Cabaye – My Move To Newcastle Is A Dream I Don’t Want To End

Yohan Cabaye is a very popular player on Tyneside, and that started way back on 10th June, when he was signed by the Newcastle club.

Yohan Cabaye runs to the bench after scoring

In his first interview at that time, which was in French, the 25 year-old,  who is of Vietnamese descent through his maternal grandmother, talked in lyrical terms about the Newcastle club, and some of us were surprised at just how highly he rated Newcastle.

And then of course, when the other French players arrived in the summer, they also talked in glowing terms about the club on Tyneside.

At least we know the French players now at Newcastle really  want to be on Tyneside, and certainly Newcastle’s status and reputation in France at the moment is simply sky high, and the fact that Newcastle are 4th top of the Premier League doesn’t hurt either.

This is what Yohan told the Newcastle press today:

“ “My move here has been a dream and I do not want the dream to finish!” “It was not my best goal but it is in the top five.

“It was a good goal, and I like to shoot like this, so I am very happy.” “After I scored, the crowd and the players celebrated. It was amazing.”

“I am always very happy – it is my first goal and it was a winning goal.” “When I was on the pitch, I did not understand what the fans were singing, but now I know.

“I am very happy to hear that, and I thank the fans.” “When I am on the pitch, I give everything for the fans.”

Former Lille star  midfielder Cabaye scored 39 goals and had 35 assists for Lille, during his career there from 2004 through last season, and so far he has one goal and two assists in 10 appearances for the Tyneside club.

Yohan is very popular at Newcastle, and he is yet another super buy for the club, and was only €5M – and we wonder how much would he be worth in the transfer market today?

Comments welcome.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Everyone knows his name a legend is born

• G

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I don’t want to know what he is worth in monetary value Ed. He is priceless to the team though.

• dublin mag steve

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:39 PM

jesus ed dont start puttin a price on him fatman will cash in for 40 mill off liverfools

• toon_dog

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:40 PM

wt were they singing for cabaye like ? wasn’t at the match so didnt hear DAM YOU OVERTIME !!

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Steve > was just going to mention that, Liverpool will probably place a bid of 50M in January!!!!!

• AMEOBI

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Has a true heart for football, seems to be more than happy with Newcastle

• paulparker

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM

class player. but what’s this ‘dreamboat’ stuff that the chronicle keeps spouting all about. That’s just embarassing

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM

@4 the albert and robert song

• loztoon

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM

this lad is gonna be as great as ginola.whatever we think he’s worth it still won’t be enough..utterly priceless

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Team vs Blackburn

———————-Krul
    Santon—–Perch—–Colo——Ferguson
    ————-Guthrie—Gosling
    Ben arfa———Abeid——–Marveaux
    ———————-Best

• studsy

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:00 PM

@10 Toon_Tom

Perch at CB scares me….

• Allez la MAGS

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

As an ex pat MAG living in norther France I am not suprised that Cabaye has settled in well on tyneside. The Nord area of France has a very similar history the the Nort East of England with the same culture almost. I have a season ticket to Lillie and can only say they are a worse team without him and Joe Cole is no replacement.
    He will walk through walls for us. Allez la TOON

• AshtreeKid

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM

toon_tom looks ok to me although I think he’ll play elliot

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Elliot
    santon perch/kadar colo fergie
    marv gosling guthrie jonas
    HBA
    best

has to be a strong team imo if we want a chance in this cup now the team has to get stronger every round

HWTL

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM

haha, i have to agree Studsy, however I think that even if we played you at CB, Colo is there to clear any danger!!! And we have to give him a run out at some point (squad happiniess and all that)

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Ashtree > yeah sorry, MY BAD, he will play Elliot!!!

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I would rather play Kadar at CB, however I dont think AP will give him a shot just yet!

• LEROI

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM

What about a Cabaye song to the tune of ”becoz i got high” ”this game game coulda been a draw but we got Cabaye” ”who’s gonna play that ball straight thru? Cabaye!” ” Toons gonna win the lot n i no why! Hey hey! coz of Cabaye coz of Cabaye coz of Cabaye!!”

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Toon-tom i reckon he wont play kadar or abeid but santon marv and HBA must play get some game time ready for mon

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Ive got a feeling obertan will play as his best game so far was against these

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Elliot
    santoon perch colo fergie
    ober gosling guthrie marv
    HBA
    best

• studsy

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Yeh i agree with Kadar over Perch. However poor i am as a CB(im a RM) im positive I could put in a better shift on the pitch than Perch!

Hope our scumberland spy Bruce “see’s some quality” in the kid, and signs him for 5mil in January 😀

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:15 PM

1982 > Santon, Marv and HBA should definitely start, with HBA getting a full 90mins a must! But i would like to see Abeid aswel as he looks awesome. Played brilliant against Forest and his 2 goals for the reserves last week were awesome.

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Studsy > i think Liverpool may put a cheaky 25M bid in for Perch in January!!!

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Tom i would like abeid to play and start getting game time for the first team aswell i reckon he will come off the bench

• studsy

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Oh, i forgot Kadar is at hudds now isnt he? Guess we have no choice but perch…

Elliot
    Santon Perch Colo Fergie

Marv Gosling Abeid Vuckic
    HBA
    Best
    Wouldnt be surprised with AP’s words about smith if he gets a start inplace on Abeid…

• Toon_Tom

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

i other news > Open Training session this Friday @ St James’. May have to put in an emergency holiday with work!!!

• wynsleap

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:20 PM

That goal was an absolute pearler from Cabaye but don’t think we should be going too overboard at the moment as his displays have been good to very good but not yet brilliant.
    I feel he has a lot to offer creatively going forward but he often sits too deep with Tiote.
    Still think, however, that there’s a lot more to come from him when he really settles and when Tiote gets back to last seasons commanding displays to give him more licence to get forward.

• eaststandgeordie1982

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

He got more forward with HBA on the pitch best team to play
    marv tiote jonas
    cabaye HBA
    ba

• LEROI

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

No feed back on my master piece of a football chant? Ok fine i’ll repost my pretty decent experimental starting 11 for blackburn on wednesday.

…………………Krul (coz elliot is dodgy)………………..

Santon colo (perch=dodgy) kadar fergy

Marveux abeid goz sammy

HBA

Best

• studsy

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM

@27 Wyn – ive noticed that too mate. The whole team seems to be 5-10yds closer to our own goal than last season. Agree that Tiote and Cabaye are nowhere near their peaks this season yet. Maybe November will help step them up a bit 😛

• Bao Zheng

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:26 PM

What scares me is that we may make 8 or 9 changes for a match we really want to win. Some changes ok, Marveaux for Obertan no risk, same Santon for Simpson, maybe have to replace Saylor’s beak, that’s all, sub HBA on for Best/Ba as and when, sub superman off for Abeid / Gosling after they have given up. Winning is about winning not giving the lads a charity run out.

• Thump

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:34 PM

His move has been a dream (boat).

For when hainsey gets back: not bad articles but I’m not sure what I’m reading. Like, are you reporting or are you blogging? Opinion pieces are fine but they really should be thought out otherwise they’ll turn into contradictions given the roller coaster that is being a Newcastle United fan.

btw loving the fro.

• Willo

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Guys, can we go a little easier on Perch please? Sure the whole 5 bookings in 5 games last season didn’t help but he’s put in some good games for the reserves at CB so far and he’s the only one to come in unless you want to bring in Kadar from the cold.

• Thump

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

@wynsleap: He always sits in and about the halfway point mate. I watched a few Lille games when I heard we were in for him and I downloaded a load of other games and did a bit of Dennis Wise scouting. He’s a traditional play maker, in a similar style to Barton in his pomp, and given that we build from the back, it suits him perfectly. Also keep in mind that he and Tioté often switch roles, so Tioté goes up to attack while Cabaye sits deep and readies himself to collect the spillover and vice verse.

Also keep in mind this is his first season and he’s still undoubtedly adjusting to the pace of the Premiership and English football in general. Give him a chance because I swear he made Hazard look even better than he actually is. (Not saying he’s a bad player by any means but Cabaye added the extra flourish imo.)

• Thump

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:42 PM

@Willo: Aye Kadar will do me.

• ash1001

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Change of Subject – guess what:-
    Stroller is out injured AGAIN, it really is laughable, this time its going to be 4 to 6 weeks.
    Not sure how to take AP’s comment “That’s a blow to us. He felt something after about three mins of coming on, but still played on which just goes to show you what sort of a character he is.
    “He’ll be a loss to us and I think our fans will see that now – how important he is when he’s not there.”
    If AP had been around supporting the toon as long as most of us had, he would see that this is the normal pattern of things as far as Stroller is concerned.

• roblee7

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Cabaye Baby Baby Cabayeee, Baby Cabaye!! haha, know its rubbish, its an old song, dont know who sang it…think it might have been the bay city rollers…

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Hope pardew plays with Cabaye and Abied or Gosling in the middle. Would be a good chance for 1 of them to show they can do a job while mr.T is at the ACON

Defence i would hope he rests taylor and 1 of the full backs to play santon.

Marveaux and HBA could both do with some game time and jonas could do with a break having started every game this season.

Oh aye Krul has to start aswell

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Did anyone hear that interview that Pards gave when he was talkin about the youngsters at the club and he said that Shane Ferguson has all the makings of a top LB and that people see Fergy as a winger but thats not how he sees him. Thought it was interesting to know that thats where Pards is gonna play him.