Alan Pardew Wants To Win Something At Newcastle

Newcastle continued to pile up the point in the league yesterday with a hard fought 1-0 win against Wigan at home.

Alan Pardew – wants to win something on Tyneside

Alan Pardew said it would be a tough game and he was right, and after 5 defeats on the trot before yeaterday’s game, you have to give credit to Wigan, for the way they came with a plan to attack Newcastle, and were the better side in the first half.

Wigan had their chances in yesterday’s game, and we could see why they have only scored once in their five away games in the league, as their strikers squandered the chances.

But Newcastle made it through to half time at -0-0, and when that happened you always have a decent chance with Newcastle, and so it was yesterday, with Ben Arfa coming on for Leon Best, and Newcastle looked much better.

And the Newcastle side were patient,  and waited until the 81 st minute for the winning goal, which was a beauty from Yohan Cabaye, and his first for the club.

Next up for Newcastle is a tough trip to Blackburn on Wednesday night, and a win in that game will see Newcastle through to the last eight of the competition.

Alan Pardew has talked before about trophies – those are things we haven’t won since way back in 1969.

And while he will bring in some fringe players at Blackburn, he will want to field a team that can win that game, and it would be sad if Newcastle lost because they played nowhere near their best side.

Blackburn are struggling already with relegation and are likely to field their strongest side, as relegated sides West Ham and Birmingham did last season, and both reached the semi-finals of the competition.

Indeed Birmingham are now in the Europa Cup for winning the Carling Cup last season,  and are doing well under new manager Chris Hughton.

This is what Alan Pardew said today about winning a trophy:

“It’s unbelievable this club hasn’t won a trophy for so long. I want to change that,”

“When I arrived here with the size of the club . . . if I left here and hadn’t won a trophy there would be part of me that would be disappointed.”

“Because I feel potentially we can, it’s big enough to.”  “We’ve got the crowd, we’ve got the finance, if we can get everything right – and we’ll need to get everything right, with a bit of luck – there’s a chance.”

“I was disappointed at West Ham I didn’t win a Cup, so why shouldn’t I be disappointed here?” “That’s how I’m thinking.  I’ve been at Wembley, I’ve won at Wembley – it’s a bloody nice feeling.

The Carling Cup this season is our best chance to win something, so we’d like to see a strong side on Wednesday evening,  but that doesn’t say Newcastle cannot play good players like Steve Harper, Davide Santon, Sylvain Marveuax, Dan Gosling and Ben Arfa at Blackburn, since these players all need a game.

Here’s the side we would start:

Harper
Santon Coloccini Taylor (S) Taylor (R)
Marveaux Gosling Guthrie Guetierrez
Ben Arfa
Ameobi

There’s 7 changes to the side that started the game yesterday.

What do you think, and what’s your team?

• curlywatts

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Defo start HBA, Marv and Santon like.

• roshan MAGPIE

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

think that we should play obertan and marveux in both wings and we should start best and ben arfa up front and we should play Gosling and guthre in cm

• Stuart

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:29 AM

As much as I want to see some of the other lads get a game I still think we should field our strongest team if AP is serious about winning a trophy.

I’d play the team that started yesterday except Santon for Raylor, Marv for Oba and HBA for Besty.

Give Gosling, Abeid and Strola some minutes off the bench.

The league cup is our best chance at a trophy this season we have really have to go for it!

• GeordieAnt

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM

One of the best things about the match other than the goal yesterday was to see the look of gratitude and happiness on Pardews face at hearing the fans chant “Alan Pardews Black and White Army” I’m glad to see that he is getting the gratitude and acceptance that he deserves

• magpie6699

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Hope he’s talking about winning a trophy and not winning at the Casino! (Only joking, I am warming to the guy and think he’s doing a great job after difficult circumstances – although sometimes his pronunciation and grammar makes me wince! Things like “we was” and “I fink” !)

• HaZ-NUFC

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM

elliot
    santon perch colo fegie
    gosling abedi
    sammy ben arfa marvuaux
    shola
    subs harris vuckiv, kadar, obertan

• beddersmag

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Aside from Ba’s recent goals can anyone tell me why it was best to make way for hba rather than him? He looked lazy and sluggish while bests all round game continues to improve and he works hard. do you think its because he was a pardew signing because that baffled me? worked out though so not too bothered….

• Stuart

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

@beddersmag – Best got booked in the first half and also hasnt been scoring the past few days.

As you said yourself Ba is scoring atm so its hard to take him off over Best.

• Stuart

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

*games not days lol.

• BigKirky

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Kluivert and Speedo on goals on Sunday!

• beddersmag

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Stuart

good point about booking but you could argue best needs a goal to keep his confidence high and keep him playing above himself. Could soon become a drought. Ba has been scoring but his all round game is like a disinterested Shola. Hba is not known for his graft so struck me as a slightly risky combo

• jakesome

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:30 PM

harp
    raylor saylor collo santon

tiote
    abeid gosling
    jonas marv
    ba/sammiobi
    with fergie, perch, elliot, guthrie, best, simpson and benny(on at half time) on the bench
    strong team with game changers on the bench

• BandW

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM

——————Krul——————
    Santon–Colo-STaylor–RTalyor
    —————Gosling—————-
    —————-Abedi—————–
    Obertan—-BenArfa–Marveaux
    —————–Best——————

Subs: Elliot, Simpson, Tiote, Guthrie, Ba, Cabaye, Shola

Blackburn may be struggling but they’re still a premier league side, we don’t want to send out a needlessly weak side.

• magpiebop

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM

V Blackburn
    4-4-1-1

Krul.
    Santon,STaylor,Collocini(c),Ferguson.
    SAMeobi,Gosling,Vuckic,Marveaux.
    Ben Arfa.
    Ameobi.

Subs- Harper, RTaylor, Kadar, Abeid, Guthrie, Lovenkrands, Hooper/Campbell.

Worried he might play Smith after naming him on the bench against Wigan!

Still 25/1 to win Carling Cup, get on it!

• Sir Alan

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Guti should be rested. I would rather see abeid, vuckic and gosling in the middle.

• Munster Mag

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Pardew is , to my mind, targetting this competition more than the league, and will send out as strong a side as possible. So there is no chance Gosling will play, and the only reason the overrated Obertan will play is because he is defensively strong. Very disappointed by him so far, but I’m far from convinced that we researched him as well as we research the continetal buys. For me, the purchase of Obertan came immediately after the chat between Fergie and Pardew re Twitter. Far too co-incidental IMO.