Newcastle Announce Their Arrival Back In The Big Time

Stoke City suffered their first home league defeat of the season last night to a brave  Newcastle side 3-1.

Demba Ba – after scoring his second goal

The Magpies went into this game only too well aware of what Stoke’s plan would be, and the Newcastle defense again put in a stalwart performance at the back,  as Ryan Taylor was rattled and injured at least three times, as he bravely put his body on the line to head the ball away from high crosses into the box.

Ryan was indicative of the bravery shown by the Newcastle team,  and the lads worked their socks off to close Stoke down every time they got the  ball, and Coloccini and Steven Taylor were again magnificent at the back for  Newcastle.

His new mask didn’t seem to bother Steven Taylor at all,  and he put in yet another commanding performance for Newcastle.   It’s a long long time since we saw so many Newcastle players run themselves into the ground for the Newcastle cause, but there were heroes galore last night in the all black of Newcastle.

And probably the biggest one of the lot was Demba  Ba,  who scored a wonderful hat-trick, his second of the season,  against the club who tuned him down last January, when he failed a medical.

Demba took his goals tally for the season up to 8 goals  in just 11 appearances.

Alan Pardew seemed to get the game plan right this time, after Stoke had walloped his side 4-0 in last year’s fixture, when they did the double over Newcastle.

But not this season, and manager Alan Pardew couldn’t praise his players enough after the game:

“The players have to take great credit,” “You can have a game-plan of what you want to do but by the same token, players have got to be brave enough to see it out.”

“And we showed some bravery. Absolutely brilliant, some of our players tonight.” “You’ve got to be brave, and we were brave at their throw-ins.”

“We left two up and that caused them some problems on the break a couple of times.” “Sometimes you’ve got to change the emphasis of a game and we did that well – in the second half, not so well and that’s why we came under pressure.”

“Having said that, it was a soft penalty that they got, I thought. But at least the ref was consistent because we got a soft one too!”

It seems Newcastle have arrived back in the big time, and are now in 3rd position on 22 points from 10 league games, and are 3 points clear of Chelsea in 4th place.

Newcastle will play Everton at home in an early 12:45 pm kick off time game on Saturday, and it could be that we’ll see St. James’ Park packed full for that game.

Newcastle looked a very good side last night, and it was the very first time they have ever won at the Britannia Stadium, and they now have six wins and four draws in their first 10 league games of the season.

• nimo

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM

really liking what pards is doing.. real honest guy i feel

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Best result of the season so far imo! Cracking game, showed skill, speed and class in the first half, then resilience in the second to play against a Stoke team that some dub as “unplayable” > well, we played them, and murdered them!!!
    They are a terrible team to watch and they dont really play football, more like watching a basketball team!

• Stuart

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Gutted I missed the match last night like. It was on a tv screen right behind me the whole night but I only got the chance to turn round twice and that was for the two penalties!

Can’t wait for the everton game. Beat them then start praying for the something in the next two, we’ll beat chelsea at home easy, we are ahead of them afterall haha!

• maugid

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM

How do people feel about best? At times looked a good support player and against a team like stoke the right man to start but I reckon against everton we have to look to HBA. Do you guys reckon tiote will play sat if he is fit? Gutthers had a very good game I thought!

• Stuart

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:40 AM

tiote will definately play if fit like, unfortunately for Guthrie tiotes just too integral to our team.

Him and Cabaye are the best and most hard working CM pair in the prem this season.

I’d agree on HBA though, he played well against them last season and must be starting to stew on the bench by now.

Can’t find his form unless he plays like.

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:43 AM

maugid > Tiote wil deffinitely slot straight back in to the team. I agree Guthrie has played brilliantly the past 2 games, however Tiote will come straight back in. Best played excellent last night and has a brilliant partnership with Ba. HBA needs playing time but AP will have a headache about where to play him as we have played our best football with 2 up front. I would be tempted to stick him behind both of them to see how that could work.

_______________Tiote___________________

____Cabaye ____ HBA _______ Jonas

____________Ba_______Best__________

Very attacking, but this would been dropping Obertan who had an awesome game yesterday and we could loose our width playing like this.

So i would be reluctant to drop Best for HBA, but I would love to play HBA, so it is an excellent sittuation to be in when there are 5/6 “fringe” players all fighting to get into the team.

Happy Days > HWTL

• Rotonda heights

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM

That gave me so much pleasure last night as Stoke are truly the most appalling bunch of one dimensional, long ball thugs ever assembled.

Stoke represent the complete opposite of how the beautiful game should be played. Stoke make an Allardyce team look like Brazil !!

I still remember Shallcross’ challenge on ramsay and the braindead moron saying he would keep playing that way !!

Pulis may have got stoke midtable but if your gameplan is based on GBH and hoofball, they don’t deserve any plaudits. If you had to watch that every week you’d want your money back !

• maugid

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I just think if we keep HBA out much longer his attitude will get the better of him! I was really impressed my perch though, couldn’t believe he manged to restrain himself for 30 seconds!

• WWJBD

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Where will Marv and Hatem fit into our team? Its got to be crossing their minds right now. Hatem was meant to have the team built around him but thus far we haven’t needed him…I don’t think he is a overly patient boy. And if we do bring him in where? Ba isn’t a lead the line type of striker imo and Best doesn’t get enough goals

As for Marv he won’t get in over Guti and Obertan is Pardews baby he has to wait for a injury really

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:46 AM

maugid > HAHAHA!!! Great comment regarding Perch! 😀

• Toon_Tom

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Krull The Conqueror turned in to Calamity Krul on a couple of occasions. Lets hope he will simply doing it on purpose to give the Stoke fans something to get optimistic about for 4 seconds as their team are terrible to watch!!!!!

• estechco

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Thought Huth was his usual thug-ish self. He did at least 3 reckless knee high challenges at corners that I spotted. Krul clearly wasn’t happy about the last one. Referees really should clamp down on such cowardly practices.

How I laughed when they gave us that late penalty for his push on Best (especially after the one at the other end) :o)

• studsy

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM

@ Toon_Tom – There are reports that the tesco local in stoke had no epoxy for his gloves 😛

As for perch, my hands were in my head when i seen him come on, then 14 seconds later I almost cried! Played wel though for the last 15mins, and put a couple decent tackles in along the way…phew!

• Geordiedoonsooth

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Let’s not get carried away if we are still in the top 6 at the end of November then I will start to believe we can get in to Europe. It’s about time Mr Cappello gave Steve Taylor a chance for England at the moment he is by far the best English centre back around. IMO at the moment he is playing better than Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill et all.

• The Carnivorous Badger

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM

We haven’t arrived any where yet. Next 4 games are Everton, Man U, Man City and Chelsea, we’ll be lucky to get 4 points out of that…

• toonarmy1986

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Stoke have one plan which is everyone elses 2nd and 3rd plan. They have no variation and so easy to play against. Get the feeling their premiership bubble is bursting sooner rather than later unless they can add more to their game. Every throwing was the same with no variation to catch us out like a short throwing for example.

• studsy

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Agree with you Geordiedoonsooth – also think the same about Colo – ill be very surprised if he doesnt get a callup this season! IMO Colo has been the best CB in the EPL this season!

• ballerfan2

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I had never believed exactly how one dimensional Stoke were until last night. They really do not have any game plan other than to bomb in those throw ins from their ridiculously narrowed pitch or the same tactic from free kicks anywhere on the pitch. Why would anyone pay good money to watch that.

Can Ba get credit for a perfect hat trick by the way – a header, a left foot tap in and a right foot penalty? Not the most spectacular but each one lethal.

• toonarmy1986

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM

not to mention gaining about 10 yards ballerfan2 from each of those throwings, how the hell he gets off with it every time is beyond me!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Ladies and gentleman….
    The angryman is in da house!!
    How good is this start, and as I said after the first three games, come on fat mike, keep ramming that humble pie doon me throat, I am loving it!!
    WELL, not really him i spose, but Mr Pardew is doing a cracking job.

I was there last night, (Prawn sarnying again im afraid) and Managed to get to have a chat with Mr Pardew…just brief. Shook his hand and said well done on the job ur doing etc etc.(basically doing my cutomer butt kiss routine) I told him he is proving the doubters wrong and in particular me, but i said i hope he continues to do so. He had a laugh. He hopes to get a couple of new faces in January, didnt give a great deal away, one lad asked him if HBA has spat his dummy out, he didnt look impressed but said that he was a cracking lad to work with, still slightly short of match fitness and risking him in particulary physical games (Or against physical teams) would be ludicrous!!He refused point blank again to take any praise for the way the team are playing, saying he can only ask them to play well, follow his plan and the rest is up to them. ‘so far, so good’ said he was proud as any geordie to be managing NUFC! Then i got dragged away by my wonderful Mrs, just aswell, dont want the Pard meister sniffing around her ;-).

Keep rpoving me wrong!! I love it!!

Traar all got flight to catch :-S

• ArtyH

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Excellent game last night. Proud to be a Geordie! The lads were All heroes. Really impressed with the Taylor bros ( lol ), got in where it hurt. Gutti was all over the shop and worked his socks off, possibly best game ever for us. Best was very good too and worked well with Ba.
    We played Stoke at their own game and beat them, just loved it when Raylor picked up the towel for the throwins and bombed their penalty area. I am starting to think we may have a TEAM now, but time will tell.
    On last nights performance I would give a wopping 8.5 out of 10, and for me thats impresive.

• PaddyToon

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:29 AM

All i can say it must be very boring to practice with the stoke team…they must practice those throw in set pieces like 4+ hrs a day and it still didn’t work for them. We had a better deal from our couple of long raylor throws into the box which we at least got a penalty for the 1.i doubt newcastle practice that much…

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:30 AM

all them comments about stokes one dimentional football are spot on. typical stoke tactics are to let the grass grow really long to stop slick passing teams from playing and the narrowing of the pitch thing is just ludicrous, they gain about 3 extra yards. haha. typical stoke tactics. and as for pubeless pulis, how dare he complain on the touchline about us wanting to use the towel – i coudnt bloody believe my eyes when i saw that

• Ben3arfa

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Ben arfa will always come off the bench for us , but the game vs stoke would have been the WRONG place to inttroduce him ..

I say start the same team (tiote back in though) against Everton and introduce Ben Arfa midway through the second half , because as much as Best is not scoring him and Ba have created a neat partnership up front.

HWTL

• toonarmyuk

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I’m shocked that I haven’t seen much praise for Gutierrez so far – I thought he put in an amazing shift last night! Yes, his runs down the left suffered for it, but helping Ryan Taylor with the defence was exactly what we needed last night and he worked his socks off doing it!

I also thought that Pardew showed great management skills last night. He got the plan spot on, and showed Stoke up for the predictable team that they are.

Carniverous Badger @15 – personally I think 4 points out of that group of games would be fantastic result and would almost certainly see us still in the top 6 come December. Remember, we’re already 4 points clear of 5th place now!

Personally, I think/hope we will beat Everton on Saturday and I wouldn’t be surprised if we can eke out a draw at one of our away games. Normally I would laugh at any such suggestion, but look at how we are playing as a team right now. Even the Manchester teams must be taking us reasonably seriously as a decent team now??

Finally, Steven Taylor has to be putting himself in for contention for England place now. He previous form of rash challenges and getting caught on the ball seem to have fallen away, and his commitment to the team is second to none!

COME ON THE LADS!!

• Davy Craig

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM

We were superb last night!

I said before the game that I would’ve dropped Obertan but he had his best game and worked up and down the line all night.

I think Pardew was astute in having Obertan on the half way line with Cabaye as a link every time they had a corner or a long throw into the box. If we’d packed the box out it would have been chaos and there would’ve been no outlet with Stoke easily picking their spot to launch the ball straight back in.

Guthrie was great in midfield to such an extent that Tiote wasn’t missed. Best worked all night despite being ill and Simpson had his best game for ages. I was wetting myself when he kept wasting time using the towels for our throws. Pulis was jumping up and down in fury and Simpson just smiled and kept doing it. Why not when they do it?!

The defence were brilliant and brave and Krul fought for everything but rightly so double men of the match were Ba and Jonas. It’s all been said and they were brilliant. I think Ba is playing out of his skin at the minute and he reminds me of Ian Rush in the way he gambles on space and makes constant runs eager to get between the two central defenders and nick anything. He got a perfect hat trick last night and we had a near perfect performance!

The knockers are still saying we haven’t played anyone yet but I don’t think there’s any such thing as an easy game in the top league. Roll on the next one! 🙂

• wynsleap

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Thought the whole defence were absolutely magnificent last night. Simpson had one of his best games for the club and Ryan Taylor is palying out of his skin with such bravery too.
    Colo is, in my opinion, turning Steven Taylor into the central defender we all knew he could be and the two of them are starting to form an impenetrable barrier.
    Ba is beginning to look the real deal up front and Best is working his socks off in support with some tremendous close footwork and body shielding with his back to the goal. Still have reservations about how many goals he’s likely to get though.
    Obertan had his best game yet and once this lad gets his confidence up with more game time he’ll be a force to be reckoned with. His run and cross for Ba’s first goal was just juicy!
    Guthrie had an admirable game in place of Cheik but I’d still like to see alittle more from Cabaye. Thought some of his passing was “iffy” last night.
    The only worry I have now is how we are going to keep Benny, Santon and Marveaux happy because on this showing it’s going to be difficult to force a way into this eleven.
    Pleased for Pulis last night – can’t stand the bloke.

• liam85

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I have nothing bad to say about the team. Awesome!

• Super Al

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:44 AM

In all honesty, yesterday’s was the best away performance I have seen by a Newcastle team since we beat the gunners 3-1 away a decade ago.

The spirit showed by this team reminds me of that shown in Sir Bobby’s days – when we got to the CL.

Even the likes of Citeh and United will have to be at their very best to beat us. 4 points out of the next 4 game is surely not good enough, not anymore. We should aim for at least 6-7 points.

I think we have a very good chance to still be in the top 4 AFTER the Chelsea game as Liverpool and the spuds also have some difficult fixtures during the same period.

Howay the lads!

• markmac

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Fantastic team performance last night, and some real standout individual performances too !!! HWTL

• Tiote4PM

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Great great game….

I am happy Ben Arfa, Marv and Santon aren’t getting games. Sir Alex doesn’t worry that Vidic, Berv, Owen are on the bench… Look at Man City and Chelsea benches…

We are a prem outfit and need a strong bench and no point rotating till we need to.

Delighted by the boys last night.

HWTL

• toonincheek

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Agree with pretty well all the comments above.

Guthrie has done so well, shame he probably won’t keep his place.

But – he’s done enough to show that we can rely on him. His consolation will have to be a guaranteed place on the bench and, knowing he can perform, plenty of sub appearances to give Tiote or Cabaye a break, depending on which one has taken a knock or whatever.

Hopefully that will be enough to keep him happy as he can make a big contribution over the season, even if Tiote and Cabaye get the nod ahead of him.

• danuneek

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I don’t know how well this suggestion may go down, but, I’ve just read that Tevez is willing to stay in England because his family are living here now. I know he’s got baggage, but he’s a quality player and it was Pardew who brought him to England. And I can imagine Man City would allow him to move to us on loan as it may dent their rivals campaign ie. Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. He would have to take a wage cut or Man City would have to pay half.