Who Is Newcastle’s Most Improved Player This Season?

Tim Krul was our Man of the Match on Saturday at Old Trafford with 70% of the vote with more than 1090 votes cast so far in our poll.

Danny Simpson cleared off the line in the 87th minute Saturday

Newcastle’s defense has been outstanding this season, and we have seen many players in black and white seem to improve big time this season.

Ryan Taylor seems to have made the left back position his own, Danny Simpson continues to improve as right back and Steven Taylor seems back to his best at center-back alongside Coloccini, who is playing the best football since he arrived form Deportivo in the summer of 2008.

So we thought it would be interesting to have a poll on who you think is the most improved player this season between eight players who were also at the club last season.

Who Is Newcastle's Most Improved Player This Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• AMEOBI

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Steven Taylor, Coloccini, Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor and Jonas

• london_mag

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM

its out of Tiote, Krul or Collocini for me.

Tiote for learning to control himself, not getting cards left right and centre and and not JUST passing back everytime. Hes taken on a real professional attitude that wasnt all there last season.

Krul just for being incredible and has got rid of all those school boy errors. Really stepping up and becoming a world class keeper.

Collicini for showing he was the right man to give the armband to- really controls the back 4 with discipline and style as well as giving everything.

• Expat MAG

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:45 AM

I selected Tim Krull, but there’s a number of players who have excelled this season; Colo, Ryan Taylor, Steve Taylor, Danny Simpson, Danny Guthrie, Tiote, etc….

I really hope we agree new contracts with Colo, Simpson and Guthrie as they deserve improved long term deals.

HWTL

• magpie6699

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:15 AM

For most improved, it has to be Ryan Taylor for me. Still not my favourite player, would never have got near the first team for me and I have to say when Jose Enrique deserted us and we started playing him at LB I thought our defence would be a disaster area But not only has he scored some good goals, he (with Jonas for cover) has put in some good defensive work. Yes he’s had 3 difficult games – QPR, Citeh and this weekend – but he has certainly stepped up to the plate. Still wouldn’t be my first choice for the team if we had better (and I’ve not seen enough of Santon) but for not letting us down, it has to be him as the most improved. Behind him – Steven Taylor, Simmo and Timmy. Colo has always been magnificent for us since relegation so can’t make him most improved.

• magpie6699

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:23 AM

PS – I don’t get the bit about Tiote being most improved – I love the guy and think we miss him badly when he’s out BUT last season he was magnificent and only just behind Colo for me as player of the season. Let’s not forget he had a couple of dodgy moments early this season and there were one or two on here )you know who you are) who were calling for him to be dropped or at least substituted during games – short memories! Then his form picked up and he and Cabaye were our engine room for a few games – but he’s missed the last 4 – so can’t see how he’s anywhere near “most improved” – even though he’s 3rd on my pick list after Colo and Tim when he’s fit.

• ToonJovi

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Most Improved people! No best!

For me it has to be Guthrie! Was shocking last season for me, wasnt worthy of the stripes! But to come in for tiote this term and to get the job done with no complaint has been the standout for me!

Simpson a close second! Really should give the lad an acceptable contact! God knows what shoddy amount he’s been offered!

• DONALDO

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM

When you think he could not get any better, goes and does it

Colo for me all the way, the guys immense

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Danny Simpson for me. He doesnt deserve all the slack he gets really… yes he is prone to the odd error, but he has put in some standout performances so far this season.

Very good instinct to get in the right position and clear the ball off the line.

• RooneyToons

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Hmmm Ryan Taylor or Danny Guthrie for me. Guthrie looks much fitter this year, he looked sluggish last season.
    Just goes to show that the competition for places is whipping some players into shape.

On a different note did anyone notice that the Hernandez goal actually came off his hand? Might of been ball to hand but surely it shouldn’t stand. Would of been the best decision ever if the ref had spotted it

• nden85

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM

steven taylor all the way, he’s turning into a colossus at the back. when carroll broke taylor’s jaw a few year back people backed carroll over taylor because everyone was sick of taylor being shit and being injured. what a different player he is now.

• Sir Alan

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Danny Guthrie.

• LEROI

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Krul is the most improved Player for me in that poll.
    I remember a few Toon fan’s lack of belief & respect in Jonas last season, some of them even slated him for his maisy runs even when they won us free kicks for god sake! Saying ”uuugghh he’s always running into trouble & losing possesion uuhhhgg!” when he was taking pressure of our back line and winning us precious chances at goal!
    So i hope those fan’s realise how good he is now how fricken good he is & in the poll in there blinkered little minds put him at the top of it!

• LEROI

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I started to get the Red mist at summarising point of that last post sorry you’ll have to read the last bit twice then think it through again it’ll make sense eventually ha ha ha! Jesus i’m turning into the positive version of Angry man here heh heh heh!
    Angry come out, come out wherever you are! Narh daynt on second thought’s hee hee! Only kidding mate.

• Ian Magpie

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Was great to see the reaction of the players when Simpson cleared off the line. So good to see our team as one and fighting for each other!!!

• markmac

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM

And what a clearance, i thought it had gone in, it was that close, brilliant work from him !

• NorseMag

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM

For me, lots of players have made steps, the whole back four has been better than before, krul has shown than he was worthy of the No.1 shirt, guthrie is showing signs of beeing quality after all, and tiotes passing has improved.

But for young Sammy to come in from absolutely nowhere, to showing signs of making it with the big boys is just great.