Tiote Could Be The Only Change On Saturday

Newcastle played  too deep in that first 45 minutes at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Cabaye challenges French International  team mate Nasri on Saturday

But the lads still managed to hold Manchester City until four minutes before the break, but City then scored two quick goals and Newcastle found themselves 2-0 down at half time.

Newcastle came out and gave it a go in the second half,  and things may have turned out differently if that Ben Arfa shot had gone in, rather than agonizingly rebounding of a post.

Gosling got Newcastle’s late goal on 88 minutes, to make the score a little more respectable at 3-1, and certainly a better reflection of the game.

And Newcastle certainly did a lot better than Man United did against their Manchester neighbors, as they were smashed 6-1 at Old Trafford by City a few weeks ago. Wonder how they will do when the visit the Etihad Stadium?

French International Yohan Cabaye, like other Newcastle players, was disappointed to lose the unbeaten record in the league, but now says Newcastle must simply  press on, and he talked on the Newcastle web-site yesterday:

“We lost the game and our unbeaten record so that is always going to be disappointing,”  “We only scored at the end of the match, but if Demba scores the first chance then maybe it was another game completely.”

“But we can do nothing about that now. City scored two goals just before half-time and that made it difficult for us to come back in to the match.”

“We didn’t want to come away from the match or the stadium with bad thoughts about how we played. We wanted to play much better and much higher up the pitch in the second half.”

“So we tried and unfortunately we scored just too late at the end, but we have to now look forward and keep working hard.”

“We were 11 games unbeaten. The team is a good team, we have good players and a good mentality and we are good on the pitch.”

Newcastle were not at full strength against City, with Cheick Tiote, Leon Best and Gabriel Obertan all out with injury, but all three are expected to be fit for Saturday.

Tiote is almost certain to return to partner Cabaye in the middle of the park, and depending on how well the two top midfielders can get a grip on the game on Saturday, will probably decide just how well Newcastle will do against the Red Devils.

The Man City game was the hardest of the three successive tough games,  and we think the next two games will get progressively easier, and we expect Newcastle to even beat Chelsea at St. James’ Park a week on Saturday.

Obertan could  return to the right wing, although Alan Pardew may give young Sammy Ameobi another start, after he did so well last Saturday, and we think Ben Arfa could well get another start up front, with Leon Best likely to be on the bench on Saturday.

Alan must also decide if  Italian International Davide Santon comes in for Ryan Taylor, but somehow we think Cheick Tiote for Danny Guthrie could be the only change on Saturday.

What do you think?

• G

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM

“and we expect Newcastle to even beat Chelsea at St. James’ Park a week on Saturday.”

I said something similar at work yesterday, and got laughed out of the building as some kind of mentalist.

• GeordieGerman

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM

“to deep”? We hardly got out of our half.

• Dannyo

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

The game wouldnt be much different with obe and best starting, but tiote could’ve been a game changer, as we would prob have been higher up the pitch more often. HBA and Sammy were more than worthy replacements for the other two, as guthrie is too similar to yohan and not a breaker of bones like Tiote.

• danishmag

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I understand your thoughts on that, and i totally agree with you.
    Why on earth should we not beat Chelsea?
    Chelsea at the moment is not what Chelsea was just a year ago!
    Terry, Lampard and Drogba.. Their main stars are over the hill!
    I honestly think that our young gifted players are a better side for now!
    I even think we can win on saturday against Man U. Again.. I think our starting 11 is better than Man U at the moment.

• ilovetoon8788

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM

That’s the difference in this sort of game. We simply didn’t take our chance when it did. Against top side that’s the difference between a defeat and a win.

Demba Ba should have scored. Didn’t and City punished us. Against Manchester United we might have a couple of chance, we have to put it in or its game over again.

• kevymartins

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Any1 know any web-sites were i can download are recent matches?

• ballerfan2

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I believe our midfield is better than Man U and have little fear of their players – apart from Rooney and Nani and Chicharito (Sp?). However I have to say I am terrified of Ferguson and his ability to get results with his team even when under par. This is going to be a very tough game I have no doubt.

• cestriasteve

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Tiote and Ben Arfa must play especially the Chelsea game, Ben Arfa must do the same work that Bellamy did for Liverpool and get at, what is becoming a very slow midfield.

Sorry I dont think we will win at Man U especially not at Old Trafford but I think it will be a very close game.

• KrisGrude

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hi! I’ve been reading this blog for a couple of years and now I feel its time for my first comment! Big respect to ED for writing this blog even when going through a tough time. My thoughts are with you. I’m from Norway and I’ve been a Newcastle fan since I started kicking a ball myself.

I really think we can get something out of the Man united game. Especially with Tiote and Obertan back. I really hope Ben Arfa starts because he can do the unbelievable and he’s just getting better and fitter every game. What a great start of the season it’s been! To see us fight against the billions of man city was just fantastic.

• markmac

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Not been posting on here very long only a month or so but think you could be right ed as AP does like to keep the core of the side the same when possible, and hatem played pretty well at man city, i wonder if he’d keep guthrie in though as hes been playing well, but that leaves a little ‘one sided’ with only jonas on the wing …

• martoon

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Here’s hoping Man U have a tough game tonight and pick up a few injuries! I seen it suggested that we should play Tiote, Guthrie and Cabaye in the middle with Jonas and Ben Arfa as wide men and one up front with Ba and I think that is quite a good shout. Try to stay in the game and bring on Obertan as an impact sub.

• summesam

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I don’t think Newcastle played too deep in the first half. It was perfect 😉

• bardigianni

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Bring in Santon for Raylor,Tiote for Guthrie.
    Obertan and Best on bench.Sammy and Ben Arfa to start