If Newcastle Remain Unbeaten They Will Go Third Top Tonight

Alan Pardew is under no illusions that tonight’s game at Stoke will be a difficult one for his Newcastle side.

Danny Guthrie – likely to get start again tonight

We know that Steven Taylor will be returning to the side to play in his new mask to protect his broken nose, but central midfield dynamo Cheick Tiote is still a doubt with his injured knee, and we have a feeling that Alan Pardew will stick with Danny Guthrie tonight, because of his good form in the Blackburn game.

Alan admitted Cheick couldn’t have done any better than Danny at Blackburn, and of course the Shrewsbury-born midfielder also scored a great goal late in the game, to start the amazing Newcastle comeback in injury time.

Alan complimented the play of Danny Guthrie in the tough Blackburn defeat:

“I don’t think Cheick could have done much more than Danny Guthrie on the night, he was brilliant,”

“To come into the team without having featured and score a wonder goal too, hats off to him.”

You really cannot ask any more of the fringe players other than when they do get their chance they take it, and play very well, and that’s exactly what Danny Boy did last Wednesday, and as Alan quite rightly says – hats off to him.

And Danny’s contract runs out next June, so he’ll be trying to get a contract extension to stay at the resurgent Newcastle, and certainly performances like the one he put in at Blackburn can only help him get a new contract on Tyneside.

Leon Best is also out tonight with his tonsillitis, and we think either Ben Arfa or Peter Lovenkrands will come into the side to partner big Demba  Ba front.

Of course Newcastle do not have happy memories of the Britannia Stadium from last season because that was the game Newcastle surprisingly lost 4-00 after going into the game in good form.

So that’s at least one reason why the lads will be trying to bring all 3 points tonight and go 3rd top of the league in the process.

It’s important that Newcastle maintain their good form and his position in the league, because we must stand a good chance to get into Europe based on our league position, but that’s assuming our good form will continue.

Alan Pardew has no illusions about the game tonight:

“It’s such a difficult place to go and try to get a result,”  “They play with two wingers and two strikers and there’s not many in the Premiership who do that.”

“They have a stadium that makes a lot of noise and they have a pitch that suits the

“It’s a small pitch and a lot of things come in your box.” “You’ve got to be big and strong and be able to cope with them.”

“Tony’s done a terrific job – and his staff – in targeting players that have taken the club forward every year, and again they look stronger this year.”

“So it’s going to be a big test for every team that goes there.”

It’s always a difficult game at Stoke, and a physical one too, but Newcastle go into this game tonight knowing that if they can remain unbeaten in the league,  they will finish up 3rd top of the Premier League, and that has to be a great incentive for the Newcastle side.

They will go for it tonight, that’s for sure.

Howay The Lads!!

• GeordieToon89

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:23 AM

Guthrie wasnt training the other day like at the open day so wouldnt be suprised if he’s injured again

• AMEOBI

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I don’t care who he starts, as long as everyone gives it their all, I’m happy

Ba and best would be my strike-force, obertan for ben arfa at half time

• GeordieToon89

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM

AMEOBI – Best is injured mate well technically injured he’s got tonsilitus

• AMEOBI

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Aye mate tell me, only read it a few mins ago haha what an egg I am! Well arfa then ba? 😉

• toonashwin

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Begovic is impressed with Pardew.
    words of Begovic:
    “Look at the players who have come in,” Potters goalkeeper Begovic said. “I mean Yohan Cabaye, he is a French regular now who has bags of talent and he has come into the side and been fantastic.

“Demba Ba is a very powerful and dangerous striker and the likes of Cheick Tiote in the middle, he is also a very good footballer.

HWTL i m loving it
    Pardew!!
    !!!! Pardew !!!Pardew!!1

• Indian Magpie

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:37 AM

SCFC 2 NUFC 3

damm icut my nails yesterday, hope dont eat skin of fingers

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Hoping for the win! A point is a more likely result !

If we play the way we know we can, then we have a chance! Even Manure had problems at their place !

HWTL !

• Stuart

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Haha just checked back over the last few articles.

@Catchy – I dont agree with you whatsoever about Obertan being rubbish. I have every faith that he will come good eventually, hes only 22 and doesnt have that much first team experience with us or at manure for that matter.

The one and only reason I would drop him for Marv tonight is because Marv looks to have that bit between his teeth and would be class tonight.

You might write off toon players 9 games into their career mate but I don’t.

Anyway, tonight, cheeky 2-1 win at the death? I’m going to miss the match unfortunately as ive got work =/ hopefully the pub won’t be too busy so I actually get a chance to look at the tv screen.

• WWJBD

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Well personally I am hoping Stoke are doing some squad rotation as they have a Europa match to head off to after us then Bolton at the weekend

We could have a weakened Stoke side hopefully other than that I wont put my name to any prediction for the final score cos I havent got a damn clue

• WWJBD

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Oh and for the team sheet surprised people arent putting either Obertan or Marv in behind Ba

Yes HBA needs games and all that but he didnt do much against Stoke last season when fully fit and now he is very rusty….just a thought. Personally I dont care about who is in the line up they will all be looking to win

• AMEOBI

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Stuart, you work in horden comrades? Haha, with Obertan people expected miracles becuase Fergie signed him..

• Stuart

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Horden comrades =S lol.

Obertan is still really young like, I think people forget that because he signed for manure so long ago. As this season goes on and next season, the more game time he gets the more confident he’ll be and he’ll play better as a result.

That said I’d still like to see Marv start today.

• Indian Magpie

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:53 AM

@WWJBD

Knowing pardew he will go with BA and Lovenkrands, rest being the same. i personally think we will win if pardew doesnot go with his hatches battened

• AMEOBI

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Oh wey could of been that Stuart 😉

Happy with whoever he starts

• WWJBD

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Id be quite happy with Lovenkrands starting tbh, good hard worker and accurate with shots

• gorgonzola

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:01 AM

wwJBD

I also agree…he is I dont know why he is under so much flak…..good pacey striker…

• WWJBD

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Yeah exactly mate, Stoke defenders are very good but they are slow and two pacey strikers like Ba and Lovenkrands going straight for them with Guti and Obertan/Marv bombing at them from the wings might unsettle them….also might not like they are very good haha

• connor_nufc

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:14 AM

best isnt out , hes playing . he was on the radio yesterday

• Twatter

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:17 AM

@WWJBD

Why would Stoke rest players for Europa League? If anything it would be the other way round, mate.

• WWJBD

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I dunno mate they are enjoying their Europa adventure plus they have Bolton at the weekend which they will be looking to win.

For us I would say they would be happy to draw or see us as a easy win. Backline will be strong but wingers and strikers may be rested who knows haha I can hope for it 🙂

• Twatter

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:30 AM

I hope so too, but I don’t see them shrinking away from this. I’m really worried we’ll lose tonight lads, I’ll try not to jinx it. Just saying.

• WWJBD

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM

It will be a very tough match but at the end of the day the best team will win and if we come out and play to our potential we will give them a hell of a game….if we play like we did against QPR and Wigan they will wee all over us

Haha I love supporting NUFC

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:36 AM

With the right attitude the lads will win this!

They were unlucky at Ewood park last week!

Can,t wait for tonights game!

• Sir Alan

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM

If Guthrie and Lovernkrands start tonight we lose the game, simple. We need Tiote to get anything out of the game.

• Stuart

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Miserable sod arent you Sir Alan!

• hdavid23

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I think, as people still call us a lucky but weak team, and everyone says we’re definitely gonna lose tonight coz even MU couldn’t win there, the lads are gonna be extra motivated to show we’re one of the best teams, and beat the shit out of Stoke.

• Munster Mag

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Obertan will play tonight due to his size and strength. I’m beginning to get concerned about Ben Arfa to be honest. Anyone agree?

• toonincheek

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Munster Mag – give Ben Arfa a bit more time before you get worried. It’s early days, all things considered.

I reckon Ba and Lover will start tonight. We need to match them for work rate and physicality. Maybe Ben Arfa can come on with 10-15 minutes to go and turn the game if its level or we are a goal down.
    If we are a goal up, I don’t see many subs.