Atmosphere In Newcastle Dressing Room Second To None

It’s fairly obvious that the addition of seven new players in the first team squad during the summer,  has raised the standards of the Newcastle squad from last season.

Shane Ferguson – will be patient at Newcastle

That may be one reason that we haven’t seen too much of 20 year-old Derry-born left-sided midfielder Shane Ferguson, who looked good in the Reserves 1-1 draw with Bolton on Tuesday afternoon.

We haven’t seen much at all of Shane this season in the first team, although he did come on very late in the game at Norwich on Saturday, for his first league appearance of the  season, and his 11th appearance in total.

Shane also played in the Carling Cup game at Nottingham Forest in September, but had missed the earlier tie at Scunthorpe through injury.

If you had said that a player on the existing staff had nailed down the left back spot this season, we would have though it would have been Shane rather than Ryan Taylor.

But the lads is still young and he has shown he can play in the Premier League at either left-back or out on the left wing.

Shane, who stands 5’11” tall,  has now recovered from the injury he picked up in the very first pre-season game at Darlington in July, and in the first half  of that game Danny Guthrie was also injured.

Guthrie finally came back and played well in six consecutive games when he came in for the injured Cheick Tiote, but he is now out up to six weeks with a groin strain.

Ferguson remains upbeat about his future at Newcastle, and may even be sent out on loan in January to get more first team experience:

“The lads have all done brilliantly this season so far.” “You cannot really fault any of them.” “If the manager needs me, though, then I am here.”

“I can play midfield or defence but whatever position it is I just want to do a job for the team.” “It is a game everybody believes we can win.”

“Our home record has been very impressive this season, and we will be looking to keep that going.” “The spirit is good here and everybody plays for each other.”

“The atmosphere in the dressing room is second to none.”

Shane signed a new five year deal last May, after impressing Alan Pardew when he came in earlier this year for the injured Jose Enrique, who has since departed the club for Liverpool.

Shane has played for all the Northern Ireland Youth sides and once for the full side in Italy,  when he was just 17 years old.

He seems to have decided to stay playing for Northern Ireland, after there was some news earlier this year that he may want to play for Ireland, who of course made the Euro 2012 finals recently – and those finals will be played  in Poland and the Ukraine

We do expect Shane Ferguson and one or two of the other top youngsters to be sent out on loan in January, and maybe Haris Vuckic will also get some first team experience elsewhere through the summer.

Despite his lack of first team appearances this season, Shane remains a top young prospect at Newcastle.

• dutchy

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Fergies should have got the nod over Lovenkrands when Gutierrez was suspended, and if Raylor didn’t have such a good free kick on him Fergie would have been ahead of him for left back too. Got skills this kid. I like him. I just remember against Stoke last year in the corner..good lad.

• geoff777

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM

@dutchy

If it hadn’t been v Chelsea, Ferguson may well have started.

A young players confidence can be damaged if he has a bad game. (Sturridge was on fire that day).

Then if he looks on the blogs and reads his own team’s fans tearing him to pieces …
    One bad performance and you’re labelled as useless and a ‘moron’ for a couple of seasons by more than a few.

• GeordieToon89

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Al always remember when he stood upto Ben Haim haha tht was class

• Rotonda heights

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM

geoff

How many footballers can actually read. ?

I’m sure the poor lambs can stomach a bit of critcism on their 50k a week pay packets.

It’s like these managers going through a bad spell saying they don’t read the press. Well maybe they should.

• geoff777

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

@Rotonodo

Pretty sure most English speaking players will go online and read about themselves.

Nothing wrong with criticism if it is justified.
    But it should be measured and have a time limit.

One commenter recently said that Guthrie was useless.
    When I said that I thought he’d played very well recently.
    The commenter replied “I remember he had a bad game v Bolton last season”.

There are a lot of fans who seem to have hate campaigns against some of our players.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Geoff

Ferguson started against chelsea at the bridge last year, i think he was injured at the time.

• Klatoon

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM

5’11,he looks 5’2 🙂 i had really high hopes for him,cant forget that messi-like run and shot at Stoke (4-0). I think he suffers from not being nailed down to a regular position,LB/LW

• Dannyo

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM

@dutchu and geoff
    Fergy was unfit after a long spell with injury, thats why he could not have been selected.

• Markaccus

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM

@geoff. The commenter replied “I remember he had a bad game v Bolton last season”. Lmao, there’s just no arguing with that kind of logic!
    I, Myself, am not guthries biggest fan, but he seems to have found his feet in the centre of midfield, breaking play up and getting his passes on target (his biggest weakness imo). Earned his place as tiote/cabaye back up.

• JohnnyBrookes

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Poor comments from AP today that we will get a striker, and maybe a defensive player, and also on Tiote, he’s a big big player and will cost a lot of money. I smell another crushing January coming on, I was really positive this season as well

• Stuart

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM

From those comments I’d say Tiote is probably off like.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM

There is your Smoke, fire will be there soon

• JohnnyBrookes

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:30 AM

The Tiote thing is bad, but I’m more concerned about maybe we will get a cb. We needed a cb before Taylor got injured. I have tried to be really positive this season, but I feel January is the acid test. If we don’t get a cb/lb. and another striker I’m worried as Ba will be gone and Maiga can’t play

• geoff777

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Pardew has just answered a journalist’s question.

An honest answer, better than 100% Tiote is going nowhere.

If Llambias and Ashley start to get big offers I can see Tiote and Cabaye going.

We have enough points to guarantee we won’t be relegated.
    Give Abeid & Gosling playing time.
    Then Graham Carr can identify another batch of talent with a portion of the booty.

• nimo

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Hes never gonna say defjnatley not going.. hes said in the past hr will nevrt say never going again after carrol.. every player has his price.. Man ure sold ronaldo… arsrnal sold fab.. all teams sell if price is right specially when there head is turned.. we shall see if modric goes in jan……… Spurs did same wi berbaslob to maximise value

• Stuart

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Can Cabaye be sold in January?

Wouldn’t that be too many clubs per season?

• geoff777

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM

A player can play for no more than 3 clubs per season (transfers &/or loans).

So I guess Cabaye can be sold.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

@ stuart i think he can be, just to give you a NUFC based example,- David Rozhenal

• Indian Magpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM

another example in the opposite direction

Mikel arteta cannot be sold

• geoff777

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM

To update:
    A player can sign for three clubs but only play for two, unless the seasons overlap (USA, Russia etc).

• boater

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Rotonda – you were on the previous thread saying how Tavernier is way better than Simpson. You take a glimpse of a player i.e. a few minutes from a friendly you watched on a live stream, and extrapolate wildly.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I told you lot that you were taking too much for granted expecting Colo to be fit for Saturday. He’s only 50-50, so you know what that means.God knows when Tiote will be back, if ever. Some of you lap up all the crap that Pardew tells you every week, especially about injuries. I also told you that the talk about Taiwo was garbage. The only player definitely coming in January is Maiga. They HOPE to sign a centre back, but that is it, no full back. On the outgoings, be prepared to say goodbye to Tiote, and the FCB making yet another big profit in the transfer window. That’s what ‘windows’ are for in Ashley’s world.

• DJM TOON

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM

jimmymagpie???

jimmymackem more like

i’ve never read so much fear mongering tripe in all my life

do you read the daily mail too?

• Selbymag

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM

DJM to only real issue with jimmymagpie is that he is usually right

• DJM TOON

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:33 PM

*wife

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM

DJM – My big advantage over you mate is that I was at Pardew’s press conference this morning, where he admitted that Colo was not as fit at this stage, as he (pardew), said he would be at the beginning of the week. He also admitted that Tiote COULD go in January if somebody paid big money – When were certain clubs not capable of paying big money? As regards Ashley, give one ‘window’ he didn’t make a profit, and don’t give this bollocks about agent’s fees etc. This club only paid £7m in agents fees in the two windows this year. Look at the accounts, dumbo, and stick to your computer. Leave the ins and outs at NUFC to those who KNOW what is happening.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

DJM – as for sitting at home, I have been at every home and away game bar one this season, and that was for medical reasons. I am at the training ground at least twice week, doing part time work for one of the physios. I am 77 years old, am a retired Chartered Physiotherapist, and looked after professional sportsman for over 20 years in private practice. I saw my first game at SJP in 1948, and have great memories of something you never will – this once great club winning major domestic trophies.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:48 PM

DJM – living with a f-ckwit like you, your wife must be right about everything – it would be impossible not to be. Poor woman! Bye bye – off to the pub.

• Selbymag

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM

DJM well done on getting a wife mate that must have been a pleasant shock for people who know you. Was she from one of the adverts on this site she must have set you back a few quid??

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM

DJM – pint with a whisky chaser actually – prick. The only person I think I’m superior to on here is you – But there again who isn’t?

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM

DJM- If you want the police called in and this website closed down for slurs like that, just keep it up.

• Markaccus

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Wow djm!! Calling someone a peadophile just because you don’t agree!? That’s a bit much, you could get this whole blog shut down over something like that! Hardly fair on ed is it?

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:40 PM

My lonely life consists of a lovely wife, four sons, ten grandchildren, two working days a week at NUFC, and travelling all over the country every weekend with many good friends watching the team. You are the type that people refer to as a brainless gutter twerp – unemployed no doubt, something I ‘ve never been, not even at 77. When this blog gets closed down, everybody knows who to blame.

• Markaccus

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

You don’t understand, djm. I couldn’t give a fxxk about yours and his argument, its not my problem. However I like reading this blog and if you resort to slander beyond the normal silly name calling, then the blog could be closed down, and its ruined for everyone else. I’m sure Ed and most others don’t want that, so for our sake, (and your own, legally) please lay off the kiddy fiddling slurs.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Ed – good luck mate, I know what you’re going through, having had the radiation/chemo treatment earlier this year on a stomach tumor. Mine hadn’t spread like yours’, and my thoughts are with you I sincerely hope that you have the level of loving support that I had and have because it helps a hell of a lot. I’m sure I’m not alone on here in sending you my best wishes.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM

DJM – you really are a nasty vile ignoramus. Jealous no doubt of others’ intellect and education. You’re worse than a mackem!

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Bye the way – never read the Daily Mail in my life. No doubt you don’t get past page 3 of the Sun. Won’t your wife let you ? Can’t blame her really.

• Markaccus

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Djm. It is illeagal to accuse someone of being a peado without proof, no matter which paper they read! Why is that hard to understand. If Jimmy made a legal complaint, and I wouldn’t blame him, then there would be an investigation, during which this site would be suspended, and after which, hopefully, you would be made to pay for your slander. Its a disgraceful thing to accuse someone of, innocent people have been beaten badly because of crap like this.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Markaccus – thank you for your input mate, but of course it’s a waste of time trying to get through to braindead idiots like him. The best way is to ignore him from now on, and let him spout his vile drivel to himself. I have reported his posting, but this blog won’t be closed – I’ll see to that. I wouldn’t dream of spoiling the pleasure of many decent people like yourself – just ignore the twerp.