Danny Guthrie – It’s A Fantastic Result For Newcastle

Danny Guthrie again deputized for the injured Cheick Tiote last night in Newcastle’s great 3-1 win at Stoke, and he showed once again he can get the job done for Newcastle when called upon.

Danny Guthrie – in action last night

It’s a bit of a dodgy time for the former Liverpool midfielder,  because his contract at Newcastle runs out next June, but with displays like he’s put in the last couple of games,  he will have no trouble getting fixed up at some other club if Newcastle do not extend his contract.

Danny scored a great goal last week at Blackburn, and last night put in another solid performance in Newcastle’s engine room, as the team dealt with the Stoke’s physical play and the many crosses they put into the penalty area.

Danny talked to nufcTV after the game:

“”It was a fantastic result.”   It’s a really, really tough place to come – one of the very toughest – so to come away with a result like that, which a lot of people didn’t expect, is a great feeling.”

“We’re delighted. We’ll take every game as it comes and we’ve got a home game next so we’ll look to get three points there.”

“I’m really pleased,” “It’s been tough with the amount of injuries I’ve had and struggling to get up to pace with missing pre-season, but I’m delighted with the way the last week’s gone for me.”

“I’ve had two games this week, which has been tough because I haven’t played for a while but I’m really pleased.”

“I came off in injury time but I think the manager just wanted to get some fresh legs on for the last couple of minutes.”

Danny missed the start of the season with an ankle injury he picked up Darlington in the first half of the very first pre-season friendly, when Shane Ferguson also suffered an injury.

It could be that Cheick Tiote will be fit again for the game against Everton on Saturday in a lunch-time kick-off at St. James’ Park, since he almost made the game last night, after recovering form his injured knee .

But we should see a lot more of Danny, after he has shown the management at Newcastle just what he can do for the Tyneside club.

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Guthrie could fill Tiote’s boots in January!!!

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Still keen to see Abeid play as hi has been playing immense for the reserves and has scored some thunderbolts!!!!

• fungus44

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:49 AM

great team display last night things looking good ,an other win on Saturday and we fling going in to three tough games

• ToonDownSouth

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM

I’d be disappointed to see Guthrie go. But he’s the quality of player that could get 1st team football at about half of the PL clubs, so I’d understand if he wanted to leave.

But his work rate, passion & aggression embody everything I love about the club.

Plus his range of passing is mint.

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I cant see us letting Guthrie go, his vision is exceptional and his work rate is always good.

Down South > I know what you mean, so it depends on whether HE wasnt to stay at the club and fight for his place, or step in when called upon, or whether he wants to start every week!

• fungus44

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Hope get,s a new deal as he a great squad player and he will get games i am sure

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM

We are a club on the up and I don’t see anyone leaving us that we don’t want to get rid of, If we can keep this kind of form going for the full season then we are in Europe, Maybe even the Champions League. There, I said it. I know it’s far too soon to be talking like this but if the team can keep focusing on each game as it comes and don’t look too far ahead, the points will take care of themselves.

• ballerfan2

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM

We keep hearing about our weak squad and no doubt there are some areas where we might struggle if we suffered injuries. At the moment I believe the 2 Argentines are the players we’d miss most if they were injured. Fortunately they both seem to be indestructible.
    Demba Ba would be the other I would hate to lose – but otherwise I think we are in pretty good fettle for cover. Considering we have players like Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Santon, Guthrie, Gosling, Abeid, Ferguson struggling to get a starting spot then I think the doubts about our squad strength are somewhat exaggerated.

• ToonDownSouth

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM

ballerfan2

Having Perch as our only centre back cover is the big problem for me lol. If we can keep Tayls & Colo fit till Jan, then I’m sure we’ll bring someone in.

Although who knows, King Colo might be sold off anyway 🙁

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:05 AM

The difference this season is that we are beating the teams that are below us or at least not loosing. 10 games unbeaten in the Prem is excellent form, You know the more these so called experts keep saying that our bubble will burst or that we are in a false position are probably inspiring our team to prove them all wrong. It is not unheard of for a team to shock the Prem and take it by storm, we’ve done it ourselves in the past.

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Ballerfan > we are definitely week in the CB department. Apart from Williamson (who may take some time to recover and get fully matchh fit) we have nobody able to step in to cover Saylor or Colo if the unthinkable happens. Our midfield is where we have many options and lots of players fighting to get in. I agree, if Ba damaged his knee or was injured, then we would be missing our goal machine. However i am still optimistic that we will bring in at least 1 forward in January, along with a CB and full-back.

Maiga, Pieters, De Jong, Cisse to name a few!

ToonFan > i love your optimism, but lets not get too caried away just yet, still along time to go, but i have to agree that if we keep playing the way we are, grinding out results and keeping our resilience sky high, then who knows mate, who knows 😀

• Adssy Mccc

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I thought this guys was brilliant last night!!

Having not played much this season and then to come in and play the way he did, it was credit to him. On that display last night he showed slightly better technical and passing ability than Tiote! He also did the stuff that we might have been lacking in the middle last night – as some of his tracking back and tackling was really solid.

Well done Danny!!!

• soundoid

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I really thought we would get beaten yesterday.

To go to Man City unbeaten would be great.

Smash and grab the title? I know you are all thinking it but dare not admit it.

• ilovetoon8788

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Guthrie is finally showing why Bolton rated him so highly when he was young. He’s a quality backup for Tiote if he can put it those sort of shift he put in the last 2 games, week in week out.

Hope he’s given a new contract extension. If can indeed put his injuries behind and improve further as a player. He might just be pushing Tiote and Cabaye for that midfield spot.

• bambams

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Absolutely tremendous performance from the entire team, i did not think we would have dealt with the aerial threat so well.

Going off on a tangent did anyone else see the two “cheap” attacks on Raylor and Krul by HUTH ?
    The one on Krul was two seconds after the whistle and Huth clearly leads with his knee….The bloody FA should have a look at it. God knows whenever Joey did anything when playing for us they took a look. Have a look again if you have recorded the match….I have!

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Sundoid > “smash and grab the title” > LOVE IT

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM

bambams > I agree mate …. GBH :-O

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM

@Toon_Tom
    Trying to keep a lid on it mate but I haven’t felt like this about the Toon in a long time, goosebumps, hair standing on end. I got this seasons home shirt for my birthday from the missus, It was bought with the last of our money at the time and every time I have worn it from the start of the match we have either won or drawn the game. I’m not really a superstitious person but the one time I didn’t have it on from the start was the Cup game the other night and we all know what happened there. I will not tempt fate again and will always be sure I have my top on from start to finish from now on.

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM

ToonFan > hahaha, awesome. So we have you to thank for this run-of-form 🙂

Much Appreciated mate, keep up the good work 😉

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM

if we go into the mancity game still unbeaten i really wouldnt mind as much if that was the place we lost our unbeaten status. at least it would be against the only other unbeaten team and away from home. i just wouldnt want it to go to some shite club down bottom and certainly not muncaster united.

maybe draw at mancity. who knows. but if it is defeat it is better away at an unbeaten city.

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@ 18

Don’t you even dare think about taking that shirt off during the games against United, City, Chelsea.

Theres should also be a “buffer” zone around that shirt. No food/Drinks/people/Pets etc allowed within a 5 ft Radius of the shirt.

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@Toon_Tom
    I wish it was all about my toon top mate cos if it was we would be unbeaten all season cos I won’t be forgetting to wear it from the start ever again. HWTL

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:24 AM

ToonTang > You never know, Man City could be thinking/saying the same.

“If we are to loose our unbeaten run, then i’d rather do it against an awesome Newcastle team than anyone else”

HAHA 😉

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I found it amusing that Stoke boo’ed BA everytime he got the ball.

Last time i checked, Stoke turned down the chance to sign Demba Ba. He didn’t leave their club. If anything they should be Booing their management for making such a crucial mistake.

Well their loss is our Gain.

P.S with Ba in form, im sure shirt sales are rising. Everyone wanting the number 19 shirt. On top of that, it should be cheaper as his name is only Ba!.

Win – Win Situation for fans and management!

• fungus44

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Newcastle United are aware of a racist remark that was directed towards Sammy Ameobi via Twitter on Sunday evening (October 30).
    The club and Sammy have reported the matter to the police, who are now dealing with the incident.
    The racist comment is wholly unacceptable. Newcastle United will not tolerate racism of any kind and will take the strongest possible action against those responsible.

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Super Simmo > even cheaper option = remove the number 1 from his shirt!!!!!

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM

If we get some silverwear this season or even into Europe, I will consider framing the shirt but if it truly is that lucky I will wear it for every match for the rest of my life. Ha Ha

• laurits90

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

what about going after tevez?
    shitty will have to reduce his value…..

• maugid

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Looking forward guthries the perfect squad player you want. However as a few have mentioned I think (assuming newcastle are happy with his fitness) its all about what guthrie wants. I don’t think he will be offered any pay increase so it will be a take it or leave it deal.

If there was a 2m offer come in for guthrie in jan would you lot take it?

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM

lauritis > it isnt too much about the transfer fee, his wages are sky high!!!!! No Chance

• HKTP

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Great results last night. Stoke away is one of the more difficult fixtures and we dealt with it very well. Thought Danny Guthrie was excellent. Was shitting myself when I saw Perch coming on, esp for Cabaye. Booked in the first 20 seconds of play. Im not sure DM is a position I would play him in, I must give him credit for a tackle he made in the 87th. Superb, thats about it.
    I saw Leon Best just stop when he didnt get the decision a few times. This is something I hate seeing, always play to whistle. This should be ingrained from a very young age, and the few times he didnt get the decision, Stoke went up and created chances. If any of those went in, as a manager or a team mate, we would be well annoyed. I hope to see this cut out of our team. Saying that, I thought our front two put a lot of pressure on their defence and goalie. A few dodgy clearances, makes a helluva difference for our midfield. Job is so much easier.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM

@Toon_Tom

haha they probably are mate. will be a cracking game whatever the outcome, and if we go there with our tactics set out, stick to them and work as hard as we did last night, anything can happen.

I just know if it were to end there then i wouldnt be as gutted if it was at swansea or liverpoo or summat ahah

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

So much positivity at the moment then all of a sudden some idiot Racist puts a little bit of a dampener on it, Bet it was a bitter Stoke fan that has abused Sammi. If it is then it just goes to show that horrible football is being watched by horrible fans. Just speculating about it being a Stoke fan BTW. Could be anyone!

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Tang > totally agree!

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM

3 players in next window and none of our top players leaving should see us push for a European spot. We have got to think big to achieve big things, Lets hope Mr Ashley agrees in Jan.

• GeordieGerman

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

“@JonnnnyPhipps: @Sammy_Ameobi your hand is nearly the same colour. #nigger” Sad to see some people are still racist nowadays!

JonnnnyPhipps
    This user does not exist.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

probably pulis in disguise. ‘newcastles a black and white club and always will be’ . i remember when sir booby said that a few years back.

• toonfan76

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM

@GeordieGerman
    Looks like some idiot has created an account, Racially abuse our Sammy and then deleted the account thinking that they won’t get caught. Big mistake, computers or phones always leave a data trail that is extremely difficult to remove. Whoever this person is will be caught.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:52 AM

*bobby sorry

• AMEOBI

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Wow that racist comment on sammy ameobi, that’s ridiculous!!!!