numerous occassions.

    I would love to see Santon at RB and get Pieters in at LB. Both look solid and dependable. Pieters looks great, a very defensive full back, should allow Jonas more freedom to damage.

    Raylor/Ferguson should be good back ups to these. I would also like to see us sign Ridgewell. Should be cheap and can play a variety of positions along the back four.

    0
  • NEWEXPATMAGPIE

    Oct 20, 2011 at 5:52 AM

    Comment #21

    Pieters is on walking sticks having broken his foot last Sunday!

    0
  • NEWEXPATMAGPIE

    Oct 20, 2011 at 5:54 AM

    Comment #22

    He,s out for at least three months! maybe more!

    If Simpson wants to leave then let him! But if he does we,ll need to two defenders in instead of one!

    0
  • MT

    Oct 20, 2011 at 6:14 AM

    Comment #23

    Dedryck Boyata is better than Ridgewell.he is young,talent & strong.he want to leave because he is reserve in man city.so it ‘s a chance to get him in january.

    0
  • Solaidback

    Oct 20, 2011 at 6:38 AM

    Comment #24

    Not sure what you lot think will happe in Jan but I can guarantee this, Ashley won’t be spending money on a Striker, fullbacks & CB…

    That would cost him more than what we spent in the summer, so you should forget about getting Miabe, Pieters & Rigdgewell unless we can get them for cheap…

    I’m not saying Ashley isn’t willing to spend some money but we all know that clubs charge more in Jan for players, so if Pieters was £6.5m in the summer, they’ll want £8.5m iin Jan, same goes for the other players too & somehow I can see Ashley shelling out circa £20m in Jan on 3 players when he only spent around £15m in the summer on 7 players… its all dreams lads, wake up & smell the coffee yeah…

    0
  • hdavid23

    Oct 20, 2011 at 7:01 AM

    Comment #25

    he’s not our best, but i don’t want him to leave. need him as cover, i think we’re gonna have Pieters in anyway, so he’ll be LB plus cover for CB, Santon RB, Simmo cover for RB, Raylor cover for about every position

    0
  • bills-son

    Oct 20, 2011 at 7:35 AM

    Comment #26

    Maiga is a done deal – if we still want him in January.

    I said on another thread that I had a business meeting before the game with the agent of one of the Toon’s top players who was involved in 3 of the 7 summer transfers. He told me a CF we tried to sign in the summer was now a done deal and didn’t deny it was Maiga – I’m certain it is.

    Ashley has proved he is a quick learner and the last day CF farce – when Sochaux agreed a deal to sell Maiga and then upped the price by another £2M – will have taught him a lesson. I’m fairly certain we will be negotiating already for other targets.

    Not offering Simmo another contract – if its true – is further evidence of the club’s determination to improve the quality of the squad and shows they will dictate the rules to players not the other way round.

    0
  • Robson Wonderland

    Oct 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM

    Comment #27

    Call Tavernier back and ship Simmo out if he wants to leave. Tav has bags more potential anyhow.

    0
  • cyprus

    Oct 20, 2011 at 7:52 AM

    Comment #28

    If he’s so useless as some here claim, why is he worth 3 mil? Hm. Others we’ve recently tried in that position (E.g. the two Taylors, Perch) have fallen embarrassingly short… When he arrived, finally we had a proper, passionate RB. Is he world class? Well no. Has he done the job? Hell yes, he’s a member of the stingiest defence in the PL. Unless there’s someone better lined up now, not a year after he goes, keep the lad. He deserves a new contract.

    0
  • Dannyo

    Oct 20, 2011 at 7:54 AM

    Comment #29

    Carver has been quoted on saying there’s still money in the pouch, but that has to coincide with our regulations for spendings, so us bringing in the needed players depends on price. If the price is right, we’ll get those who we want.
    Remember Guthrie is also in his last year, along with Smith and Loven (i think). All those 3 off the bill, along with 1-2 others, would allow us to strengthen quite a bit.
    Again, only if the price is right tho.
    If the price is right, i won’t be doubting the quality we’ll be bringing in.

    0
  • cyprus

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM

    Comment #30

    Got this from nufcblog.org. Impressed: “Newcastle United midfielder, Yohan Cabaye was recently named as the most hard working player in the Premiership after covering a distance of 83.5km over our first seven games, or 128.9 metres per minute. Since the Tottenham game that figure is now 95.1 km according to the Premier League Index.”

    0
  • BigKirky

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM

    Comment #31

    That’s interesting Bills-son, thanks for sharing.

    0
  • cyprus

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:30 AM

    Comment #32

    From http://www.givemefootball.com:

    “Newcastle have been linked with a somewhat surprising move for Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero, who will leave Turin next summer.

    The Guardian has speculated that the Toon could be one of several clubs put on alert after the 36-year-old was told by Juve he would not be offered a new contract.”

    Could this be true? My first reaction was of course the same as yours out there. Not part of our policy. But think a minute. Would you take on Giggs on a year by year contract? Of course you would. Ok. If you were given the chance to have one of the world’s greatest goalscorers AND playmaker AND free-kick taker (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_Del_Piero), what would you think?

    0
  • WWJBD

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:32 AM

    Comment #33

    People are starting to expect a lot from the fat man in transfer market again…it will only end in heartbreak and tears

    0
  • geoff777

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM

    Comment #34

    Danny Simpson must be doing something right.
    He’s part of the tightest defensive unit in the league.

    We need to add a defender to increase competition.
    Pieters would be perfect at LB.

    If we have the cash for a better quality replacement then sell him, that’s team building. If not extend his contract.

    0
  • Rotonda heights

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:44 AM

    Comment #35

    bills son

    What is your job ? It sounds pretty interesting if you’re talking to agents.

    Cyrus

    Why is Carroll worth 35 m ? It’s whatever the market dictates.

    Simpson is not comfortable on the ball, always resorting to hoofing it and he backs off way too much.

    Tavernier is a ready made replacement with far more footballing ability and potential.

    Simpson had one outstanding game away at Arsenal last year where he kind of played as a sweeper. Apart from that, not so much.

    0
  • cyprus

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:52 AM

    Comment #36

    Rotonda heights,
    Were you asking me? The ‘market’ is real people, it is usually right and sometimes wrong but it soon adjusts. A price (or bidding) war can sometimes distort it, as happened in the case of Andy.
    If Aston Villa, more successful than us in recent years, want him there’s two possibilities. They’re fools, or not.

    0
  • stevep

    Oct 20, 2011 at 8:56 AM

    Comment #37

    He’s not going to resign on 10k a week when he can easily get at least twice that – Danny’s a decent right back who is improving, he doesn’t have the luxury of Jonas covering
    Club will sell him in order they get a return on investment – I wouldn’t expect too many signings in jan – we need to keep wage bill down so will have to offload smith and xisco before signing more than 1 player in jan

    0
  • nimo

    Oct 20, 2011 at 9:07 AM

    Comment #38

    simmo doesnt wanna leave hes said numerous times.. whats gone on behind the aceenes kn deadline day where villa was supposed to b after him.. maybe he was told then he was gonna go.. from what ive heard thats when he got caught speeding driving back up the A1.

    0
  • Alnwick Mag

    Oct 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM

    Comment #39

    Hey at first i thought this was quite good news but hes cheap cover for 10k a week. i’ve tried to like Danny but he just backs off players until they eventually cross the ball in.

    0
  • bambams

    Oct 20, 2011 at 9:23 AM

    Comment #40

    Some interesting opinions here…….

    I believe we will be bringing in Modibo but not sure if anyone else will follow, we remember Pardieu stating “I just wanted that one striker” quote so to now believe we are going to be signing 3/4 players will just not happen.

    I have only seen James Tavernier once (against Orlando City!) but he was absolutely lightening quick and did not do anything wrong, which brings me to think if Simmo is leaving the powers to be may think we have enough cover (Raylor/Santoon,Perch,Fergy) for the FB places until Tav has that bit more experience.

    I agree that Ash will not spend much….Its just not his way and we are not in a low league position (not at the moment) for Pardieu to argue strongly we need 3-4 players!

    Possibly Ridgewell could be brought in if that idiot Nile Ranger goes in the opposite direction

    0

You must log in to post a comment.