Pardew Influences Ben Arfa, de Jong Meeting – Talks About Naming Rights

Ben Arfa has declined the request from Nigel de Jong, that he would come over and meet with the Frenchman before tomorrow’s game at Newcastle’s hotel.

Nigel de Jong – in action against former skipper Kevin Nolan

But Alan Pardew has stepped in and said it’s okay meeting with the Dutchman, but only after the game, not before, so that presumably is now what will happen.

This is what Alan had to say about the offer from de Jong:

“I agreed with it but it wasn’t under instruction from me. De Jong actually said ‘I will come to the hotel or see you before the game’, but Hatem said, ‘No, I will see you after’.”

“I don’t think you should before the game. We’re going into battle and also I think after the game is probably a good time for those kind of things.”

“You can carry some demons after an injury like that and I have had a chat with him and he has assured me he has no problems going back there.”

“He has no problems with the particular player. That player has contacted him, which I appreciate. He has said he wants to see Hatem and we’ve said after the game, not before. Hopefully that will then come to rest.”

“I wasn’t the manager at the time but I thought it was a bad tackle and unfortunately Hatem suffered a severe injury. More than a year down the line, and it has taken a long time.”

” I think Hatem is getting back to his best which is good news for us.”

It’s a good gesture by the Dutchman, but it’s just a pity he couldn’t have done this a lot sooner, but certainly better late than never.

And we have seen in some reports that journalists are referring to the Newcastle ground as the Sports Direct Arena – how strange.

This is what Newcastle boss had to say about Ashley’s decision to sell the naming rights to the highest bidder:

“For the traditionalists amongst our fans, I think it’s something they are upset at,”

“But it is still in the same place and it’s still the Gallowgate End and we still have your tradition of walking to the stadium from the center of town.”

“On the other side of the coin, of course, commercially, it will attract a big sponsor, we hope, and give us extra revenue to go forward.”

Mike has said he doesn’t mind at all if the fans keep calling it St. James’  Park,  and the only one who will suffer will be the sponsor of course.

• GeordieToon89

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

He hasnt declined atall he said he’ll see him after the game

• ash-out

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Went into subway for my breakfast this morning and asked for the biggest, greasiest, most expensive sub…….. they gave me the Andy Carroll.

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Putting De Jong off until after the game’s a shrewd move – it’ll certainly make him temper his game!

And these simple words from Pardew: – “Mike has said he doesn’t mind at all if the fans keep calling it St. James’ Park, and the only one who will suffer will be the sponsor of course.

“Mike doesn’t care, just as long as he can up to £10M a year from a brand that wants to have their name associated with Newcastle’s stadium.

“We will not call the Newcastle ground anything other than St. James’ Park – that’s what it’s always been to us, and will remain so.”

It couldn’t be plainer…. where’s the problem with having St James’ Park commercially braded? Beats me why the hullaballoo!

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I must learn how to spell branded
    I must learn how to spell branded
    I must learn how to spell branded…..

I must learn how to spell braded

• GoalsBringSmiles

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM

we would recieve the comparitively low 10 million a year from MA if he actually paid for the advertising of his brand-instead he gets free advertising all over the world and us fans pay for it by losing part of our identity-the name change is a disgrace and those who condone it are an embarassment to our club. If he invested more in the squad to maintain our standing as a european club then we wouldn’t need to sell our naming rights much the same way that man utd and liverpool for example, don’t need to sell theirs, this move reeks of more profiteering for MA not Newcastle Utd and the fans-it is a purely commercial not a footballing decision.

At least some fans have the bo11ocks to take action, congratulations to #harrysbrick

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Richard Branson…

“We decided to keep the bank in Newcastle. I love coming to Newcastle and some of the best staff who have ever worked for me have been Geordies”

And if he’s spotted at SJP, well……. .

• BlueMancunian

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM

The tackle was a great shame. I can assure you that Nigel De Jong goes round growling and snapping but never goes in to hurt anyone.

His trailing leg caught Ben Arfa. Hope he will make a full recovery

Anyway, I wish the Toon all the best after tomorrow, of course

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:03 PM

GBS… perhaps you could tell us precisely why Ashley should (personally presumably?) invest more in the squad to maintain its standing as a european club?

Surely he’s trying to get the club (the business) to be successful and run at little or no cost – seems sensible to me.

• MacToon

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Maybe some of the £59 mil Ashley has made in transfers since he’s owned the club could have been set aside for transfers before renaming the stadium.

Newcastle Net spend:
    2011-2012 -£5,500,000
    2010-2011 -£29,964,000
    2009-2010 -£18,290,800
    2008-2009 -£5,478,000

Net spend -(minus)£59,232,800

Figures taken from this site:

• GoalsBringSmiles

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Because it is a football club and to consistently compete at this level investment is required. A football club should not be abused as a mere business venture because it is more than a business to most people and as history has persistently shown the teams who win are the teams who spend-just spending the money from player sales would be a start but yes some of his pesonal wealth would be useful as a short term investment-he would soon make his money back from revenue recieved by playing in a european competition as well as from the increased payments for higher PL finishing positions.

What is sad is that you say it yourself-he is running the club to be a succesful business-this does not necessarily mean a succesful football club-self-sufficiency and profit are on the agenda and this can be achieved without winning even a wooden spoon, so long as we stay in that top ten MA will lose no money and so he can quite happily maintain us in a state of stagnation, as long as his brand is advertised and the fans keep pouring in he will not feel obliged to invest more to push us on to compete at the top, this it seems would be too much of a risk for him and his pocket.

The problem is fans like you who seem to be complicit with the regime and more interested in financial stability than in footballing achievement and tradition. Yes I agree it is sensible to stabalise the club finacnially etc. however, there must be a balance between business interests and footballing interests-I personally believe that MA only has eyes for money and pies not footballing success.

• geordiejohn42

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM

The last paragraph just says it all and I hope that Ashley reads that statement and get it through the FCB’s think brain ( in his case a brainPEA!!!)

• Scottishtoon95

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM

don’t know that I want to visit the virgin stadium or have a massive vigin slogan on my newcastle strip.

• Geordie Jonny

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:44 PM

What’s that you say?

• ToonMobile

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:46 PM

@ GoalsBringSmiles post 10

Totally agree with your comments. The benefits to finishing higher up the table and in regular Euro competition via squad investement would completely outweigh the £10million (at most) that we could get from a sponsor name on the stadium. Why some people do not get that the loss of the name St James’ Park is bad is beyond me. All we have to show for it so far is the promise of a sponsor giving us around £10 million – if one can be found – but MA has of course his free advertising – anyone care to guess at the odds on how long it will take to find a sponsor who is willing to pay enough to make it worth MA while to remove all his adverts from the stadium? Oh yeah and I suppose they will also have to be a non-competitor to Sports D***** since I doubt MA will allow a competitor to advertise in one of his businesses?

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Scottishtoon95 – if its to be the Virgin stadium, I can’t see attendance being very high!

Think about it……..

ToonMobile, GBS…. of course I want success as you do and am not denying the need for investment to progress and have European and Prem success. One step at a time eh, let’s progress up the table, work our way into and through competitions and yes the increased revenue would, I’m sure be directed towards players among other things, but what MA’ll be looking for is that the club generated its own revenues.

It’ll take time and sponsorship would help it happen as the Fair Play rules apply to the cash-rich who are happy to spread their wealth towards thier clubs.

We’re in far better shape than most clubs and time and developing success will enhance our image, the Newcastle United brand thus creating new revenue streams which would be is invested…….. and so it goes on..

• moonraker

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM

If HBA gets on the pitch in the last half hour tomorrow which I think is likely, I’m hoping he lets his feet do the talking.

It may well get to De Jong more than HBA, cos if he injures him again he’s gonna have a hell of a reputation and he will be aware of this whatever he thinks!

I’ve got a very unreasonable optimism at the moment. In previous years I would fear a hammering, but with this squad I cant see it and think we’ll get a point at least!!

• toonincheek

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I wouldn’t object to a toon shirt with Virgin written across it.

Good talking point !

• moonraker

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I think the idea is to have more money through schemes such as Stadium naming etc. in order to enable us to afford a squad to get into europa and then CL.

However I still think Ashley will retain the naming as SD as, if it’s worth a major company paying £10 mil for the rights then the revenues from advertising must be worth more so why not keep it yourself? it’s a no-brainer!!

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:26 PM

TM, GBS….. re club self-sufficiency….

Man City announce losses of £194 million for the year !

They’ll be successful but at what price? Need I say any more?

• ToonMobile

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:28 PM

lesh – so far the stadium renaming has only one winner, MA and his other business due to the free advertising it is getting. MA has obviously valued the naming rights at £10million per year since DL has been stating that figure as his rough estimate. If MA honestly had NUFC’s best interest at heart don’t you think the approach should have been taken to either 1- Actually wait to get a sponsor and change the name then, there is really no need to “demonstrate” how it will look is there? 2- Asked Sports D***** to actually pay the money for the stadium name change which he has essentially given his other company for free – which makes sense to his overall business strategy obviously but doesn’t help NUFC does it?

If no-one comes along wanting the stadium name (or the shirt name for that matter) what do we do then? The name change then becomes only beneficial to one party – MA. Will he take free shirt sponsorship as his next step since “we tried everything but no-one was interested” ? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but so far only one winner in my eyes. What other avenues are going to be attempted to bring in more revenue? Asking people for a contribution at their seats at half time perhaps? 🙂

• Basogeordie

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM

The ignorant Bigots’ are back out in force, when will they realise that it is them that is damaging the club. There was a mention of Football Achievement earlier, what exactly have we achieved in recent years??? What would your opinions be if we see success under the MA regime? What would you say if MA did sell the club only for someone to send it into bankruptcy??
    Learn from your mistakes. The AC sale was for the benefit of the club, Alan Pardew is not part of the cockney mafia (nor is MA he is from Berkshire) and not tactically inept, the summer signings are proving their worth contrary to what you all stated. We are moving forwards as a club and are in front of others in terms of how a club should be ran. Get with the programme and drop your ignorant bigoted views!!

Good god what on earth makes you think someone should run our club to lose money when we have fans like you??
    We all want success and for our club to be challenging for trophy’s so stop trying to unstabalise the club and lets see if we can win a trophy…..43 years and waiting

• Basogeordie

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Good post from Bluemanc, goodluck for the season except when we meet!

• ToonMobile

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:37 PM

@19 lesh – sorry posted before I saw your last one – yeah I agree we don’t want to be in a loss making situation like that but aren’t we supposed to be breaking even this year anyway without naming rights or a new shirt sponsor due to the changes already made at the club? – so the only debt we owe is on MA loans with no loses on top each year generated by the club – so I don’t think we are financially in such a bad situation to require the step to offer the name rights package to increase our income? Just my opinion though 🙂

• ToonMobile

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Not wishing to start some kind of war of words here but @ 21 statement “what exactly have we achieved in recent years” – hmm well that depends on your definition of recent but I for one won’t forget being at or near the top of the Premiership table, regular European football, 2 FA Cup finals, 1 semi final, 1 EUFA Cup semifinal – or does that all not count since we didn’t actually win anything? I’m sure a lot of clubs fans would want the “success” that we have had if they could, if only for the memories and the fact that we were so close to some silverware.

• Basogeordie

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Toonmobile I’m sure you would agree it would of been 100x sweeter if those memory’s would include some silverware of only Bobby would of left Barca for us! I’m sure we would of won something. Don’t get me wrong those days were special times.

• ToonMobile

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM

I agree Basogeordie special times indeed and sweeter had things worked out different but special nonetheless – our history is emotional to us all and St James’ Park was part of that. Peace 🙂

• Basogeordie

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Renaming is a sensitive subject but what difference does it make we will all call our Home SJP the city will still call it SJP it will only be the owners of the naming rights and media that will see it otherwise. I won’t go into yr views of MA or his/our clubs money as it will drag on till 2012!

SJP remains!

Have a good weekend and let’s hope we get a result

• lesh

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM

ToonMobile @23, yup, we’re looking good financially and on course to near break-even this year. Don’t you wonder how we’d look had it not been for this season’s player sales income (against small spend)? Also, there’s the small matter of repaying MA’s loans to clear. When we’ve done that and acheived break-even, then we’re well on the road to the success we all hope for. Maybe 10m a year’d from stadium branding may help?

Anyway, have a good weekend all and in particular, look forward to a respectable result at Citeh!