Pardew Wants Win For Gary Speed – Carver Very Very Upset

Alan Pardew has come out with a rallying cry to his troops for the Chelsea game, and he us asking his team to win the game for the memory of the great Gary Speed.

Win this game in honor of Gary Speed

The Newcastle United club have put a fitting tribute in place for one of the real gentlemen of football,  who took his own life over the weekend, after attending the Manchester United game at Old Trafford with his friend Alan Shearer.

This is what Alan Pardew said today:

“Our players will be desperate for us to win to pay a tribute in that way,”  “We can’t guarantee that, of course, but we are going to try.”

“He was a great player here and a captain of this club, and he has been a big loss to us this week.”

“The training ground has been heavy, particularly the first two days, because we had a lot of staff and players who don’t just remember him as a great player, but as a great person, so it has been a difficult week.

“Even today, it was a little bit low, but hopefully by the time the game comes around, we can at least prepare ourselves mentally.”

I’ve been a bit surprised how emotional I’ve been when reading and writing about Gary this week, but he was a big favorite of mine, and I’ve always admired men like Gary, who are gentlemen and an inspiration to others, especially the youngsters.

But give a thought to John Carver, and others,  who knew Gary very well and have been simply devastated by the news of his passing.

Alan Pardew has said today that John Carver is not OK about it,  and is still very very upset at Gary’s passing.

Of course not only did John work with Gary when he was Assistant manager to Bobby Robson from 1999-2004, when Gary was at Newcastle, but he was also Speed’s assistant when the Welshman took his first management job at Sheffieled United.

Then Gary was appointed the new manager of Wales on 14th December 2010.

Alan talked about John Carver:

“He’s going to take part…he’s not okay, he’s very, very upset.”  “He was very close to Gary and he’s going to find it probably more difficult than anyone on Saturday.”

“I will put my arm around him and get him right for the game because he’s very important to us.”

“I don’t think the players will have a problem to respond once the ball is kicked and competitive action starts, but there will certainly be one or two players in that line-up who will be very, very upset, for sure.”

“I will make sure my coaching team will go round and get them right for the game.”

There will not be too many dry eyes during the tribute to Gary Speed on Saturday afternoon,  and all we want to see from our players  is 100% all-out effort, and if they do that then whatever the result, we’ll be happy enough.

And they will have further honored Gary Speed and everything he stood for.

Comments welcome.

• kevymartins

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:57 PM

@EDD that arsenal 4-4 draw link is broken

• Hatem

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:59 PM

lets batter them for him, Georgie at heart, may he rest in peice. On the other hand I feel a little sorry for Villas-Boas, he’s bringing something new to Chelsea and I think he needs a little more time, but thats Abramovic for you.

• carr

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:20 PM

I think chelsea have rather shot themselves in the foot there. they took AVB too early, he wasnt quite the finished article. now if they fire him and he does turn out to be a cracking manager hes probably not going to want to go back to a club that treated him so badly.
    i think for him to work he needs a big clear out and given full reigns on bringing in a young exciting team.
    this weekend though i really hope we’re not attacking a wounded animal as they really are the most dangerous.

• ganiyu

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:32 PM

may God have mercy for gary speeds suicide…R:I:P
    is it snowing there in england???

• Toonboy_84

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Not snowing here mate. Where are you?

• ganiyu

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Nigeria….its harmatttan period here i asked because of the pitch condition and fixtures this month.

• Toonboy_84

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Pitches should be fine. It’s cold here but no rain or snow at the moment. Why do u follow the TOON if your from Nigeria. Not having a pop, just curious.

• Hatem

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Toonboy_84, must know a good team when he sees one

• JP...from The Rock

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM

RIP Gary I hope the boys do you proud and clinch a win. The effort would be great but a win will surely put a smile on Speedo and Bobby’s face up in heaven.

2-1 for the Toon!
    HWTL

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM

total over reaction about tiote being injured lol, hes injured man for god sake stop thinkin hes already gone to some other club if theres one player at the club who has made it clear he dosent want leave its cheick, n if liverpool want him then 35mill will do it bcoz if hernderson 20mill n carroll 35mill then tiote easily 35/40mill

• ganiyu

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM

@ hatem its hard to believe im a toon fan but this is my sixth year with the toon.this is my 5th year on this blog.
    Im not a toon fan just because nufc are doing fine and i was always had a good opinion on mike ashley even when keegan left.

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM

if someone wants our players in jan then there gonna hav to pay stupid money as proven with carroll he was n is only worth about 10mill yet we got 35mill, tiote worth 20mill but i dont think they will sell him for less than 30mill

• Beattie25

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I, like the rest of my fellow geordies I am sure, took the news about Gary Speed very hard.

It came as a shock to us all, especially the circumstances surrounding his passing. I think the tribute this weekend at ‘the artist formerly known as St James Park’ will be emotional and most fitting for the best number 11 in my time and one of our finest of all.

I hope we play well and it would be nice to dedicate a toon victory to Gary on Saturday. But please, please, please AP do not use the passing of Gary as an excuse for a bad performance/result.

From the comments above I understand those that knew Gary well will be suffering but I hope AP doesn’t come out and repeat the comments above afterwards. If the players play bad it would not be a fitting legacy to the memory of Gary Speed to say his sad demise was a reason or that the occasion got to our players.

Haway the lads, lets get beind the boys, chant Garys name and spur our team on to a great victory but more importantly, in the memory of Speedo, a great performance.

• 2 AMEOBI'S

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM

RIP Gary Speed, true professional in every way and a cracking player. He will be missed.

Just checked out one of the chelsea forums to see how they rate thier chances, let me tell you they are bricking it 🙂

I would go with this team:

Krul
    Ben Arfa
    Ba

2-0 Ben Arfa, Ba

• Dannyo

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:10 PM

@davybtoon
    The same rumours were up when Tiote was in Ghana mate, sorting his Visa and all.
    Tiote is a world beater when it comes to playing the DM position.
    And as you and Pardew says, it’s gonna take a HELLUFA lot of money to snatch any players.
    Not just cause of the player himself, but due to how the club is faring currently, the fans oppinion, and the players contribution to the team and team spirit.

• ganiyu

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM

@toon boy84 okay i follow the toon because of some influential players like babayaro (nig) alan shearer, owen and one boy (martins)….
    I was only unfortunate to join as a supporter when they were declining from a top 6 position having hopes that they would get there (UCL)…
    Its not easy here for me since we got relegated and realy got mocked that season.
    I still have beliefs that i would get a uefa logo on my kit next year cos i see this club rising no matter what negatives happen

• boater

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:15 PM

davbtoon – you are constantly going on about how much we’ll fetch for this player and that. What difference does it make to us if 5mil or 50mil is raised for a player like Tiote when it isn’t going back into the paying squad?

• Beattie25

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM

@ Dannyo & davybtoon

I still think the whole ‘visa’ thing was weird.

I know I’m being negative but we don’t know the intricacies of Tiote’s contract.

For all we know the one that was re-negotiated has a clause in it that allows top teams to buy him at 20-30 million.

You’re being posotive and I hope when I see Tiote playing for us in 2 weeks I will be too. I suppose we will have to wait and see and the enitre geordie nation will have to keep our fingers crossed.

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM

boater – i dont want any player sold i want to build a team but if someone wants our players then yes we should take them for every penny we can n make them pay well over the odds, tiote n colo r vital to our team n shud not b sold

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:22 PM

smith n lovenkrands r the only players i would sell

• WWJBD

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM

boater
    You know us mags wouldnt be half as scared of losing player if we thought the money from them would be reinvested but we know that in all likelyhood it wont be

I used to be excited for transfer windows now I dread them. How times have changed

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM

when i say every penny we can i dont mean sell as soon as someone comes looking at our players i mean if someone wants them then they will hav to pay stupid money

• BoomBoom

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:24 PM

RIP Gary!! True legend!!

I do worry about Sammy going off roaming and leaving Raylor. He’s done a class job so far this season and I would never change him for santon, but I think Raylor still needs a bit of help back there.

Seems silly to play a left back at left wing and I right wing at left back though, so now might be the time to see what santons got. And play Raylor infront. Could get some class service into the box and have him cutting in and shooting.

Start with ben arfa and bring Besty on if we need to mix it up a bit.

Plus, please no perch for guthrie this time, goslings a far better player all round!!!

My team:

Guthrie/Lovenkrands
    Shola
    Best
    Gosling

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:26 PM

ithink the transfer window should only b open from the day the seaon finishes to 2 weeks b4 the season starts n then thats your team for the full season no window half way through disrupting everything

• BoomBoom

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Plus santon scoring on his full debut and me getting just the hint of a semi on!!!

• ganiyu

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:28 PM

@ davybtoon you wont get a penny from those players unless we play them regularly.
    Also its would be a good news to get atleast 20m for tiote and see what abied and gosling can do.(just to avoid heart breaks)

• Hatem

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:29 PM

gainyu, sorry that wasnt what I was insinuating, apologies, it sounded a bit hostile.

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:31 PM

tiote cant play if hes not fit, plus i dont want to sell tiote i want to keep him here n everyone saying id take 20mill well i wouldnt take 20mill i think 20mill for tiote is an insult, when u think henderson went for 20mil tiote is twice the player he is

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM

plus another thing were top 4 have been most of the season think players would like to stay n see get european place

• Graeme

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Ganiyu,

Where in Nigeria are you? I’m up in Jos. Its getting cold now!!

• GeordieGerman

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Chelsea fans are worried. Hope it rubs off on to the players.

• Beattie25

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Is Ferguson available? Somebody mentioned his name in an article yesterday as a replacement for Gutti.

I would say that if he is available he is a good shout. Young lad, bags of skill and pace, good at tracking back and would have fire in his belly to appear in this game, and in all honesty, I rate him higher (at this moment in time) than sameobi.

I still would like to go for Santon LM but I doubt Pardew would do this but another viable option may be this line up:

GK
    Krul
    RB Simpson CB Colo CB Saylor LB Raylor
    DM Guthrie DM Cabaye
    CM Gosling
    RW Obertan LW Ben Arfa
    CF Ba

I would play a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Gosling could play an influential role as an attacking midfielder, supporting Ba through the middle with direct runs. I would also give Gosling the task of picking up any slack from Benny defensively so that Raylor has continued support. Ben Arfa’s trickery, creativity and skill on the left could compliment Obertans speed and direct play on the right.

Only God and Alan Pardew knows who he will play but I personally hope he doesn’t go for sameobi. I se him as an impctsub and he needs a few more reserve run outs, and perhaps a loan in Janurary, before he can fully break into the first team squad.

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:59 PM

Looking like oneil scum boss

• GeordieGerman

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM

davybtoon, worried? I’m not. The scum still have the same crap on the pitch.

• carrollsinger

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Gary speed is a legend!!!
    Cabaye reminds me so much of him the way he is on and off the pitch

• Hatem

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Oneil’s a good manager I must say, they still have a w**k team though.

• Dannyo

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:05 PM

@Beattie25

I understand peoples consern during the whole Visa incident, and that speculation always will be up and about with him.
    But i really do not see MA putting a clause in a players contract, saying he can go for so and so, even if it’s ridicoulusly high.
    MA would rather be the sort of person that managed to put a benefitial clause in a players contract, somewhere along the line of:
    “If the player decides to move to another club, he’s forced to pay the club the full length of his contract in addition to the transfer fee recieved from the buying club”.

I’m well aware that this is not the cause, or that it’s probably not legal, i’m just underlining what type of business man MA is.
    MA will always look to maximize profit, i think we can all agree on that.

• davybtoon

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM

GG no not worried at all that’s who I wanted them to get lol, like say there squad is crap gonna take a while to sort them out doubt oneill will like half there squad

• ganiyu

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:27 PM

haha you are joking mate@ graeme you cant be serious…im somewhere in oyo state.
    I witnessed the changes in fixtures last season.