Pardew Surprised By Terrific Form Of Newcastle Midfielder

Danny Guthrie has come in for Cheick  Tiote since the Ivorian last played on 22nd October at home to Wigan and done an excellent job for the team.

Danny Guthrie – has a good game against Chelsea

But the bad news yesterday is now Guthrie himself is out with a groin strain, anywhere from four to six weeks, and with Tiote missing tomorrow’s game also, it will be a chance for some other player, maybe San Gosling, to come in and take their chance.

And that’s exactly what Danny has done over the last six weeks,  and he had another good game last Saturday against Cheslea, especially in the second half when he looked a great player for the Magpies.

Before Steven Taylor was injured in the 88th minutes with his Achilles injury, and Chelsea scored two late goals, Newcastle had hit the bar three times with the score at 1-0 to the Pensioners.

Danny’s contract runs out next summer, and there have been rumors that Alex McLeish of Aston Villa is interested in the former Liverpool midfielder, so hopefully Newcastle can offer him a new contract so he stays on Tyneside.

Certainly in his time in the Newcastle first team over the last six weeks or so,  he has impressed manager Alan Pardew,  who had this to say about the 24 year-old:

“Guthrie has not been a surprise to me because I always knew he was a good player, whose contract we need to look at.” “His stats from Saturday suggest it was one of his best games for us.”

“In the first half we were up against it a little bit, but he still had some great moments for us.” “In the second half he really dominated the game. It is a blow to lose him. He has been terrific.”

“He was unlucky to sit behind Cheick Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, who have both had terrific seasons. His chance came and he took it.”

“Unfortunately for him now, he has been taken out because of injury. He will be back and he will be back for a crucial period when Cheick goes to the African Cup of Nations.”

Hopefully Danny will be back by mid-January when Cheick goes on African Cup of Nations duty for the Ivory Coast, along with Demba Ba who will play for Senegal.

But of course Cheick  himself was only supposed to be out a couple of weeks,  when he first picked up the knee injury in late October, but he has now been out over six weeks, and is still not fit.

Danny has proved he can get the job done for Newcastle, and this season has 8 appearances with that one great goal at Blackburn Rovers in the Carling Cup.

Guthrie has so far made 93 total appearances for Newcastle with 8 goals in his three and a half years at the club.

• The Shola Show

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM

2nd!!

• BigKirky

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

He’s played very well since he’s come back into the team. I like how he is pretty comfortable on the ball and likes to move the ball on with some decent passes. He plays some excellent balls at times, but I dont see him as an expert passer as a few folk have suggested. He’s a good squad player to have though for sure, who can step in and do very well and of course he’s got age on his side.

• BarcelonaMag

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM

1st! Good to hear Alan say that Tioté will still be with us in January. I was getting worried.

• BarcelonaMag

Dec 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM

3rd, as it turns out. Damn!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

San Gosling?

• Dannyo

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM

“He’ll be crucial for when Tiote goes to the African Cup of Nations”.
    Hear that conspirasists? ACN, not “when he transfers out of the club”. Thats Pardews view, if he gets sold it’s because of ridicoulus money, not cause his injury was faked, the deal was already done, he was being kept injury free…

• Dannyo

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM

@NUFC_Rich
    Gosling is Japanese, didn’t u know? 😛

• Lynxie

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Danny Guthrie has done a great job and is improving along with a large number of players under Pardew’s man management. However, Guthrie would be a better player if he learned to do the simple thing at times, instead of looking for the hollywood pass. Sometimes the easy option is the killer pass.

• Dannyo

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

@Lynxie
    He does show he has some great vision tho, being able to do the “hollywood pass”. Nice term btw 😉 Deffo should be tied down, but he is worried he’s not the first choice with all fit, and with his playmaker ability, i can understand that.
    But, he is injury prone, so he really should expect to be nr 2 or 3.

• thai-mag

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM

gosling out for the rest of the month, villa sniffing around to buy him, makes you wonder

• Dannyo

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM

@thai
    Guthrie, not Gosling, and for £6 mill supposedly, nice money for a lads contracts who ends in the summer. Expect to cash in on that if he doesnt re-sign.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

There you go Dannyo @ 6. thai-mag just confirmed your fears. Though not about Tiote.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.
    I must refresh more often.

• Ollieh51

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

@ Big Kirky – I think this would suggest otherwise on Guthrie’s range of passing mate.

Yes it was one of his better games but the lad has been capable of this for some time.

I personally struggle to see how you can say that if you’ve seen him play?

We don’t have another player with his passing range and I don’t think many other clubs do either.

• thai-mag

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM

dannyo- you must be right, a mate of mine out here is a villa fan he was telling me last night, he must have got names mixed up

• Indian Magpie

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM

what u think, wages cd b a sticking point

• Ollieh51

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

@ Indian Magpie – He’ll be expensive and if SanToon ain’t getting a game now will he if we ghet him in?

And if so, why did we spend £5m on SanToon?!

Decent player, built for the PL (Quick and strong as an ox) but I can’t see him fancying us long term and that’s an expensive loan.

• BigKirky

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Ollieh51

I’ve had a season ticket for about 18 years and listen, watch or go to away games. I’ve said he can pass the ball well and at times he does some excellent passes, but I’ve also seen some very poor passes at times. He’s a marked improvement on the last time he was in the side, which the current system will be helping with as will playing centrally.

I just don’t see him as the guy who, when trying to play at European level (in Europe or top 6/7) that will be the main man spraying passes about to world class level and I certainly wouldn’t have him in ahead of Yohan or Tiote. Would be nice to see it though. Hence squad player. That’s what I mean as expert level. Don’t get that confused with being a good player playing some good passes. Which he can do and has been doing very well of late. Stats or no stats. That isn’t in dispute.

Also, he shouldn’t be played anywhere but in the centre.

• BigKirky

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Also, my preference would be for him to play with a creative midfield partner, so he is the one who hangs back more. Not as the creative midfielder.

I’d like to see Vuckic in the mix more now his hand has recovered.

• Ollieh51

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM

@ Big Kirk – 100% agree on him positioning wise.

HoughToon probably saw his delivery in training and thought that using him as a wide player would work? He was dynamite in the CCC though…

I think with him, he would have been and maybe still could be that Gerrard-esque player but not with the hard tackling aspect to his game?

Also, it is becoming a bit Danny Glass-thrie at the minute as he can never build a decent run of games to settle in to things but where he has come in this season he has done very well.

He’s a top squad player to have and I think his problem is that he just can’t break into our squad and will only feature in other squads should he stay fit.

He’ll only getting a starting place at a lower team in our league? (Maybe bottom 6/8 clubs)

• Indian Magpie

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM

@ollieh 51

him left santon right

• Ollieh51

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

@ Indian Magpie – Again, he’d be a pretty expensive loan I would rather we had SanToon playing on the left and Simpson right then spending more on a position we have players for already.

Think a more versitile CB/RB or CB/LB player would be best.

We won’t make a purchase or loan like that.

• martoon

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Anybody read this:-

Once again – typical BBC bias – no mention of the Ameobi brothers who, as far as I know, along with the Ferdinands are are the only brothers currently playing in the Premiership.

• shauntoon

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM

listhen we need to give vuckic a shout this weekend hes fit and ready and whata player he can become

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM

martoon, I think you’ve forgotten the da Silva twins. unless you don’t count twins as brothers.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

anyway martoon, that article says notable. As Shola is always getting knocked on here for not being notable you can’t expect the Amobis to be listed.

• JayToon4life

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I hope this lad stays…he is getting better every game….not one to be sold as he is a must to keep up with the homegrown quota in quality….on another note I am disgusted to see sports direct website is now selling scumdwland shirts what the fcuk is goin on that’s jus like a middle finger from cashley and co….and I think disrespectful of the nufc fan culture…and on the Norwich game bout time wanton got a shot and also obertan should be bench for sameobi…

• American Toon 13

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Santon should def play against Norwich, but I would only put him on as a sub at the end of the game. Even though Ryan Taylor was exposed up against Daniel Sturridge last week, Jonas is back and I’ll think he’ll go straight into the side. Even though I would like to see Santon take over for Ryan Taylor eventually (I mean, that’s what we bought him for, right?) Pardew will probably stick with Taylor for good reason. The defense is already going to be pretty patched up, so why take out one of your last remaining regulars in the back line? I wish Santon would get put on as a sub more often so he can really start to learn the game in the PL.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM

JayToon4life, so if someone comes into my studio and asks for a black cat tattoo I should tell him to eff off? I don’t think so. I may set the needle a little deeper but I’d still do it.

• martoon

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

GeordieGerman I said currently playing – I believe one or both of the Da Silvas are injured at the moment (Ok that’s a cr*p get out!) but you make a good point about Notable. Seriously it does irritate me how all the brothers with Man U connections are immediately mentioned without a thought to other clubs – poor journalism.

• JayToon4life

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Geordiegerman if I was asked to do that for the dirt scummy black cat supporter the only tattoo they’d be getting is an nufc badge

• cupiddstunt

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

GG @ # 27

I would hardly call Bradley Wright Philips a notable name in the prem,

So I feel I have to agree with martoons perceived bias from the BBC.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:34 AM

5,9 mIL Paid for Santon: A lot of money to have someone continually sitting on the bench?

Guthrie might of been good but he,s out now too!
    Pardew can be as impressed as he wants with our form.
    Somewhere during the next few games or maybe even at 6pm this evening his bubble will maybe burst!
    The thought of January is starting to totally depress me and i can,t wait for 1 Feb because i fear the worst.
    Is the Heli serviceable and ready to Fly?

As for the story from the BBC about Bolletelli,s brother with Stoke! @24 How is this artikle bias,d ?
    Get your dictionary out and look up the word, if you can read!
    The only way that the Ameobi brothers would be reported on by the BBC is if they went and did something a la Carroll or Joey style in the Bigg market or somewhere else!

Santon in the starting eleven, “Today”!