The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Barnsley Could Be Last Chance For Loan Ranger

9:57 am, Thursday, November 24th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Nile Ranger hopes he still has a future at Newcastle United.

Nile Ranger - on loan at Barnsley for two months

Ranger joined Championship  club Barnsley a couple of days ago on a  two month loan spell, and we have to hope that Nile gets some games for the Tykes in that time, and scores some goals too.

The Barnsley manager Keith Hill, seems very willing to take the 20 year-old England U19 striker to Oakwell, and Nile is in the squad for the weekend game at  Leeds United.

The 42 year-old former Blackburn, Plymouth and Rochdale center-back, who joined Barnsley as manager from Rochdale only last May, had this to say about Ranger:

“Everybody deserves a second, third or fourth opportunity,”   “As long as they’re willing to accept the wrongs that they’ve done, as long as they’re trying to right those wrongs, then I’ll work with anyone.”

“I think it’s an encouraging signing and it’s one I’m sure will work for us.”

“It’s my job to educate these players to make them better adults, better people and obviously better football players.”

Nile Ranger still has two court cases related to drink to face in Newcastle, but it does seem that Alan Pardew wants to give Nile another opportunity to straighten himself out, and of course we hope the 20 year-old can do just that.

But there are not too many chances left for Nile at St. James’ Park,  and he needs to start by grasping this Barnsley lifeline he has been given,  with both hands, or should that be with both feet?

The news from Barnsley is that Nile Ranger is taking extra training sessions in a bid to get fit and start playing for the Oakwell club, and he could make hid debut at Leeds,  depending on how he looks in training.

Nile cannot talk too much about the pending court cases, but he had this to say yesterday:

“My main focus now is to go to Barnsley, score goals, play first team football and repay the faith manager) Keith Hill has shown in me.”

“I needed to play again and maybe a spell away from Newcastle and the North East was the best for everyone.”

“However, I definitely have not given up on Newcastle United – I have a five-year contract and I hope I still have a future there.”

“It has been frustrating not being involved in the first team but Newcastle have been doing well so I could not argue with that.”

“Hopefully, more first- team football will help me to improve and keep on learning about the game – now I have to earn my chance at Barnsley.

“I know things have not always been straightforward for me at Newcastle, but I am still learning and I know there are things I can improve on”

“Hopefully this move is one which will give me the chance to do that.”

It’s also been frustrating for Newcastle fans to see the club being put in bad light in the press, because of Nile’s off the field antics, but we really do hope that Nile can take this chance.

There will not be too many more chances for Nile at Newcastle, that’s for sure.

Tags: Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Nile Ranger

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 PHOENIXNIGHTS // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

The man is an arrogant tool, he was kicked out of Southampton for his attitude and the same is going to happen here. The lad will end up in jail, a shame really as he is a good footballer.

• 2 niffnoff // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:12 AM

The amount of chances this kid gets is silly. I hope he comes good. I like the looks of how he played last season, he may not of scored but the work rate was good and he got better each time

• 3 Rotonda heights // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Bit off topic but have you seen how the reserves have crashed since beardo got promoted. I think beardo is very under rated.

• 4 Rotonda heights // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM

again a bit off topic, but I am worried teams will start to target raylor as a weak point. SWP and Defoe have already embarrassed him and we all know what happened at city.

Raylor was only ever meant to be a stand – in and pardew is paid the big bucks to be proactive, not just reactive. Move him to right midfiled or as an impact sub off the bench but playing him against the likes of Nani seems to be inviting trouble.

• 5 geoff777 // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

@Rotondo

I guess Santon isn’t up to 100% yet in training.

Raylor has Colo, Tiote and Jonas around him.

At some point we all expect Santon to be first choice.
    The longer Pardew waits the more training Santon has …

• 6 Rotonda heights // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

yes geoff,

but it’s limiting Guti getting forward as he always has to cover

• 7 geoff777 // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Let’s hope Nile scores a few goals for Barnsley and can make our first team over the next year or two.

Good luck to him.

HWTL

• 8 Thump // Nov 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Not getting pissed in town, knocking people out and then going on a joyride would be a start.

@Rotanda: Wingers should always look to help out their fullbacks – always. Attack as a team, defend as a team.

• 9 geoff777 // Nov 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

@Rotondo

Pardew has the luxury of watching Santon & Raylor training day after day.

Raylor has done really well.
    He’s made a lot fewer errors than Tiote, Cabaye and HBA but our defenders have to be perfect and never make mistakes.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Nov 24, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Yes thump, obviously, but he’s hardly getting over half way now as he’s so pre-occupied in defence !

• 11 Thump // Nov 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

If you’re using the Man City game as an example, you thank thank Mancini’s tactics for that. If it wasn’t for Arfa running into space to receive the ball from him, he would have been dispossessed. Two or three world class players running a tight marking system? Jonas isn’t that good.

Anything before that, I’m not sure we’ve been watching the same games mate.

• 12 Rotonda heights // Nov 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Not surprisingly as you seem to have a gift for it, you’re missing the point.

• 13 Phatoon // Nov 24, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I think Ryan and Jonas are getting a bit of a hard time from some people. Of course they are going to struggle against the really big clubs, that’s why they’re really big clubs!

As for them not getting over the halfway line. Ryan has 2 goals, 1 assist and 23 shots from 12 prem games this season. Jonas has 1 goal, 1 assist and 22 shots from 12 games.

To compare:

Patrice Evra: 0 goals, 1 assist and 6 shots from 11 games.
    Ryan Giggs: 0 goals, 3 assists and 3 shots from 7 games,
    Ashley Young: 2 goals, 5 assists and 20 shots from 8 games
    Nani: 3 goals, 3 assists and 29 shots from 12 games

Gael Clichy: 0 goals, 0 assists and 4 shots from 8 games
    Aleks Kolarov: 1 goal, 1 assist and 8 shots from 5 games
    David Silva: 4 goals, 6 assists and 33 shots from 12 games.
    Samir Nasri: 1 goal, 6 assists and 12 shots, from 9 games
    James Milner: 2 goals, 5 assists and 11 shots from 9 games

Considering the spend on players by the Manchester clubs I would say our guys are doing alright….

• 14 seantoon // Nov 24, 2011 at 12:21 PM

At least it sounds as though he does want to play for Newcastle. Not just sit in the reserves and still rake in the money. But yes he is a tool abit like ballotelli.

previous post: All Three Points Is The Goal For Saturday At Old Trafford