Pardew – How Good Are Newcastle – We Don’t Know

Alan Pardew and the Newcastle coaches are doing their very best to ensure the Newcastle players keep their feet firmly on the ground.

Alan Pardew — with his record – no wonder he’s laughing!

After the best start by Newcastle in 16 years, Newcastle are indeed flying high, and have 22 points from their first 10 league games of the season, and are in 3rd place, 3 points clear of Chelsea.

How could anyone have thought  back in August that Newcastle would be doing so well?   Not many, and we certainly didn’t think they would do this so well  so quickly.

Remember it’s only a little more than two years ago that Newcastle were at their lowest point for many many seasons, after being relegated in May of 2009 from the Premier League,  for the very first time.

But it’s testament to Alan Pardew and his coaches, that they have managed to integrate the seven new players signings  into the squad very well and very quickly.

Newcastle remain unbeaten in the league and indeed in their 13 matches this season in all competitions,  the lads have won eight, drawn four and lost only once.

And as former manager Chris Hughton used to do before him, Alan is concentrating only on one game at a time, and the only thing that matters now is preparing the team thoroughly for the tough home game against Everton on Saturday, which has a 12:45pm kick off.

This is what Alan said today:

“We have had a great start and have shown a lot of sides to us as a team. But we look no further than that,”

“We are coming up against a very good established Premier League side in Everton, with a great manager and good players.”

“And you have to respect every team in this division. And that is what we will do for the next game.”

“We are playing with confidence and have got a decent side. How good it is, we don’t know, but we are just going from game to game at the moment.”

“Expectation levels are not rising or going through the roof. Everybody has their feet on the ground and we are just hoping to keep it going.”

It’s far too early to talk about qualifying for Europe or any such thing, and what the lads want to do is to  get as many points as possible on the board before the end of this year, and then Alan Pardew and the coaches can take it from there.

And the likelihood is that owner Mike Ashley will back his manager big time in January, by bringing in as many as three new players to further strengthen the Magpies squad.

Things are looking great at the moment on Tyneside, but let’s keep taking just one game at a time – just like Alan is.

Howay The Lads!!

• alanrichie

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM

1st 😀

• niffnoff

Nov 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM

This blog ought to get some admins, yano to get rid of idiots like these ^

On topic I reckon we are easily a top half of the table team, I couldn’t tell you where though right now.

• boater

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

By no means a gimme – another very tough game. I’ve seen us loose to everton more times than I’d like to mention. It’s a matter of time before our unbeaten ends, and knowing us it will be when people least expect it.

Still say our problem won’t be in dropping points to the ‘top’ sides, but in continuing to find the goals to see off mid-lower league sides over a long season.

Ba is so important already – loving having someone like him to lead the attack. Class, class player. But if Best is being selected as a supplier, rather than a scorer, we may find we are just as good – if not better with Arfa in his stead.

• jimmctoon

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM

See that idiot Mark Lawrenson predicts us to get best 1-2 this weekend, that man has issues!

• Toonbyblood

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM

We will be undefeated after this weekend.

If only because it will set up a great game against MC. Two undefeated teams.

That would be epic. A real David vs Goliath encounter. MW with their team worth 100’s of millions vs a team worth what? Easily less than a 100million.

There was an interesting article in The Sun the other day (no really) that compared the price of teams two strikers vs the amount of goals scored. We had the 4th best strike duo and I think spent the least amount (£750,000) compare that with liverfool who spent £59mill and had somewhere between the 8th-10 best strike duo.

Man U also play Sunderland this weekend. I can feel a draw in the air there. So if we were to win against everton. We would be second.

I’m starting to think like niafron now…

Be realistic. Demand the impossible!

• YankeeToon

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM

What I want to see is a full 90 by our side. In many of our games we have been a team of two halves. Have to like the way we came out blazing against Stoke, especially down Obertan’s right but being ahead 2-0 we were always going to sit back and defend @ Stoke in the second.

Two halves of good defending and positive attack should be good enough for a 2-0, 3-1 Newcastle win against an injured Everton side. We get some good fortune with the international break coming up. I don’t think looking ahead to the Manchesters’ will be a problem because of that break.

• Toonbyblood

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:18 PM

MC not MW….

• NUFCkris

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Never believe lawro, couldent pick his nose let alone a result 🙂

• YankeeToon

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Don’t think like niafron. Its not are place to demand anything other then the boys going out and doing their best. The way they fight for eachother the points will follow. Right now we are on a peak and hopefully we can avoid the valleys.

What we should demand and hopefully get in January is some coverage in the back for Saylor and Colo, it is much needed.

• Toonbyblood

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM

YankeeT – I think you’ve missed the spirit of the message but yes agree with your sentiment….

No fear. Self belief. No limits. Anything happen….

• geordie-johnny

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I think the players and staff need to keep their feet on the ground but us supported are more than happy to dream of dream of a consistant top toon that can qualify for europe every season!!!

• geordie Jack

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I looked at some of Lawro’s predictions today. Based on his predictions, we would have won 3, drawn 1 and LOST 6 by now 😉 lol

• Belly

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:54 PM

We are in great form at the moment and we need to come out all guns blazing on saturday. There will be a couple of changes to the side due to the injuries, let’s hope the players coming in can step up and give there all. We should be controlling the game throughout the 90 with our midfield. I expect us to get a 2-0 win but you never know with everton. I’d like to see Marvaux play in place of Obertoon I think he’s got alot to offer. It’s so good to watch a Newcastle team play with such pride like we have done all season especially against Stoke, which I believe was our best performance so far.
    C’mon Newcastle!

• wingspan

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Lawro is a it of an egit. Hes also got blackburn to draw with chelsea?? Now i know that chelsea arnt exactly firin on all cylinders but still shud be a comfortable victory against a very poor blackburn team!
    Anyway bk to the toon, im glad he keeps predicting us to loose because we keep proving him wrong!

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I don’t know about anyone else but I shit myself every time we have. A game for fear of getting beat, that said I always try and remain optimistic that we will keep our good performances going……

Anyone else feel like that?

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Anyway moving on teams for Saturday:

Team I would like to see…..

• YankeeToon

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:31 PM

If Newcastle was sitting close to relagation that would be my attitude, fear. But since we are playing way better than expected given the turnover in the team you should be way more excited than fearful when getting ready for Match Day.

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM

I know just always have a sense of intrepidation, I never miss a home game and always have my pre match good luck routine, a creature of habit!!

• jimiley

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:37 PM

We are as good as we want to be. If we avoid injuries, we should win the league. No question.

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Good call and we probably are!!!

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:39 PM

We r just not used to it”…………….yet

• colwell

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Everton can`t score goals and we don`t concede so I predict 6 nil too Everton lol.

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Funny fuc…!

• BobbyNUFCGibson

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Personally I would only change the team by putting Marveaux in for Gabi and Tiote coming back in even tho Guthrie played his best ever game in a toon shirt at Stoke IMO.
    I think Best is due a goal and looked properly gutted when he was brought off at Stoke without scoring even tho he played well and once again ran his balls off the team. But similar to Wigan I would give HBA some more game time before the big games against City, Man U nd Chelski so he is up to match speed and happier as he could be a game changer against those teams for us.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Haha colwell I was talking to my mate today about the match and the convo pretty much went exactly like what you have just said 😀

Its just the NUFC way damnit Everton are on poor form, missing two key players and dont really have a striker. We are in amazing form and have a good record of scoring… all adds up to us getting our backsides handed to us

• colwell

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:44 PM

I`m quite annoyed with oba being out I thought against Stoke he did really well and used his pace perfectly. Marv or HBA are awesome so i`m not worried but Oba would of had the confidence to carry on hope it doesn`t effect him.

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Marv will do just fine, this is his opportunity to shine!

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Contrary to my earlier post suspect that Best and BA will start

• headtheball

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:48 PM

niffnoff @ 2
    alanrichie has every right to his comment as have you,but I find his more interesting.Humour might make all our lives a little better.

• colwell

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Exactly, its the Toon way lol

I have no doubts Marv will be awesome what a player he is, my point was it took some time for Oba to come out his shell as soon as he does he`s out for a month and no doubt won`t get straight back in due too Marv.

• Scottishmag1

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Get your point, it is a shame as he was starting to come good….

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I am still not sold on Obertan tbh he looks great against slow defenders but anyone with pace to not fear him and he is pretty average….and when he lets his head drop he is poor (Wigan he was horrible)

• davybtoon

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM

b amazing if the scum can do us a favour n we r second place at the end of the weekend, it will kill the ppl on match of the day to see us there lol

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM

No sweat for Saturday. This is a foregone conclusion these days……. 😉

• TemuriKetsbaia

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Would much prefer to see United utterly humiliate ’em. Nothing makes me happier than seeing Bruce’s ballbag face getting redder and redder. Except maybe Dalglish after a loss.

• blissna

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I refuse to feel confident. I’m gonna turn up and hope for the best on Saturday. Then I’ll pinch myself if I’m walking away with the toon gaining 3 points.

• Fostino

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:24 PM

well lads. badly need some help

im from ireland and i have been a long time follower of this site and been supporting the toon since i was 6 years young. i seen them play many years ago when they came to dublin but this will be my first time to st james and to england for that matter, so i am very excited.

im in a slight predicament however and am hoing some of the local geordies on the site could help me. I am looking to get tickets for liverpool & newcastle home match on the 31st of march with a few of my mates to show the lads we are the best supporters in the world.

only problem is, this match is likely to be shown on sky im guessing so i am wondering what day the match might get changed to as this will help when booking flights & accomodation etc. is there anyway of finding out?

basically i would love to know the following

1) how and who is best to book tickets with?
    4) is there any way to find out for defenite what date that newcastle vs liverpool match will be.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Would u believe work asks me to work 12-4 on saturday? At poundstretchers! What do I do? Record or “ill” call hmm…..

• Toon Tang

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:32 PM

somebody deal me in already… ffs

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

1) how and who is best to book tickets with? I’d say book online, phone box office (
    2) what are friday, sat and sunday nights like in newcastle? good spots to go etc? Saturday after the match is a good night.. Regardless the result, most weekends are all decent.
    3) what is good accomodation to stay in newcastle..lively spot but cheap would be great. No idea on this one sorry!
    4) is there any way to find out for defenite what date that newcastle vs liverpool match will be? Definite date would be said within a few month before match, should be ok..

Sorry if I was no help 😛