It Will Be An Emotional Day For Hatem Ben Arfa

It was on October 3rd last year at Manchester City,  that Ben Arfa broke his left leg in two places, and was out of the game for almost 10 months.

Ben Arfa – in action against Wigan

And it was a rather vicious tackle from Dutchman Nigel De Jong, after only 3 minutes,  and the tackle didn’t even get a yellow card from referee Martin Atkinson.

Ben Arfa has shown an awful lot of courage over this past year, and while he’s not back in the starting line-up at Newcastle yet, he’s slowly but surely working his way back to full fitness and match sharpness.

The 24 year-old has appeared six times this season for the Magpies, to make it 10 total appearances for the French International, who is likely to get a run out in the second half on Saturday.

Ben Arfa has talked to the local press today:

“The fans were there for me and encouraged me during that time.”  “I am very happy to be back now. The comeback was very hard for me.

“Now I can just look forward and hope we can achieve some great things this season.”

“Everybody is settling in well at Newcastle.”  “The team needs to keep pushing forward and make the season a success.”

Ben Arfa has found the new players that came in over the summer,  as well as the existing players in top form for Newcastle this season, and other good players like Dan Gosling, Sylvain Marveaux, Danny Guthrie and others have also found first team play very difficult to come by.

The French international has started twice in the Carling Cup at Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rovers,  and we’re sure he will have a big part to play for Newcastle as the season progresses.

Hey, maybe he can score the winning goal on Saturday?

What a story that would be.

• king123

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM

1st!!! big shout out to keveymartins!

• kevymartins

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

2nd Big shout out to king123 😉 I rember the match last year the first couple mins benny was tearing them apart thats why tevez n de jong targeted him…funny thing was i herd the snap on tv n the refs didnt even stop play..+they got a pen what shuda been a fk an ameobi got took out in there box…that ref was a right biast tit

• Ollieh51

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM

And didn’t Jonas score a banger in the game too?!

• Benton Toon Exile

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I doubt HBA will actually get a game!

I think Tiote will get a red card on Sat as he will be pumped up after missing a few games, he cant take losing and they will target him!

• cyprus

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM

If HBA produces on Sat, we’ll be ok

• kizza

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Well Obatan is obviously injured, maurvoux is struggling. So on the left I think Mr Sammi Ameobi is going to catch the eye. Unless we change formation. Then i would play 4-3-3. with Best and Ba upfront and benny boy playing just behind

• Brutooon

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:46 PM

HBA will take several more subs appearance before he is back to his best.

maybe Santon at Left Back and Raylor at RW for saturday?

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Can’t see him getting much of a game tbh. If its a tight game Pards will stick with what’s working at the time

See Obertan is hopefully going to be fit for City game so job done hopefully back to our starting 11

• israeli_fan

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Well I must say i was wrong in the summer, all the new players settled nicely and we don’t miss Enrique, Nolan and Carroll at all. The only one who I still could be a great player with us is Barton, but it wasn’t to be.

Even though Ba and Cabaye reaped all the praises, for me the best player was Saylor, closely followed by Raylor and Jonas.

About Ben Arfa- I hope he will get back to his oldself as he is looking so slow, and his decisions are shocking.

HTL!

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Saylor our best player? Nar can’t see that like not even our best defender imo

• davybtoon

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Pardew in chronicle reckons obertan could b fit for sat, honestly think we’re gonna get something from that game been saying it for weeks now there’s no reason why we can’t

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:25 PM

davy
    No reason other than the fact City are amazing? Haha when Obertan is the hope for our team that scares me!

• Toon_Jock

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I see the Dutch made another mistake by not handing Krul the No1 shirt last night 🙂

When will they learn!! 3-0

• Paul P

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:27 PM

if obertan is out, marveoux is out then i reckon sammy will get the call. although me personally would like to see ben arfa play right side and cut in and roam around. it could go like this, he has a point to prove, back at the crime scene, how ironic would it be if he was to play outstanding and to create and score a goal in an empathatic win. i would have tiote in the midfield with cabeye, sorry danny guthrie as he has played out of his skin but if we are going to get something from the game we need to compete in midfield with de jong, barry and toure so you have to put them in. i would play santon instead of danny simpson. he was at fault for the everton goal, lost rodwell too easily.

• niafron

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

My favourite subject! As the self proclaimed Ben arfa greatest specialist in the world, i give you my opinion:

Beny was fit against everton. He was resilient to challenges shoulder against shoulder, an excellent sign.

And he was also quicker. So, would have been an offensive time for NUFC, he would have showed some skills in attack.

But he defended well, and was excellent to cary the ball out of the danger zone.

So, i think he’s ready now.

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM

@WWJBD

Citeh are goin’ to lose maybe 3 games this season on their way to the title so one or two of those might as well be us.
    Obertoon is improving and is pretty good at covering back imo.

@Paul
    I wouldn’t blame Simmo for Rodwell’s goal but would probably still play Santon – you can’t ever defend 100% against a player as good as him.
    Maybe Guthrie makes 3 in midfield though, plays box to box ?

• dimkinss

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:14 PM

No leave simpson! Santon in right back is ok. Guti on the left. We need players who can hold on to the ball in midfield. Guthrie wnt be bad if santon dnt play. Its goin to be the midfield that will decide the game. We need someone to hold SILVA down.. Down hard! We need to close d game down! If u give man city space, ull be severly punished for it.

• PureGeordie

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Niafron

what did you say a while back about ben arfa and his hobbies were? you said something about him not being the average footballer of the pitch. im just interested because i know your a keen ben arfa fan!

• Scottishtoon95

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I was reading one of the pre-match things online and a manc had the cheek to say “their thug tiote better not injure silva”! I was fuming.

• niafron

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

@Pure geordie.

Hatem Ben arfa is interested by philosophy and spirituality.

It’s all about is friendship with the famous french singer, Abdelmalik.

Abdelmalik is graduated in philosophy of the Strasbourg university and he’s a Soufi disciple.

Some of my relatives seen Ben arfa with abdelmalik in Berkane.
    This city is in the Oujda area, in north east Morocco (my father is from there).

Berkane is Known to be the place of Sidi Hamza, the greatest living Soufi master and the one who teached Abdelmalik.

So i guess Benarfa was there to meet the master.
    Ben arfa also claimed to be a reader of Hegel and Kant.
    And Abddelmalik probably studied closely these greats germans philosopher at Strasbourg university.

Well, it would be long to explain, but there’s some link between the soufi tradition, and the metaphysicals concerns of european philosophy during the 17th, 18th and 19 th centuries.

And Abdelmalik studied that. As he’s one of the Ben arfa’s closest friend, i suppose he teach him about that.

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:39 PM

angels
    Not saying we wont win but just because Obertan is back doesnt mean we have no reason not to get something from the game. A good reason is quite frankly they are better than us.
    Also didnt say Obertan was bad, if you look to a post earlier I said I was happy he was coming back….doesnt mean City game is any easier though

• kizza

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Imagine thrashing city and someone like ben arfa / sammi ameobi got a hatrick. I would cry with happiness

• BoomBoom

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I think I saw the same thing. Hope to to silva limping off in the first half even more now!!

I honestly think or team ethic and work rate will make sure this is at least a tight game.

And let’s stop the Obertan bashing he goes passed people and relieves pressure on our defence and midfield, and one in a while has and end product, even if he does look like a cashew nut!!

2-1 toon.

HWTL

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM

niafron
    I would have to disagree that Benny boy is ready, physically I dont think he is up to speed and his team work was good against Blackburn but in the last few games has been very lone soldier mentality imo

Everton Ba was visibly annoyed when he wouldnt pass him the ball. Why we are doing so well imo is because we are playing for each other and any player coming in without being focused on doing that will only disrupt atm

ps nice to see you knocking around niafron mate place hasent been the same without your french insights

• niafron

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM

@WWJBD

Don’t think Ba was annoyed fot they are close friends… Both of them came from “Les hauts de Seine”, the 92th district of France. They are really close of what i know.

Furthermore, i agree to say Beny’s performances were average against Wigan or Tottenham, but concerning Everton, i honnestly found he was good.

And sorry to not be here frequently, but i do not have computer at home now.

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM

niafron
    Hey mate I love my friends but at times they bug the hell out of me 😉 I was in the end NUFC we attacking when Benny came on against Everton and trust me Ba’s face was not a pleased one when he was ready to recieve the ball only for HBA to carry on by himself and lose it

Happened more than once as well. Not saying he was bad but he disrupted the work ethic of the team imo

Some of the crowd were turning on him as well which is hugely unfair as they are the ones who placed this pressure to be ‘our star player’ on the kid after a handful of games for us but hey thats the fickle football fan.

No bother mate my involment in this blog has dropped a fair bit as well

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM

WWJBD
    Yeh Citeh better than us but my point is that of they are going to take the title with say three losses all season then at least one of them might as well be us.
    Obertoon has a way to go to reach form we’d like to see but if he has a game like the Stoke match he’d justify his selection.
    I have a mate who supports Rangers and he reckoned Loverman was always inconsistent for them but had a habit of raising his game for the big matches. Maybe Obertoon is going to be a bit like that.
    Agree Benny is not ready for this level of challenge yet and needs to be more of a team player.

• WWJBD

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM

angels
    Yeah we might win fair one but my point was more davy boy is getting a bit over excited imo
    As for Obertan he would currently be my starting RW as Marv is out so I have no issue with his selection and I hope he does bring his A game on Saturday but City are another level atm I think we are agreeing tbh mate just putting it in different ways

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM

The trouble with HBAand the pressure thats on him is that he was elevated to superstar status after that great game against Everton and you tube clips,I remember some of Ed’s comments like ”when the GREAT Ben Arfa returns” talking about him in the same breath as a Shearer or Beardsley, when to be fair to the lad we havent really seen much of him at all.So now when he’s not doing something magical he’s going to be accused of not being ready yet.

• niafron

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Well, lads, i swear, Bény got a gift for passing. Look at this vid:

His default is some times to try very difficult things. So in a bad day, it result in a lot of ball losses.

• niafron

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:42 PM

In fact, this pressure on HBA is excellent. He need it.

• a_magpie_2

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

It’d be nice to see HBA up to speed before being thrust into the next three matches. However we are where we are. I think, if fit, to bring him on as a super sub, late on in games is great for now. He should hopefully be full of running after the next three matches and give most teams a heck of a time with his dazzling skills. It’s going to take time to build confidence. Can’t wait to see him in the later part of the season with a few games under his belt.

• toondra

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM

how can ben arfa get the sharpness and the rythm of the games if he doesn’t play?
    ben arfa even at 50 per cent can create more than the starting players there.
    And it’s false to say ben arfa cannot defend, he was left winger at marseille and he did the job well. I m so tired of the players who play lateral pass or backward, who defend hard and they described as terrific.
    Forward football we want ahah
    I WANT TO SEE BEN ARFA PLAY, JUST FOR HIS UNIQUE STYLE

howay the lads

• israeli_fan

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Off topic… I’ve had a bet with a friend… I say Adan Johnson is a Newcastle supporter and he says Sunderland..

Someone, who knows for sure, can clarify please? thanks!

• Toon_Jock

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Adan Johnson is a Mackem – think I heard that in an interview last season.. after he scored against us 🙁

• Toon_Jock

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Or I’m I thinking about the game when he scored against Sunderland?!? not sure bout that but fairly sure he is a Mackem….

• israeli_fan

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:57 PM

50% say newcastle, 50% say sunderland.. i remember a video of him when he said newcastle… i hope im right, i bet him 50$ and i broke!

• surrey_toon

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM

newcastle to beat city is 10-1 with blue square bet and they match your bet when u join i just put a tenner on and they put it up to 20

• djm...

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Johnson is a Newcastle fan, his family is from sunderland and he is a prodigy of the boro academy.