LLambias And Ashley Starting To Do Things Right At Newcastle

Well there seems to be some good things happening at Newcastle these days, and one of them, is that Managing Director Derek Llambias now seems fully behind the players.

Ashley and LLambias – more in tune with the players

Steven Taylor has talked about today, and certainly the squad is showing some of the best team spirit we’ve seen at Newcastle for a long long time.

And now the Board is also getting in on the act, and Derek LLambias even joined the squad for a Chinese meal last month, as a sign of the camaraderie that now exists at the Tyneside club.

Add to that the fact that Freddy Shepherd yesterday said that it’s time for Newcastle fans to get fully behind Mike Ashley – and what’s the world coming to?

Of course, we have to admit that making such a great start to the season, and currently being 3rd joint top of the Premier League has helped, and helped a lot.

Steven Taylor admits things were difficult between the Board and the players at the beginning of the season:

“When you look back at the start of the season, it was difficult,” “There was a separation between the squad and Chairman Llambias, but the main focus now is that he’s been straight on our side from day one, since before pre-season.”

“He keeps everyone together, he sorted out the problem we had with bonuses, he leaves the gaffer to do his job and there’s been no hassles.”

“We’ve been for meals when the chairman has come along as well after we went paint-balling. That just shows the togetherness now that we have as a club.”

“We went for a Chinese together and he turned up, which I thought was a nice touch.”

And Newcastle are doing the right thing for their fans these days, which is a change from when Ashley first took over, and it was a great move when Llambias and owner Mike Ashley came up with the idea for the half-price season ticket promotion.

That was to current season ticket holders, and it was well received by the fans, and the club couldn’t quite handle the demand it generated, but it was a smart move by the Board, and we should now see higher attendances at home games this season, which will only help the team.

And another nice touch made by Derek LLambias recently was the private plane he laid on to take the Reserves side to Swansea, and it showed by his actions how much the club feels about their up and coming youngsters, who are the future life-blood of the club.

As far as the private plane gesture, Steven had this to say:

“That wouldn’t have happened last year,” “But because we’re doing our business on the pitch, the chairman and the owner have looked after the reserves as well.

“So it’s good for them to do that. Beating Wigan, which was a massive result for us, persuaded the chairman to put on an initiative for season tickets – that just sums up how he’s trying hard and I think the fans appreciate that.”

Add to that,  the 7,000 fans who turned up for the open training session at St. James’ Park last Friday, and things are certainly looking up.

But we should not get too carried away, because we’ve seen before how owner Mike Ashley can make some ruthless decisions at Newcastle, and that shown in the way he sold Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan, and how he sacked former manager Chris Hughton last December.

But in retrospect those decisions have not turned out to be as dire for the club as we had expected they would be, so maybe Mike knows what he’s doing  at Newcastle after all.

We hope so, because all we want to see is Newcastle very successful again, and sooner rather than later.

• aussietoonfan

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Not gonna write an I told you so piece of crap……
    Keep up the great work EVERYONE at the TOON!!!

• Dannyo

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Happy to see that the improvements are occurring in all parts of the organisation. Well done, but there’s still a long way to go for everyone on and off the pitch. Results over time on the pitch, and building trust off it are the only way to turn the tide.
    Well played from the top in recent months tho, hope it continues.

• Thump

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I told you so. I always had faith in Llambias and Ashley.

Haha, oh wow, it’s even funnier when you type it.

• spitfire_

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I can’t forgive them what they did to Newcastle in the begining, but I’m glad to see the change in there attitude.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Still don,t trust them!

Whatever gets written on here!

• toonincheek

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:00 PM

The Pardew appointment has turned out first class, though by good fortune rather than judgment IMO. Who else would have taken on the task, recognised as being one of the toughest in football, for a pittance. Thata’s why he was appointed, rather than MA believing he would be the success that he has been.

Putting us on a proper financial footing rather than overspending on ‘stars’ is definitely paying dividends. I’ll give them credit for that.

Their stated intention was to bring in many youngsters with an eye on future profits when they are sold.
    Just hope MA realises that success ranks higher than short term profit on important players.

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I think we have done well this season. Great job by pardew, carver, stone ect. and all the players. No credit to Ashley or Lambiase, sorry like but i am yet to be convinced they want anything other than profit.

• aussietoonfan

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I’m luckier than most. I only started watching the Toon last season and thus knew nothing of the recent history regarding Ashley’s takeover/buyout. Plus the Chris Hughton success story before his exit. Unlike the rest of you I don’t have the long term supporter eyes (regrettably). Plus I live here in Australia and NEVER EVER get to see the lads live or attend St James Park (absolutely gutted). Fortunately, though through good luck, I’ve only ever seen the Toon as a top league side. And as a result, I’ve also seen what’s happened right through the history (my history) of Newcastle United. And what a history I’ve been exposed to.

I’ve loved the ride so far (short as it’s been). And I look forward to whatever happens next. Good AND Bad!!!

It all comes with the territory.

No Toon – NO LIFE
    Know Toon – KNOW LIFE!!!

• GeordieGerman

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM

aussietoonfan, now you’ve got me interested. What made you a toon fan?

• toonashwin

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:18 PM

waiting for tonight
    so anxious
    its tempting to be at 3rd spot

• niafron

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM

He maybe leave in Newcastle Australia?

• niafron

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM

He lives…

One day, i will speak english…

• niafron

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Anyway aussietoonfan, i’m too a new fan, so maybe should we form a special supporter’s club!

• Louis583

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Apparently Rangers been arrested and charged again last night.

• GeordieGerman

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Louis583, now why doesn’t this news surprise me?

• PHOENIXNIGHTS

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Lets not be too generous dishing out compliments to these two just yet. They have a track record of monumental f~~k ups. They are putting us on a financially steady footing (although they are taking in millions personally) If they can keep this squad (minus Smith and Xsico – huge wages) and add one or two for the next 12 – 18 months then lets say they are doing a good job. You can tell we are doing well as no one is talking about these two comedians.
    Tough game tonight however we have enough to get at them and secure at least a point.
    Keep the Faith

• TemuriKetsbaia

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Ha Ha! “3rd joint top of the Premiership”… so 4th then. Getting a bit carried Ed? lol

• Selbymag

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Nile Ranger = Cock. Discuss!?! Gets back in the !st team squad during the week and then gets locked up again

• niafron

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Self destrcution are the only words who come to mind. I don’t know why, but by any eveidence, this guy want to be fired.

• AshtreeKid

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:40 PM

the guy just doesnt seem to understand the consequences of his actions, think he must be pretty thick

• aussietoonfan

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:43 PM

O.K. answers…..

I was once a MAD Rugby League supporter and my club was the Western Suburbs Magpies (aha I hear you say).
    Anyway long story short (and 25-30,000 dollars of merchandise later) my team died (insert the term amalgamated) in the great Super League war of 1995 -1999.
    So I told the NRL to go @#$% themselves and have never again watched, listened to, read about the game of rugby league.
    Anyways, in the past I had read about a team called Notts County who played in black and white stripes and were called the Magpies. So I kind of half supported them. Only half because I was so wrapped up in Wests.
    Now I’m sitting here with no sporting team to support and the World Cup arrives, renewing a passing interest in football (or soccer here). I also hear that Newcastle who I had heard of here and there were also named the Magpies. Living here with my best mate, she consented (after much pleading I might add) to adding sports channels to her Pay TV subscription and my new love was born.
    She even gets up at anywhere between 10:30 pm through to 6:00 am to watch every game live with me. (and like me she refers to the Toon as “we” or “us” or “ours”).
    So here I am to stay and here I’ll forever be!

Now off to bed. it’s 10:38pm here and the Toon run out at 5:45am tomorrow.

When I jump on again, I’ll try to reply to any other comments or questions if they come in.

Thanks for reading and goodnight.

• toonashwin

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:43 PM

i m indian(asian)
    never seen so many diversity here before
    seriously something good is happening here:D
    though following nufc when shearer used to play
    or when i was 8 or 9 may be
    pardew !!! ty
    ed harrison u tooooon
    can’t stop my fingers to write “n “after “too”n
    oops i did it again :p

• niafron

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Well, it’s not only a question of stupidity, he also got a drinking problem.

Well, this lad was in Jail at the age of 16…

Maybe he hate himself to being succesfull and not having the life of his formers comrades.

We always consider this kinds of stories as fairy tales. Not so simple than that.

• niafron

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:50 PM

A former “rugby à 13” fan… All roads leads NUFC…

• theleckworthbird

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:02 PM

On the Nile Ranger incident, he is obviouls totally stupid, and leopards don’t change their spots. Get rid.

• ryan_toon

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Yo I’m a toon fan coming from Singapore and Indonesia. Went to Newcastle summer of 2010 and the city was amazing! I tried to go to st. James’ though but it was during the time they were inspecting the stadium for the world cup bid. Too bad, but that only means I’ll have to come back haha. HTL and hoping for a win tonight!

• wynsleap

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:53 PM

theleckworthbird @ 26
    We are talking here about almost forgiving Ashley (and Llambias) for their past indiscretions and you say that “leopards don’t change their spots”.
    You’re obviously talking about Ranger but that could also apply to the Gruesome Twosome at this club.
    As I’ve said in the past I think what the team is doing at present is despite Ashley not because of him.
    It will take a long time and a helluva lot more things being done right before I could consider warming to The Controller and his mate.
    Taking down that cheap, tacky and nasty Sports Direct signage from our lovely stadium would be a very small step in the right direction.

• HKTP

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Comments like “they are in it for the money”. Who isn’t? We aren’t a millionaire’s plaything, we are one of his side businesses. To be honest, he has made mistakes but the club looks likes it is on the way to becoming stable. Granted we aren’t going to be able to challenge for the top transfers, hold onto our star players if big clubs come knocking. But we are becoming realistic, we aren’t covering the cracks like the previous management.

Tonight is going to be a big test for our european aspirations. HWTL

• dinohung

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I am from Hong Kong and have been supporting Newcastle for more than 15 years. Long time no see Newcastle are in such good run since Kevin Keegan first spell and Bobby Lobson. Looking forward to see then to beat Stoke tonight (4am HK time) …

• Obafan

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Ranger should be shown the door; maybe he has got great potential, but he has got zero intelligence. Too bad, but he doens’t deserve to be a part of this great team (spirit)!!

Come on guys get us a win and go third!!! 0-2 Cabaye and Ben Arfa to score…

• stuart no9

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:41 PM

it is good to see that lambias is trying to mingle with the players at least. I do tend to believe though that the gesture shown by lambias regarding the chinese meal , should come as standard from a man in his position, as stevie taylor said it was a nice touch,but IMO it should be common practice, after all they are his employees, however if this is their way of changing, we should welcome it.I hope for the good of the clubwe can all pull together and get NUFC back to where we belong, as for lambias, nice to see him doing the right things, however just wait and see, it will take more than a chicken chow mein to convince me he has NUFC at heart , but its a start

• stuart no9

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:25 PM

aussietoonfan, welcome to the mad world of NUFC, i suppose you are going to buy a season ticket now ? ha ha

• cupiddstunt

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM

2 AMEOBI’S @ # 7

Ok so you are not convinced they want anything other than profit.

I for one not being so blinkered would be quite happy with that as the only way to make profit is to be successful, MA has already sunk over a third of a billion and counting into NUFC and the only way he is going to see any PROFIT is by making the club a success.

SO how about taking the blinkers off ehh?

There were posters on here rambling on about asset stripping without a clue as to what was involved in asset stripping, really just showing their ignorance and stupidity, now c’mon lighten up mate in order to make a profit we need to improve as a club and I will take club improvement all day long.

Niafron @ # 11

Your English is far superior to our French so don’t feel so bad 🙂

PHOENIXNIGHTS @ # 16

And your proof that they are “taking in millions personally” is what?

Aussietoonfan welcome to the rollercoaster that is the toon and long may you dwell here.

• thepict

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Aussietoonfan, welcome . Fasten your seat belt your in for a bumpy ride !!!

• joppadoni

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM

This ‘news’ im afraid is about 2 weeks old. saylors interview was that long agooooooo…

‘i cant forgive them..’ crap. give me a break..