Obertan Likely To Get The Start At Old Trafford

Gabriel Obertan is back in the Newcastle squad for their tough game against Manchester United this afternoon.

Gabriel Obertan – could start this afternoon

Last Saturday at the Etihad Stadium Sammy Ameobi came in and had a good game on the right wing, and Sammy could keep his place for this afternoon’s game.

But last night Gabriel was talking as if he was going to start the game, and  this is what he said:

“You always want to go back to your old club and prove to the gaffer  that you are a better player,”  “I feel like I’ve improved since arriving here, and I hope the manager is quite pleased with what I’ve done so far.”

“I will try to play my best game, but the most important thing is the points, obviously, and what the team does.”  “We are just trying to focus on this one and we know it is going to be a tough one.”

“I’ve still got some really good friends there – I call Patrice Evra regularly – so I think it is going to be great to go back there, feel the atmosphere and play against him too.”  “I’ve already told him that it’s going to be hard against me – he is in for a difficult game!”

“We have played some good football this season, have got some results and nobody expected it. It’s been great. Yes, we lost last week against Manchester City, but we are going to bounce back this weekend and get a point against United, or even all three.”

Obertan was expected to be able to play last weekend at Manchester City, but he had a try out on the Thursday afternoon before the game, and that infected toe of his just wasn’t up to it.

But he seems to be fully fit now, and just raring to go, as he continued:

“It’s much better, I’m back in training and there’s no pain so I will be fit for this weekend,”    “I got stamped on about five or six weeks ago and kept playing on it.”

“I put some cream on it to try and numb the pain and that may be the way it got infected.”  “But I said to the physios that even if I had pain I wouldn’t tell them this week because I really want to play in this game.”

“I can’t wait to play and am really looking forward to it.”

Gabriel hardly played at all at the Red Devils, whom he joined in the summer of 2009 from Bordeaux for around £3M, and in that time played only 28 times with a single goal.

But since being at Newcastle,  Alan Pardew has used him regularly on the right wing, and he has appeared 12 times for the Magpies since singing for £3M in the summer.

And as his confidence has increased so has his form, and he’s often looked a threatening player down the right wing, with his direct runs at the defense.

If we had to hazard a guess we’d say he’s just get the nod from the Newcastle manager to start in front of 19 year-old Sammy Ameobi.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

• Graeme

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:16 AM

Agreed ED, I would play Obertan ahead of Sammi for this game, we need all the best players on the pitch. Losing Collo is a blow, but it needn’t be terminal!!

• seantoon

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Krul
    Simmo Taylor perch
    Santon Guti
    Cabaye
    Obertan. Ben arfa Sami
    Ba

• toonbrother

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I dont think losing Colocinni is such a big deal. But losing Tiote could be fatal. If i were Pardew I would reinstate Best and Obertan. The team needs familiar players playing in order to recapture its previously-successful playing style. Integration of Ben Arfa and Sammy’s into the first team has to be put on pause for now but can continue after the Chelsea game

• seantoon

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Santon and guti wing backs

• toonbrother

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Simmo Taylor Perch Raylor
    Gabby Guthrie Cabaye Jonas
    Best Ba

• seantoon

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I think guthrie was doubtful last I heard

• toonbrother

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Oh, Well, if Guthrie is out we are F*

• eaststandgeordie1982

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:21 AM

HBA must play today we need someone who will threaten these with the ball at his feet and HBA is the man for the job if he can improve on last week he will be class today

• geoff777

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Simmo Taylor Colo Raylor
    Sammi Guthrie Cabaye Jonas
    HBA Ba

I’d start with Sammi and bring Obertan on – he hasn’t played for 4 weeks.

Guthrie might start but be an early sub. (Gosling)

Fingers crossed on Colo, a massage might do it.
    If not I’d start with Kadar.

HBA to start again. Why not he’s getting better & better.

Hope it’s all mind games and they are all 100% fit .. lol

HWTL

• Toonboy_84

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Not confident at all about today. Have been all week but if we can’t play our strongest team then I feel we have no chance. 🙁

• mattnufc

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Wish Collo and Tiote were fit, would’ve been a great game.

• rahul_magpie

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM

hey indian magpie where do u stay in delhi?

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Colo will play dont worry about that =] we’l play the same team that played last week only Obertan will start ahead of Sammy

• mattnufc

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:04 AM

^Hope so. Vidic, Rooney and Young back for them today, Scumberland got off light last week!

• magpiebop

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM

4-4-1-1 vs ManUre
    Krul.
    Simpson,STaylor(c),Santon,RTaylor.
    SAMeobi,Gosling,Cabaye,Guttierez.
    Ben Arfa.
    Ameobi.

Subs- Elliot, Kadar, Obertan, Ferguson, Vuckic, Ba, Best.

ALAN PARDEWS
    BLACK AND WHITE ARMY

HAWAY THE LADS

• mattnufc

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM

^Ameboi before Ba, what is wrong with you?

• Marty-Toon

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Hope Colo can play as startin against Rooney or Chico would be tough for TK or any other new starters.
    Obertan can either play great against his old team or it can go the other way and just try to impress too much and make a balls of it

• Marty-Toon

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Magpiebop is off his heed!
    Better to have Smith up front than Shola 😉
    BA has got to start

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Magpiebop – Although your opinions are appreciated you are one loopy human being
    1 – Why would Santon play CB when he’s a full back/winger
    2 – Gosling instead of Guthrie who pards said is fit enough to start
    3 – Ameobi instead of Ba or Best?
    4 – Sameobi instead of Obertan who has a massive point to prove?

• toonbrother

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Raylor played the defensive midfield role alongside Barton against Chelsea last season and did very well. If Guthrie doesnt make it, I hope Pardew considers playing him there and bringing Santon in at Left Back

• toonbrother

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Guys I promise you Gosling Cabaye would be a disastrous midfield partnership. We need to avoid at all costs

• roshan MAGPIE

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM

toonbrother
    Why exactly?

• WWJBD

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:43 AM

magpiebop
    I understand the Shola leading the line opinion but surely Best is better option and Shola coming on late on as a impact

I dont think Ba ‘has to start’ as he isnt great at leading the line

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM

how would it be disastrous? Gosling is good defensivly so is Cabaye and ther also both good at going forward plus ther both strong.. a think it could be a good partnership if Guthrie didnt make it for whatever reason

• TOON4LIFE_1

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM

krul
    simmo saylor raylor/colo santon

gosling/guthrie

ben arfa cabaye Gutierrez

Ba Best

Get cabaye and ben arfa to take lots of shots from outside the box, to unnerve de gea.

• WWJBD

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

GT89
    I would tend to agree Cabaye will make anyone look solid beside him imo and he will be the primary CDM of the pair and Gosling looked very tastey getting forward during preseason…I dont see how they would be a bad partnership

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Kadar will 100% not start ahead of Perch is Colo is actually injured, Pardew has already said Perch is the CB cover so why would he play someone from the reserves ahead of our cover? Kadar has massive potential but will only be on the bench, a do hope if wer okay in defence in jan we send him on loan and give him maybe a 2 year deal to prove himself then if he does well offer him a long term deal.. 2 year deal will just keep him tied so he cant leave for free because he really is a cracking young player

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:48 AM

WWJBD – agreed mate a think they could be a good partnership good thing is ther both battlers aswel.. Guthrie isnt really a battler but hes a great ball player but sometimes you need that bit of grit in the CM in order to hold the game and give other players like the wingers a chance to get forward and wide to cause problems

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Royston Drenthe is available on a free at the end of the season.. what do you lads think? personally a think he would be a great shout, hes class at LB and also class at LW

• toonLYF

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I’m sick of bloody injuries at this god damn club, it’s ridiculous, I dunno how anyone has the nerve to call us lucky, gutted about colo, of course he’s a big f-ing deal!!!!! Hope to he’ll he starts

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Pepe Reina says Andy Carroll is the worst trainer at the club hahahahah

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:53 AM

toonLYF – Im sure Colo will be fine mate

• WWJBD

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Agreed mate, Gosling was my one to watch at the start of the season would like to see him get a fair crack of the whip

Drenthe, good player but dives all the time and seems to have a right attitude on him. Didnt realise he was on a free soon though….Id rather have Holliett tbh

I really think Carroll just doesn’t have the same passion he had with us

• TOONCHRIS

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I seriously think half the people on here havnt got a scooby do what they are on about

• toonLYF

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Geordietoon good shout, Drenthe caused us all sorts of problems a few weeks back, class player, imagine him and tiote on the same team…..BEAST

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM

WWJBD – Me to mate a love Hoillet but Big Arry has just came out and says he like him and a fancie Spuds for the top 4 this season so a think he’d go ther for Champ League.. a really like the look of Scott Sinclair for the LW role aswel but obv needs to be something special for Jonas to be dropped as he’s probz our most consistant performer

• GeordieToon89

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Drenthe does go down abit easy and maybe is abit of a tw*t but a think that all comes with experience in the prem, Look at Balotelli he’s really improved his attitude this season bar the incident last week