Alan Pardew – We Are All In This Together

When Chris Hughton was sacked last December, the manager most Newcastle fans wanted brought in was Martin Jol, who had just resigned from Ajax, and was available.

Alan Pardew – winning fans over

Martin is now manager of Fulham of course, and here’s the result of a poll we conducted just days before Alan was appointed:

Who Do You Like Between These Three Newcastle Candidates?

• Martin Jol (66%, 409 Votes)
  • None Of The Above (25%, 154 Votes)
  • Alan Pardew (6%, 38 Votes)
  • Alan Curbishley (2%, 15 Votes)

Total Voters: 616

Loading ... Loading ...

So Alan was not a popular choice at the time, but since then he seems to have done everything right, and he already seems to have the makings of a very good side on Tyneside, with Newcastle unbeaten in their first 10 games this season, and he’s only been at the club a short 10 months too.

It seems that the Newcastle fans are warming to this straightforward Londoner, and he thinks so as well,  as he had this to say yesterday in one of his many interviews:

“I used to get a lot of “Well good luck anyways.” I’m not sure it was a good luck or not,” “I think it’s probably just the way they say it up here.”

“But I didn’t know if they meant it, I don’t get those sort of remarks anymore. The inference was “We don’t really want you as manager but we still want the team to do well’.”

“Maybe there was a little bit of that. The majority of people I bump into now are pleased with the way things are going and how the team plays. That is music to any manager’s ears.”

“I think my relationship with the fans has changed. Newcastle fans may feel some pride in this team, and they are feeling that we are all in this together.

“There is a good feeling around the place with everyone. That happens at every club when you are winning games. I live in the area now and I am settled in the area. We are now just looking forward to the next batch of matches.”

Wigan’s visit to St James’ Park tomorrow is the easiest game, at least on paper,  for a long time, and then Newcastle travel to Blackburn on Wednesday for the Carling Cup 4th round tie, and then to Stoke the following Monday.

Everton at home the following Saturday is the next game, and then there are  three zingers on the following Saturdays,  against Manchester City and Manchester United away and then the lads are home to Chelsea.

The game after Chelsea is Norwich City away on the following Saturday, and that will not be an easy game either.

But of course you cannot look too far ahead, and the only thing that matters now is that Newcastle get all 3 points tomorrow against Wigan at home, and the lads must be at or near their best for that game to take all the points.

No doubt Pardew will then make some changes for the Blackburn game, but we need a strong side out at Blackburn to ensure we get through to the quarter finals and remain unbeaten.

There’s certainly some tough games coming up for this new Newcastle United side, but it seems the fans, Alan and his coaches, as well as the players are all together, and that’s very good.

• WWJBD

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Wow that vote is poor for Pards though that probably helped him, no one expected much of him and look what he has done

I would say he has been accepted by 90 per cent of fans now but that figure could drop when we finally lose

• vuckic

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM

this guys is somewhat a better version of hughton.both good managers

• UpTheRoad

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Been watching High school musical Ed? 😉 Btw Lawrenson has predicted us to win this weekend..I’m worried!

• UpTheRoad

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

@NobbyNolano

• Dannyo

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I’d say he’s won the most fans over, but u know, the season is long, we’re in 4th now, that won’t help if we’re 13th after 38 games.
    I respect the man and have faith in him, but trust is a different matter. Needs to perform over a longer period, like KK and SBR.

• AMEOBI

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I was wanting Martin O’neil in but he’d never of taken it with our budget.
    More than happy with Pardew top bloke along as manager

• Tiote4PM

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Delighted with how we are playing and how the team is coming together.

Still don’t trust Pardew though. He has lied and mislead fans before and I KNOW MA let him down. I will be cautious as being lied to the number of times we have been is unacceptable.

HWTL

• geoff777

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Pardew seems to be learning to distance himself from Llambias & Ashley.

They lie to the fans.

Pardew lied to the fans about Carroll and more recently with his 100% guarantee a striker would be “over the line” before the end of the last transfer window.

He needs to cut that out.

As for the actual performances and the squad:-

We’ve made some great signings and just as importantly got rid of some problematic players.

The style of play and man-management is down to Pardew and well done for that!

Fingers crossed about no injuries to Colo or Saylor.
    Willo is out for another 6 weeks!
    Perch (or imo Kadar) might have to play against Man U Man City & Chelsea …
    Failure to get a CB in the last window might ruin the good start.

Pardew is winning me over on the pitch.
    Needs to watch his words.
    Needs to remember he can’t trust Llambias & Ashley.

• Tiote4PM

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Great post Geoff777

Bang on.

HWTL

• ArtyH

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I hate liers! However I do not think A.P is a lier. If he is told by M.A or the board that something will happen it is his job to inform the fans, and to the best of his knowledge he is telling the truth. If it goes to rat shit after he speaks, and or it does not happen because of the board change things, that does not make A.P a lier.
    Come on lets get it right, he will only be informing us of what he is told to, IMHO I do not think the bloke is a lier, what would be the point? Say something that is not true ( and knowing it ) then be found out and incure the hate of the fans, do me a favour. The bloke is well educated and is doing a great job under dubious conditions dealing with our board, give the guy a break.

• EmeraldCityMagpie

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Pardew is absolutely fantastic, and we’re lucky to have him.

• G

Oct 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I didn’t want AP, but I wanted Jol even less. I’ve been wrong about managers before (Including CH, whom I thought would be a disaster). Glad to be proven wrong by AP. I said I would judge him come January, however given what he has already achieved, I am more than happy to give him my vote of confidence now, regardless of what happens between now and January. There is nobody I would rather see running the club than him at this moment in time.