Newcastle Could Have Goalkeeping Problem

It seems like Alan Pardew is a big admirer of the two goalkeepers in today’s Manchester City vs Newcastle game at the Eitihad Stadium.

Tim Krul – in great form for Newcastle United

Alan Pardew has talked to the local press today about the two International goalkeepers on display today:

“For the neutral, it’ll be a good comparison between the two keepers,” “They’re both of similar size and have similar attributes.”

“They’re both very good on the back pass, their distribution is good and, of course, the most important thing is that they’re great at making saves.”

“They’ve both done terrific. Tim’s been excellent for us, but I really like Joe Hart, he’s an excellent goalie and he’s done brilliantly for England.”

Krul seems to have put an end to the short time that Steve Harper was undisputed number one at Newcastle, after Shay Given left for Manchester City in January of 2009.

Steve had two and a half seasons as the  number one goalkeeper at Newcastle,  and has so far played 191 times for Newcastle, but Steve’s been at the club since 1993.

In those two and a half years Steve was number one goalkeeper, Newcastle were relegated, then got promoted and had a steady first season in the Premier League last term, to stabilize their position as a Premier League side. So the 36 year-old did the job for his home town club.

This season  Newcastle seem to have taken off, and the 23 year-old Dutch goalkeeper has so far been superb for the Magpies between the sticks.

Steve Harper is currently on loan at Brighton, and has played four times for the south coast club, but his loan spell is up early next week, so it’s an open question as to whether Pardew will allow him to extend his stay at Brighton.

But it seems that Pardew has some trust in the untested 25 year-old Robbie Elliot, as he had this to say about Steve today:

“I’m not sure about the Christmas period because it’s a busy time,”  “But for the next month, the loan looks okay. We’ll have to get through Saturday unscathed ourselves and then have a look.”

If Tim gets injured we would be just a little concerned about whether Rob Elliot could get the job done, simply because we haven’t seen him play too much, and he’s never played in the Premier League.

If that happened, and Tim missed some games,  we don’t know if Alan would bring Harper back from his loan spell, but we think he would probably give Robbie a chance.

Newcastle still have Fraser Forster on loan at Celtic, but we have  a sneaking suspicion that Newcastle could let him go, and as early as January if Celtic make a decent offer over £2M, for the Hexham born 6’7″ goalkeeper.

We’d be a lot happier if Steve Harper was the back-up goalkeeper, simply because he’s experienced and shown he can do the job for Newcastle, and we just cannot say that right now about Robbie Elliot.

But not surprisingly Harper is keen to get playing time, since it’s so late in his career, and we cannot blame him for that.

Newcastle also have top youngster, 18 year-old  Jak Alnwick,   coming through quickly and the England U20 goalkeeper is currently on loan at Gateshead, but has recently let people know that his aim is to be the Newcastle number one,  as soon as possible.

What do you think about the back up goalkeepers at the moment?

• DarloGeordie

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Krul, Simpson, Taylor, Raylor and Colo… A defence that has hardly been changed for years and we have the best defensive record….

• UpTheRoad

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I had my heart in my mouth there! Don’t let Forster go he’s made mistakes but so has everybody. Give him a chance – look at Messi he was rejected in Argentina then turned out to be the world’s best player. Not saying this is Forster haha but you know he might be!

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Thanks for making me crap my pants Ed I thought Krul was injured with that title

Haha I’d rather have Harps then Elliot but purely because I have no knowledge of Elliot and Harps is a personal pick of mine

• sweendog

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM

anyone know can you buy a junior 7/8 year old kit or can you only buy them seperate..
    As for today no tiote means cabaye is gonna play deeper, gonna be nightmare but 1=0 the toon 🙂

• skiptoon

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM

We’re spoilt with some v good keepers. This year’s loans should satisfy most, but next summer there’s proabably some decisions to make.
    I’d go for Krul & Forster as 1&2 and help Harps move into a coaching role, even if that’s on loan to begin with.
    Then assess Alnwick and Elliot for 3rd spot while the other goes on loan.

• Burni

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Yeah the goalkeeping problem is that we have too many hehe! Not bad not bad.

Off topic… What are peeps predictions for today? I think we should
    be cities second toughest test but I can’t see anything other than a loss I’m afraid. Anyone else?…

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Mother of God, almost had a heart attack with that headline..

• Ben_W

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I think Fraser Forster is really good! Would love to have him back off loan as a number 2, but personally I reckon he’s too good to be left on a bench as a number 2, and would rather be at Celtic unfortunately. I also thought Krul was injured from the title! haha scary stuff!

• sweendog

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:06 AM

burni.. a loss is the most realistic ..however they have a champ game next week and I’m hoping some of the players are keeping themselves for that so we could get a draw but we need to get at them from the start .. I actually think the defense isn’t all that good .. but the midfield and strikers are awesome unfortunately ..
    wonder if Arfa and Ba can open them up .. Arfa on his day and I think so ..

• countrylad14

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I mentioned this the other day on another thread but it seems a lot more relevant on this…

I think this summer could see us going from having extreme strength in depth in the goalkeeping department to having very little experienced cover.

I see both Forster and Harper leaving for pastures new for 1st team football as neither want to sit on the bench. Soderburg and Alnwick are both great prospects but they both need more game time to gain experience. I Havnt seen much of Elliott but from what ive been told by my Charlton friends he should be nothing more than number 3.

For this reason i think we will see Newcastle in the market for experienced goalkeeping cover/competition for Krul to keep pushing him on.

Start: 2011/12 season:

Start 12/13 season (potentially)

I know which looks stronger….!

• Burni

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Aye sweendog I’m with u there…. Their defence isn’t all that good and ba and Ben arfa could definitely unlock the door if they both play well…. Don’t get me wrong I’d LOVE to be proven wrong but as long as the lads try their best, I couldn’t care what the result is 🙂

• blissna

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Agreed. As long we don’t lie down and apply the lube for them an put a spirited performance in I’ll be delighted.

• Lee Dodd

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Tim Krul is Our Number 1 Now. Steve Harper is Retiring End of this Season so getting Games Is Better for Him For Now. Next Season Forster is Number 2 . The New Fella Rob Elliott is Not to good from what I can See of Him So farr But Will Get Better !!! Maybe Alan Pardew can see him Slotting in as Back up !!!! Reserve Player for Now !!!

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM

So would any 1 use any of our transfer budget in the summer to purchase another keeper, or should we keep our fingers crossed that the young ‘goalkeeping’ guns can flourish again?

• HamarMagpie

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I don’t have a complete insight in Elliot, but he has hardly impressed so far, has he? And his experience isn’t that good. So I’m finding it quite pussling why he was brought in. I rate Harper very highly, and Forster is also a more than good enough to be backup in the Prem… Elliot, though. Not to sure, and I find it strange that our fourth best goalie is the backup. What if Krul gets injured. With Harper we have a proven deputy. We now he is Premier Leauge class, Elliot… well.