Coloccini Close To Signing New Deal At Newcastle

The Daily Mirror is reporting that the Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini is close to signing a new deal at Newcastle.

Fabricio Coloccini – close to signing a new deal on Tyneside

Negotiations started last week after his Argentine pal Jonas Gutierrez signed on to stay on Tyneside for another four years.

And since Coloccini arrived at Newcastle three years ago, a lot has happened both on the upside and the downside, as far as his football career goes.

Fab had a difficult time adapting to English football when he first arrived in August of 2008, and Newcastle were surprisingly relegated for the first time ever from the Premier League.

But for the last two seasons and this season so far, Coloccini has been simply in terrific form for the Newcastle side, and took over the captaincy in July.

Coloccini  is now a cult hero on Tyenside, and there are various songs sung about him from the terraces by Newcastle’s fanatical fans.

This is what Coloccini had to say on Friday before the Wigan game about those songs and his hair:

“That is all good fun and makes me laugh,””I will never cut off my hair.”  “I had it short for a brief period in 2000, when I was with AC Milan. But I’m not going back to that, it was a one-off, a story that I hope won’t be repeated at Newcastle!”

“When I was there, the older players would often say to me, ‘Come on! Cut your hair, cut your hair!’”  “At one stage, Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Costacurta cut it for me – straight off with scissors.”

“I don’t think any of my current team-mates would do the same to me now! I will remind them I am captain!”  “A lot of South American players go for the long-hair look. It’s just the fashion in Buenos Aires.”

“I know that in the past a lot of people in England had a haircut like mine! The Beatles, as well.”  “When I came in the first year, times were tough, now it’s one of the best given the start we’ve had,”

“When I came here, I didn’t know what English football was like.”  “Every player who comes to England maybe needs six months to a year to get to know the league. The first year, I had a few problems because Spanish football is so different.”

“When we went down – a terrible experience – there were some offers to leave, but I wanted to help rebuild and the Championship was a good experience for me. I played, got confidence.”

“There have been a lot of changes in the team. The character is different.”  “Last year maybe when we conceded the first goal it was difficult to respond. Now, if that happens we keep trying, keep that winning mentality, one which might have been missing last year.”

“I think this season is like building a house. First you have to put the foundations in place.” “We have to first get to 43-44 points, and when we’ve done this, we can start thinking about other things. Hopefully with the good start the foundations are in place this season.”

Coloccini has settled well on Tyenside with his wife and two kids, and he hopes to pen a new deal within a week or two.

Alan Pardew, the Newcastle manager made a great choice of Fabricio as the new Newcastle captain,  to replace the departed Kevin Nolan in July, who couldn’t agree on a new contract to stay on Tyneside, and the Argentine has made a good job of leading the Newcastle side this season.

And not surprisingly Alan pardew is a great admirer of Coloccini as a footballer:

“He’s a Rolls-Royce player – and a Rolls-Royce person too,” “He’s a really nice fella.”

“I’d seen him play internationally a few times and a few times for Newcastle before I came here, but you never appreciate what sort of player they are until you have spent three weeks with them on the training ground.

“I was pleasantly surprised at what a hard-working, disciplined footballer he was.”  “This year he has been outstanding. I would definitely say he has been our best player up until this period.

“He’s probably unfortunate he isn’t getting selected for the national team.”

Alan also had high hopes on Friday that Colo would sign a new contract and stay at the famous Newcastle United club, and the only worry he had was if a bigger club became interested in the player.

This is what Alan said about Coloccini and his new contract yesterday:

“I have got to be honest, I think we are okay, that’s about the only sign I can give you,”

“You have got two parties here, you have got a club offering a contract to Colo, but really it’s about Colo. If he agrees to the contract, then all’s well and good.”

“It’s difficult because his agent is Argentina-based and doesn’t have particularly great English either, so we are waiting for him to come back across, and we think we can get the deal done.”

“If he takes the shine of Manchester United or Manchester City, then we will have a problem.” “But the more success we have, the more chances we have got of the player actually saying ‘I’ll stay’.”

“The financial position we are starting to get ourselves into gives us a chance to maybe compete a little bit stronger for those players who are threatened.”

“That’s why this season is very, very important.” “At football clubs, when you get the feeling we have at the moment, if we can keep that, then we are going to have a successful year, I don’t doubt it.”

But it seems to us that Colo is more than eager to sign a new deal and stay on Tyneside, and if he does that, it will be great news for Newcastle fans, and great news for Alan Pardew too.

And it will be another sign of more stability at Newcastle with most of heir top players signed on long term deals.

• AlwaysTOON

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM

First .. YAY

• the_besty_show

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM

weve gotta offer him the right money first, he aint gunna stay for £35k when hes already on like £80k

• davis_toons

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:01 AM

AP did a very good interview with BBC. Really understand whats he’s thinking now.

On players, managerment and how the club will be moving.

People talking abt Obtan shld understand more now.

He is a very young player that Man Utd have keep inside the “Cupboard” for too long and now we are trying to polish him up. This guy counld be a gold or a Silver, it just got rust after being keep out for so long.

But of course he needs to improve fast as well because we have better players waiting in the line! Tats gd news.

• davis_toons

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Stability – This is the word that we are asking all along.

• Thump

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:20 AM

I noticed something a few posts back that I think is worth a mention.

Some of us admitted that Stoke would likely be a more difficult test than a lot of games and somebody perked up with “lololol manu @ home iz hrdar thn stoke!!11!1!”. To whoever said that: Nobody is denying that the Premier League Champions is a more difficult game than Stoke “Long Ball” FC, but the point is I doubt any of us is really expecting to beat Man U (I’d settle for a draw right now if truth be told – against both Manchester sides) – Stoke, however, is winnable. See the difference? Premier League Champions who will happily hand a new a-hole to teams on their day vs. long ball extraordinaire’s.

For what it’s worth, I’m starting to worry if Pardew is suffering from “top four” syndrome. His mind games can be pessimistic at times (see: Spurs build up – and yes, I supported him through that realising it was just mind games to get the most of the lads). Hopefully it’s just me reading his words wrong, though.

• roshan MAGPIE

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:34 AM

I saw some where that liverfool want colo

• ToonLegend

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:38 AM

@ roshan post 6 yeah the bindippers supposedley want colo for 12 mill in january
    last week they wanted ryan taylor for 10 million
    next week it will probably be they want gutti and black and white home shirts for next season

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:56 AM

@Toonlegend.

Didn’t you hear, Puma and Liverflu are in negotiations to use any(if there are any) Newcastle Surplus shirts from the last few seasons as their next home kit. There was even talk about them possibly using the Newcastle Lingerie, if there werent enough kits. You know, for the more feminine players in their squad…..

• macn0ble (Finland)

Oct 22, 2011 at 8:05 AM

@ToonLegend

Thanks mate, it’s good to start a day with a proper laugh!

• kilcline

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Hope Daglish gets hit by a bus.

• magpie6699

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Off topic – but did anybody see the interview with Mrs Doubtfire? Compare it with Pards – what a difference. All broccoli -face could go on about was how the Mackems had finished above the Toon for 3 seasons in a row and that it was a long season, we would have a slide at some point blah blah… Nothing much about his team. Obviously a balanced personality – a chip on both shoulders!
    What is it about Mackems that they seem so fixated on being above the Toon. I am at the rivalry / banter end of the scale with a bit of an edge but not downright hatred. I even have ssome Mackem – supporting mates, but some of them are so rabid and blimkered that they would be happy to be relegated in 19th if we went down in 20th. Bizarre!

• LEROI

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM

6699 i used to work with a few makems as well and i noticed that it’s there be all & end all 2 finish higher than the toon. They knew they couldn’t win any cups or finish in a european spot (no ambition i say).They just devoted all there time to stealing toon songs and putting a crap makem spin on them and praying that they even finished 1 place higher than Newcastle wow what a life they live eh!

• magpie6699

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM

LEROI – you’d expect more from a PL manager though, wouldn’t you – he just sounds petty!

• LEROI

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM

he’s a pupil of the grande master of petty sad alex ferguson dragged brucie boy up in that way lol!

• geordiejamie89

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I’ve heard there was new deals coming up for Jonas, Fabricio and for Danny, and now Jonas has signed.
    Hopefully, Newcastle will see what’s important in the right order, and realise that Fabricio has been one of our best performers so far, and Alan will make sure this new deal gets dealt with. If we can keep the squad we have and make sure they’re all playing happy, then all we need to do is build by adding a couple new faces.