web analytics

Evidence Ashley And LLambias Want To Build Top Newcastle Side

We gave come to think over the last month or so that Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias really do want to build a top side at Newcastle.

Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias – want to build good side

Part of that is the excellent summer transfer window, that we didn’t realize was that good, until we saw how good players like Cabaye, Demba Ba and young Mehdi Abeid really were.

We think Newcastle now have a huge advantage over a lot of other clubs because of their excellent scouting network and we have to hope Graham Carr and his scouts are identfyiny top new players, who will not cost much for Newcastle, which will please Mike Ashley. 😀

And we were really pleased to see that Newcastle went after 22 year-old James Tomkins of West Ham last weekend, even though the initial bid of £2.5M was turned down.

And we’d love for the club to increase that offer and go back in for James, but we cannot see Sam Allardyce selling, at least not next month.

Newcastle will finally bring Mobido Maiga in next month from Sochaux, and the biggest priority in January is to bring in another quality center-back.

Newcastle  have now proved that having three quality center-backs in the squad is not enough, and we need four, just like we need four top strikers.

Alan Pardew said this morning that owner Ashley had already asked him which center-back he was thinking of bringing in, and there’s another comment from Alan which suggests Mike and Derek are as keen as anybody to get another central defender in next month.

This is what Alan said today:

“I don’t think I need to strengthen my hand.”  “I think you would be surprised – Mike and Derek are probably more keen to bring in a central defender than I am, so don’t worry about that.”

And in retrospect the two big decisions the two took that simply shocked Newcastle fans, have turned out to be okay moves.

The first was the unfair firing of Chris Hughton last December, and the subsequent  hiring of Alan Pardew, and  the other was the selling of Andy Carroll to Liverpool for £35M, and to put it politely Andy has not looked a £35M player at Liverpool, well not yet anyway.

And Newcastle are doing their level best to keep their top players, with right-back Danny Simpson still holding out on his new deal, which Alan talked about today:

“We will just run to the summer and see where we go then.” “I’m not disappointed or hopeful about it – it’s just business. He either does a deal here or he doesn’t – and if he doesn’t do a deal, we will get somebody else.”

The news this morning on Simpson was that he had agreed the wages on the new contract, but not how they would be paid – and that’s the latest on that, but presumably negotiations could now be held in abeyance until the summer.

And the negotiations are ongoing to get a new five year deal for captain Fab Coloccini, and that’s extremely important that we keep the Argentine at Newcastle.

Fab is not only an excellent player but is a great guy and a very good captain, and in own quiet way has an enormous positive influence at Newcastle.

So all in all, the top two are doing a decent job of  improving the strength of the Newcastle squad over the last six months or so, even if they will never win a popularity contest on Tyneside.

But we all want to see is Newcastle grow into a top side again, that’s all, and now to get all 3 points on Saturday.

• seantoon

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Ooo Ruddys looking for an argument with someone else as usual today the little bellend. It was a joke I just said rather than spend money in the casino get it pumped into the club budget and gamble with it that way! Never said he was using the clubs money!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Whether Pards says nothing or says a lot it won’t change the fact that some clubs are going to come in for Tiote and we have to be ready for whatever happens. If he said nothing on the matter the scaremongering folk on here would be taking that as a sure fire sign that he was out the door, so regardless of what he says or does there are certain sections of supporters who are going to read into comments, lack of comments, injury reports or whatever to make others believe that Tiote is gone. Instead of inspiring fear and anxiety into others how about chilling out and seeing what happens.

• soundoid

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I get to see a lot of press conferences for my work. Journalist’s always ask the questions that will generate good copy. Like Ruddy said he was only answering a question and not trying to get caught out, with what may or may not happen in the future.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM

I’m looking for an argument? Remind me, who called who a bellend? Wasn’t insulting you, seems like you’re a bit too quick to jump down my throat so chill out will you.

• MacToon

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Simple to say “we’ll have to wait and see, we are more interested in buying than selling at the moment” and it basically leaves them (and us) no wiser than before.

• seantoon

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:39 PM

You said I was living in my own little world!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Re-read the comment. I was effectively agreeing with the point you made. I didn’t once suggest that you were in your own little world, I said that anyone that thinks Ashley is spending NUFC money in a casino then they are living in their own little world.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:44 PM

@Seantoon I think you just need to chill out, you’re taking a fairly innocuous comment very seriously.

• seantoon

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I must have read your comment wrong too then. I’ll take the bellend remark back

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Soundoid
    Yeah I understand that fully (defended Barton with that little number myself not so long ago haha) but can he not simply say ‘I have answered that question numerous times in the past few days so next question please’?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM

No worries, there are plenty that would have stood by the bellend remark 😛

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:47 PM

WWJBD but Journalists would run with that too, “Pardew refuses to comment on Tiote transfer speculation, sparks rumours that he may be out the door” and other such headlines would surely follow. Journalists are slippery devils like that

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Ruddy
    True I suppose…maybe he can just ask who Simon Bird is 😉

• Dannyo

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM

@WWJBD
    I think transfer windows were better when i stayed away from the blogs, lol. Maybe something i should do in January then, lol.
    U seen that West Ham fellah play? He’s really that good? A surprise no one has gone for him sooner tbh, if he’s that good. Would u rate him above Ridgewell? I’ve never seen the lad.

• soundoid

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:06 PM

WWJBD,

He could have said that, but then the next Journo would ask the same question just framed differently. If you say the same thing again, they get a better story

“Pardew Silent on Tiote Deal”

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Dannyo
    Tomkins? I havent seen that much of him tbh but what I have seen I have liked. He is big, strong and solid from what I have seen and has a good header on him. Represented England at every level up to u21s and he is only 22

As for people being after him I have no idea but West Ham are his team and, tbf to them, they are a fairly decent team maybe he has been over looked because of that?

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Oh and above Ridgewell….hmmm….overall yes because he is still growing into the finished article imo probably on par with ability at the moment (not a bad thing as Ridgewell is solid and wouldnt be a bad signing either though he is the defender he will always be now imo)

• soundoid

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Ruddy! Snap! almost the same comment!

• Toon Tang

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:20 PM

soundoid

haha probs coz ya just read ruddy’s and then rewrote your own haha it came 20 min after

• soundoid

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I should probably refresh a bit more often:)

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM

If only everyone was as sharp as me…that’s a joke btw despite what people think I’m not actually an arrogant ar$ehole haha

WWJBD if Tomkins can’t break into the West Ham team, and they are in the fizzy pop, is he good enough to play in the Premier League?

• soundoid

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Ruddy i still can’t help but read your comments with the voice of Stewie Griffin.

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Ruddy
    He played 19 times for the Hammers in the PL and has played 18 times for them this season (wiki stats I wont lie)

He is still only 22 and has been capped at every level for England barring senior might not be a straight away starter but I think he would be great back up and would only improve (look at Williamson our 1million pound man)

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Oh thats 19 times last season for the Hammers in the PL not for his entire career with them

• ITUNDERASHELL

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Ashley and Llambias are way ahead of 90% on this blog and this article is very fair in its analysis of our club.
    Better players at less cost, our ex-superhero Dick Barton said as much, he said and I quote “there bringing in better players for less money”. Well I for one won’t argue with him, I also notice he has gone very quite since Llambias has decided enough is enough and threatened to call in a legal team, brave boy is Barton, not.
    Look at the team they are assembling, and I might add the envy emanating from other premiership clubs revolving around our adoption of a brilliant scouting and aquisition of top, top young players in France.
    We are not leading up the rear like we always were and are getting first, grudging praise and now whole hearted support from the intelligent broadsheet press.
    So I would suggest some of you wait until after the January window closes, although if the price is not right you will have to wait until the price is right.
    Just watch and wonder how a club that has been run by a group of jokers is transformed into a seriously ambitious club which I might add is fit for the best supporters in the land.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I was just goin on your comment that he was bein overlooked I don’t know West Ham’s squad that well so I shall submit to your superior knowledge WWJBD haha

@soundoid…whatever turns you on mate…whatever turns you on 😉

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Ruddy
    Haha ah right well yeah he hasent always had a look in at West Ham been pushed back due to new signings and, imo, stunted from growing as fast but I more meant over looked in terms of being a transfer target

I am no expert on Hammers squad either bud haha and I could very well be wrong, I am only going off the few times I have seen him play and he looked more than decent. Was also touted as one of the best english prospects if I do recall correctly (much like a certain Steven Taylor) but has never really hit that next phase in his career (again like Saylor) yet

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:00 PM

@stevewraith steve wraith
    Colo in and Tiote on bench Saturday someone reckons and rumour Ryan Taylor injured????

Make of it what u will he is king negger but he does have friends close to NUFC

• Sir Alan

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Anyone watching the Birmingham game? Nathan Redmond looks a potential star!! 17 year old right winger and easily the best player on the park. We should be looking at these types of players, would love to see our wingers as Zaha and Redmond. Also Gomis? Anyone know him? centre mid from Senegal, plays for Birmingham and looks like a similar player to Tiote.

• Dannyo

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM

@WWJBD
    Well, all i can say is i hope that Steve Wraith is right on this occation…
    I used to follow him on twitter, but i unfollowed, i dislike the man, badly.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I’ve seen Zaha a few times, think he is a real star in the making, heard good things about Redmond too.
    @WWJBD you’re right about Tomkins, I remember him breaking onto the scene and everyone being really excited about his potential and he has never really got going, but as you say, he is only 22. Well if you believe the press then we have identified him as a transfer target having already had a 2.5 million quid bid turned down so maybe we are turning up the heat on that particular one and coming back in with another one. Btw that is interesting about Colo/Tiote/Raylor will be interesting to see if it is true. Is he reliable?Can’t say I have heard of him.

• geordiefinn

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Fraser Forster doing some quality saves now (Udinese – Celtic)…

• geordiefinn

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Scott Brown’s a total crap it seems….. hopefully we wont go after him. he’s like Alan Smith – slow and doing silly mistakes all time.

• seantoon

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I personally would rather we rest colo and tiote against Swansea for the simple fact I’ve got tickets for the west brom game and i want a decent team out. Hopefully willo will be back too.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Sir Alan, was going to say that myself. Redmond is well worth a shout.

• JackButler

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM

How the hell does Ashley want to build a top side with when no doubt if a big enough offer was to come in for the likes of Tiote, Cabaye or Colo, the fat man would bite their hands off and then would feed us bull about reinvesting the money, Andy Carrol and 35 million mean anything?

• seantoon

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM

@jackbutler
    Mike Ashley would have been wrong in the head not to take 35mill for Carroll! Yes he should probably have reinvested more of it but we’ve gone from strength to strength since the transfer and were also financially better. Aslong as the points keep mounting up I’m happy

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Dannyo
    Aye am not his biggest fan either but the odd time he is worth following

Ruddy
    Steve is fairly reliable but it tends to be all stuff he hears from friends he has in and around the club. Its not gospel but its probably not too far from the truth

Sir Alan and GG
    Redmond is a brilliant prospect but if we got him where would that leave our own little wonderkid Sammy? I think Redmond is better off staying with Hughton for awhile so he can fully progess as a player (wont happen like as some big club will snap him up and screw up his career no doubt)

• WWJBD

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Strenght to strenght since the AC transfer? Must be forgetting the back end of last season after Best got crocked we werent looking very strong at all

• GeordieGerman

Dec 15, 2011 at 10:11 PM

JB, If I bought a car for 1 thousand and 2 years later sold it for 20 thousand what would you say?