The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ferguson Impressed With Alan Pardew And His Newcastle Side

12:20 pm, Thursday, November 24th, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Alex Ferguson has always been an admirer of Alan Pardew as a manager,  for a long time.

A smiling Alan Pardew last Saturday

We knew that when Alan Pardew was surprisingly signed as Newcastle manager last December, but that didn’t stop us at the time from thinking it was a poor appointment by the Newcastle Board, in fact a disastrous appointment.

But Pardew has done little less than  magnificent in many different ways, since he took over the reigns at St. James’ Parka short eleven months ago, and he has the lads up to 4th place in the Premier League – just completely amazing.

That’s the highest we’ve been since the incomparable  Bobby Robson was Newcastle manager, and indeed we were up to 3rd place before the loss at the Etihad Stadium in the last game.

And our very first league defeat came only last Saturday against that other Manchester side – moneybags City – literally the best side money can buy.

It only cost £850M to assemble the current City squad, with the likelihood they will spend another £30M in January to get Uruguayan striker Edinson Cavani from Naples.

So much for the new Financial Fair Play Rules, and this is after after City lost £197M through the financial year that ended on June 30th.

Sir Alex has said today that Alan Pardew has instilled a fighting spirit into the Newcastle players,  and that they are a side who will give the Red Devils a tough game on Saturday.

It seems that Alex is not surprised one little bit that Newcastle are so high up in the league:

“I’ve always respected Alan Pardew, I’ve always rated him,” “Alan’s done a great job at Newcastle.”  “He’s galvanised them and got them fighting for each other.”

“I watched their recent 2-2 draw at home to Tottenham and it was a great game, end to end, with both teams trying to win.”

“There was a really good attitude among both sets of players. They were fighting for every ball.”

“When you’ve got a Newcastle team doing that, with their great support behind them, you know you’re going to get a difficult game.”

Alan Pardew managed Newcastle to an excellent 0-0 draw against United at St. James’ Park last April, when the lads played extremely well to get the unexpected point.

This will be the first time Pardew’s  taken a team to Old Trafford since  February of 2007, when he took Charlton Athletic to Old Trafford but they lost 2-0 in the Premier League.

Charlton finished second bottom that season, and were relegated with Watford and Sheffield United.

With Manchester United not at their best at the moment, Newcastle could cause a big shock on Saturday afternoon, at a ground where we  haven’t won since 1972.

They could come away with that win, but we know it will be very difficult.

However, that’s just exactly what we are hoping for, and you never know with this Newcastle side, as Alex Ferguson says, they fight for each other and for every ball.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome.

Tags: Newcastle News

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Azrail Malaysia // Nov 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I’ll be happy if we can get a point!! Of course over the moon & Jupiter if we can get 3 points… hehehehe

• 2 Azrail Malaysia // Nov 24, 2011 at 12:44 PM

& I’m first.. Really hope to shutting up all the Devils fans here in M’sia.. Too cocky & bragged a lot… 1 of top 3 hated fans ever!!!

• 3 kevymartins // Nov 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Liverpool have the most hated fans…like a liverpool fan would turn round to an arsenal fan and say champions league 5 times even tho arsenal have done the unbeat’n season and everyting

• 4 boater // Nov 24, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I don’t have a problem with Liverpool fans. Always been a decent rapport between the two sets of supporters- they rise above any toon bashing, unlike arsenal and man u. ‘supporters’. Doesn’t mean I don’t hope they loose each week of course.

• 5 Brutooon // Nov 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I used to hate Man Utd fans but now i hate LiverFOOL fans more…maybe after the capture of carroll and enrique.

• 6 thebionicMAG // Nov 24, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I dislike Liverpool fans…too cocky for past honours if you ask me. However Chelsea fans pip them. I’ve stopped going to the Bridge because its just too aggressive. Their fans are racist and trouble makers. I’ve seen it first hand and on one occasion had to save a 16 year old Toon fan from getting a kicking off a mob that surrounded him, and I almost got into ruck with a big cockney skin head myself when he unleashed some disgusting verbal against me. Not trying to play the raee card but I’m black and lets just say I didn’t appreciate what he said to me so I called him on it….

• 7 theleckworthbird // Nov 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I must admit I have been a Liverpool hater for some time. Their arrogance is beyond their performance. They have poached really good players from us over the years as though they wanted to do the dirty on us.
    For me, forget Sunderland, my biggest ambition this season is to finish above Liverpool.
    On a similar subject, does anyone remember the useless G Souness touching the Annfield sign on his way out of the tunnel when he was managing us

• 8 shearer4pm // Nov 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM

@thebionicmag
    i suppose its a case of like captain like fans

• 9 thebionicMAG // Nov 24, 2011 at 2:27 PM

@Shearer4pm

It would seem so…

I know we are off topic here but the majority of ALL fans are not like that so what staggers me is how the small minority have the confidence to be racist amongst everyone else…

• 10 Munster Mag // Nov 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Gotta say, I hate Liverpool too, for the reasons above, and more ….

• 11 lesh // Nov 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Gawd, with all the anti Liverpool feelings being aired…… better cool it down otherwise they’ll start feeling victimised and sorry for themselves……. It doesn’t take much you know!

• 12 mkhalaf // Nov 24, 2011 at 7:57 PM

who do you think would win a fight between all the clubs fans?? who has the toughest fans, most feared??

• 13 ontariomag // Nov 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM

spent most of my years on the west coast so really hate man utd worse than sunderland, my best day as a toon fan was after the 5-0 thrashing. I had taken so much s++t after the 4-0 charity shield drubbing that i had been down to in the summer that revenge was so sweet

• 14 lordjoesnow // Nov 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM

i was born in the liverpool area and got to agree with you all. they are horrible the fans. But i hate the club more. They brought El Hadj Diouf to the premier league!

previous post: Barnsley Could Be Last Chance For Loan Ranger