Sammy Ameobi – Just A Humble Walker Lad

Sammy Ameobi will in all likelihood start in place of the suspended Jonas Gutierrez on the left wing against Chelsea this afternoon.

Sammy Ameobi – 6’3″ promising Newcastle winger

It’s obvious from what Sammy says that he’s been brought up in a good family,  and it also seems his older brother Shola has had a massive influence on him.

Sammy was brought up in Walker, which borders on St. Anthony’s s Estate where I was raised in Newcastle, and he has given an interview to the local Newcastle press.

The 19 year-old, who already stands 1″ taller than his brother at 6’3″,  comes over as a humble lad who seems devoted to the Christian faith.

This is what Sammy told to local press:

“I feel privileged to be in this position, and I’m not going to take that for granted,” “I’m going to do it to the best of my ability, it’s my job.”

“It’s not what I expected at all,”  “I thought the process would be a lot slower. It’s been amazing and it’s up to me to make the most of my opportunity, and I aim to do that.”

“People recognize me a lot more, although I’m not one to spend a lot of my spare time in and around town. I’m more of a private person, I like hanging out at home.”

“My faith’s important to me, and I go to church with all my family, it’s good,” “It’s not just Shola that’s been a massive influence on me, so has my family and my religion and that’s helped bring me to where I am today.”

“I still live at home, maybe I’ll branch out on my own in the next few months. I suppose it could have been easy to get carried away, and there have been times when people have done that, but that’s not the way I was raised.”

“I never used to read but my sister gave me a few books when I went to see her and I’ve not been able to put them down since. I spend a lot of spare time reading, and I’ve even brought it to the training ground. “

“I’m reading a series of five books, adventure-based ones.”  “I was in year four when I went to watch Shola’s debut  against Chelsea, in 1999,”  “I remember him squaring up to Dennis Wise.”

“I can’t remember anything else, but that will always be lodged in my memory.” “He’s not afraid to give me a good hiding if I step out of line! He’s not afraid to shout at me if I’m not doing things right, or if he thinks I’m getting complacent or lazy or whatever.”

“He’s always there to give me advice with little things I’m not sure about. I’m happy to ask him because he knows a lot about the game.”   “We’re both in the same squad but he’s got a lot more experience than me and I’ve got a lot to learn to get to the standard he’s at.”

“Shola’s just come back from injury so he wasn’t exactly 100% ” “I’d never dare take the mickey for me being in the team and him not – I know my place in the family! – although I’ve taken that team-sheet and framed it!”

“I’d like to think I’m up there in terms of my work-rate and stamina,” “It’s something I’ve worked very hard on. At this young age, that’s what it’s all about now, keeping fit and working hard.”

“That’s what the management team sees and why they put their trust in you to do the job.” “The defending starts at the front and our defensive record shows how well it’s been going.”

Today is a huge opportunity for the 19 year-old and he can show the local Newcastle fans just what he can do for the side.

From what we’ve seen of Sammy so far, he could well emulate his older brother and have a better career than Shola, and even eventually play for the full England side.

Of course it’s very hard to predict how well some youngsters will turn out, because there are many ways in which they can fall by the wayside.

But certainly Sammy seems to have just an excellent temperament, and he works very hard on the pitch during games and in training, and follows to the letter what the Newcastle coaches tell him to do.

He is already an England U21 International, and we’ll see how well he does today, in place of one of Newcastle’s best and most experienced players – Argentine International Jonas Gutierrez.

If  Sammy does start today, as we full expect him to do, this will be his 11th appearance for the side with one goal, that tremendous individual effort he scored at Scunthorpe United in the Carling Cup to win the game for Newcastle in extra time.

Maybe he can get his  second one for the Magpies this afternoon?

Howay The Lads!!

• hrocks

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM

ameobis always seem to do well againt chelsea. horses for courses and fingers crossed 2-1 win with one of them on the score sheet

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I would start Santon behind him at LB!

• stephen1971

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:55 AM

he,s better than shola

• Brutooon

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Sammy shouldn’t follow his LAZY Brother

• hrocks

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM

sammys a raw talent with bags of potential. back in 1999 we saw the same with shola.lets hope we have the ability to develope him into a great player for us for many years to come. i hope we dont build him up to soon. the lad needs time and love to become the player we all hope he will be

• connor_nufc

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM

f**k off brutoon.

• Brutooon

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:12 AM

connor_nufc : what? i am just saying. Why follow a bad example?

• pardew no 1

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:28 AM

what a nice bloke top guy hope he goes for with Newcastle

• alkinou

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Didn’t realize Abeid was on international duty, I guess he’s coming back now sadly for his national team

• WWJBD

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Love him. Great prospect and a fantastic attitude! If he has the attitude similar to Shola he will go far with us.

• Rowan Milsted

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Great commets from Sammy, he really comes across as a humble, honest and dedicated bloke. Seems like an old fashioned footballer despite his age! I was thinking of playing Raylor o the left wing with Santon behind him, that would probably work but would of course interfere with the chemistry of the team. Pards will probably stick with what’s been working and give Sammy a start today. I’m sure his work rate will be 100%, just hope he gets back to protect Raylor and doesn’t find it too physical. I’m confident of getting a result today and looking forward to watching him play against a top side, he’s such an exciting player to watch. Come on Sammy, come on Newcastle!

• t00ntime

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM

@milsted does that not say sonething 😛 when we hope the winger can get back to protect raylor, when we put him on the right wing nobody worried about getting back for simpson. I dont understand why people think simpson is our weak link. Maybe we shud start thinking about getting santon on the field… He joined us for 1st football and still raylor is ahead of him (after alot of mistakes, only reason people prefer him is he can take free kicks, so can cabaye and ben arfa but he scored against the mackems. If that never happend he wudnt be on the sheat now)

• markmac

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM

seems a real down to earth young lad, living the dream,
    HWTL

CM Guthrie
    AM Ben Arfa
    ST Ba

• catchy in norway

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM

wwjbd,,

i hope he ends up nothing like strola, and from the start he has made he looks like he wont, thank god,

strola is one of our laziest players, always injured, scores the odd important goal, but does your head in most of the time,,

when i used to go to the resevers , he looked good, had a lot more nrg, and when he played for the reserves, chopra was by miles the better player

as for attitude, he gets 50g a week to play at his home town club, and lets face it, most arnt worth wot they get, but he is way overpaid ,

• mattnufc

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM

“Shola’s not afraid to shout at me if I’ getting complacent or lazy or whatever.”
    Haha

• Brutooon

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Shola spend more times slipping down ( and please note that this is without any contacts from any opponents)

• Dannyo

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:38 AM

We all know Sammy is well best Shola in terms of workrate, Shola has a very low workrate.
    Imo, Shola would improve if he lost a bit of weight, aye, he’s big and strong, but too much muscle slows you down.
    Also Sammy is an ace dribbler, something Shola isn’t as good on.
    They’re very different in terms of workrate, mass and technical skills.
    Kind of hard to compare the two don’t u think?

Sammy has work to do in decision making and perhaps his crossing (haven’t seen too many crosses from him), the first comes from experience.
    Something Sammy is likely to get today 😉

• MacToon

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM

“……although I’ve taken that team-sheet and framed it!”

😆

• AP's Black & White Army

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

• Dannyo

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:46 AM

#NUFC team (4-4-1-1): Krul; Simpson, S.Taylor, Coloccini (c), R.Taylor; Obertan, Cabaye, Guthrie, Lovenkrands; Ben Arfa; Ba #newcastle #epl

Lovenkrands on the left….? But whyyyyy…

• AP's Black & White Army

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM

• Dannyo

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM

#NUFC substitutes: Harper, Perch, Santon, Gosling, Sammy Ameobi, Best, Shola Ameobi, #newcastle

• AP's Black & White Army

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Lovenkrands, hmmmm?

• BiffBaffBoff

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Lovenkrands, Mr Anonymous himself :/

• AP's Black & White Army

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Dannyo

Get off of my cloud! 😛

• MacToon

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Pardew’s made his decision, I don’t think it’s right having Loven ahead of some others but hope I’m proved wrong, afterall it’s Pardew who works with these players on a daily basis so he should know better!

• Dannyo

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:49 AM

AP
    Lol, u’re just lucky u were ahead of me 😛

• SwedishMagpie

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:50 AM

lovenkrands ?? -.-

• Dannyo

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM

@Mac
    Was expecting 99,9% that Sammy would start on the left, being a proper left winger, and far better than Lovenkrands.
    Must be wanting the experience there then to help Raylor…
    But if Raylor cannot defend on his own, why is he even starting?!
    Damn that 0,1%!

• MacToon

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I’d have even considered Santoon on the left, Ferguson (if fit) or ofc Sammy but I’m hoping Pardew knows better 😉

• BiffBaffBoff

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Lets start a bet – Who can guess how many touches on the ball Lovenkrands will have today? My guess is 4

• AP's Black & White Army

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Haha Perhaps!

I think AP trusts Loven, to be more responsible and keep the team shape better. He will hustle, work hard and always be on the move, let’s hope he has an effective game. You never know, he could link up great with Ben Arfa, in training.

HTL!

• roshan MAGPIE

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM

can LOVENKRANDS cross the ball or help RAYLOR

• seantoon

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I can see santon getting peed off soon not getting any starts. That’s why he left inter. How can he prove hisself if he doesn’t get a chance

• toonincheek

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:52 PM

I think Sammy will get a good runout as sub.
    Always depending on how the game is going.