Sammy Ameobi One of The Bright Youngsters On Tyneside

Sammy Ameobi is a player likely to see some action in the Carling Cup 4th round tie at Blackburn Rovers tonight.

Sammy Ameobi – after scoring great winner at Scunthorpe

Sammy is one of Newcastle’s many bright young stars, and he has so far played 5   times for the club, with one amazing goal – the winner at Scunthorpe United two months ago on the 25th August –  in the second round of the Carling Cup.

Sammy also made a substitute appearance in the 3rd round 4-3 win at Nottingham Forest, but that’s the last action he has seen in the Newcastle first team, with Alan Pardew tending to pick an unchanged side in the league, and fringe players getting their chances as substitutes.

Alan Pardew has talked about how well grounded the two Ameobi brothers are at Newcastle, and he puts that down to the parents, whom he has met and he credits them for the two brothers being such good characters both on and off  the field of play.

Sammy is of  course is a smashing lad, and he shows tremendous promise as a player, and seems to possess more skills than his brother Shola, who is over 10 years older than Sammy and has played in the Newcastle first team since the great Bobby Robson gave him a chance back in 2000.

And Newcastle are starting to do as well as they did under Bobby, and there’s an unexpected excitement surrounding Newcastle United this season,  with the lads being 4th in the Premier League, and just amazingly a single point out of second place right now.

With the team doing so well and competition for places being tougher than they’ve been for many many seasons, Sammy has to work hard for his chance on Tyneside.

Sammy had this to say today:

“It makes things a bit harder for me to get a game but I want the best for the club,”   “I’m not just thinking about getting a run-out, I want the best for Newcastle as well.”

“You’d never have thought we’d still be unbeaten in all competitions. It’s been a great start for the club and everyone’s playing well at the moment so you really have to fight for your place. I’m looking forward to it.”

“In the Carling Cup you’re going to give younger players the opportunity to show what they can do.” “The mmanager’s given me that opportunity in the past and hopefully I will get it again at Blackburn.”

“Hopefully I can do what I do. For me it’s about hard work. I’d like to think I’ve got the talent and ability to be a good player but the effort you put in, that’s what I’m working on at the moment.”

“Shola’s a massive part of my life,”  “He’s been a massive inspiration on and off the field. He always keeps me in check when I’m not doing things right. If needs be he gives me the odd telling off. “

“He’s harsher with me than the coaching staff are. He’s been a massive help to me.”  “Having played my first game at the end of last season I was always going to be really excited to come back after pre-season.”

“Hopefully it’s going to be a really good season.”  “I get recognized a lot more now but I’m not going to let it get to my head. I’m still the same lad I was before I made my debut.”

“The manager’s shown great faith and trust in me to put him in his squad over the past months. He’s given me that leeway to just go out without any responsibility and express myself and stuff, which is good.”

“The manager’s very good at making you feel a part of it.”  “It’s been amazing,”  “We started off so well and we’re in dreamland at the moment. Hopefully we can keep that going. It’s great to be part of.”

With Sammy coming through so well this year, he along with other top young talent like Abeid, Vuckic, Santon and Gosling are some of the reasons why the first team squad is so much stronger than it was last season.

Newcastle do have Cheick  Tiote and possible Steven Taylor missing for tonight’s game through injury, but the squad has also been able to stay fit and that has allowed Alan Pardew to pick unchanged side.

But if there are injuries, which of course there will be as a matter of course as the season progresses, players like Sammy Ameobi can get the job done for the club,  just like he did at Scunthorpe with just a tremendous winning goal in extra time. Have another look at Sammy’s great goal.

Maybe Sammy, who doesn’t turn 20 until next May Day, can do a similar thing for the side tonight?

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Any links for the B’burn game?

• cyprus

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I must admit that the whatever cup doesn’t enthuse me. It will be ‘cool’ if we win it, what with not much silverware recently (we have a couple which I won’t mention), but recent winners (Boro, Birmingham) would give it away to be in our place. Bottom line, would take a top 4-6 over that, any day. AP, use this to get match practice, competition and I think a win, by playing our excellent fringe players who are Very Good in any case. You know the players I mean, there’s at least 5 of them who deserve a game. Rest our hard workers (e.g. Jonas, Cabaye, Tiote, Ba etc.) have them on the bench if things go wrong.

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Also, my team for tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~Santon~~~~~~Perch~~~~~~~Colo~~~~~~Ferguson~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Abeid~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~Marveux~~~~~~~~~Ben Arfa~~~~~~~~~~Guttierez~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Best~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subs:
    Elliot
    Kadar
    Raylor*
    Gosling
    Sammy
    Obertan
    Ba

*placed raylor on the bench as i feel he should be rested, after doing a brilliant job at left back.

*Perch is really the only other EPL (we are playing an EPL team) experienced defender who can play CB, since Willo is injured, and Saylor sustained a broken nose on Sunday. (Don’t take any risk’s with saylor)

* Tiote picked up a knock, no point risking him. Rest him for the game on monday.

• Toon_Tom

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I think that winning a cup is our best chance of securing a place in Europe(a) next year so i would definitely go for it!

• Toon_Tom

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Super Simo > i think Oba will keep his place on the RW and Marv will get a shot on the left in place on Jonas

• Stuart

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Can’t understand a fan not arsed about winning a cup like.

As much as we’re flying high atm there will be a point where we start to slip down the table abit. I’m hoping to finish top 8 this season.

As Toon Tom said, the cup is our best chance of europe next imo so we have to go all out, its a winnable cup and it’d finally give the cleaners a trophy to polish!

• Toon_Tom

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Stuart > good man!!!!!! 🙂

• GeordieToon89

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

this is still an important cup to win it gets you into europe if your not already in and winning this would give our City such a massive lift and would give the club also a huge lift that weve finally won a trophy, yes the bigger clubs dont care about it but well doesnt mean we shouldnt end of the day its a trophy and a chance to win and the players to realise what its like to get to wembley and win cant believe some fans on here dont care about winning trophies.. we could finish 8th and win this and we still get the same as what we would finishing 5th only we get a trophy for the club and players winners medals so whats the problem ano what a would prefer

• GeordieToon89

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

didnt realise how many of the top teams are still in the cup: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, City, Liverpool are all still in

• Toon_Tom

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I understand the ethos of Manchester(s) Chelski etc not bothering with this and concentrating on the league, but there is a very slim chance that we will remain within the top 5/6 come the end of the season. So, winning this would be MASSIVE for our club and our players, would secure Europa and give us an epic day to remember at Wembley!!! NUF SED

• SPRECKS123

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

heading to only my second newcastle game 2nite and have been supporting them for over 15 years, first game was the 5-1 hammering of sunderland last year 🙂 hopefully the same again 2nite, wishful thinking though lol bad thing is i could only get a ticket with the blackburn fans ( i think anyway) gonna be a fun night 🙂

• meringue

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM

can’t see pardew making too many changes for this one. except for the enforced change in centre mid because of Tiote’s injury, probably only santon, marveaux and ben arfa the only changes from sat

• geoff777

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Elliott~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~Santon~~~~~~Perch~~~~~~~Colo~~~~~~Ferguson~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Abeid~~~Gosling~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~Sammy~~~~~~~~~Ben Arfa~~~~~~~~~~Marveaux~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lovenkrands~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Toon_Tom

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM

geoff > i hope Elliot doesnt start tonight, he looks a bit flakey imo. If we are playing Perch (also flakey) id rather have King Krul between the posts to be honest

• tunneytoon

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I hope we Play our strongest possible team, obviously making changes such as tiote because he’s injured but fielding youngsters may not be good enough. We have just edged through the last two rounds against weaker teams.

• studsy

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

@ Toon_Tom – We could have Krul, Harper, Forster, Sodeberg and Alnwick in goal, and Perch would still let 3 goals in…

• Toon_Tom

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

studsy > hahahah, that is true

• LEROI

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I for one want us to win the cup coz it’ll end all the years without a trophy(championship winners trophys don’t count),it’ll get us back into europe and give our players winners medals & something more to be proud about playing for Newcastle!

• studsy

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Still would rather see Kadar start. I thought he was at Hudd’s on loan, but he captained our reserves other day to a nice 3-2 win over liverpool. Play well, along with a quality performance from Vuckic!

• studsy

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Totally agree LEROI – Plus, if we can add a top 6 Finish to the Cup win, ive got a feeling Messi would definately be interested in making the switch 😉

• niafron

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Bonjour messieurs.

A quick comment about Cabaye’s word. I don’t know what is the reaction in England, but for the french press, this is some positives comments about the way the players are managed in England.

Especially, we in France, understood than Cabaye is glad to see the freedom granted to the players.
    He emphasize about the fact players are treated as adult and free to do waht they want as long as they are professionals on the pitch.

So, this is a very different interpretation it seem.

• geoff777

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

@Toon_Tom

Elliot was poor in his first game.
    I think Pardew will play him just to get his confidence up in case Krul gets injured and Elliot is needed.

• LEROI

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM

i’m gonna get back to the article. Sammy Ameobi is a player in my experience that has thrilled geordies of all ages! Just after a conversation about the toon with 70 yr old uncle in which he was telling me how much he wanted to see him play again after his performance in his last game,I was in the club watching the derby and a guy in there who was about 47/48 was itching for us to score early and he was keep saying ”why isn’t Sammy on, why isn’t Sammy on?”when i told him he wasn’t even on the bench he was infuriated.=D I’m younger than both of these guys and i want him to get more of a chance to! He’s young, he’s got skill, pace, power, he loves the toon as much as we do and He certainly know’s where the back of the net is! Hell the lad single-handedly caused a fricken riot(i don’t support rioting tho!) when he scored that awsome goal against Darlo! GIVE SAMMY A CHANCE early and he could become one of them amazing young players like messi, ronaldo or a more down to earth example like an Owen still only 18 at the time and he set the world on fire!

• GeordieToon89

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM

niafron that is totally right mate he basically says its too strict in france and cant do anything without being manned by someone, whereas here you can finish the game relax and enjoy yourself providing you do justice on the pitch