Newcastle Have Four Striker Target List For January

The Newcastle Journal is reporting today that Newcastle have a striker hit-list of four strikers they are looking at closely and will bring anew striker in early in the January transfer window.

Modibo Maiga – likely signing in January

That’s the plan in any case and we reported yesterday that negotiations are at an advanced stage for Modibo Maiga to arrive in the first few days of January, and of course he was a major target of the club last summer.

We are hoping the Newcastle Board can see that Newcastle could finish in a very decent position in the Premier League this season, and because of that will get whoever Alan Pardew says he wants in the January transfer window.

But The Journal is reporting that the other three strikers on the hit-list are FC Twente striker Luuk de Jong, SC Freiburg’s Senegal striker Papa Cisse and Lille’s Senegal forward Moussa Sow.

So they are after two Senegal International strikers, and we suppose one of them could join Demba Ba in Jnuary.

But of course it is the African Cup of  Nations in January, and three of those four players will be participating in that, as well as Newcastle’s Demba Ba.

Of the four strikers mentioned, 24 year-old Maiga seems to be the cheapest at around £7M with Freiburg wanting around £10M for26 year-old Cisse, and 21 year-old Dutch International de Jong being around £10M.

Lille’s Moussa Sow will certainly not come cheaply, and we would guess the 25 year-old would be at least £10M.

Of the four of them we would probably go for de Jong, as he probably has the most unfulfilled potential, having just turned 21 in August.

We wonder if Newcastle are lining up any other players, like a full back for instance and we wouldn’t mind seeing 23 year-old Dutch International left-back Erik Pieters of PSV Eindhoven coming in during January too, but that has to be an outside chance.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

• tawaaz

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

id want 2 c de-jong in but cant say ive heard lots abt him…maiga has e heart 4 us bt i dnt think hez got 2 much potential 2 lead us in front….lets jus wait & c, id go 4 blackburns jnr hoilet any day

• bills-son

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel looks to be the one that could have been a steal – £4.5M and he’s knocking them in for fun at Sporting Lisbon.

• Slank

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I think it’s fairly certain that the club will bring in at least one forward in the January window with all the signs pointing towards Maiga.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the club also bring in a striker who has been below the radar.

I also think they will bring in a full back, but haven’t any idea whether that will be a left back or right back.

• JimmyToonToon

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM

@tawaaz, I totally agree, Hoilet would be a well good purchase in the new year. I’m sure I’ve heard he’s stalling on a new contract too!

HWTL

• jukitsu

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I hope we sign atleast two players. Three and we might challenge to european spot.

1) Left back, Pieters/Cissokho
    2) Centre back, ?
    3) Striker, De jong/Maiga

• jarnytoon

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Out of all of them i would have De Jong, he’s a a tidy little player and a good finisher.

Sow and Cisse would be away for African Cup of Nations n as much as i like Maiga, whats to stop him having a strop to leave toon in future?

• UpTheRoad

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I genuinely don’t know which one to go for, but I feel confident enough that we’ll bring in the right one 🙂

@NobbyNolano

• lordy_geordie

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I really dont want maiga. Cisse is who I want.

• rickskin

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Does anyone else feel like we’re 2-3 signings from being a really strong team?

• ScottishMagpie

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Why Maiga!? He isnt that good. Would rather have de jong

• mtanzania

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM

why not go for cordozo from benfica? wonder how much he would cost

• Barc

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Cisse looks leagues above Maiga (from what I’ve seen).

Admittedly, I’ve only seen bits and pieces of Maiga.

For me, Cisse or De Jong.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Does Souchoux’s sponsor on Maiga’s shirt on that photo really say ‘Love Co*k’ ?? LOL

Personally I would go for Sow, he’s just class but I think we’ll sign Luuk De Jong, younger, more potential and more impressive than Maiga. If we could sign De Jong and Pietres then we would have an amazing team and the new dutchmen will make Krul feel right at home.

I just hope we don’t go for the cheapest for the sake of it. Maiga’s attitude does worry me and I think that a deal could already be agreed.

Whoever it is he has to be class, quick and a real finisher. Gameiro would have been perfect. Oh well.

HTL

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 20, 2011 at 10:28 AM

mtanzania – I have wondered that myself a few times. Maybe they see him too lightweight or too expensive. I think he would be great here but that’s just me and you perhaps.

I’ve said many times in the past we should have signed Defoe and last sunday he proved why again. He’s too old and expensive now I think but that is the type of quick finisher we crave.

Pardew knows the importance of getting the right striker for this club. I just pray to God Ashley does.

Sow, Cisse, De Jong, Sturridge, Gameiro, Erding are the way forward if we want to gurantee european football. That’s the calibre of striker we should be looking at and no less. Someone worthy of the legendary #9.

HTL

• Jamie McKellar

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:19 AM

personally i think we should bet eren derdiyok, eric peiters and tranquillo barnetta. with those three we could get top 3, easily

• TudgeNUFC

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:13 PM

would love to see moussa sow at newcastle, would work with demba, but are strikers seem to be doing fine, if they keep it up may be worth investing in a defender, I have lots of love for steven taylor but that tackle against wolves, and then against spurs.. think he is losing his touch