Composite Of Newcastle Related Tributes To Gary Speed – Given In Tears

We are all shocked at the sudden death of Gary Speed.

Gary Speed while at Newcastle United

As a sign of respect to the former great Newcastle United midfielder, here are some of the tributes that have come in for gary that are Newcastle related.

Alan Shearer was a  former Newcastle team-mate and a best friend:

“Gary was a magnificent person, bright, fun and a wonderful family man – he lit up every room he walked into.

“I am proud to have been his friend and will miss him dreadfully.” –

Kenny Dalglish signed Speed for Newcastle in the summer of 1998:

“He was a smashing lad and was really well respected. We don’t know the circumstances obviously, and there’ll be a lot of people who are saddened at what’s happened.”

“But I think the most important people at this particular moment in time is his wife and kids – they must be absolutely devastated.”

“It’s a times like this that the football becomes a wee bit irrelevant. He was a very respected man in and around football, not only for his ability but for the guy as a person.”

“I signed Gary for £5M from Everton and he did a fantastic job for us at Newcastle, during the time I was there and after I’d left as well.”

Steven Taylor was a  team mate at Newcastle:

“It is a sad, sad day. I played with him when I came through the ranks. He helped me through, he was an absolute machine – the best professional in football.”

“He had that aura about him. He always had time for the young lads and helped them feel good about themselves.”

Shola Ameobi was a team mate at Newcastle:

“Gary was a really great guy who joined the club the year before I made my debut,” he said.

“I looked up to likes of Gary and Alan Shearer, and he was always there for me and the rest of the young lads, taking time to talk to us at training and pass on little tips that helped you improve as a player.”

“Not everyone would do that so it just goes to show what a class act he was.” “He taught me so much, not just on the field, but how to handle yourself off the pitch too. I wish his family all the very best at this terribly sad time.”

Former team mate Warren Barton, now the chief Fox Soccer Channel analyst in the US, spoke fondly of Gary on the “Goals on Sunday” show in the US:

Gary was a true gentleman, a good family man and the best professional I have ever worked with. I’ve played with a lot of great players, and he was better than any of them: genuinely top class in the way he handled himself on and off the pitch.”

“He was the kind of man you wanted to be around, honestly. He was a guy that you could go out with after a match to the pub for a few drinks, and a guy who you’d have over with the wives and kids for dinner. He had the worst laugh I’ve ever heard, but that was part of his persona.”

“He was just good fun to be around. We talk about “good guys,” and “legends” too much, but Gary was truly that. He had so much going for him and was so genuinely loved by everyone in football.”

His wife, Louise, is good friends with my wife, and his two boys are the same ages as mine. I cannot imagine what they are going through right now. I talked to him on Tuesday, and I cannot help but think that, whatever he was going through, if he only knew that there were hundreds if not thousands of people who were there for him, maybe this would not have happened. “

“He was genuinely loved by all of us, and this is a tragedy.”  It’s hard to talk about sport on a day like this, but Gary would have wanted us to. He liked to say “we have to just get on with it,”

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew:

“This is one of the saddest days in football, when we hear a colleague as respected as Gary is tragically no longer with us,”

“A top class international player whose seamless move into national team management tells us everything you need to know about him. He had great class on and off the pitch, he was a man of true character that so many people looked up to.”

“It is so sad and tonight my thoughts are of course with his family.”

Michaal Owen was a team mate at Newcastle:

“Just cannot believe the news regarding Gary Speed. We waved at each other a couple of days ago dropping our kids off at school. I’m numb.”

John Carver worked with Gary at Newcastle when he was Assistant manager to Bobby Robson and was the Welshman’s Assistant manager at Sheffield United:

“Gary was a very close friend and colleague of mine and I am absolutely shattered by the news, it is totally devastating,”

“When I was coaching at Newcastle with Sir Bobby, Gary was as perfect a professional as you could ever wish to work with – 100 per cent committed, dedicated to his profession and, above all, a wonderful colleague and friend.”

“I worked with him at Sheffield United too and of course was delighted to see the fantastic job he was doing with Wales. I am devastated by the news and I can only offer his family the most sincere of condolences at this tragic time.”

“Gary was an exceptional person and a very dear friend. Football has lost a truly great man.”

Steve Harper was a team mate at Newcastle:

“I am shocked and devastated at the news.”  “Gary was a great friend, the ultimate professional and will be sorely missed by everyone. Our thoughts are with his family.”

And finally the statement issued by Newcastle United Football Club:

The board, manager, staff and players of Newcastle United FC are today deeply saddened to learn of the tragic death of Gary Speed.

Gary was an inspirational and much-loved player at Newcastle United during his time with the club from 1998 to 2004, making 285 appearances and scoring 40 goals.”

“He was an excellent servant to the club, the ultimate professional, and an exceptional role-model for younger players.”

Gary will be deeply missed by everyone at Newcastle United. Our condolences go out to his family at this very sad time.”

Gary with wife Louise pictured recently at Shay Given’s Fashion Kicks event held at the Lancashire County Cricket Club in Manchester

Shay Given in tears before the game at Swansea today

Maybe we can use Gary’s death to treat people with just a little bit more respect than we did before.

Newcastle should also dedicate the game against Chelsea on Saturday at St. James’ Park to Gary, and I don’t care if we win, lose or draw,  but the game should in memory of the former Wales National Football Manager and Newcastle United midfielder.

We offer our sincere condolences to his wife Louise and two sons, and to the rest of his family.

Rest in peace Gary Speed.

• Graeme

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:42 PM

He was a top, top footballer and a true top man. I’m sure he will be fondly remembered as such by most fans on this blog.

May he rest in peace, with deepest sympathy to his wif and family and all who knew him.

The game has lost a truly genuine man

• t00ntime

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I only wonder why he died :S there was rumours about suicide but he has lots of friends a good looking wife and healthy kids :S

I hope weather it was suicide or natural causes it was as peaceful and non painful as possible because je was a great man and footballer. Like SBR may they for ever RIP

• davybtoon

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM

telegraph said he was found hanged its so sad ive jus watched football focus n he looked fine to me but i suppose you never kno what someone is going through on the inside, my thoughts are with his wife n kids cant imaging how there feeling

• davybtoon

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:03 AM

ppl leaving things at the billy bremner statue at elland road

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Shocked at the news of the loss of one of football’s gentlemen. Not only one of my favourite Newcastle players, but one of my favourite players of all time. Liked seeing him do well at Bolton and Sheffield United too and was so happy to see him getting Wales into shape. Always listened to what he had to say when he was on telly and saw him yesterday morning as many people did on football focus. It is right that when things like this happen we regain perspective, this weekend there are no winners in football for we all have lost a true legend.

R.I.P Gary Speed, you will be sorely missed.

• LewSpi

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:30 AM

It’s been such an upsetting day. I can’t stop thinking about how his family must feel right now. All I know is how I feel, and it’s as if I’ve lost a friend, and I’ve never met him, so I can’t comprehend how those who surround him feel.

A couple of people have been saying he looked fine on football focus, although I don’t think he did. When you look at some of his other appearances on tv, whatever he says he says with confidence, but looking back at yesterday, he was agitated, he couldn’t rest, his eyes were everywhere and as AP’s Black and White Army said on the last thread, I think he already knows what’s going to happen before this interview. It’s such a shame that no one else did, because there are literally thousands of people who would have given him their time.

• Spike

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Terribly sad news. I saw him on Football Focus on Saturday.

I shed a little tear for him when I saw the silence that tuned into a tribute at Swansea. I don’t think Shay should have played in his grief. At least they should have had five minutes before they kicked off for him to gather his thoughts, but it shows what people thought of Gary Speed.

RIP Gary.

• JP...from The Rock

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I am really shocked by this devastating news. Gary Speed was such a class act totally cool and calm as a cucumber in everything he did. A top bloke that I had respect for and always popped up in the right place at the right time to score that odd goal. Also the shocking manner of his death just makes this harder to take especially as Gary was such a humble and honest professional. He was a machine I can remember thinking to myself how extremely fit he was always even though his best years were behind him.

He had the makings of a top class manager I always thought and he was proved that instantly in his brief but successful career. This is a terribly sad day in football and for everyone that was fortunate to know him personally.

My full condoloneces to his family.

Rest in Peace Gary Speed
    gone but never forgotten.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Can’t stop crying now, it gets more upsetting the more you think about it.

• CaptainGeordie

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM

. . . (,)
    . . ._.-?-._
    . . |. . . . |
    . . |. . . . |..Lighting a candle in memory of Gary Speed…..
    . . |. . . . |
    . . [????]..

• colwell

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:31 AM

After seeing Savage on BBC news and Given both extremely upset and with Bellamy being withdrawn from the team today it just shows how much this guy was loved. I’ll even admit to getting a lump in my throat after watching this all unfold an incredibly sad day for football.

A thousand prayers sent to Gary his wife and 2 sons!

R.I.P Gary.

• geordiegav1987

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:37 AM

R.I.P garry speed. what a huge loss to the world of football, a true legend.
    there’s not many players I remember from the days of newcastles shearer era, but garry is one of them. I remember him being a complete professional, allways giveing 100% and allways haveing a huge smile on his face.
    I truely believe that he had a great chance of getting wales to the next world cup, and even though I’m english I would have loved to see him achieve that goal.
    I still can’t believe this has happend. when my Dad told me this morning I didn’t want to believe him,its such a sad incident. I can’t even begin to imagine the grief that his family is going through.

• davis_toons

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM

“We can’t replace Gary Speed. Where do you get an experienced player like him with a left foot and a head?”

The toughest midfielder for the toons.
    Thank You for giving your best for us.
    It must have been tough.
    Rest in Peace.

• ToonDownSouth

Nov 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Going to pick up a new shirt with Speed on it. Important that the guy doesn’t leave our memories for a long long time.

I really don’t think it can be overstated, just how big an effect he had on the whole city of Newcastle.

I’m sure the same applies to Leeds, Bolton, Everton, Sheffield, & Wales. Can’t imagine it being any other way!

• Sav

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Like everyone, I’m shocked and saddened to learn of the death of Gary Speed today. Unlike some toon legends, Gary had to win over the fans after a slightly difficult period when he first arrived from Everton under Kenny Dalgliesh. But he did that when many would buckle and went on to establish himself as a Gallowgate favourite. Great guy.

• Brutooon

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Gary Speed is one good footballer and a good person – he should be an example to those young footballers.

I was sad when we sold him and replace him with Nicky Butt. We miss this kind of player in our team….RIP Gary Speed

• tinytoon

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:02 AM

Thoughts go out to his family and friends. RIP

Thanks for the great memories, Gary.

• Expat MAG

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:21 AM

Our thoughts go out to Mrs. Speed, his two sons and rest of the Speed family.

This guy gave everything for Newcastle United during his tenure on Tyneside and will be sadly missed by all of us. Let’s give this adopted Geordie a terrific send off at St. James Park on Saturday…..

RIP Gary

• toonfan76

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:26 AM

Gary Speed, You are truly a loss to this world, I am at a loss to even begin to understand Why this might have happened but I know you will always be held in the highest regard by us Newcastle fans. My thoughts and prayers go out to your Family and close friends. Loved by more than you could have possibly known. We won’t forget you Speedy.

• magpie6699

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Great professional and great gentleman. It’s so very sad. Makes you wonder when you see some of the tossers who don’t appreciate what it’s like to be a true professional footballer and a role model – the likes of Ranger, Balotelli, Andy Carroll – not fit to lace his boots.
    RIP Gary

• Stuart

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Yesterday was such a horrible day, the news was such a shock, as it would have been to anyone after seeing him on Saturday on Football Focus.

Didnt believe it when my mate rang to tell me, it was only when I turned on the news I started to accept it must be true.

To think of what happened and what must’ve been going through his head is terrible, and I hope this tragic loss will highlight the dangers of depression, as alot of people such as Gary can seem perfectly fine to the outside world but completely falling apart inside.

This has been a terrible loss and I will never forget all he did for Newcastle and football in general.

Great man, forever missed.

RIP Gary Speed.

• gorgonzola

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM

RIP gary…I have gotten that EXACT shirt the other month…. 🙁

• Ian Magpie

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM

A tragic and horrible day! Totally shocked that we have lost a great servant to the club but also one of lifes nice people!

Depression is such an awful thing! For those who have never suffered from it, it is difficult to understand. I have suffered badly with depression and know that know one but Gary himself will know the severity of the pain he was going through! Seeing him on football focus, most would never have known what was going on in his mind. Suicide is devastating and leaves a pain and a scarr on the lives of loved ones left behind. Ive lost 3 friends to suicide all lads in their late 30’s mid 40’s and if anything possitive can be gained from this tragic loss it is that it may shine a light on mental illness and its devastating consequences. Rest in peace Gary Speed and may your family and loved ones be given strength to get through this awful time! God Bless Bonny Lad.

• VanBasten

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Speed is a legend and was also a great ambassodor of football. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. You will never be forgotten! RIP!

• jakesome

Nov 28, 2011 at 5:50 PM

a true stand up guy
    so much potential as a manager, never mind all he did as a player
    the way he had ramsey and bale playing together was just awesome (thats coming from an englishman)
    be in peace now gary

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Boys, I’ve left comments on other Blogs and pages on this site. This has to be the saddest time we have all had. We need to show our feelings on Saturday. I’m going to drive up from my isolation in the south just to be outside our Cathedral on Saturday. RIP on of the finest players and probably the greatest role model to have donned the black and white stripes.