Stuart Peace Delighted With England Debut Of Sammy Ameobi

Former Newcastle left back Stuart Pearce, now managing the England U21 side told Sammy Ameobi, after his England U21 debut on Thursday night, that he was delighted with the youngster’s performance and thought Sammy played really well.

Sammy Ameobi – Pearce impressed with the Newcastle youngster

The 19 year-old had only been called up to the squad on Tuesday evening, because of injuries to the squad,  and had expected a quiet time on the bench.

But an injury to Nathan Delfouneso after only  11 minutes, forced a substitution and Sammy got his chance.

And he  took his chance in great style, and made some very good runs down the left wing, and played the rest of the game.

The youngster stands 6’3″ tall, one inch taller than his older brother Shola, and with his height and gangly way of running, and those long legs of his, we’re sure defenders are not quite how or where to tackle him. 😀

But make no mistake about it, this Newcastle-born youngster has every chance to come through and be a top player for Newcastle, and better than his brother, and the lad certainly has the confidence and temperament to become a great player for Newcastle.

This is what Sammy said after the game:

“It was amazing to make my international debut,” “It hasn’t really sunk in yet. It’s been an amazing few months for me. I’ve been given the opportunity to play for Newcastle, and I’ve now had the opportunity to play for England Under 21s. It’s been amazing.”

“I couldn’t quite believe what happened  on Thursday night. I thought it would be a quiet night for me, and that I may get ten or 15 minutes at the end if I was lucky. But one of the boys got injured and I got my opportunity.”

“I wasn’t nervous. I thought I would, but I was quite confident in my ability and just wanted to get out there and do well for the team.” “I was happy with my performance. In the last ten minutes my legs began to feel a bit heavy, but we put in a very strong performance and it was great to get the win.”

“It was a hard debut, but I thought I fitted in quite well and was pleased with it. Stuart Pearce  said afterwards that he was delighted with my performance and that I played really well.”  “That is great to hear and hopefully I get another opportunity and go on from there.”

“We have Belgium on Monday and I hope to be involved again.” “It’s more experience and more games, which is what I need at this point,”  “I need to keep building in confidence and playing at a higher level all the time. “

“I’m absolutely buzzing with what has happened with Newcastle and England so far, and just want to take that forward now.”

Alan Pardew had talked to the 19 year-old before he left on Tuesday night to join up with the England squad, and Alan told him to play for England as he played for Newcastle.

And it seems he did just that, and caught the eye with his performance, and we’ll have to see if he is involved in England’s next game in Belgium on Monday night.

We’d like to see him start that game on Monday night, but also come through it  uninjured, as he is likely to be on the Newcastle bench for the very important game at Manchester City next Saturday afternoon.

• LewSpi

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Sorry about the repost…

Reading the comments on the last article and some people need to look at the sponsor situation realistically, the club needs a sponsor, there is no way it can’t have one. Also, the stadium name is not going to be renamed St. James’ Park, as much as anyone wants it to be, if I have learned anything about Mike Ashley, particularly recently, its that it tends to be his way and his way only.

So, we have established that we need a shirt sponsor and that ‘we are looking for a sponsor for the stadium’. What respectable, successful business is going to see it as a viable interest to their company to invest, what 25-40 million, into a football team that is in uproar?

The only way to get rid of ‘ The Sports Direct Arena’ and to prevent Sports Direct being plastered all over the shirt, which is what will happen if there isn’t a sponsor found by new year, is to forget about it, get behind the team and focus on the football.

It pains me to say it, but like I said think about it rationally, I hate Sports Direct as much as the next guy, I think it’s incredibly tacky and certainly not something I want to see ruining our Black and White stripes, but the only way to prevent this from happening is to ignore it, no petitions, no chants at the game, just focus on the team.

To be honest its a shame the limelight has been taken away from the team, we’re unbeaten you know?

• giimps

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Go on Sammy………show your Bro how its done

• roshan MAGPIE

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:50 AM

i would like to see ranger get a chance and do those impact sub s with SAMMY ranger IS a tank with nitrous ranger have a really bad attitude i know that but he also has some awesome talent even ben arfa has got a bad attitude but still gets the chance barton has the bad attitude still got the chance why cant ranger he IS the REAL deal

• Stuart

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Ranger shouldnt even be allowed to lick the first team players boots clean, nevermind play in the first team, he’s burned his bridges at the toon now.

@LewSpy – How exactly would ignoring the whole sponsorship thing prevent it? That is ridiculous. Now that Northern Rock have pulled out I cant help but see Sports Direct as our next shirt sponsor and its an awful thought.

MA isnt going to turn down another chance of free advertising.

• magpie6699

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

LewSpi – I concur totally. I can’t get too steamed up about it. I’ve really tried to get angry and indignant – but I can’t. Sorry. Football fans will always call the place St James’s. Does anyone remember that the great Sir John Hall once considered moving the stadium to somewhere like the Metro Centre? Now THAT would have been something to get angry about!
    As far as sponsorship goes, yes, let’s get more money in. Any sensible sponsor might find a way to keep the name somewhere within the “Andrex Puppy Arena ” logo or whatever.

• magpie6699

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Stuart – agree about Ranger – and not sure that Ranger is the REAL deal, Roshan – promising, talented, yes – but goals? Attitude? Playing for the team?
    My understanding is that Northern Rock decided not to continue their option several months ago. Also, anyone stop to think what “Northern Rock” means to people around the country? It is associated with failure, incompetence – oh, maybe we should keep it! No, seriously, if we do get a sponsor I hope it’s one that is recognised as successful – O2, Gregg’s or whoever.

• Stuart

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Its not that I loved Northern Rock or anything magpie. Its the fact that I can see Sports Direct being the new shirt sponsor, and I can’t see MA paying a penny for it.

• beddersmag

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:39 AM

As lewispy said, the only way to prevent sports direct being on the shirt is to keep quiet and hope a big brand is not scared off by carefully selected pictures of wild fans foaming at the mouth and waving ashley out banners when we are flying in the league. Then we get some actual money coming in- instead of a tax reduction scam. As far as the stadium name goes i have a different take- to change the name you would need council approval, changes to signage etc. Ashley would know this and to make this announcement out of the blue smacks of a publicity stunt. You cant change st james park as the park itself is publicly owned i believe and has stood for centuries (built over a monastery?) But how much is everyone across the world now talking about sports direct? “bad publicity best” He also knows everyone would continue to call it st james so who cares if a commentator has to call it something else? lets hope hes demonstrating a way to generate income in preparation for a sale, and in the meantime focus on how well the team is playing!

• cupiddstunt

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Stuart it really does not make any economic sense whatsoever for SD to get free advertising.

I may be proved wrong but look at it this way NUFC take on SD logos so SD is getting advertising space, so SD as you claim do not pay for said space at the end of the year SD have more profit as they did not waste as much money on advertising, so the tax man takes a bigger chunk of the profit.

NUFC still need a bit of cash say 10 mil as they are not yet solvent, MA has to put his hand in his pocket once again.

Now look at it the way I see it, NUFC have advertising space SD take on that advertising space at full market value there is less profit for SD at the end of the tax year so less for the tax man to take.

NUFC have some sponsorship cash that can be invested into the club so that benefits the club and MA does not have to dip into his pocket and find another 10 mil to loan the club.

Now before you dive in with a reply just look at the logic of the comment, MA is very, very shrewd where money is concerned so if SD do not pay for their advertising space it is only because there is another way around reducing the tax bill.

Now tell me you “still can’t see MA paying a penny for it” and I will point you in the direction of Santa Clause’s house.

Now one other question for you, just who is it that claims SD is not already paying for their name being on the stadium and where is their proof?

• beddersmag

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Ranger- what a shame hes such a tool because i have seen him have games where his hold up play in particular has been as good as iv ever seen for a player that age! lets get rid but insert a sell on clause because when he eventually grows up, and if he can start scoring, he could be top player

• LEROI

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I’m glad Sammy’s talent has been noticed & even more glad it was Psycho that selected him. These are 2 of my favourite Toon players past and present in 1 international team. Sam’s one for the future & at newcastle the future could become the present in an instant if Sameobi keeps his form up.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Ranger has had so many chances and blown them all!

You can,t really compare him to Barton coz Barton finally grew up and cemented his place in the first team!
    And was a good player when he left us!

I say loan Ranger out( or sell him ) to Chris Hughton at Birmingham.
    Getting rid of Barton to QPR for, nota bena,” nothing”! may well come back to haunt us! Big mistake on our part and not surprising that Warnock was extremely pleased with his new signing.

Really pleased for Sammy who will end up being a much better player than his big Bro!

• LEROI

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM

This is the 1st time i think i’ve ever been botherd about an England U21 but I’m getting excited to see Sammy do well for Us on Monday, I missed the last 1 because i was stuck at work! Go on Sammy get ya 1st goal!!

• veto

Nov 12, 2011 at 6:12 PM

i think sammy is going to frustrate and delight in equal measures , the lad certainly has tricks up his sleeve , but with his frame ive seen him fall over the ball like his brother does on more than one occasion .
    he must be doing more behind the scene as padrew puts him in the same sentance as HBA when talking about flair players

• Lee Dodd

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

You Can Just See it – if Sammy Scores Were on The Pitch and then all Hell Breaks Loose on The International Scene !!! Well Done Sammy Amiobi Geordie & England Legend !!