Taylor In New Mask – Expected To Play At Stoke City

Steven Taylor is ready to play at Stoke City on Monday night in his newly fitted mask.

Steven Taylor – seen in his newly fitted mask
An American specialist came over this week to fit the mask for Steven,  with Jeremy Murray coming over from Detroit early in the week, to get the job done.

And Steven has also had his nose reset by a specialist, which he says was bent all over the place – the nose that is. 😀

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew says the player is ready to play in the tough game at Stoke City on Monday evening, and will be expecting some rough treatment from the Stoke players.

Steven is writing a blog on the Newcastle site, and he had this to say today about his week:

“Last Monday, I went to the hospital because I wanted it done sooner rather than later. I just wanted to get it out of the way and get the surgery sorted to straighten the nose, because it was bent all over the place.”

“Since then I’ve been taking it easy and getting the mask fitted ahead of our game on Monday, which I’m determined to play in if I can.”  The mask offers me protection because at the moment, the nose is fixed and back to how I want it to be.”

“The specialist, Jeremy Murray, came from Detroit and I’ve got to thank him for coming over here at short notice.”  “He came and spent a few days here, meeting the club doctor Paul Catterson and myself and then taking me to a place to get it all sorted and fitted for me.”

“It’ll just give me that extra bit of confidence that I need. The fact that it’s been fitted for my face makes it much more comfortable.” “I needed it done and I wanted it done properly. This is the best guy around and he’s worked with top athletes.”

“It was him who sorted Shola Ameobi out last season too and it worked for him.”  “I’ve spoken to Shola about it and that’s given me confidence that it should work very well. Of course, it’ll take a bit of getting used to because it fits so tightly to my face and it’s not the most comfortable thing.”

“But I’ll see how it goes. I’ve just got to get used to it, I guess.”  “At Stoke, there’s a fair chance the ball will be up in the air quite a bit but the thought of ducking out headers won’t even cross my mind. I’ll attack everything that’s in front of me, and even in their penalty area I won’t be afraid to put my head in.”

“If it breaks again, I’ll go and fix it again! I’m not bothered about that. I’ve got a good few years left with this nose so if it gets broken, it gets broken – and at least I’ve got a top surgeon to fix it again!”

“Our unbeaten run ended at Blackburn on Wednesday night but it might not be a bad thing for us. It keeps us on our toes and makes us all the more determined to get back to winning ways and not suffer another defeat.”

“We’ve got to pick ourselves up because this is a different game and it’s live on television. And as much as we’re aware of the threat Stoke possess, they’re going to have to be worried about what we’ve got to offer.”

“The players we’ve got in attack can hurt them and I think they’re going to be more worried about us than we are about them, because we’re going to continue to play like we have been all season.”

We like the bit about If it breaks again, I’ll go and fix it again!  – but it shows just how important Steven is for the side this season, after not playing much at all last season.

Not only is Steven playing near his very best form, but he also has that determination and spirit,  whenever the local lad plays for the Newcastle side.

While Steven says he’s not too bothered about it, he must have a decent chance of getting called up for England, and even has a chance of being in the squad for the European Championships next summer.

That’s especially true if England captain John Terry gets into hot water yet again – this time for the racial comments he is alleged to have made to Anton Ferdinand – in the QPR game last Sunday.

And we have to think that Terry has a decent chance of being found guilty, because when the alleged remarks are being made in the game, Sky Sports covers up his lips, so you cannot make out what he’s saying .

That tells us you can lip read what he’s saying, and it’s alleged he used the “n” word.  If that’s proved true and he’s found guilty,  he should be banned – and for a long time too.

There’s no place in this world for that kind of  barbaric racial behavior.

• ilovetoon8788

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Saylor needs to be fit and ready for Stoke. He’s extremely crucial. Ben Arfa and Santon still got a long way to before breaking into the first team. Not ready yet.

• magpiebop

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM

It’s good to see so many good players fighting for first team places, it’s just a shame centre defence and goalkeeper aren’t included!

• magpiebop

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Tim Krul, Steven Taylor and captain Fabricio Collocini are our most important players this season. We can cope wii injuries all over the pitch except for these three!

• joe

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I really dont understand why teams fear going to stoke so much. Ok they’re physically strong and they rough you up quite a bit, but who among us hasnt played against brutes before! I think we need to kick them around a bit just to show that we’re no pushovers, even before they start trying to impose themselves physically, then let our football shine through. Skill always trumps athleticism!

• Geordie-Jake

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Stokes team on paper is utter shite, wud b funny if delap broke 1 of his arms

• Davies

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Steven Taylor is the club’s most improved player. The last couple of seasons I’ve preferred Williamson, but this season Taylor’s been phenomenal and Willo’s going to have to work very hard to get near the starting XI again.

• Davies

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Oh, and Stoke may be shite on paper, but they’re a pain in the ass. We could easily get dicked by these boys if we don’t play to our own strengths.

• Stuart

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM

completely agree on Saylor and Willo like Davies.

• ToonDownSouth

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:39 AM

When Tayls came in last season and scored 3 in 3, you knew he was up for it!

• LEROI

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:36 PM

You sure that pic is Steve Taylor? It could be Cody Rhodes from wwe with that mask! Any way hope he does play monday! stoke beat us twice last season, both times it was because our defence was weakend by injury! Now lets see if they can do when we field our 1st choice defence!

• Scottishtoon95

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM

steven looks like the phantom of the opera in that pic. lol
    Geordie-Jake
    they’re prob insured for millions. :p

• Steve_48

Oct 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Even with the mask he’s a ugly tw@, so says the oil painting

• cupiddstunt

Oct 29, 2011 at 7:50 PM

To be honest Ed I am not a great believer in this Terry racism claim.

I am a Byker boy born and bred and from Corsican parentage, I have a Pakistani son in law and I regularly hear my daughter call her husband a “daft fat paki” and often she will turn to her 2yr old daughter and say something along the lines of “ what do you think? Your dads just a daft paki isn’t he“ and there is not an ounce of racism in my daughter.

Racism is not in words or phrases but is in the attitude of the person, the tone of voice and in the intent of the words.

Not the words themselves.

• giimps

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Most of our team are over 6 foot so stoke will have a game on their hands.
    I can see us winning by the odd goal and going 3 pts clear of 4th.
    It wont be an easy game but if they do as they normally do and try and play football 1st half then resort to hoofball when it dont work, we should have enough pace to do them.
    I hope We score 1st to open them up

• giimps

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM

As for the Racism by terry, IMHO whatever was said, It will have been meant in that game, Chelski were furious that a lower side was getting the right decisions going for them, theyre not used to it.
    The menace that was in the players faces as they surrounded the ref on loads of occasions was plain to see, in those situations, when a man is at his worst, you see the true self, none of societies rules to hide behind.
    His father is a drug dealer, his brother caused a fellow footballer to top himself and he himself was not satisfied with the many thousands he gets a week, he was still renting out his box at chelski for thousands per game to the highest bidder.
    Do I think Terry is capable of racism ,Too bloody right he is, his own family have been shown to have no morals so why should he differ?
    Just my opinion though