Mehdi Abeid One To Watch At Newcastle

Mehdi Abeid hasn’t had many chances in the Newcastle first team yet.

Mehdi Abeid – very promising youngster at Newcastle

But when he did play in the first team during pre-season, and in the whole game at Nottingham Forest in the Carling Cup in September, he looked an accomplished player, who could have a great future on Tyneside.

Mehdi  only turned 19 in August, and is going to play for Algeria at International level after appearing for the Algerian U23 side  recently, and he qualifies because his parents are Algerian although he was born and brought up in France.

The 6’1″ central midfielder was born in Montreuil, France and hopes to represent Algeria in the Olympic Games next summer in Great Britain, where St. James’ Park will be one of the stadiums used for the event.

Algeria will be playing some games in Egypt between November 27th and December 3rd and Mehdi will be involved as they play Senegal, Morocco and Nigeria in the group stages of the Olympics qualifying stages.

Abeid had this to say to the local press today:

“I am with Algeria. There is the Olympic tournament soon.”  “We have three games coming up and they are important.”

“For me it is important to play at international level.”  “It’s a great challenge.” “The fans are very good to me.”

“I enjoy my time here and they have made me very welcome.”  “It hasn’t been difficult settling here.”  “It has been like being in France.”

“I feel really good and I want to do well in every game and every training session.”  “I just want to do something good for the team.”

“My family watch the games at home on TV.”  “They are happy I am here, they feel I made the right choice, a good choice.”

“I learn every day from very good players and I hope to do well.”

Mehdi could well see some action in January and February in the Newcastle first team, when Cheick Tiote will be away with the Ivory Coast for the African Cup of  Nations.

Of  course with Danny Guthrie having played so well over the last three games in Cheick’s enforced absence through injury, it looks like Danny could again get the nod to replace the Ivorian, but we think Alan Pardew will  want to give the classy 19 year-old some action.

When you consider the way the youngsters are coming through for Newcastle this season, our squad may be stronger than we thought at the beginning of the season.

Comments welcome.

• G

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

I can’t see himself forcing a first team start any time soon, but a genuinely exciting player in the making here.

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I for one am totally enthusiastic about the future for the toon, however I would still be happy for a top ten finish this season, and for colo to sign a new deal because he has been immense this season so far as has the rest of the team imho.

• ross armstrong

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Is cabaye gna b back for the city game??

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I’m not vindictive but does anyone think Silva should be given a reducer just to see how Man Sh***y like having their best player left in a crumpled heap?

• a long way from newbiggin

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Cabaye has gone to the french international squad, so they will checj his injury and we might hear something after that

• Toon_Tom

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I hate to see horrible injuries, however I would love to see Tiote snap Silva in 4 🙂

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I would hate if any of ours hurt any of theirs, should be about who is the best team on the day not who can hurt the other squad most

Would rather we were turned over than resorted to that. Accidents happen and thats the game (De Jong was stupid but he didnt intend to hurt HBA)

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

…but intentially going to hurt them or hoping they get hurt is nothing I want

(Sent before I was ready haha)

• Rotonda heights

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM

WWJBD

De Jong has got history from way before ben Arfa.
    You don’t scissor kick someone on the deck if you are a ” proper ” player.

• ToonDownSouth

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:33 PM

De Jong clearly didn’t intentionally hurt HBA. Nor did he intentionally stud Alonso in the chest. Stuff happens. He’s a reckless player.

Ridiculous for football fans to talk about hurting people. Especially Silva, without a doubt one of the best players you will ever see in your life.

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Rotonda
    True he is no angel but I doubt he ever intended to break HBAs leg in 2 places. Hes a moron but not a career killer

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

We left the thuggish antics behind, when Barton departed. Anyone notice, that we’ve had almost naught on-pitch-scuffles, since that pillock left? Just 100% focus on the football now.

He tried to intentionally hurt Silva, in QPRs last match, too.

• connor_nufc

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM

de jong “i want to end career at city”

at the time of writing it is not clear whos career he wants to end.

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:55 PM

When did Barton try to intentionally hurt Silva? I only saw the MOTD coverage and it showed one meaty tackle but it was fair

Barton is prone to frustration and a odd moment but he was more driving force than thuggish draw back when he played for us

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM

He clattered Silva from behind, swiping his leg, missed the ball by about 10 yards, received a yellow card (to his predictable shock and pleading of innocence).

In response to your second paragraph, I’d say you’re only remembering his final year. Face it, he’s an egotistical pudding.

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Sorry like couldnt have been that bad or MOTD would of shown it to have a pop at him, they wouldnt miss a oppertunity to do that

As for remembering his final year well yeah its the only time he was fully fit and grown up enough to played for us for a full season he is also a completely different character than what he used to be

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Barton has and always will be a thug. Whichever player that stubs a lit cigar in someone’s eye let alone your TEAMMATE will always be a thug. He did mature slightly in the last 2 season but another of his foolish antics were round the corner and his tweets confirm that. Players like Barton do sometimes go to intentionally try and hurt another badly. Pederson anyone? How many sudded stamps have we seen in football in the past?- LOADS! Aggresive players are just that aggressive. You can tame them a bit but no one can put out the fire in their bellies. They’re usually very bad losers and kick even harder if things go against them. Some implement hurting an opposing player bad enough to end his game soon in the match as a wise move. Some do it without any incentive and just the fact all is not going as planned. There are really childish mega-rich footballers out there that just don’t know how to behave and some are just unlucky.

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Is he heckers! He deploys a very transparent facade. I guess being grown-up, includes punching Pedersen and going in a strop, because he’s being withdrawn from set-piece duty? The next flare up is around the corner.

He’s still an immature, irascible nugget, you only have to look at his Tweets from last night; getting into a slanging match with some reality TV personalities? Why exactly? I believe he referred to himself as a ‘big man’, during this latest dispute, or words to that effect.

By the way, i don’t follow him, it’s just that he were ‘trending’ (bet he loves that) for a period last night, so had to see what he’d being blabbering.

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Well you must hate that we have HBA in our squad now then if people dont change…

Tbh I like Barton great footballer and a truthfully but flawed man, never claimed he was a saint but he is a character and he loved NUFC and its fans

• ToonDownSouth

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM

The stupidest thing Barton’s done in the last couple of years was being too egotistical to apologise to the chairman & staff.

No matter what he said when he left about it being because he “didn’t want to go through another relegation”, at the end of the day he got shafted to a poor little team because he loves himself too much to man up and apologise.

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM

JP

Aye, they’re usually the type of competitors, who realise they’re not up to scratch with skills, so they’ll resort to subterfuge and aggravation.

I personally think, he has a major inferiority complex.

• ash-out

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:44 PM

@ AP’s Black & White Army – I bet you loved Joey when he played for us. Get your blinkers off ,players don’t become any different just becuase they play for a different club.

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I never said people don’t change, just Barton hasn’t changed to the degree you suggest.

Comparing him with Ben Arfa, is a sleight against Ben Arfa.

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Ash-out

No I didn’t.

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:48 PM

And to say he will always be a thug is sad and rather simple. I never said he was a saint but he doesnt drink anymore and rarely puts a foot wrong these days

As for Benny boy you mustnt know much of his past then

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I know what Niafron has told me and a few pieces i have read. He’s never become violent.

• AP's Black & White Army

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM

HBA actually seems relatively introverted and shy, for the modern footballer.

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:01 PM

There is a video on youtube of him nearly coming to blows with Diaby when they were younger. Has a long history of falling out with teammates and coaches. History of sitting his dummy out on and off the pitch as well as being ball greedy

• Klatoon

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:25 PM

The Barnetta links are resurfacing,makes sense as Obertan is the only natural RW we have. Also the swiss ace is very versatile able to play across midfield.

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:26 PM

WWJBD As I said i’m not vindictive however if one of Man Cities players were to be snapped in two I wouldn’t be sad for them either.If the De Jong tackle was accidental what was with the high fives after it happened then?

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I suppose my main point is how good are City if Silva isn’t playing because imho everything good about them comes from him.

• GeordieToon89

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Ad rather have hoillet or shaqiri than barnetta but would still love barnetta lol.. Also on De Jong hes less of a thug than Karl Henry and Joey Barton, a havnt seen De Jong physically punch a fellow player in the chest and beat a team mate to a pulp, ther is no way he actually set out to hurt ben arfa he was just caught out with bennys pace and quick feet….
    Also Barton didnt even touch Silvas legs if u see it again Silva made a bit of a meal of it was more like Bartons thigh hitting Silvas ar*e when silva jumped and silva was actually lookin for the foul hence the reason he turned into barton and jumped

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM

casmag
    You wouldnt be sad if Silva had his leg broken….how very sad

Of course the tackle was meant the consquences were the accident, he stopped us attacking and didnt pick up a card that is his job as a CDM so he got congratulated.

At the end of the day De Jong apologised and HBA accepted if they can get over it why cant we? I have no ill will towards De Jong or Man City and I would never be happy for another player to get crocked

• magpiebop

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:39 PM

We owe the b’stards one.

• joppadoni

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM

just watched QI episode 1 season 1
    another example of irony WWJBD.. classic this like :-
    ‘An army bomb unit was called to investigate a suspicious-looking package outside the Territorial Army unit in Bristol. They blew up the package with a controlled explosion, only to discover that it was a parcel of leaflets explaining how to deal with suspicious packages.’

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Look hang on where did I say anything about breaking anybodies leg? a crumpled heap and snapped in half were my exact words if i’m not mistaken.No I wouldn’t be happy to see any player sustain any type of broken bones but a not so gentle reminder that they’re in a game what’s wrong with that?We as a team need to be able to mix it up as shown against Stoke so why shouldn’t Man City have to against us?

• WWJBD

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Sorry mate I maybe misunderstood but to me saying a player gets snapped in two implies they get a broken bone or injury

If your on about a tough game then yeah thats part of football and thats fair. Again my apologises but I took it as being for injuring City players which angers me to read such talk

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Personally I would prefer Ben Arfa to score a hat trick and to win the game,but I think that’s unlikely.

• bambams

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I see FIFA have banned England team from wearing poppies on the shirt…… Can anyone, anyone offer any genuine reason why FIFA should do this !

Sickens me!

• casmag

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM

WWJBD At the end of the day all we as Newcastle fans want is for the team to do well, so no probs mate