Newcastle Getting Ready For Lots Of Transfer Activity

There seems to be a lot of activity in the transfer market ahead of the January opening of the next transfer window.

Mobido Maiga – will be first through the door in early January

News yesterday that Mobido Maiga of Sochaux was in London for his medical, and it seems if there are hitches then he will become a Newcastle player in early January.

The Newcastle Board – read Ashley and LLambias – seem to have made a nice recovery from the disaster of August 31st when the deal to bring Maiga to Newcastle fell through at the last moment, and this bodes well for January.

It was good to see that Newcastle have also gone after West Ham’s 22 year-old center-back James Tompkins, and while I was watching the Hammers game at  Reading on Saturday,  I was thinking what a good player he would be at Newcastle.

And looking through our archives there was a report out last February that Pardew could be interested in the 22 year-old England U21 defender, and of course Alan will know a lot about him from his contacts at the London club he used to manage.

Pardew had said he was tipped off about how good Demba Ba was at West Ham earlier this year, although the Senegal striker’s record of 7 goals in 13 games, for a relegation side,  told you that he was a very good striker.

And there’s news that Newcastle have even opened negotiations to bring left-back Taye Taiwo to Newcastle on loan in January, but we don’t know if that bit has been made up.

The story yesterday was that Taiwo is very  unhappy at not getting many games at Milan, whom he joined as a free agent in the summer, and Newcastle were certainly interested in the former Marseilles player, and of course he’s also an excellent left full-back.

And with Danny Simpson not wanting to sign his new improved contract at Newcastle, the emphasis will be on bringing in another full-back in January, and of course we also need a center-back.

If we can do that next month, and also bring in Maiga, that will have been  a decent transfer window for Newcastle,  and then we would look to Newcastle to bring in more good players over the summer, even if they are unknown commodities.

Newcastle  will be able to bring in more players because it seems that a number of  squad players will leave Newcastle this summer.

Those to leave the club will likely include Alan Smith, Peter Lovenkrands, James Perch, Nile Ranger, Danny Simpson, Tamas Kadar and of course Kazenga LuaLua, who will join Brighton on a permanent basis next month, with the terms already agreed.

We could see as many as six players coming in over the summer, in addition to the three we expect to come through the door in January.

We have great faith in Graham Carr and the scouting staff  at Newcastle, and we believe the Magpies will have a much stronger squad come next September – and that has to be very promising for the Newcastle club and for us fans too. 😀

Comments welcome.

• Klatoon

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Heard Arsenal may try to scupper the Taiwo deal with Andre Santos set for a long spell out with his injury.

• jayphoto

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Think you can add some of the players linked in the summer also! Cissokho, Pieters, Clyne…. Wouldn’t be shocked if we were still interested in Erdinc aswell because we will still be short of strikers if ranger and mcloven go! Personally I expect us to spend 20m on 4 players! But I expect us to sell Tiote for 25m!

• cyprus

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Ed,
    In form Sammy? Why that title? It’s not as if he scored or contributed drastically to any game. Ok, he didn’t fall on his face, he can control a ball (frankly, I’d expect that from a pro, I can do that too!), but still we need to see a lot more to justify anything more than ‘squad player’. I’m not saying he won’t be a shining star, just that he hasn’t done it yet. Now, on this post, hope this Maiga guy is a very good footballer and can make a difference, 15 goals as he did last year will do nicely. Shame if Simpson goes, he’s been solid throughout, helped us get promoted, and looked a proper right back following disastrous spells there from the 2 Taylors

• Graeme

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM

To me, the biggest worry in January is not who’s coming in – it more about who they are going to cash in on!!!!

If they do an “Andy Carroll” in the last 10 mins of the window for maybe Tiote, Krull, just how do they expect the team to flourish and get into Europe??

I hope we see a real display of AMBITION from FCB and his merry men with NO first team players leaving but some strength being added to improve what we have.

Roll on January 31st!!!!

• cyprus

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Jay,\
    hope we hold on to Tiote mate. Not easy to find a replacement of that calibre

• jayphoto

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Just a note, following on from a previous poster commenting on Blackburn – Both Junior Hoilett and Christoph Samba’s contracts are up in the summer….heard Pards mention how good samba is a bunch of seperate occasions! Our side would be immense with those 2 and Maiga! Think we’ll sign a right midfielder as Marveaux is left sided anyway and Obertan literally is the only choice out there currently!”

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM

@jay photo

we showed real ambition in the summer by giving waste of time space money SHOLA AMEOBI a new contract in the summer

i know guthrie was not as good then, but he deserved a new contract

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

cyprus – on Sammi. You are right.. he is very green and hasn’t had his ‘breakthrough’ game yet. Having said that he has scored more than Ober this season and looks more threatening with the ball at his feet, it’s not as if he’s keeping nobby Solano out the side whilst he cuts his teeth.

On Simpson – agreed. I don’t think fans appreciate someone doing an able job each week for the team- the Playstation warrior mentality. As you say – we were all over the shop at RB for a long time.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Carroll for Tiote would be ridiculous. Ba is a much more skilled striker. And just the principle of Carroll leaving.

The problem with Obertan is he does all those pointless step overs and the like which most defenders can now deal with. He basically buys time to stay still. Really wish Marveaux hadnt been injured

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Indian Magpie – You and your personal prejudice again. ‘Waste of space’? That’s disgraceful talk. Shame.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Shola deserved a contract extension purely for his character. He wasnt signed up for his ability, I think he and the manager both know that the days of him playing a full 90 are pretty much over, however, I have heard nothing but good things about the mans impact and influence in training.

And he looked decent at times against norwich

• Graeme

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:09 AM

LGFUAD21 – agree, would much sooner have Torres from Chelski.

Once Torres feels the love of the TOON ARMY he will regain his confidence and start banging them in for fun. After 12 months FCB can cash him in for megga bucks and buy a few more great players with the profit!!!

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM

LGF – Really? He has tonnes of ability, hardly a lame duck and lasted 90 min’s against Norwich fine. Goal against spurs, shot against chelsea, assist against norwich just from this season. It’s not 90mins -it’s 2 or 3 games in a row which is the issue.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM

so shola ameobi is the new Gerd Muller and i am not allowed to have an opinion

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Indian Magpie – Except it’s not your opinion, it’s a line that you’re repeating- nay flogging to death. It’s a platitude. Transference. Prejudice- unable to assimilate data intelligently. Jaundice. Call it what you want. It’s not an opinion.

• gorgonzola

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:26 AM

So lots of activity hey? Obertan out, Simmo out, Shola out, Smith out, Perch out, who else that we know off..

• Selbymag

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Ah Indian Magpie – everyone is allowed an opinion, its just that your seem to be ill thought out and mostly attacks on players.
    If anyone disagrees you take the huff and accuse people of having vendettas against you.
    I personally have backed Shola on here a number of times and will stand by my man…he has given us more than Ben Arfa (the second coming as he is deemed on here by many) this season and loves the club passionately.

• Lynxie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Indian & Boater:
    Now play nice chaps! LOL Perhaps Indian Magpie hasnt seen the likes of Billy Whitehurst / Frank Pingel to understand the real meaning of ‘waste of space’……………

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I funking hate that’ ooh he’s not Messi’. It’s like taking your lass to Mcdonalds for an anniversary, and when she complains, say ‘what you want, the ritz?’.. have you heard of something called middle ground?

He’s not Gert Muller, he’s someone who comes in and out as part of the bigger squad picture, assists/scores/holds up the ball and helps the team get points.

• gorgonzola

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

“I personally have backed Shola on here a number of times and will stand by my man…he has given us more than Ben Arfa”

HAHAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Wait a second HAHAHHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH…

ofcoarse he has ….he has been at the club for an eternity….HBA just needs one more week of playing we would have done more…..

What I am sorry to say STUPID comment….

• toonincheek

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Indian Magpie – you are allowed your opinion (even if you are wrong)

And so are others (especially when they are right)

And so am I.

• Selbymag

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Gorgonzola you moron my qoute about shola included the words “this season”. Perhaps trying to read whole sentances would help.
    Perhaps yoou perhaps need to rethink who made the stupid comment.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:34 AM

boater can you please expalin this as part of your comment #19

“helps the team get points”

• gorgonzola

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM

First of all…. I am not a moron…

second of all… if I am a moron you are a the pit of the sceptic tank…

my comment still stands as AMEOBI pretty much sees MORE GAMES and playing time than a lad that desperately needs it…

games like Norwich for example…. where Ameobi was a bit…slooooowww….

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM

putting HBA and Shola in the same bracket is blasphemy,

here we go again

• WWJBD

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Oh joyus another thread bashing our players…wonderful support

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I bet a month afer fracturing his leg HBA cd have dome more than shola

• gorgonzola

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Idnian Magpie…m8 I really do wonder what goes through these peoples minds….

• WWJBD

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Shola has done more for NUFC than HBA this season

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Gorgonzola – you’re another one. You spent the whole weekend ranting and raving on here about all the players you hate. Calm doon lad.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I know gorgonzola

• jayphoto

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

can’t knock shola! Hes put himself on the line for newcastle and played through the pain barrier more than a few times! He’s scored some important goals, and is the consumate professional off the field! You need a few players in the dressing room that know what it is to play for newcastle and shola is 1 of them! I wouldn’t ever want to see him be 1 of our top 2 strikers, but i’d always have a place for him in our squad as a number 4 striker! Plus, if he left, you know he’d haunt us everytime we came up against him!

• gorgonzola

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

In fact I will not take this further as I can clearly see there is no common sense about even arguing about Shola..

( Although I know why people defend him now he saved us 2 points vs spurs and now he is purged of all the crap he has caused us season in and out….)

I do agree he is not complete waste of field space like Perch but he is on that end of the scale…..

You can say what you want its a free blog calling me a moron straight out is pathetic even though I think the whole of the football fraternity knows that HBA cannot be put near Ameobi on almost every level…I just cant believe I am hearing this

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

toon in cheek

opinions are subjective no right or wrong there

• Selbymag

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Gorgonzola – Oh and my dad is bigger than your dad.
    I wasnt expecting any form of apology but neither did I expect petty name calling.
    HBA is not getting game time as he does not currently warrant it.
    His permormance against Chelsea was enough to see him get dragged off after 45 mins ie poor/lazy/selfish in my opinion..
    Games like Norwich were Shola set up our 2nd goal – there is more to football than being quick my friend – its a team sport which Ben Arfa seems not quite grasp yet.

• Lynxie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Right.
    Indian Magpie, on the naughty step.
    Gorgonzola: 100 lines on ‘ I must learn to read the full comment before replying’.

For Gods sake lads man, chill ooot. Its not like Perch is playing central defence again on saturday against a big handy mobile strong target man.

What’s that you say? Danny Graham? Doh!

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

i will give shola 10 out of 10. oh wait -10

• gorgonzola

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Japhoto so a player that tries hard but is utter crap you cannot knock…

How about this..I will put on the number 9 shirt this weekend I will try my heart out there I will break my lef in 9 places I will piss blod for my club….

but it doesnt make a diff…I am absolutely pathetically crap at playing pro football..

end of story.

• boater

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Indian Magpie – it is blasphemy. One has contributed over a number of years and one is just starting out.

WWWJBD got it spot on.. shola has contributed more this season alone, as much as we’d all like Arfa to do well in time.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Boater
    one more goal and HBA will catch up, & shola is not as bad i agree he is worse